2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's video of the Warriors/Wolves scuffle.

Absolutely no excuse for Draymond's antics. If he doesn't see a suspension then Silver becomes an even bigger joke as a commissioner. Maybe this happening during his stupid tournament will cause him to come down reasonably, which I'd say is about 10 games. That's the minimum he should get, IMO.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The thing is, it's THREE games in a row. He got kicked out of the Cavs game for the 2 T's, next game he got a T against Minnesota and you could hear him on the court mic challenging AE to a fight as he was getting ready to shoot FT's. So there's no way in hell he can argue heat of the moment, he's been looking to get someone for 3 straight games.

I don't know what sort of precedent there is for somethign like this he's had 2 ejections and 4 T's in 3 games.

Gotta be suspended for a bit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely no excuse for Draymond's antics. If he doesn't see a suspension then Silver becomes an even bigger joke as a commissioner. Maybe this happening during his stupid tournament will cause him to come down reasonably, which I'd say is about 10 games. That's the minimum he should get, IMO.

The 2nd voice on that commentary is Jim Peterson the ex player. Before the game started he said the Wolves had to "don't take the bait" because he thought the Warriors would try and start something. He was more talking about the cheapshot by CP3 in the previous game but he said without Steph they're going to be very physical tonight and try and start something to get a Wolves player to fall for it.

After the whole thing Klay was yelling at the refs with a torn jersey "what did I do" over and over and he said after the game that McDaniels had been trying to start something with him from the opening tip and when he ran downcourt he grabbed him by the jersey right up high by the neck and I just reacted and grabbed him back.

Podziemski had a great game, they nearly won but he ran out of gas at the end missed a couple of open 3's he'd made earlier in the game. I wanted Jaquez and always will but I do really like BP, he does the little things, tough defense(2 charges) and he rebounds. He also showed last night he can play PG so that was nice.

4 losses in a row and probably going to be playing the next few games without Steph or Draymond. Wiggins again 4-15, one of those 4 was a stupid goaltend by KAT or he'd have been 3-15.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely, no room in the NBA for this. Choke holds can be lethal.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Suspend him for half of the season. This clown doesn’t get it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After the whole thing Klay was yelling at the refs with a torn jersey "what did I do" over and over and he said after the game that McDaniels had been trying to start something with him from the opening tip and when he ran downcourt he grabbed him by the jersey right up high by the neck and I just reacted and grabbed him back

Klay has a history. It's tough to tell what happens and who starts what in that video. I'm not saying he's to blame but he's 30+ years old and has been in the league over a decade while having a history of talking lots of trash. All that eliminates any sort of benefit of doubt that I might usually grant. Plus it was so early in the game, it's obvious it was residual tension from their last game. If he gets a game or two, he deserves it and needs to accept it without causing a stink, IMO. Same goes for McDaniels, who will lose a lot more as far as he's a young player who hasn't made $200+ million prior to this ordeal and a 2 game checks mean more when you're on a rookie deal vs making $35+ million a year. Sure, the price is higher for Klay but he can afford it.

Draymond is just a buffoon. He needs no less than 10 games and then probably placed in some counseling that he must maintain throughout the duration of the year if he wants to keep playing. I'm sure the players association wouldn't like it but I can't imagine Draymond has many supporters there. The guy is a literal time bomb. He punches his teammates and he low blows opponents during the Finals knowing full well it will result in a suspension. Like I said before, I'm surprised the Warriors kept him and didn't give themselves some sort of out on his contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half a season?

Yeah that seems a bit excessive. Feels like a 2-5 game suspension to me.
For me it would depend on whether he was just wrapping him up around the neck or actually applying a choke hold. If it's a choke hold, I'd bounce him for at least the season and not reinstate him unless/until he meets a few requirements regarding his mental health. If he was just restraining Gobert (without actually choking him), than something like a 3 game suspension that gets upgraded to 10 games because of past history seems fair to me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half a season?

For someone with Green's past? Nope.

SHould have had half-season suspensions before.

Really need to add Kerr to the suspension list as well.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Half a season?

Draymond is a repeat offender who always seems to find himself on the wrong end of aggressive interactions and never has any remorse for his behavior. If Grayson Allen engaged in more shenanigans given his history, then yes, drop the hammer.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is that what you think it should be, or what you believe the NBA will come down on?
Both actually.

Yeah Green was over aggressive for the situation, but he didn't really hurt the guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klay has a history. It's tough to tell what happens and who starts what in that video. I'm not saying he's to blame but he's 30+ years old and has been in the league over a decade while having a history of talking lots of trash. All that eliminates any sort of benefit of doubt that I might usually grant. Plus it was so early in the game, it's obvious it was residual tension from their last game. If he gets a game or two, he deserves it and needs to accept it without causing a stink, IMO. Same goes for McDaniels, who will lose a lot more as far as he's a young player who hasn't made $200+ million prior to this ordeal and a 2 game checks mean more when you're on a rookie deal vs making $35+ million a year. Sure, the price is higher for Klay but he can afford it.

Draymond is just a buffoon. He needs no less than 10 games and then probably placed in some counseling that he must maintain throughout the duration of the year if he wants to keep playing. I'm sure the players association wouldn't like it but I can't imagine Draymond has many supporters there. The guy is a literal time bomb. He punches his teammates and he low blows opponents during the Finals knowing full well it will result in a suspension. Like I said before, I'm surprised the Warriors kept him and didn't give themselves some sort of out on his contract.

McDaniels said he didn't know what started it said I was just trying to run downcourt and he grabbed me. Klay said he was trying to go for a potential long rebound, McDaniels grabbed him, I grabbed him back etc. Said he was talking from the opening tip I don't really know why. McDaniels said there was some talking he didn't think it was a big deal but "clearly he took it more seriously than I did." SO I don't have a clue. Both teams defended their guy but Kerr is stupid he defended Draymond, he was just standing up for his teammate. No he wasn't, he was going after Gobert.

At a certain point even the coach has to stop defending him.

I would add this, Klay talks yes but he doesn't actually have much history of dirty play or fighting. McDaniels hasn't been around that long but has a pretty well documented history of issues controlling himself. In college he was a technical waiting to happen, in HS he got suspended repeatedly, UCLA and a bunch of other schools stopped recruiting him because of his behavior. So while I'm clearly a Warrior fan I'd say history suggests McDaniels probably wasn't the innocent bystander he's saying he was.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's incredible. If they win another title this year, I think he will have the case as, along with O'Neal and Jordan, one of the most singularly dominate players in modern history. He's not only a terrifying and physical scorer from any range but he's so good at passing and movement that he makes everyone around him better too. He's like... Shaq and Nash had a baby.

Equally wild, I really don't think he cares that much about basketball. This is his job... and he is amazing at it... and he's really competitive, so he is a monster. He's only 28... if I had to bet, I think he retires by 33, maybe earlier if the Nuggets win another title or 2.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pathetic suspension

Agreed. 5 games was my guess, not what I thought was deserved. When he tried to cave in Sabonis' rib cage in the playoffs, I thought he deserved at minimum, the rest of the series (potentially 5 games), he got 1.

There is an equation for NBA suspensions. You take the violent act, multiply it by the player's history as a violent offender, and divide that by the player's level of stardom.