2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dieng has no business being a top 10 pick, let alone option at #5.

I like him but he is a mid-first round pick ( 12-20 )

He is already 23, he is a less athletic poor mans Ibaka.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Paul Coro, the Suns are planning their first pre-draft workout on Monday (6-3-13). I will be interested in the players they work out for the draft as it nears. Also the Suns are in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas playing games 7/12 through 7/16/13. He says there will be a tourney with a 7/22 title game. You can read Paul Coro on twitter:

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

Additionally Suns assistant coach Igor Kokoskov has joined the Cavaliers as an assistant coach under Mike Brown.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulcoro/2013/05/29/kokoskov-leaves-suns-to-join-cavaliers-bench/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counting only the better players the Suns have drafted (or had drafted for them, e,g., Dragic) and kept, their record is nothing short of horrible since the year 2000.

The better players was Amare in 2002 and Lopez and Dragic in 2008. I'm being generous with Lopez. That's about it IMO. Some may consider the verdict out on some of the more newly drafted players but I'm not overly optimistic.

I admit, looking over the Suns draft history since inception there were more first round busts than I expected. The Suns were on a roll from 1994/95/96. One of the Suns best overall drafts was in 1988 with the selections of Tim Perry, Dan Majerle, Andrew Lang and Steve Kerr.

http://www.nba.com/suns/history/draft_history.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope PHX can acquire #13 from DAL and give them options. As of right now it looks like Anthony Bennett will be the BPA but he is an undersized tweener with injury issues. I figure CJ McCollum would be a better pick but with Dragic and Marshall at PG, he would be a small SG. Cody Zeller may be a weak but he does have some skills and would be good value at #5.

My draft would be:
#5 - F/C Cody Zeller
#13 - C Steven Adams
#30 - SG Archie Goodwin
2nd Founder - G/F Reggie Bullock

That is assuming the first 4 picks end up being McLemore, Noel, Porter, Oladipo.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Suns drafted rondo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Suns drafted Rondo and Gortat plus several others but those picks were decided by the teams that had purchased or traded for the pick. Suns get no credit for them, nor any blame.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another hit for Shabazz although probably won't impact his draft status. his dad has been indicted in Las Vegas for mortgage fraud, 2nd time in his life, he was indicted in LA in 99 for the same thing.

Sheesh, now even I'm really starting to feel sorry for Bazz my guess is much of his NCAA problem with them not believing the family had the income to support the lifestyle was based on his dad's mortgage fraud activities and having to hide that money from authorities which meant it also wasn't obvious to the NCAA.

Bazz is working out in California now trying to improve his athleticism, but I've seen reports he could fall as low as somewhere between 10 and 15 in the draft.

Just doesn't have a position and as scouts are saying all he does is score, he doesn't do enough other things.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns drafted Rondo and Gortat plus several others but those picks were decided by the teams that had purchased or traded for the pick. Suns get no credit for them, nor any blame.

Oh, I give the Suns a lot of blame. :)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McLemore, Oladipo and Adams are really the only prospects that excite me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good article in regards to a possibility at #5

http://arizonasports.com/41/1636324/Small-school-star-make-sense-for-Suns

I agree that at #5 McCollum will be the best player on the board, but he is considered more of a scoring G (undersized SG to be more exact) and unless PHX is looking to deal or move Dragic to SG (doubt it), McCollum isn't playing PG. Also, McCollum's A/T ratio was very, very bad (1:1) I believe.

I think PHX needs to be focused on either Len or Zeller at #5 unless one of the following drops: Porter, McLemore or Oladipo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McLemore, Oladipo and Adams are really the only prospects that excite me.

I didn't even have Steven Adams on the radar. He seems to have bounced from nowhere onto the draft boards or I was not paying attention. He reminds me of Byron Mullens as Draftnet suggests. Actually I was hoping the Suns would draft Mullens. This is where the Suns GM can prove his worth through his countless hours of studying prospects.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The article touting CJ doesn't mention his defense, which appears to be very poor on ball so I'm not interested in him.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't even have Steven Adams on the radar. He seems to have bounced from nowhere onto the draft boards or I was not paying attention. He reminds me of Byron Mullens as Draftnet suggests. Actually I was hoping the Suns would draft Mullens. This is where the Suns GM can prove his worth through his countless hours of studying prospects.

I don't see that comparison(and it appears they wrote that in 2011). I think he's a bigger more athletic Kanter, but can also see the Asik comparison made in the article below(though I think he has a much higher offensive ceiling). I understand the apprehension about him because he's so raw but I feel he has a solid fundamental base to grow on. He boxes out more consistently than any big the Suns have had since KT and is a beast on the offensive glass.

I really think he'll continue to climb draft boards as we get closer to the draft and he works out for more teams.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/05/steven_adams_could_be_a_big_help

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see that comparison(and it appears they wrote that in 2011). I think he's a bigger more athletic Kanter, but can also see the Asik comparison made in the article below(though I think he has a much higher offensive ceiling). I understand the apprehension about him because he's so raw but I feel he has a solid fundamental base to grow on. He boxes out more consistently than any big the Suns have had since KT and is a beast on the offensive glass.

I really think he'll continue to climb draft boards as we get closer to the draft and he works out for more teams.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/05/steven_adams_could_be_a_big_help

Adams physique is similar to Mullens and I spent considerable time just watching Mullens dunk the ball in his pre-draft video highlights. I see much the same with Adams. :)

Maybe Kendall Marshall can teach him his shooting stroke. ;)

Seriously, I understand he is young, mobile and appears to have a durable physique. However, he is a project player with a huge upside but it is unknown if he will ever get there.

If there are no potential stars available to the Suns in this draft, I always like to go with big mobile players so you don't have to lure me much. I just do not want the Suns to draft another brother like Cody Zeller.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns worked out 6 players on Monday including former Wisconsin's SF Ryan Williams and Marquette's Guard Vander Blue. There is a video clip for Williams and Blue being interviewed plus one of Ryan McDonough talking about his thoughts at the Suns Official site. See link below.

http://www.nba.com/suns/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great to see the Suns are open to what players they are working out. In an article by Paul Coro dated 6-3-13 at azcentral he describes how the Suns plan to workout players in the future including players for the #5 and #30 picks. He as well talked about today's workout. Nice to see how serious the Suns are taking the draft. See link below.

All that, except the excitement, began Monday with the Suns’ first draft workout at US Airways Center. The new regime stuck its toes into workout waters with a group of candidates for their No. 57 pick at best. They will regroup today and then have at least six consecutive workout days for visiting draft prospects that will include prospects for their No. 5 and No. 30 picks.

“You get to see how their games have held up since the college season has ended and what they’ve been working on,” Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said. “You get to see what they’ve been adding to their game. You also get to push them a little bit and test some of their weaknesses to see how they respond.”

McDonough is clearly well-versed in his knowledge of college personnel, even pointing out that he seldom is surprised by players’ in-person workouts because he has watched prospects extensively on tape. Director of player personnel John Treloar, who will remain abaord after being brought in by Blanks, set up a competitive workout with three-on-three play.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulcoro/2013/06/03/suns-begin-draft-workouts-coolly/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From Hornaceks comments, he wants hustlers. He hates players who dog it. Goodbye Beasely. Hello Oladipo (hopefully).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Current rumor is the Wolves want to trade the #9 and Derrick Williams to move up for McLemore, Porter or Oladipo. Would we do it and take Alex Len (who we have interest in apparently)? DWill is a big man though and unless Burke or McCollum are there at #9, would we deal? Word is that Charlotte may be the team they are targeting to trade with.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No trading down. Derrick Williams has been bad except when Minnesota's season fell apart he put up some empty stats. He is Michael Beasley with less natural talent but a better head on his shoulders.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are in love with McLemore, and I think they like what they know about Muhammad. YMMV, but this was from today.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
would be somewhat exciting to come out of this draft with McLemore with the first pick, acquiring another for Shabazz and a role player type at #30.

The Suns listed Shabazz as SF so that's what they are looking at. He got decent enough size at 6'6 and 6'11 wingspan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake