2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still some good free agents available.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never gotten much of a discount. But with its move to YouTube tv I don’t even know if those cancellation games are even available to the consumer anymore.
I never paid more than the new sign up customer rate EVER just by playing the cancellation game.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Even if Jones did make such a statement, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like Booker was an obvious can't miss pick
Saying that in the present moment seeing how Booker turns out and how productive he was on his early years... was like huh...so you just don't believe in using rookies and you want vets you don't have to "coach up" or wait for. Ok!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 is the reason Haliburton or any rookie guard wasn't chosen. That's the terms he set with Jones to commit.

Now a GM with experience should have known this part was coming

No one knew Haliburton would develop this quickly. Drafting a PGOTF would have been the smart move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killian Hayes agrees to a deal with the Nets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No one knew Haliburton would develop this quickly. Drafting a PGOTF would have been the smart move.
True, but everyone forgets how fans and experts were saying the Suns needed a PF. Plus we had CP3. Also, all the rumors about Haliburton only willing to play for the few teams his agent supplied with medical info. I would have liked Halliburton, but I see why the Suns passed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but everyone forgets how fans and experts were saying the Suns needed a PF. Plus we had CP3. Also, all the rumors about Haliburton only willing to play for the few teams his agent supplied with medical info. I would have liked Halliburton, but I see why the Suns passed.

It wasn't even close. When the BPA falls in your lap, you draft him. Haliburton was that guy. The Suns would have been set for the future if they had made that pick.

No sure fire power forwards were on the table. Even James Jones didn't have confidence in the pick, as he didn't pick up Smith's option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 is the reason Haliburton or any rookie guard wasn't chosen. That's the terms he set with Jones to commit.

Now a GM with experience should have known this part was coming

Source? That's quite the claim. CP3 was viewed as a negative of sorts when we acquired him. He had a year left on his deal and no leverage to force his way anywhere. He just came from an OKC team with a bunch of young guards he mentored. So this theory doesn't hold up well.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
It wasn't even close. When the BPA falls in your lap, you draft him. Haliburton was that guy. The Suns would have been set for the future if they had made that pick.

No sure fire power forwards were on the table. Even James Jones didn't have confidence in the pick, as he didn't pick up Smith's option.

An action which isn't even the norm. The norm is you trade the asset you no longer see value in when you get calls for him starting draft night. For 2 years Jones ignored trade inquiries, so that says he had planned on keeping the pick until boss man said I'm going make you two look incompetent.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Source? That's quite the claim. CP3 was viewed as a negative of sorts when we acquired him. He had a year left on his deal and no leverage to force his way anywhere. He just came from an OKC team with a bunch of young guards he mentored. So this theory doesn't hold up well.
The source is CP3 was on the team and none of the draft picks while he was there were guards.

And even now James Jones with no CP3 or Hali like in sight Jones still don't want a ponit guard disturbing the all stars he brought in.

Like CP3, to get them they told Jones they running the show. So the past is a good indicator of how the present will be. Haliburton dodge a deferred development bullet. Stix still trying to recover from that defferment. And Jones needs to and has stayed clear of young players.

"Who is available given the way we're built? Whose game seamlessly fits with this group? When you put that player on the floor and you take the ball out of someone's hands, whose hands are you taking it out of and who are you putting in that position? James Jones on PG need #Suns

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds horrible. The "most important moments" are always dragged down by endless timeouts and replay reviews. A stream dedicated to those is going to be 1% action and 99% filler.
To each their own. I can't wait to watch the NBA's Best of Replay Reviews and Timeouts special.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Almost everyone on this board wanted Haliburton desperately but did not think he would be available when we picked. I have no idea whether CP3 had some sort of understanding with Jones about picking pgs. But Hali was the obvious choice but Jones had already fixated on Stix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone on this board wanted Haliburton desperately but did not think he would be available when we picked. I have no idea whether CP3 had some sort of understanding with Jones about picking pgs. But Hali was the obvious choice but Jones had already fixated on Stix.

Personally, I think James Jones was locked onto drafting a large forward because of need and not the philosophy of BPA.

This is almost always the wrong strategy, especially early in the draft.

There were rumors the Suns wanted Deni Avdija and when he went #9, I believe Jones switched players and drafted Jalen Smith. He might have been right behind him on the Suns draft board.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles Barkley has been so on target lately when he talks about media rights.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What channel/service are the Disney games on?

ETA: Ah, that's the ESPN networks

Last edited:

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Peacock? Will we need a subscription? Or are they all on NBC?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TNT will reportedly file a lawsuit against the NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The source is CP3 was on the team and none of the draft picks while he was there were guards.

And even now James Jones with no CP3 or Hali like in sight Jones still don't want a ponit guard disturbing the all stars he brought in.

Like CP3, to get them they told Jones they running the show. So the past is a good indicator of how the present will be. Haliburton dodge a deferred development bullet. Stix still trying to recover from that defferment. And Jones needs to and has stayed clear of young players.

"Who is available given the way we're built? Whose game seamlessly fits with this group? When you put that player on the floor and you take the ball out of someone's hands, whose hands are you taking it out of and who are you putting in that position? James Jones on PG need #Suns

So you don't have a source that CP3 nixed Haliburton being drafted and seemingly shift the blame back to James Jones. Jones is a poor GM who regularly contradicts himself. He wants a roster 3 deep at all 5 positions but doesn't want to bring in anyone who might take the ball from someone's hands. Doesn't really add up. That doesn't point blame at Paul though, like you initially claimed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russell Westbrook will sign a 2-year, $6.8 million contract with the Denver Nuggets with the 2nd year a player option.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Personally, I think James Jones was locked onto drafting a large forward because of need and not the philosophy of BPA.

This is almost always the wrong strategy, especially early in the draft.

There were rumors the Suns wanted Deni Avdija and when he went #9, I believe Jones switched players and drafted Jalen Smith. He might have been right behind him on the Suns draft board.

Funny thing is that pick shifted the draft boards.

WIZARDS was deciding between Stix whom they watched closely at Maryland and Deni...now Deni gone.

The pick for the Suns was Kira Lewis before the switch. At no time was Hali on the draft board.

So Fans wanted who they wanted but the Suns came to Maryland to work out and see Stix who had worked out and interviewed for mainly top 10 teams. The trajectory of the team changed when CP3 cane on board and when Crowder was picked up.

Now Stix is at Chicago a team the Suns ignored.

Hindsight is one thing but there's still time for teams to trade for what they want and if Hali is what the Suns wanted then why didn't they trade for him when Sacramento was given an ultimatum by Fox making Hali available? The stars said no.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

WIZARDS was deciding between Stix whom they watched closely at Maryland and Deni...now Deni gone.

The pick for the Suns was Kira Lewis before the switch. At no time was Hali on the draft board.

So Fans wanted who they wanted but the Suns came to Maryland to work out and see Stix who had worked out and interviewed for mainly top 10 teams. The trajectory of the team changed when CP3 cane on board and when Crowder was picked up.

Hindsight is one thing but there's still time for teams to trade for what they want and if Hali is what the Suns wanted then why didn't they trade for him when Sacramento was given an ultimatum by Fox making Hali available? The stars said no.

Got a source on that? Never heard that rumor. Sounds like you're creating a history to absolve the Suns of any Wrong doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Pacers traded Sabonis for Haliburton. The Suns didn't have anything to compete with that trade offer not that James Jones would try after passing on him.

Kira Lewis was a reach in the 2020 draft.

Last edited: