2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So in other words, they'd like to convert their pick into a higher pick and a center. You know who has both of those? Phoenix! It's a perfect match!

Portland gets
2013 PHO pick (approx. #4)
Marcin Gortat ($7.7 million, expires 2014)

Phoenix gets
2013 POR pick (approx. #10)
cap relief
handful of magic beans

Come on, the Suns' front office should be all over this. Who's with me?

Don't even joke about that, Eric. :mulli:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought he could become a very good player if he could add 30lb or so without losing mobility. I haven't seen him since he was in Dallas, so I am not sure if he's improved, but he had some glaring weaknesses in his game:
1. He was just too skinny. I know he was listed at 220+, but he looked like a 200-pounder to me. He was young, and big men take a while to fill out their bodies, so if he is 250lb now, I'd give him a chance.
2. He was a walking foul just looking for a referee to blow the whistle. Again, not unusual for a young, skinny 7-footer.
3. No offensive game. I remember him making a couple of really nice hook shots, so if he's worked on those in the last couple of years, and that's falling consistently, it might be enough to make him somewhat useful on offense.

Again, I haven't seen him in over two years, so I have no idea how much has changed.

As far as Portland goes, I don't know what to think. I am not sure what their plan is. Trading their lottery pick for someone like Gortat makes no sense, as Gortat is not going to make them a contender. Oladipo would make a lot of sense for them, but trading from 10 to 3, 4, or 5 is not easy.
I'd give them Gortat and #30 for #10, and their 2nd round picks (their own, and Wolves' pick), but I doubt they'd go for it.

I'm not saying you're wrong but if that is all Gortat is worth, I'd keep him and give him a chance to redeem his value. An above average starting center would be a huge find at the 10th pick in this draft and Gortat should be at least an above average center. Notice I said "should be". Maybe we can have him put in some offseason work with one of the bruisers and get him out of this finesse kick so he can play up to his ability.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Portland has some capspace but I am not sure.

I'd still target Charlotte for a Gortat trade.

1. they are rumored to trade their pick
2. they have some bad contracts that they could ditch for Gortat
3. they need a center badly

Gortat for the awful contract of Tyrus Thomas and their pick and then tweak it a little.

Not sure which is the closest, I mean a lot will depend on where Charlotte actually drafts #1-5.

Gorat+Dudley for Thomas and #2
Gortat for Thomas and #2
Gortat and Tucker for Thomas and #2
Gortat and Marshall for Thomas and #2
Gortat, Marshall and #30 for Thomas and #2
Gortat, Tucker and #30 for Thomas and #2
Gortat, Tucker, Marshall for Thomas and #2
Gortat, Morris, Morris for Thomas and #2

I mean there are lots of possibilities, all of them work under the cap. Charlotte could draft between #1-5. It's about time the lottery takes place so we know who drafts where.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gortat for the awful contract of Tyrus Thomas and their pick and then tweak it a little.

Not sure which is the closest, I mean a lot will depend on where Charlotte actually drafts #1-5.

Gortat for Thomas and #2

I mean there are lots of possibilities, all of them work under the cap.

there may be lots of "possibilities", but there are ZERO probabilities in the above. No collection of our mediocre, middle aged crap is going to pry away the #2 pick in a two player draft.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong but if that is all Gortat is worth, I'd keep him and give him a chance to redeem his value. An above average starting center would be a huge find at the 10th pick in this draft and Gortat should be at least an above average center. Notice I said "should be". Maybe we can have him put in some offseason work with one of the bruisers and get him out of this finesse kick so he can play up to his ability.

Steve

Oh you are definitely right that Gortat SHOULD be worth more than moving from #30 to #10, but the risk is that we wait too long for the right deal and lose him for nothing.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure Tyrus Thomas is owed over 20M$ still and well the #2 pick might actually turn into #5 on Tuesday. We will see, I think Charlotte could be viable landing spot for Gortat if rumors are true that they want to trade their pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure Tyrus Thomas is owed over 20M$ still and well the #2 pick might actually turn into #5 on Tuesday. We will see, I think Charlotte could be viable landing spot for Gortat if rumors are true that they want to trade their pick.

I hope you are right, but if I have a top 3 pick, I am not trading it for Gortat.
I MIGHT swap the two picks (my #2 pick for your #4) as long as I get Gortat and dump a bad contract, but without receiving a pick in return, there is no deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right, but if I have a top 3 pick, I am not trading it for Gortat.
I MIGHT swap the two picks (my #2 pick for your #4) as long as I get Gortat and dump a bad contract, but without receiving a pick in return, there is no deal.

agreed. especially for a team like Charlotte who's awful. Why would they value an okay Center who's already in whatever "prime" he's going to be in when they're completely rebuilding and looking for young talent?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have no idea on this one. Centers are in demand right now and Gortat is more highly regarded than many Suns fans think.

Still, its the #2 pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Come on gang, when in the history of the league has a top-3 pick been traded for player of Gortat's caliber?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on gang, when in the history of the league has a top-3 pick been traded for player of Gortat's caliber?

Not that I think Gortat is worth a top 3 pick, but Randy Foye and Mike Miller did get a top 5 pick in a stronger draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not that I think Gortat is worth a top 3 pick, but Randy Foye and Mike Miller did get a top 5 pick in a stronger draft.

I had forgotten about that, and it's a pretty good example. It's hard to guess what the Wizards were thinking there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Top 5 picks just aren't traded that often. I would think in a draft like this one, some teams might prefer a proven player rather than gamble on a rookie.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Gortat for Thomas and #2

I mean there are lots of possibilities, all of them work under the cap. Charlotte could draft between #1-5. It's about time the lottery takes place so we know who drafts where.

When the Suns will struggle with using their own high lottery pick since there are not really legit top5 picks in this draft (except Burke, IMO), why add another?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I had forgotten about that, and it's a pretty good example. It's hard to guess what the Wizards were thinking there.

To add to Foye and Miller..

Shane Battier got traded for a #6 or #7 pick in a strong draft, Andre Iguodala #7 got traded for a future pick and Antawn Jamison as a 6th man bench player from Dallas got traded for Devin Harris #4-5 also.

I am sure there are more cases of top 5 picks being traded. Charlotte might be unlikely to trade that pick if they pick in the top 3 but if they fall to #4 or #5 I think it is realistic since their best players are probably Kemba Walker and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and at either 4 or 5 it is not unlikely that they sould have to chose between Porter/Muhammad and Burke.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN Draft simulator now has us preferring Oladipo over McLemore. Hmmmm.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
#30 pick should be interesting, lots of options..

I like taking a flyer on Archie Goodwin, youngest player in the draft, good size, good talent just raw.

Errntknght

Reaction score
A few teams are apparently interested in trading out of the first round. I'd be tickled if we snagged a pick around #10 and took Dieng. In fact, if Oladipo, Porter and McLemore are gone at #5 I'd seriously consider reaching for him there. No Bad Defenders should be our watchword...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few teams are apparently interested in trading out of the first round. I'd be tickled if we snagged a pick around #10 and took Dieng. In fact, if Oladipo, Porter and McLemore are gone at #5 I'd seriously consider reaching for him there. No Bad Defenders should be our watchword...

DAL is rumored to be shopping #13, to free up $$$ to go after Howard and other big ticket FA's.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

we are on the same page. Really good defender, extremely long, and he has a solid midrange shot. Like Eric, I also like Goodwin, but I can't imagine him falling to #30. I think the guys we should be targeting at #30 are those that were really good, productive college players. A handful of those guys always drop just because and then end up having really nice NBA careers.

Joe

Errntknght

Reaction score
Dieng won't fall to 30, either I'm afraid. In fact I could see OKC taking him at #12 to back up Perkins and then to push him out the door.