2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would be somewhat exciting to come out of this draft with McLemore with the first pick, acquiring another for Shabazz and a role player type at #30.

That would be phenomenal. And also, entirely fantasy. Suns aren't getting another pick in this draft. They may trade down, but they're not getting another pick in this draft.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns get another lotto or late teens- early 20s pick in the draft, I hope they use it on Steven Adams, not Shabazz.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I wanna move Gortat for a player that has proved he can play in the league, that is talented and just waiting to break out, rather than a mid 1st round pick in (another) weak draft. Now that's not saying it's probable, especially with the way the FO has been on the short end of all sticks the last couple of years.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I wanna move Gortat for a player that has proved he can play in the league, that is talented and just waiting to break out, rather than a mid 1st round pick in (another) weak draft. Now that's not saying it's probable, especially with the way the FO has been on the short end of all sticks the last couple of years.

Well, sure. I'd like to crap gold, but that's not going to happen. Players who have proven they can play don't get traded for someone like Gortat.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? So they aren't even considering moving Gortat for a pick?

All a team is getting is Gortat on a decent deal for a year. I wouldn't trade alot of promise for that unless I could get Gortat to agree to a reasonable extension. There are decent rookie bigs that will be around for a while on a good rookie contract.

I am afraid that Gortat does not have much value, not so much because of his play, but because of his contract situation. Now if a team is targeting 2014 free agency, he might be a good choice.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are in love with McLemore, and I think they like what they know about Muhammad. YMMV, but this was from today.

The Suns can't realistically think that McLemore will be available at #5. Do you think they are trying to move up to get him/ Muhammad is really starting to grow on me. We could really use his scoring and he has star potential. I'm not sure the same could be said for Oladipo. There seems to be a lot of concerns about Muhammad, but they aren't unlike concerns that many had about Rondo and Stoudemire. Having a guy like Dudley around to mentor him could be a huge benefit.

nbadraft.net has Muhammad falling to Cleveland at #19. That is just silly.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Muhammad is going through the same bs right now that Drummond did last year.

And why shouldn't the suns realistically think McLemore could be there at #5? Chad Ford has him falling to #5 right now.

It looks like 50/50 between McLemore or Oladipo who could be there as it looks likely that Porter and Bennett or Len go #3 and #4.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns can't realistically think that McLemore will be available at #5. Do you think they are trying to move up to get him/ Muhammad is really starting to grow on me. We could really use his scoring and he has star potential. I'm not sure the same could be said for Oladipo. There seems to be a lot of concerns about Muhammad, but they aren't unlike concerns that many had about Rondo and Stoudemire. Having a guy like Dudley around to mentor him could be a huge benefit.

nbadraft.net has Muhammad falling to Cleveland at #19. That is just silly.

It's beginning to look like Oladipo will go ahead of Mclemore esp among those that depend on advanced stats. So, yes he could fall. Worst case scenario imo would be for Noel, mcL, Dipo, and Porter to go in the first 4. Then we really have to look at Zeller or Shabazz.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It seems like every year there's a big white stiff whom everyone predicts to go in the top 6-8, but he falls because no one actually wants him. It looks like Zeller will play that role this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No to Zeller. I have seen his brother play. :)

I also think he will fall in the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he will be a great value in the mid to late lottery.

No doubt but his body build worries me. I question whether he can bang inside in the NBA. There are big men that interest me more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he will be a great value in the mid to late lottery.

I agree. Comparing him to his brother is like comparing Blake Griffin to the Griffin we drafted. He's far superior to the other Zellers and will have a decent NBA career. I don't think he's destined for stardom but injuries notwithstanding, he's not headed for bust territory either.

Steve

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No doubt but his body build worries me. I question whether he can bang inside in the NBA. There are big men that interest me more.

At 7'0 240, with his offensive skill set I think he would be a great pick for PHX at #5. I just hope they don't go for Burke when they have Dragic & Marshall at the PG position. Alex Len would be good at #5 as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At 7'0 240, with his offensive skill set I think he would be a great pick for PHX at #5. I just hope they don't go for Burke when they have Dragic & Marshall at the PG position. Alex Len would be good at #5 as well.

Yes. Drafting another pg seems a waste. CJMac would be better just because I believe he could team with Dragic fairly effectively. My problem with Zeller is the same with Burke. How many pf's should one team have? I know they are all mediocre talent, but Zeller, while a good value, is not that much above what we have.

I am not worried about Zeller's body, good grief, he's a tree compared to Noel. I am worried about his defensive presence. If he is going to play center, he has to defend the rim.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't like Zeller at the #5 pick. His physique is one of my major sticking points. He appears to have the same thin frame as his brother Luke and likely will be pushed around. Some describe him as a gazelle. The Suns do not need a gazelle. If I wanted to draft a big man I would look at frame and upside. I want a player than compete inside, rebound and block some shots.

If the Suns were drafting later, he might be a value pick, but not at #5.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Drafting another pg seems a waste. CJMac would be better just because I believe he could team with Dragic fairly effectively. My problem with Zeller is the same with Burke. How many pf's should one team have? I know they are all mediocre talent, but Zeller, while a good value, is not that much above what we have.

I am not worried about Zeller's body, good grief, he's a tree compared to Noel. I am worried about his defensive presence. If he is going to play center, he has to defend the rim.

So if you had Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd on your roster, you would not draft Steve Nash?

The best player the Suns may have available at #5 may be a PG... maybe not. However, you do not draft for need. That's the surest way to have a bad draft.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So if you had Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd on your roster, you would not draft Steve Nash?

The best player the Suns may have available at #5 may be a PG... maybe not. However, you do not draft for need. That's the surest way to have a bad draft.

Or more famously, pass on Jordan because you have Clyde Drexler?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't like Zeller at the #5 pick. His physique is one of my major sticking points. He appears to have the same thin frame as his brother Luke and likely will be pushed around. Some describe him as a gazelle. The Suns do not need a gazelle. If I wanted to draft a big man I would look at frame and upside. I want a player than compete inside, rebound and block some shots.

If the Suns were drafting later, he might be a value pick, but not at #5.

Nerlens Noel is much thinner than Zeller and he is in the running for the #1 pick, he certainly won't be over powering NBA C & PF's. I like the fact that Zeller has some range on his jump shot and has a nice back to the basket game along with his ability to run the floor which is much more than you can say for a lot of the post players in this draft.

No one expected Nash to become a MVP, just like no one knew Kobe would be the next MJ. He didn't exactly light the world on fire and he was dealt 2 years later. If PHX plans on dealing either Goran or Marshall then sure draft Burke, but you don't select a guy at #5 to him come off the bench. This is why I think Noel might slip. Will CLE or CHA be willing to wait until December for Noel to be cleared then have to get him in game shape?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The more tape and reports I have read on Len, I'm coming away very impressed. Guy has star potential. He's a bit of a project though and will take time but thats alright because we have time. Plus he's only 19 years old making him one of the youngest in this draft. Would be a great pick at #5 IMO.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will CLE or CHA be willing to wait until December for Noel to be cleared then have to get him in game shape?

Phoenix sure would. That'd be a great situation for us. Get a very good player while sucking again for a high lottery pick in the next top heavy draft.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Phoenix sure would. That'd be a great situation for us. Get a very good player while sucking again for a high lottery pick in the next top heavy draft.

I agree that the situation would be ideal for PHX because it gives them time to find out what they want to do with Gortat or if they want to make room for Noel by dealing a Morris. PHX isn't going to be a playoff team next year so they might as well look to land a Top 3 pick in next years draft. But if Noel isn't there, I feel a big man (either Zeller or Len) should be the guy if Oladipo or Porter is gone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nerlens Noel is much thinner than Zeller and he is in the running for the #1 pick, he certainly won't be over powering NBA C & PF's. I like the fact that Zeller has some range on his jump shot and has a nice back to the basket game along with his ability to run the floor which is much more than you can say for a lot of the post players in this draft.

It sounds like you are equating Noel to Zeller. I don't think so although it would not surprise me to see Noel slide as well. Zeller did not help his stock this past season by breaking out. I'll maintain Burke may be the best player in the draft but I don't think any team will draft him #1. IMO, this is a mostly level draft with no clear star which I hope helps the Suns.

No one expected Nash to become a MVP, just like no one knew Kobe would be the next MJ. He didn't exactly light the world on fire and he was dealt 2 years later. If PHX plans on dealing either Goran or Marshall then sure draft Burke, but you don't select a guy at #5 to him come off the bench. This is why I think Noel might slip. Will CLE or CHA be willing to wait until December for Noel to be cleared then have to get him in game shape?

The Suns drafted BPA with Nash. They thought he was the safest pick at #15. They were certainly right. The Suns were very high on Kobe and would have liked to draft him remembering the talk at the time.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake