2012 Draft prospects

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I can see that, or some other "nba ready" low ceiling player. If the Suns end up with a pick other than #1 I'm sure I'll disagree with whoever they select and see it coming a month in advance.

Hey hey don't forget the Suns mathematical statistical analysis brought them Markieff Morris who is doing a solid job right now.

Unfortunately if the Suns really rely on that they will end up with a lot of "nba ready low ceiling players" because the metric does not account for potential.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey hey don't forget the Suns mathematical statistical analysis brought them Markieff Morris who is doing a solid job right now.

Unfortunately if the Suns really rely on that they will end up with a lot of "nba ready low ceiling players" because the metric does not account for potential.

Sometimes the NBA ready players also have a high ceiling. Steve Nash and Kevin Love come to mind.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This worthless playoff run has put us out of reach of drafting Beal or Lamb, not to mention eliminated any realistic chance of moving into the top 3.

We will now be lucky if Rivers or Jones III fall far enough for us.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Love was not NBA ready and neither was Nash.

The point is true, though. Nash was considered 'NBA ready' by draftniks, but his ceiling was not anywhere close to where it ended up. I doubt we really know what he was actually like as a rookie because he never played, but KJ was smitten with him. Said Nash dominated in practice.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This worthless playoff run has put us out of reach of drafting Beal or Lamb, not to mention eliminated any realistic chance of moving into the top 3.

We will now be lucky if Rivers or Jones III fall far enough for us.

We would be just fine with Rivers, however, I do think that he will be a top-10 pick. I do not want PJIII at all.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kind of like Jones III at where the Suns are likely to pick.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kind of like Jones III at where the Suns are likely to pick.

The knock on Jones III is his motor. He just doesn't seem to have the drive. How many of those guys actually work out? I'll take a less gifted player with a high motor over a more gifted player that lacks drive. Earl Clark vs. Markieff Morris is a great example.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The knock on Jones III is his motor. He just doesn't seem to have the drive. How many of those guys actually work out? I'll take a less gifted player with a high motor over a more gifted player that lacks drive. Earl Clark vs. Markieff Morris is a great example.

I'd draft him in a heartbeat. He's a risk, no doubt, but he's such a high ceiling guy that you pretty much have to take that risk if he falls to our spot. Unlike Clark, I like the makeup of this guy. It will probably be another 2 or 3 years before he matures enough physically to play the way he needs to play every night but I think he's got a decent shot at getting there.

At no time did I ever think Earl Clark would blossom. I know you weren't necessarily comparing Clark to Jones but Earl just didn't have it upstairs and it was clear even in college that he would never "get" it. Read the backstory on Percy and you'll see a lot of things to like and respect about him. I doubt he makes it out of the top 10 but I'd love to see it happen.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Perry Jones III dropped to us we should take him in a heartbeat. The kid has top 3 talent and legit size.

Unlike Earl Clark, PJ3 does not seem to be an idiot. The question to me also is not his motor. The question is if he can develop an attitude to be a star. He is too unselfish. Whenever you hear him speak he always puts the team first but he has the talent to be the leader. It's the Boris Diaw syndrom.

He seems to have worked on his body since his freshman season, looks much stronger.

If you could get that type of talent at #13-14 take the chance.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Perry Jones reminds me of Derrick Favors. High ceiling and under the right coaching, kid can be a stud.

Favors after two years is now showing great things.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would consider Harrison Barnes at #13-14 but reality is he is only the 4th best player on his team, maybe even 5th best behind Marshall, Zeller and Henson and based on talent McAdoo

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I posted a mock draft on bsots
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2012/3/31/2915877/early-bird-mock-draft-1-0

What would you think of a trade between Phoenix and Washington.

Marcin Gortat for Andray Blatche and #3 Bradley Beal? Could Nene and Gortat co-exist for Washington?
Or either Frye or Dudley and #12 for Blatche and #3.

Tony Wroten and Bradley Beal would make a really nice backcourt going forward, not to mention these guys will turn 20 after their rookie season.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Marcin Gortat for Andray Blatche and #3 Bradley Beal? Could Nene and Gortat co-exist for Washington?

Tony Wroten and Bradley Beal would make a really nice backcourt going forward, not to mention these guys will turn 20 after their rookie season.

LOL! Slin, the Suns are NOT trading Gortat. :)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Anyway at this point I expect Andre Drummond to go back to school, if he does not he will fall out of the top 5 and get drafted between #10-20.

Same thing will happen to Perry Jones but he could fall further than that even.

Plus Royce White is someone I have to somehow work into the first round maybe now that he signed with an agent. Talent wise the kid is compared to Charles Barkley. 6'8 PF triple double threat and averages 13+ 9+ 5+ 1spg 1bpg leads Iowa State in 5 stats, a few triple doubles and had great games against the top talents like Kentucky. Legal trouble and anxiety disorder, afraid of flying are the red flags but likely not enough to push him out of the first round.
Absolute wild card, could go anywhere between #5 and #35.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway at this point I expect Andre Drummond to go back to school, if he does not he will fall out of the top 5 and get drafted between #10-20.

Same thing will happen to Perry Jones but he could fall further than that even.

Plus Royce White is someone I have to somehow work into the first round maybe now that he signed with an agent. Talent wise the kid is compared to Charles Barkley. 6'8 PF triple double threat and averages 13+ 9+ 5+ 1spg 1bpg leads Iowa State in 5 stats, a few triple doubles and had great games against the top talents like Kentucky. Legal trouble and anxiety disorder, afraid of flying are the red flags but likely not enough to push him out of the first round.
Absolute wild card, could go anywhere between #5 and #35.

Royce White is really intriguing. How debilitating is the anxiety disorder?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yea Suns are not taking on Blatche even if Washington offered to give Wall.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Royce White but his anxiety disorder is so bad that he drove from Ames to Louisville for Iowa State's NCAA tournament sub-regional.

Kid is very smart and has a high basketball IQ but I don't see how he can survive in the NBA where teams fly on places from city to city for each game.

I would still take a chance on him if we can acquire a late 1st.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Royce White but his anxiety disorder is so bad that he drove from Ames to Louisville for Iowa State's NCAA tournament sub-regional.

Kid is very smart and has a high basketball IQ but I don't see how he can survive in the NBA where teams fly on places from city to city for each game.

I would still take a chance on him if we can acquire a late 1st.

You can't play in the NBA if you won't fly. Simple as that.

I assume this is something can be overcome. Has he ever flown? Or does he just drive when he has that choice?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Kendall Marshall to Toronto at #5? Way too high IMO. He may not even be the 1st PG selected in the draft simply cause of his lack of scoring ability that scouts keep talking about.

I don't see the Blazers selecting a SG when they Matthews, they need to go PG cause they desperately need improvement there.

And you honestly think Cody Zeller will be as good as Pau Gasol?

And then Tyler Zeller's comparison to Kaman seems more reasonable but still off IMO.

But I would LOVE it if your mock came true. I would be so happy if we got Drummond, you have no idea! Him or Perry Jones would make my day on draft night.

BTW I don't see Jones dropping that far down to Denver either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I assume this is something can be overcome. Has he ever flown? Or does he just drive when he has that choice?

I agree with you as far as this kid goes but I don't think I'd agree to the blanket statement. I'd put up with a young Wilt Chamberlain even if he could only play home games and the handful of road games he'd have time to drive to. I'm not sure there's a young Wilt out there suffering from pteromerhanophobia but if one shows up on the Suns doorstep, I'm all for signing him.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree with you as far as this kid goes but I don't think I'd agree to the blanket statement. I'd put up with a young Wilt Chamberlain even if he could only play home games and the handful of road games he'd have time to drive to. I'm not sure there's a young Wilt out there suffering from pteromerhanophobia but if one shows up on the Suns doorstep, I'm all for signing him.
Certainly in the NBA, either the team or the player could afford multiple sessions of hypnotherapy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

From what I've heard and read, his situation isn't as bad as it was in high school. During his AAU season he would often have panic attacks before boarding the plane.

But in college it hasn't been that bad and I think he just drives when the game isn't too far away just so he doesn't take the risk.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I've heard and read, his situation isn't as bad as it was in high school. During his AAU season he would often have panic attacks before boarding the plane.

But in college it hasn't been that bad and I think he just drives when the game isn't too far away just so he doesn't take the risk.

I had a hunch this was the case. This a workable situation then. It sure would be nice to have another mid-first. I would be interested in PJonesIII, Kendall Marshall and Royce White.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Lot of future NBA stars in tonights game between Kentucky and Kansas

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson
Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Tyshawn Taylor
Jeff Withey
Darius Miller