2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
While I completely agree with the "no bad defenders" school of thought, the Suns are desperate for some scoring, and this draft (outside of Porter, Oladipo, and Smart) is completely void of good defenders who can score. I am still not convinced Oladipo will be better than PJ Tucker/ Tony Allen.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is just exagerration with Adrian Peterson. Many top athletes have returned from ACL surgeries as strong as ever.

ACL surgery is not that scary anymore it just a long term injury. Especially at Noels age he has good chances.
There are more players who have never been even remotely the same after their ACL injuries than players who actually weren't diminished by their ACL injury.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am not interested in drafting a bad defender. To me, that leaves out Shabazz and Bennett. Bennett might be the most productive rookie offensively of this bunch, but his defense is so notoriously bad. I understand Nash's bad defense. He is just plain athletically limited. But when a player who is a good athlete is a bad defender, he either has had very bad coaching or he is a prima donna.

One of those is enough.
Eh you have to realize one thing though, defense isn't preached much in college. A lot of schools don't see defense as a priority at all.

Many guys come into this league and then become good defenders. A lot of rookies are bad defenders but eventually become better and become good. Especially superstar players.

LeBron, Melo, Durant were all bad defenders when they first entered the league and now became good.

Also, if you had the chance at getting Harden, are you telling me you wouldn't do it even though he's athletic but is still a poor defender?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eh you have to realize one thing though, defense isn't preached much in college. A lot of schools don't see defense as a priority at all.

Many guys come into this league and then become good defenders. A lot of rookies are bad defenders but eventually become better and become good. Especially superstar players.

LeBron, Melo, Durant were all bad defenders when they first entered the league and now became good.

Also, if you had the chance at getting Harden, are you telling me you wouldn't do it even though he's athletic but is still a poor defender?

Being a below average defender in college is one thing (which might be fixable) but I do question Shabazz's athleticism as well.

He is big and has a good wingspan which may mislead people regarding his athleticism, but I doubt that he will be a good athlete by NBA standards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Being a below average defender in college is one thing (which might be fixable) but I do question Shabazz's athleticism as well.

He is big and has a good wingspan which may mislead people regarding his athleticism, but I doubt that he will be a good athlete by NBA standards.
Not comparing his skill set to him but I think Shabazz is about as athletic as Kobe was when he came into the league.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not comparing his skill set to him but I think Shabazz is about as athletic as Kobe was when he came into the league.

Not... even... remotely... close... and this is from someone who hates Kobe.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1st tier: McLemore and Noel (although Noel just plain scares me, I keep thinking of Sam Bowie.)
with all this talk of Noel's "potential" I keep thinking of Darko Milicic.
Dudes game was flawed (I'm being nice)before the ACL injury.
I see a Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman/Tyson Chandler type ceiling for Noel (at best).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a Ben Wallace/Dennis Rodman/Tyson Chandler type ceiling for Noel (at best).

So do I but if I were sure he'd reach that level I'd probably draft him with the number one pick. As it is, he's a gamble as a player and he's a gamble medically and his ceiling just isn't worth that much risk. This is a bad draft but it's not bad enough to take Noel especially since he's not likely to hit his stride until his second contract.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok fine let me rephrase, Shabazz has the same athleticism the Kobe of the past 5 years has...better?

Reaction score
Nothing nor anybody can help the Suns. They've been pzz poor for several years and I see no hope and they still get a TV contract. Who knows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not... even... remotely... close... and this is from someone who hates Kobe.

Yeah not close, not nearly as laterally quick, not the same kind of leaper. Much stronger but then Kobe was 17 I think.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok fine let me rephrase, Shabazz has the same athleticism the Kobe of the past 5 years has...better?

I'd still disagree, Shabazz has trouble beating college guys off the dribble, instead he has to muscle his way in (and that wont work against the size of forwards he will see in the NBA). Kobe is not the high flying guy he once was but he is still very athletic.

And even if it was a comparable situation, to say "Shabazz at 20 is roughly the same as a dude in his 30s" is not casting him in a favorable light.

IMO, a much more accurate BEST CASE comparison for Shabazz is Paul Pierce.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So do I but if I were sure he'd reach that level I'd probably draft him with the number one pick. As it is, he's a gamble as a player and he's a gamble medically and his ceiling just isn't worth that much risk. This is a bad draft but it's not bad enough to take Noel especially since he's not likely to hit his stride until his second contract.

Steve
He should stay in school for three years.
see post #1.:)
If stays in school I could see him reaching his potential.

IMO, a much more accurate BEST CASE comparison for Shabazz is Paul Pierce.
You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's generous I think.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Cleveland beating Boston we are now tied for #3 in the lottery standings. Unfortunately we beat Cleveland twice but luckily Irving is back and Cleveland still plays Charlotte, Orlando and Detroit.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cleveland beating Boston we are now tied for #3 in the lottery standings. Unfortunately we beat Cleveland twice but luckily Irving is back and Cleveland still plays Charlotte, Orlando and Detroit.

Head to head record does not matter for lotto determinations. The NBA does some arbitrary additional "drawing" between tied teams prior to the draft to determine lotto odds.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a shame Mitch McGary is going back to school. He would be my pick if I was PHX, this guy is taking over in the tournament. With that said, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr & Glenn Robinson III could fill needs on the wing and back up PG, really sucks that there is not an impact big man in this draft. Jeff Withey would be a nice pick if we end up with the MIA pick.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a shame Mitch McGary is going back to school. He would be my pick if I was PHX, this guy is taking over in the tournament. With that said, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr & Glenn Robinson III could fill needs on the wing and back up PG, really sucks that there is not an impact big man in this draft. Jeff Withey would be a nice pick if we end up with the MIA pick.

I expect him to announce for the NBA unless Louisville shuts him down. He has till the end of this month to declare and it doesn't really matter what they've said up to this point. No big man has shown as much as him in the tourney and that's without him really being showcased, he'd be an easy top 8 pick if he has another good game on Monday.

Steve

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake