2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a shame Mitch McGary is going back to school. He would be my pick if I was PHX, this guy is taking over in the tournament. With that said, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr & Glenn Robinson III could fill needs on the wing and back up PG, really sucks that there is not an impact big man in this draft. Jeff Withey would be a nice pick if we end up with the MIA pick.

Agree about McGary, he's just a beast. For a guy his size his vision and ability to handle the ball are pretty impressive as well. Also how come CJ Fair isn't on anyone's radar? He's been Syracuse's most consistent offensive player all year and had a really solid game yesterday

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at Noel, to me he reminds me most of Kevin Garnett when he was a rookie. Young, incredibly gifted 6-11 player, with a developing body and limited offensive skill set. It took him about 3 years to really develop.

Its about the same gamble. He might develop and likely not. Garnett is the best possible comparison.

I have no idea about the ACL, but he also had an injury in HS with a break to a growth plate. Any judgment I have on that injury is worthless, but the Suns med staff should be absolutely confident that his knee and leg problems do not become chronic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at Noel, to me he reminds me most of Kevin Garnett when he was a rookie. Young, incredibly gifted 6-11 player, with a developing body and limited offensive skill set. It took him about 3 years to really develop.

Its about the same gamble. He might develop and likely not. Garnett is the best possible comparison.

I have no idea about the ACL, but he also had an injury in HS with a break to a growth plate. Any judgment I have on that injury is worthless, but the Suns med staff should be absolutely confident that his knee and leg problems do not become chronic.

I don't know, this seems like quite a stretch to me. Garnett was a far more complete and polished player than Noel and the only similarities I see are in frame and length. I'm not saying Kevin was a finished product but compared to Nerlens he was, IMO. If I thought Noel had the up-side of Garnett and was anywhere close to Kevin straight out of school I'd trade both our picks this year and Gortat, Dudley, Brown and the Morris twins to move up the spot or two it took to get him.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, this seems like quite a stretch to me. Garnett was a far more complete and polished player than Noel and the only similarities I see are in frame and length. I'm not saying Kevin was a finished product but compared to Nerlens he was, IMO. If I thought Noel had the up-side of Garnett and was anywhere close to Kevin straight out of school I'd trade both our picks this year and Gortat, Dudley, Brown and the Morris twins to move up the spot or two it took to get him.

Steve

I remember Garnett being a very unpolished high schooler.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Garnett being a very unpolished high schooler.

Hmm. Our memories do not match. I remember him wowing the talking heads with how advanced his game was for a kid straight out of high school, something that just wasn't done back then. He averaged double digit points his rookie year despite limited playing time and put up 17 and 8 his second year. Sure, he became a much more polished player and he wasn't the force out of high school that Amare was but he was a much more complete player than Noel.

The odds-on best case scenario is Tyson Chandler not Garnett or Camby, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a half dozen years before Noel had any real impact on the pro game. Even then, he'd need to be on the right team and I just don't think he'll ever be the best player on a legit team - I don't think he has that kind of potential. If there was ever a draft to risk on a big guy with great hops and length but huge warts this is probably the draft but he's better than even money to be a huge disappointment to the team that selects him.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching the Louisville/ Michigan final. Haven't watched much college basketball this season but how does Louisville PG Peyton Siva not even get mentioned in the second round of mock drafts? Although he is only 6 foot, he can really run a team, is athletic, plus a tenacious defender.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. Our memories do not match. I remember him wowing the talking heads with how advanced his game was for a kid straight out of high school, something that just wasn't done back then. He averaged double digit points his rookie year despite limited playing time and put up 17 and 8 his second year. Sure, he became a much more polished player and he wasn't the force out of high school that Amare was but he was a much more complete player than Noel.

The odds-on best case scenario is Tyson Chandler not Garnett or Camby, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a half dozen years before Noel had any real impact on the pro game. Even then, he'd need to be on the right team and I just don't think he'll ever be the best player on a legit team - I don't think he has that kind of potential. If there was ever a draft to risk on a big guy with great hops and length but huge warts this is probably the draft but he's better than even money to be a huge disappointment to the team that selects him.

Steve

I guess I could be a bit fuzzy about Garnett as a rookie.

My point about Noel was that he is similar in body and he will take time to develop. I guess I did not make it very well.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You do understand how probability works, don't you? What possible difference does it make how many tries it took you under these irrelevant circumstances?

haha I swear you made this same post last year.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You do understand how probability works, don't you? What possible difference does it make how many tries it took you under these irrelevant circumstances?

Not sure what your point is, you can go figure out yourself that since it took me 8 tries - I was lucky, nothing more or nothing less.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, did anyone have any thoughts about Louisville PG Peyton Siva. I was impressed even if he is not mentioned in any mocks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, did anyone have any thoughts about Louisville PG Peyton Siva. I was impressed even if he is not mentioned in any mocks.

Usually, undersized senior point guards go undrafted. OTOH, leading your team to an NCAA Championship raises your profile considerably. I don't really know what to make of Siva. I'd much rather have him than Kendall Marshall but I don't think I'd want to spend a valuable pick on him - maybe a 2nd if he's still there. At least he's got an NBA worthy first step.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I liked Kendall in the 2 games he started he put up 11.5apg and didnt even play full starters minutes. He is a project but oh well..

Kendall will be at worst a good backup PG once his shot gets better and more consistent.

I predict Shabazz will rise after the combine and workouts. He is getting underrated bc of all that stuff around him but people forget he is just a freshman and UCLA was a bad situation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Kendall in the 2 games he started he put up 11.5apg and didnt even play full starters minutes. He is a project but oh well..

Kendall will be at worst a good backup PG once his shot gets better and more consistent.

I predict Shabazz will rise after the combine and workouts. He is getting underrated bc of all that stuff around him but people forget he is just a freshman and UCLA was a bad situation.

Kendall has shown some signs of improvement but I still think he was a huge reach. If he can become a more consistent threat from the outside he'll be a solid backup but his problems on defense aren't likely to go away. I don't think you draft a PG for his defensive prowess but you don't want a complete liability there either.

I agree that Shabazz will probably rise after the workouts but that's as much due to the lack of talent in this class as anything. I suspect he'll go top 5.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The funny thing is Bazz hasn't even declared for the draft yet but everytime someone asks on a UCLA board any chance he comes back the most common response is "I hope not."

I agree that playing for a lame duck coach isn't easy but Bazz had it pretty easy, he was in a new uptempo offense, he had a total green light to shoot, he didn't get benched for not defending, if he doesn't go as high as expected its because the holes in his game and more importantly his APPROACH to the game were exposed. He's a very selfish player who's a year older than people knew and he has a limited athletic upside, he's as close to physically maxed out as a 20 year old can be.

It just speaks a lot to me that it's like 4 to 1 want him to go when it comes up on UCLA boards. Very polarizing, he's not a bad kid like Nelson was or a whiner like Jrue was, he's just a very selfish player and people think the team will be better off without him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually, undersized senior point guards go undrafted. OTOH, leading your team to an NCAA Championship raises your profile considerably. I don't really know what to make of Siva. I'd much rather have him than Kendall Marshall but I don't think I'd want to spend a valuable pick on him - maybe a 2nd if he's still there. At least he's got an NBA worthy first step.

Steve

Surprisingly, in last night's game, his tenacity on defense first caught my eye even though he is only 6 foot. He really gets after it. I think some team is going to get a very good PG whether he is drafted or not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, in last night's game, his tenacity on defense first caught my eye even though he is only 6 foot. He really gets after it. I think some team is going to get a very good PG whether he is drafted or not.

I like Siva I guess the question on him early was he was a shoot first PG and he tends to be out of control. he's gotten much better. I do think it's remarkable that they won an NC with 2 guards who are that small, very inconsistent shooters and tend to overpenetrate. Great defense made up for a lot of their offensive issues.

Also, I really like Dieng, he's got a lot of basketball ahead of him, not going to be a star but he's getting better and better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake