2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes I agree DX is clearly a few levels above .net.

But the closer the draft gets .net's history of prediciting the draft is on par with them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Adams the Kiwi but I think he might not go in the first round. Great rebounder but raw on offense and I think he's closer to 6'10" than 7 foot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what you consider expert draft sites but DX and .net are usually the most respected.

Of the mentioned Chad Ford only has Gorgui Dieng at #17, Saric at #19 and Franklin at #20 in his top 20 the rest is espn insider material.

I really don't know anything about the various draft sites, that's why I said I googled for them. I made my initial comments about those guys based on what I've seen from college games and highlight clips on YouTube. I guess we'll see come draft day if all those guys are really in our drafting range. Color me surprised if more than one or two of those guys are still there come 30.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But the closer the draft gets .net's history of prediciting the draft is on par with them.

That's just because the draft is a crapshoot and no one knows how it's going to go. I'd bet any half-serious fan board does just as well as DX or .net over the long term.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's just because the draft is a crapshoot and no one knows how it's going to go. I'd bet any half-serious fan board does just as well as DX or .net over the long term.

Especially at THIS stage. You just don't know much until teams start working people out individually.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use both Draft Net and Draft Express to get a feeling of where players are slated to go in the draft. One has to start somewhere. Like I said, I use both, but I find Net gives me a better snapshot of the draft. Just like the format better. I fill in the gaps at Express and watching videos.

In regard to who might be available for the Suns with their first pick, Trey Burke is a very nice player and the best I have seen play live. I do worry about his height although I would draft him over a questionable candidate. Len does not seem to be a fan favorite but I like his physique and tools to play center.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With draft picks being settled and PHX most likely picking in the Top 5 and #30 and 1 second rounder giving them a total of 3. I figure PHX will probably wind up at #4 and guys like McLemore & Noel will be off the board. So having 3 needs in SG, SF & C, I hope they end up with:

#4 - SF Otto Porter - Will be best available at #4. Solid all around game.

#30 - F/C Isaiah Austin - Skilled big man who will definitely need to bulk up. Better player than both Morris brothers right now.

2nd rounder - SG Tim Hardaway Jr. - Nice size and mid range game that can extend out beyond the 3pt line.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Adams the Kiwi but I think he might not go in the first round. Great rebounder but raw on offense and I think he's closer to 6'10" than 7 foot.

I disagree.

He is indeed very raw in offense, but quite athletic, seems to a true 7-footer to me, good rebounder/defender/hustle player while being just a freshman. I think that a contender will take him at the end of the 1st round, at very least.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some other potential names that could be available at #30

Archie Goodwin 6'5 SG
Tony Mitchell 6'8 PF
Giannis Adetokunbo 6'9 SF
Jamaal Franklin 6'5 SG
Allen Crabbe 6'6 SG
Ketavious Caldwell-Pope 6'6 SG
Jeff Whitey 6'11 C
Giorgiu Deng 6'11 C
Steven Adams 7' C
Isiah Austin 7' C
Dario Saric 6'10 SF

I highly doubt that Goodwin will be available at 30. He is definitely a lottery talent who played usually out of position for a very young and quite disfunctional team.

I think that Adams, Dieng and Withey (in this order) all will be gone at 30.

Tony Mitchell had a very disappointing season and he would be just another undersized PF.

Austin has talent but is very skinny, but he probably has the most potential among the names listed above.

Crabbe seems a solid complementary player ala Richard Hamilton, KCP is also not bad.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

He is indeed very raw in offense, but quite athletic, seems to a true 7-footer to me, good rebounder/defender/hustle player while being just a freshman. I think that a contender will take him at the end of the 1st round, at very least.

Not sure. I saw him play in HS against Kaleb Tarczewski(UA now) and Kaleb was clearly taller, maybe 2 inches taller. He's listed at 7'.

Then I saw Adams in college several times and he just never looked 7 foot. I guess we'll see when he gets measured.

I love the kid he's very athletic and plays hard. Issues this year with foul trouble and the speed of the game on offense. And quite frankly Dixon didn't seem to know how to use him, when I watched Pitt they didn't get him the ball, if he wanted the ball he had go get an offensive rebound to get it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I just pray we don't end up drafting Oladipo in the top 5.

I just can't get why people think he should be a high pick, he has all the qualities of typical late first / second round picks. Undersized athletic junior shooting guard that works hard on defense but has been a complimentary player a college, doesn't create plays, doesn't handle the ball well, doesn't passt well.. His offense seems to be open set shots or running the floor.

That's usually not the description of a shooting guard prospect for the lottery.

If those are the qualities that might translate very well for a big guy like Farried but I'd have to think that shooting guard is a much much more offensive skill position.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing you've not seen too many Big XII games, huh?

No, but sure did catch enough of the NIT games to know that he played really well to close out the season. I am talking about taking him at #30 not Top 5, and yes he is far more skilled than the Morris brothers right now and his length will cause some problems for other teams. If he were 250 instead of 220 he would be in the lottery. His lack of strength is his biggest weakness but get him a professional strength and conditioning coach and keep him in the weight room for 3 - 4 hours a day.

Would be a steal @ #30.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but sure did catch enough of the NIT games to know that he played really well to close out the season. I am talking about taking him at #30 not Top 5, and yes he is far more skilled than the Morris brothers right now and his length will cause some problems for other teams. If he were 250 instead of 220 he would be in the lottery. His lack of strength is his biggest weakness but get him a professional strength and conditioning coach and keep him in the weight room for 3 - 4 hours a day.

Would be a steal @ #30.

He stepped up big late but he didn't play like that all season long, he disappeared frequently. I think he'd be a steal at 30 too but he's far less complete of a player than the Morris twins were when they left school. His up-side makes him a great risk but talent-wise he belongs in the top player argument and here we are talking about him for the last pick in the first round. That doesn't happen without reasons.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
His numbers are solid for the whole year though.. 13+ppg 8+rpg 1+apg 1.7bpg in 30mpg from a freshman center is pretty good plus being 7' without shoes does not hurt.

His shooting percentages look questionable at 46% until you realize that he was shooting more 3pter than Victor Oladipo.

That being said DX has him rated #14 right now which is probably more realistic than .net having him at #35.

Still

Noel
Len
Zeller
Olynyk
Austin
Plumlee
Adams
Gobert
Jaiteh
Dieng
Whitey
Nogueira

I have a hard time believing that 12 center prospects will be gone before #30. Someone has to drop.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw on Saturday is the Nike's Hoop Summit World Team vs US Team.

Features the top prospects for 2014 Andrew Wiggins and Dante Exum on the World team and Parker, Randle and others on the US Team.

More interesting however on the World Team are potential 2013 draft picks 6'2 PG Dennis Schroeder from Germany, Mouhammadou Jaiteh 6'11 C from France and Sergey Karasev 6'7 SF from Russia.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He stepped up big late but he didn't play like that all season long, he disappeared frequently. I think he'd be a steal at 30 too but he's far less complete of a player than the Morris twins were when they left school. His up-side makes him a great risk but talent-wise he belongs in the top player argument and here we are talking about him for the last pick in the first round. That doesn't happen without reasons.

Steve

You have to remember Baylor had a lot of good players on their team, Pierre Jackson was the focal point of their offense. So to average 13 PPG and 8 RPG on the year as a FR is a pretty good year. I am hoping Austin makes it to #30 but most likely he will not. If PHX got #14 from LA I would consider Austin there. As for Morris vs. Austin, neither Morris seems like they will be more than role players / fringe starters. If Austin could get up to 240 lbs by the start of next season I would rather see him starting than Markieff Morris at PF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to remember Baylor had a lot of good players on their team, Pierre Jackson was the focal point of their offense. So to average 13 PPG and 8 RPG on the year as a FR is a pretty good year. I am hoping Austin makes it to #30 but most likely he will not. If PHX got #14 from LA I would consider Austin there. As for Morris vs. Austin, neither Morris seems like they will be more than role players / fringe starters. If Austin could get up to 240 lbs by the start of next season I would rather see him starting than Markieff Morris at PF.

Oh, there's no doubt he has a much higher ceiling than the Morris twins but just watching the games this season, he's not yet the player either of them were when they left college.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just pray we don't end up drafting Oladipo in the top 5.

I just can't get why people think he should be a high pick, he has all the qualities of typical late first / second round picks. Undersized athletic junior shooting guard that works hard on defense but has been a complimentary player a college, doesn't create plays, doesn't handle the ball well, doesn't passt well.. His offense seems to be open set shots or running the floor.

That's usually not the description of a shooting guard prospect for the lottery.

If those are the qualities that might translate very well for a big guy like Farried but I'd have to think that shooting guard is a much much more offensive skill position.
Since when is 6'4-6'5 considered undersized for a SG?

And he may not be a guy that can create off dribble but you are not giving him enough credit for being a great slasher.

Oladipo is basically the SG version of Shawn Marion except Oladipo is a much better 3pt shooter.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he is not 6'4-6'5. I'll be shocked if he measures taller than 6'4 in shoes.
6'4 still isn't undersized. 6'4 and higher are all adequate height levels for SGs in the NBA. Two of the NBA's top SGs (Wade & Ellis) are even shorter than Oladipo.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ellis is not a top SG and btw is 6'3.

Wade is 6'5 in shoes and has incredible long arms.

Who cares i could overlook that Oladipo is smaller than the prototype. What I can't overlook is that SG is an offensive skill position and that is where Oladipo is lacking a lot.

Tony Allen is probably the best defender at the position but he would never be mentioned along the top shooting guards and his paycheck proves it. As a top 5 pick you would almost pay Oladipo what NBA veterans with his skillset make.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dennis Schroeder declared today for this years draft. Measured 6'2 in shoes, 19 year old German PG. He is the youngest allstar in the German top division ever.

Very quick, fast, good defender.

For obvious reasons I wouldn't mind using our #30 pick on him.