2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just pray we don't end up drafting Oladipo in the top 5.

I just can't get why people think he should be a high pick, he has all the qualities of typical late first / second round picks. Undersized athletic junior shooting guard that works hard on defense but has been a complimentary player a college, doesn't create plays, doesn't handle the ball well, doesn't passt well.. His offense seems to be open set shots or running the floor.

That's usually not the description of a shooting guard prospect for the lottery.

If those are the qualities that might translate very well for a big guy like Farried but I'd have to think that shooting guard is a much much more offensive skill position.

I would love to have him. Top notch defender that never loses focus. Will be able to defend 3 positions most of the time in the NBA. Incredible athlete with long arms. Has turned into an excellent shooter who scores with great efficiency. Not a volume shooter (like Shannon Brown, and Michael Beasley). Very intelligent (graduating this year) and a student of the game. Self-deprecating in the locker room for the purpose of encouraging his teammates. Only 20. Same as Shabazz, McLemore, Bennett, Zeller. Younger than Carter-Williams, Olynyk, Plumlee, etc.

Young players who need lots of shots to be effective are a formula for failure. A young player who can score efficiently with few shots is likely to be much more effective with more touches.

I guess, Slin, I just disagree with you big time.

I see him as a Joe Dumars type to 2-guard.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. If Mclemore is out... And Noel too... I think Suns need to focus on a corner stone instead of a franchise player...

Oladipo is not a 20ppg All-star level offensive player he ain't no Kobe, Harden..

What he CAN be is a starting caliber SG who will play 36 minutes a game because he can spot up, receive passes as he slashes to the rim, lead a transition break and finish above the rim... Whilst playing elite level defense all game.
15ppg 5rpg 2spg defensive menace... An explosive Tony Allen / Raja Bell type.
Or smaller Deng/Marion.

If suns do get Oladipo...
Suns need to "continue" rebuild into 2013-2014 and aim for another top 4 pick.
Get a chance to draft Parker, Wiggins, Vonleh, Randle etc

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. If Mclemore is out... And Noel too... I think Suns need to focus on a corner stone instead of a franchise player...

Oladipo is not a 20ppg All-star level offensive player he ain't no Kobe, Harden..

What he CAN be is a starting caliber SG who will play 36 minutes a game because he can spot up, receive passes as he slashes to the rim, lead a transition break and finish above the rim... Whilst playing elite level defense all game.
15ppg 5rpg 2spg defensive menace... An explosive Tony Allen / Raja Bell type.
Or smaller Deng/Marion.

If suns do get Oladipo...
Suns need to "continue" rebuild into 2013-2014 and aim for another top 4 pick.
Get a chance to draft Parker, Wiggins, Vonleh, Randle etc
Who is? There isn't going to be a James Harden/Kobe type coming out in at least the next 5 years draft.

Actually, I don't think there will ever be a Kobe type player in the NBA again. Impossible to find another player that can chuck, not pass, but be clutch as hell. Nobody in sports comes close to him as competitor either.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dennis Schroeder declared today for this years draft. Measured 6'2 in shoes, 19 year old German PG. He is the youngest allstar in the German top division ever.

Very quick, fast, good defender.

For obvious reasons I wouldn't mind using our #30 pick on him.

Team World beat the US team.

A couple world prospect should have secured at least a late first / eary second draft status.

Livio Jean-Charles 27 points 13 rebounds in 27 minutes
Dennis Schroer 18 points 6 assists and fouled out the entire US backcourt

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lots of international prospects will be in the running for our #30 pick, in brackets their draftexpress projection right now.

name , height, wingspan, age , weight, position
Livio Gean-Chearles, 6'9, 7'2 1/2, 217lbs, 19, PF (DX#35)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Livio-Jean-Charles-6125/

Mouhammadou Jaiteh, 6'11, 7'4, 249lbs, 18, C (DX#32)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mouhammadou-Jaiteh-6366/

Lucas Nogueira, 7', 7'5 1/2, 220lbs, 20, C (DX#29)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lucas-Nogueira-5957/

Dario Saric, 6'10, 6'10, 223lbs, 19, SF (DX#24)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dario-Saric-5706/

Giannis Adetokunbo, 6'9, 7'3, 200lbs, 18, SF (DX#25)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Giannis-Adetokunbo-7223/

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anthony Bennett out 4 months so will be injured during draft. No indication if that might affect his draft position, but even if he only slides a few spots down that could affect who the Suns end up with.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Anthony Bennett out 4 months so will be injured during draft. No indication if that might affect his draft position, but even if he only slides a few spots down that could affect who the Suns end up with.

Bennett is an injury waiting to happen. I hope the Suns stay away from him.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bennett is an injury waiting to happen. I hope the Suns stay away from him.
They may very well not target him, but right now he is projected to go top 4. If the Suns draft 5th and the injury causes teams ahead of Phoenix to pass on him, then someone the Suns might be targeting may be taken off the board too early.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll trust McDonough to make the right call. He actually seems like he knows what he's doing unlike Blanks.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I am glad I am not the one who has to make the pick. I feel much better about McDonough making the call than I was about Blanks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not the 1-5th pick that we will have where this new GM will make his mark. I want to see what he does with the 30th pick. I am not expecting miracles, I am just interested.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Shoot, we need that 15th pick... the guys I was hoping might fall to us at 30 - Gofort and Dieng - have moved way up the mocks.

JCS,
Its not the 1-5th pick that we will have where this new GM will make his mark. I want to see what he does with the 30th pick. I am not expecting miracles, I am just interested.

In this draft, virtually everyone has some serious flaws so I think what McD does with our first pick with be extremely interesting. One thing we can be sure of, regardless of who he picks it will raise howls of protest on here.

It appears from his history he gives serious consideration to players defensive abilities so I'm very hopeful it will be someone I'm not thoroughly unhappy about. If he doesn't make some headway with getting Gortat to resign I wouldn't surprised to see him 'reach' for a big with out first pick. With no clear idea of who the BPA is, why not draft for your biggest need?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Hearing rumblings that if Orlando or New Orleans lands the #1, they will be open to trading, especially if Nerlens Noel is the consensus #1. Might not mean much to us, but interesting nonetheless, since the #1 isn't traded too often in the NBA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
For the record, I want the Suns to get Michael Snaer. They'll probably need to buy an early second rounder, but I think that kid will surprise a lot of people.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hearing rumblings that if Orlando or New Orleans lands the #1, they will be open to trading, especially if Nerlens Noel is the consensus #1. Might not mean much to us, but interesting nonetheless, since the #1 isn't traded too often in the NBA.

It might be that they don't want to pay the freight for a #1 pick since there isn't anyone available that is actually worth the money... thats probably true up through the first half dozen slots but what can you do.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw Victor Oladipo shot only 35% from the college 3 over the last 15 games to put his 44% overall percentage in context.
Given that he shoots only 1.9 3pters per game and only 75% from the line I'd be scared to think that his hotstreak in the first half of the season when shot like 50% over the first games was just a fluke.

All his shooting percentages are massively infalted by indiana's system and the luxury he had of taking very selective shots as he was not needed to score. Very often he had 6 or less field goal attempts in the entire game.

I just don't see any way to justify taking oladipo over McLemore. In today's game the best teams are those that can make 3s at a high volume. That is McLemore's absolute strength taking almost 5 per game at a 42% clip as a freshman.

And while McLemore is only a year younger than Oladipo, he has 2 years less of competitive basketball experience so that alone should give him more room to grow.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Btw Victor Oladipo shot only 35% from the college 3 over the last 15 games to put his 44% overall percentage in context.
Given that he shoots only 1.9 3pters per game and only 75% from the line I'd be scared to think that his hotstreak in the first half of the season when shot like 50% over the first games was just a fluke.

All his shooting percentages are massively infalted by indiana's system and the luxury he had of taking very selective shots as he was not needed to score. Very often he had 6 or less field goal attempts in the entire game.

I just don't see any way to justify taking oladipo over McLemore. In today's game the best teams are those that can make 3s at a high volume. That is McLemore's absolute strength taking almost 5 per game at a 42% clip as a freshman.

And while McLemore is only a year younger than Oladipo, he has 2 years less of competitive basketball experience so that alone should give him more room to grow.

Has anyone actually suggested taking Oladipo over McLemore? I am pretty sure Oladipo is everyone's backup plan if McLemore is not available.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Has anyone actually suggested taking Oladipo over McLemore? I am pretty sure Oladipo is everyone's backup plan if McLemore is not available.

If you go to brightsideofthesuns you will find many Suns fans seriously suggesting that Oladipo should be #1 on the Suns list over Noel and McLemore.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/5/10/4315506/phoenix-suns-2013-nba-draft-preview-the-wings

They compared Oladipo to the young Jordan..... jesus and McLemore to Wesley Johnson..

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
If you go to brightsideofthesuns you will find many Suns fans seriously suggesting that Oladipo should be #1 on the Suns list over Noel and McLemore.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/5/10/4315506/phoenix-suns-2013-nba-draft-preview-the-wings

They compared Oladipo to the young Jordan..... jesus and McLemore to Wesley Johnson..

Yeah, that's crazy, but crazier things have been said over there. I think that might have been a fan article because it wasn't written by any of the normal guys that post (Kris, Jim, Seth or Dave.) Also, a lot of the people in comments are laughing about it so take that for what it's worth...

My wing list in order: 1) McLemore 2) Shabazz 3) McCollum 4) Oladipo I feel confident that we'll get one of those guys and a decent player with our pick.

If you listen to McDonough on 620 or listen to him on Cowherd yesterday you can tell that he greatly values 3-point shooting as much as defense. Make of that what you will.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I guess I don't read that regularly, probably for this very reason- that's crazy. McLemore is an easy pick over Oladipo. Noel is a different story- I would not touch him with a ten-foot pole. He is a walking injury just waiting to happen.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I guess I don't read that regularly, probably for this very reason- that's crazy. McLemore is an easy pick over Oladipo. Noel is a different story- I would not touch him with a ten-foot pole. He is a walking injury just waiting to happen.
Not completely sure where you are getting that idea of Noel. He suffered one freak knee injury that came from running into the padding of the goal. Otherwise there is nothing to suggest he will have any consistent problems with injuries.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Not completely sure where you are getting that idea of Noel. He suffered one freak knee injury that came from running into the padding of the goal. Otherwise there is nothing to suggest he will have any consistent problems with injuries.

He had a bad knee injury in High School as well. He has no skill, just crazy athleticism. Players who only have athleticism, and have a history of injuries are very risky. Even if there were no injuries to worry about, Noel is not going to make a difference for at least 4-5 years anyway.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I truly believe Porter would be the safest pick for PHX if McLemore is off the board. At #30, I hope PHX lands a project big man who could develop in time to replace Gortat when he leaves after next year. Guys I hope actually make it to #30 and PHX considers are Jeff Withey whom I think is the next Anderson Varajeo or Isaiah Austin who I think will end up being one of the best players to come out of this draft as he has some nice tools for kid his size. I like the idea of PHX nabbing a SG in Round 2 and there should be some good ones. Michael Snaer, Tim Hardaway Jr & CJ Wilcox are intriguing players who could turn out to be steals.

One player who I know most will agree made a mistake coming out but if PHX wants a project big man in Round 2 a guy to consider would be Grant Jerrett. A lot of critic are saying he is bound for UDFA or D-League but if he has the skills to be a player down the road. I figure late 2nd round why not take a chance on a guy with his size and skill set, I mean who else will be available at that point that would be a better option.

To come out with a combo of Porter/Austin/Snaer or Porter/Bullock/Jerrett I would be more than happy with PHX's draft considering this is considered to one of the worst drafts in a decade.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Otto Porter is starting to grow on me. I think he would be a great fit for this team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake