2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is talking about CJ McCollum. I just watched his Draft Express breakdown and he's as talented as any player in the draft. I'd swap Marshall for him in a heartbeat.

I'd swap half our team for him. Prior to his injury he was starting to draw attention as a top pick. My two favorite things about him are his birthday (same as mine, give or take several decades) and the way he tore up Duke last year in the tourney.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He would be o.k. as the last pick of first round but he is already Beasley's age. Like Wesley Johnson, 23 is an old rookie. Not saying he can't improve..

Gobert is 20 and from France... I am thinking that you mean Gorgiu Deng

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Smart is staying for his sophomore year. Bad idea IMO. He is a top 5 pick. He can only drop, especially with Wiggins and Parker next year.

I guess we'll find out later today but so far all I've seen on Smart's decision comes from unnamed sources. Anything is possible but I'd be surprised if the rumors are true, but only because it seems like the wrong move.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Of course this year he is a top 7 pick next year there is a real chance he won't be a lottery pick maybe not even top 20 pick.

OSU must give them poor advice, LeBryan Nash made probably a bad decision last year already he could have been a late first or early second despite his flaws but he decided to stay another year and his flaws have been exposed more and he might not be drafted at all now I guess.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is looking at overwhelming odds of going top 4 right now with a shot at #1 depending on who got the pick. He would need to dramatically improve to even have a remote chance of that kind of draft slot next summer. Unless he is planning on staying the full four years then his choice to return is really dumb.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I could never really convince myself that Smart was all that anyway. I think Trey Burke is a better player.
Smart somehow reminded me of Marcus Banks or best case a poor mans shorter version of Tyreke Evans.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
NBADraft has us drafting Alex Len (C) at #4 and Draft Express has him slotted at #11 (last updated 4/10). What is the scoop on Len?

I am asking about all these centers because I would be completely amenable to trading Gortat and Dudley to somehow get a starting 2 (I haven't looked at who we could target).

So, on to Len. Anyone have any insight? His write-ups at both sites sound very intriguing.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would think it would be a hard sell to this fan base that our top pick is a project center unless it was some athletic on the court charismatic freak like a healthy Noel. Especially considering the gaping hole that is our shooting guard position.
And at the same time Gortat is a servicable starting center.

If we had another pick for a center project yeah I could see that. Or if we traded Gortat to pick up Len. Otherwise I'd be pissed if we didn't draft McLemore or traded up to draft McLemore even.

I can only speak for myself but I would probably turn in a lot of games to see McLemore playing a good amount of minutes at SG for us , possibly starting right away.

On the other hand I couldn't care less just like this season to see Len play garbage time behind Gortat.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would puke if we drafted Len with a top 5 pick. Big men who struggle to make a consistent impact in college, and with a lack of raw athletic talent like Len... gross.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I only asked because I don't know anything about college sports in general. Just looking for some information, not advocating his selection.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I only asked because I don't know anything about college sports in general. Just looking for some information, not advocating his selection.

It's hard to figure out Centers as they take a while to develop. Len is definitely not a stiff, and I don't see any obvious issues with his game. He is a legitimate Center (7'1, 250 LB or so, nice wingspan, good footwork, decent athleticism.)
He'll still needs to put on another 20-30lb, and get more consistent on both sides of the floor.

Pick is too risky for my taste, but I can definitely see why someone would take a good look at him at #4 or 5.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I heard a pretty funny argument today that actually does make sense.

If you look at the human population what is the average height? 5'9?

The simple thought is that there are many many more humans at 6'-6'6 than 6'10-7'2. Just on odds alone it is much much more likely to find a supremely talented 6'5 player then finding a likewise talented 7' player.

Since the Suns need talent more than anything right now... why take a risk to pick someone whose value is largely based on height instead of raw talent.

Not saying we should pick a 5'9 PF now.. Most of the super busts in the history of the NBA lottery have been centers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry, didnt mean for it to come off so harsh. I just dont see what some of the scouts apparently do in Len. IMO, he is Timofey Mozgov part 2. A big guy who you look at and think he has lots of tools to work with, should be able to make an impact... only there is nothing he actually does well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'd swap half our team for him. Prior to his injury he was starting to draw attention as a top pick. My two favorite things about him are his birthday (same as mine, give or take several decades) and the way he tore up Duke last year in the tourney.

Steve

If somehow the Lakers miss the playoffs we might be able to take him around 14.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve
I also would love to see McCollum in a Suns jersey but question is, can him and Dragic share a backcourt? If so, who guards the opposing team's SG who is likely to be bigger than both Dragic and McCollum?

I wish we didn't have Goran so we can draft McCollum to be our PG. He's going to be the next Damian Lillard.

The fact that we drafted a PG last year also works against us in this scenario unless we plan to pair McCollum with Dragic.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Time to look at #30 prospects

Dennis Schroeder, 19, 6'2 PG from Germany
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dennis-Schroeder-7105/

Some other potential names that could be available at #30

Archie Goodwin 6'5 SG
Tony Mitchell 6'8 PF
Giannis Adetokunbo 6'9 SF
Jamaal Franklin 6'5 SG
Allen Crabbe 6'6 SG
Ketavious Caldwell-Pope 6'6 SG
Jeff Whitey 6'11 C
Giorgiu Deng 6'11 C
Steven Adams 7' C
Isiah Austin 7' C
Dario Saric 6'10 SF

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to look at #30 prospects

Dennis Schroeder, 19, 6'2 PG from Germany
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dennis-Schroeder-7105/

Some other potential names that could be available at #30

Archie Goodwin 6'5 SG
Tony Mitchell 6'8 PF
Giannis Adetokunbo 6'9 SF
Jamaal Franklin 6'5 SG
Allen Crabbe 6'6 SG
Ketavious Caldwell-Pope 6'6 SG
Jeff Whitey 6'11 C
Giorgiu Deng 6'11 C
Steven Adams 7' C
Isiah Austin 7' C
Dario Saric 6'10 SF

Jeff Whitey? Can he jump?

I'd be thrilled with Austin, Goodwin, Crabbe or even Dieng at the bottom of the first round. I doubt that any of those four will be there at 30 but I really doubt that Kentavious, Dario or Giannis make it out of the teens. If they're all available by some weird circumstance, I'd gamble on Adetokunbo. From what I've heard of him and the scouting videos and highlights on YouTube, he has an incredible ceiling. I might even consider taking him with our lottery pick. Bust or boom player but that's ideal for us given that there are no sure things in the lottery this season.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
nbadraft.net has Goodwin at #37 right now, Austin at #35, Crabbe at #31, Deng at #24, Whitey at #27.
DX has Caldwell-Pope at #26, Adetokunbo at #24, Crabbe at #28

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nbadraft.net has Goodwin at #37 right now, Austin at #35, Crabbe at #31, Deng at #24, Whitey at #27.
DX has Caldwell-Pope at #26, Adetokunbo at #24, Crabbe at #28

I don't follow draft sites at all but in response to your post, I decided to google a few of them. A casual review of these experts shows Adetokunbo at #6, Austin #11, Pope #16, Dieng #17, Saric #14, Goodwin #15, Withey #19, Crabbe #23. The only one on your list that appears to be frequently regarded in the 30 range is Crabbe.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No idea what you consider expert draft sites but DX and .net are usually the most respected.

Of the mentioned Chad Ford only has Gorgui Dieng at #17, Saric at #19 and Franklin at #20 in his top 20 the rest is espn insider material.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad the Suns coughed up pick #34 in the second round in the Marcus Morris trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No idea what you consider expert draft sites but DX and .net are usually the most respected.

Maybe, but I put DX far above .net. .net shuffles things around every so often with no apparent rationale other than to generate more page hits. It's not at all uncommon to see a player in the top ten on .net move several slots for no reason. DX is at least somewhat consistent in how they slot players and how they assess their skills.