2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, sure- I'd like to see it too. I would like to draft someone like Tim Duncan- a completely developed player, but that's not going to happen. If you are looking for a fully developed player in this draft, you're going to be disappointed.

I know that. Its just why I take Oladipo over Smart (slight edge). VO has already shown the improvement in shooting that you would hope to get from Smart. Yes, he is a year or so ahead of Smart too. So, it is not unreasonable to expect that Smart could improve in a similar fashion.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IF the Suns end up with top 3 odds in the lottery (very possible) and if the Lakers miss the playoffs (becoming more possible if Nash is really injured), then I was looking at all the possible combinations of picks the Suns could have. I came up with this list. Maybe we should have a poll and see who guesses right. I am sure some of the math geeks on the board can actually come up with odds for each combo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF the Suns end up with top 3 odds in the lottery (very possible) and if the Lakers miss the playoffs (becoming more possible if Nash is really injured), then I was looking at all the possible combinations of picks the Suns could have. I came up with this list. Maybe we should have a poll and see who guesses right. I am sure some of the math geeks on the board can actually come up with odds for each combo.

Don't you need a 2,1 and a 3,1 and a 4,1 and a 3,2 and a 4,1 and a 4,2 and a 4,3 and so on? Or did you mean for 1,2 to also cover for 2,1?

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't you need a 2,1 and a 3,1 and a 4,1 and a 3,2 and a 4,1 and a 4,2 and a 4,3 and so on? Or did you mean for 1,2 to also cover for 2,1?

Steve

Its just a list of possible combinations. For a few of the combinations there are two ways of achieving. So yes, 1,2 would cover Lakers,Suns and Suns,Lakers etc. The only picks with two possible ways are 1,2 1,3 and 2,3.

Of course, all the combos ending in 14 are far and away the most likely. Its just interesting to see the possibilities.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its just a list of possible combinations. For a few of the combinations there are two ways of achieving. So yes, 1,2 would cover Lakers,Suns and Suns,Lakers etc. The only picks with two possible ways are 1,2 1,3 and 2,3.

Of course, all the combos ending in 14 are far and away the most likely. Its just interesting to see the possibilities.

Yeah, if we get the Lakers pick it will almost definitely be 14 but it beats the heck out of the alternative.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If, by some miracle, we ended up with 2 in the top 3 I am not sure that we'd ever know which was which.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am sure some of the math geeks on the board can actually come up with odds for each combo.

The list looks right. The probabilities aren't independent, but they're close enough that you can probably just multiply the sub-probabilities of each pair and get very close to the right answer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice to see McLemore step up big tonight. If we somehow got him, a Dragic/McLemore backcourt would be a pretty solid duo to start building around.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dragic is already too old and mediocre to "build around".

Trey Burke played himself into the lottery today. He was probably the most ready PG prospect already anyway.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Dragic is already too old and mediocre to "build around".

Trey Burke played himself into the lottery today. He was probably the most ready PG prospect already anyway.
I am totally with you on drafting Burke, but I would do it with the intent of him playing with Dragic. Then look to trade Marshall possibly if we can get something decent for him.

I just think Burke will probably be the best player to come out of this draft. He is one of the best scorers and one of the best facilitators in this draft. I could see him being a 20 and 8 guy after a couple years in the league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am totally with you on drafting Burke, but I would do it with the intent of him playing with Dragic. Then look to trade Marshall possibly if we can get something decent for him.

I just think Burke will probably be the best player to come out of this draft. He is one of the best scorers and one of the best facilitators in this draft. I could see him being a 20 and 8 guy after a couple years in the league.

Maybe a frozen pizza or a couple of Hot Pockets but that's about it.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burke was already in the lottery since months based on his play.

Agreed. All season long he's been a front runner for player of the year for the toughest conference in college basketball and a lock for the lottery.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Burke has been projected between #10-24 most of the year... he probably played himself into top 10 or even top 7 range.

(shouldn't be our main target though)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
1. Anthony Benett

I just can't envision Anthony Benett being a success in the NBA.

He is 6'7 and clearly a power forward in college. He is not THAT athletic even if he has long arms he will be a midget PF. He sees himself as a SG/SF in the NBA but his handles in my opinion are only good if you compare him to other big players.

His perimeter game is not that good now and I don't think he is Charles Barkley. Who knows maybe he proves everyone wrong and develops like Barkley but odds say it is unlikely.

2. Marcus Smart

I don't know what to make of this guy. I'd be happy to pick him at #15 but at #4? Everytime I watch him he looks SLOW. He is not that athletic, he looks a bit overweight and he is shooting low percentages.
Maybe a little bit like Tyreke Evans... He is a tweener too, he should be a big PG in the NBA and work on his body and shooting percentage..

3. Victor Oladipo

Everything tells me role player. He is athletic and plays hard but that is it. His talent does not look too good especially offensively he does not have "it". He does not create, he is a garbage man or can hit an open shot. Like Smart I'd be ok to pick him at #15 but not at #4.

And about the other mentioned lottery candidates:

- Cody Zeller - yuck no way
- Alex Len - would be "ok" but does not get me excited at all
- Trey Burke - not good enough to pick when you already have Dragic and Marshall and needs everywhere

1. McLemore - if he works hard I think he has a great base to develop into a very good all around shooting guard.
2. Noel - torn ACL is a long term injury but nothing like a microfracture or anything - could be a franchise changer if he develops properly at the PF position.
3. Muhammad - still has the talent and scoring ability and his flaws looks fixable
4. Otto Porter - does a bit of everything, looks like a prototype SF. We already have Dudley, Beasley, Tucker, Morris, Johnson at the 3 but Porter looks like he could be the next Danny Granger or so and might simply be the best player available.

Darkhorse : Goodwin
I think he is underrated. He has a lot of talent would absolutely love to get him with the Lakers pick.

Those are still the players I like the most and I'd be unhappy with pretty much everyone else in the lottery. I think we should absolutely make sure we get one of McLemore, Noel or Muhammad so a top 3 pick or trading up from say #5 or so would be great..

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are still the players I like the most. Muhammad for all the BS about his age or egocentric diva attitude still is a superior talent. Obviously he has flaws in his ball handling and passing but i'd rather try to fix that than try to teach someone "talent".

You can't teach someone "talent" but these guys you are dismissing have plenty of "talent". Not as talented as Shabazz but they are talented. If Shabazz gets drafted by the Kings, Cousins will no longer be their biggest headcase. How often does someone like that actually turn it around in the NBA? Also, you echo the popular opinion that Bennett won't have a position in the NBA - what position will Bazz play? He dominates against less mature defenders but he won't be facing them at the next level. And his flaws on the offensive side of the ball pale in comparison to his issues on defense.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shabazz has excellent size at the shooting guard position and a good shooting touch on the catch and shoot.

I don't see how Shabazz will have a trouble finding a position in the NBA. At worst he could be Raja Bell on offense. There are plenty shooting guards who can't do anything offensively except making open 3s.

I also think the headcase issues are way overblown. There are issues but a lot of that is his father, the only headcase thing with Shabazz is that right now he is a selfish diva. Kobe Bryant is the same kind of headcase.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

We will probably never get a young player like that again anytime soon. It's so sad this stupid microfracture surgery.. if it was not for that we would still have a franchise caliber player in his prime and be a playoff team easily.

Man I hope Amare will be a Sun again sometime after his monster contract is up and retire.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shabazz has excellent size at the shooting guard position and a good shooting touch on the catch and shoot.

I don't see how Shabazz will have a trouble finding a position in the NBA. At worst he could be Raja Bell on offense. There are plenty shooting guards who can't do anything offensively except making open 3s.

I also think the headcase issues are way overblown. There are issues but a lot of that is his father, the only headcase thing with Shabazz is that right now he is a selfish diva. Kobe Bryant is the same kind of headcase.

Did you see UCLA play once this year? he's not a 2, he didn't play 2 all year, and he couldn't guard 3's they went right by him, how's he going to guard NBA 2's?

They were talking about the West Virginia QB this morning and reports on his intangibles and one of the 2 guys on ESPN talked about how scouts see the same kid and differ. He said I've had NBA people tell me they wouldn't take Shabazz in the first SIXTY picks, and I've had others tell me they could CONVINCE themselves he's a top 10 pick. Not exactly glowing.

It's not BS that he's a selfish player, he showed that all year.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sad that #32 never learned how to rebound, or box out, or play defense, or... whats the point. sigh what could've been!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Sad that #32 never learned how to rebound, or box out, or play defense, or... whats the point. sigh what could've been!

He rebounded well enough as a a rookie and in general before his last season here.

He also played decent enough defense as a rookie especially.

Injuries clearly made him softer , that is all.

Dude was a 26/9 player when healthy. He was a 25/8 player and MVP candidate in New York in his first season.

There is nothing to bemoan about unfulfilled potential. He was a top MVP candidate when healthy that is as good as it gets pretty much and that was before what would have been his prime.

Injuries, injuriesm injuries..

9 rebound per game is actually pretty good in todays game, this season there won't be a single player getting 20/10 averages..

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Cavs knew which was which because the Clipper pick, by rule, could not have been 4th.

They always know because the combinations are still the Lakers combinations.

They will probably have it as the Lakers pick at the time of the lottery draw anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake