Alex Len

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely not correct. See the super secret draft board post above where No GM gave him a 10. None. In the whole league.

We were clearly one of the 9s.

He pretty much came out of nowhere after the season was completely over. During the season I honestly don't remember anyone projecting him even in the low lottery. He was always considered an incomplete player with a lot of work to do, the kind of guy you grab near the end of the draft and hope he pans out in a few years. It would be one thing if he was a fast riser because of his play on the court but that just isn't the case. Someone, somewhere, fell in love with him and started building him up and the next thing you know all the TV and internet experts were talking about his incredible potential. Potential he rarely showed in actual games. Maybe they're right, I sure hope they are.

Steve

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd say it's no better than 50-50 that Len turns out to be a better pro than Lopez. The near-unanimous rejection of Lopez on this board is bizarre to me. He started all 82 games for the Hornets last season and averaged better than 11 points on 53% shooting, along with 1.6 blocks. True, he's a poor rebounder, but Len's rebounding numbers are substandard also. If Len is still with the Suns in his fifth season and putting up Lopez numbers, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Len was a much better rebounder than Lopez in college. I'm not understanding why people are knocking his rebounding. Look at the stats. Seems pretty solid.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, Alex Len wasn't named one of the 15 best players in the ACC by the Coaches.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know...I don't know what does.

Shhh...quit talking facts. We are trying to fool ourselves here.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len was a much better rebounder than Lopez in college. I'm not understanding why people are knocking his rebounding. Look at the stats. Seems pretty solid.

Agreed his rebounding is solid.

My thoughts is that his ceiling is Andris Beidrins, which is why I am disappointed with the pick.

We were placed with the following choices (in what I consider reasonable comparisons)

Caron Butler
Marcus Camby
Beidrins

And we went Beidrins

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agreed his rebounding is solid.

My thoughts is that his ceiling is Andris Beidrins, which is why I am disappointed with the pick.

We were placed with the following choices (in what I consider reasonable comparisons)

Caron Butler
Marcus Camby
Beidrins

And we went Beidrins

I seriously doubt Marcus Camby is a good comparison for Noel, especially since the medical staff said his knees are a problem.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Noel was the perfect pick. High Ceiling, Dominant defensively and wouldnt have played till 2014 literally ensuring we get #1 next year.

I liked McLemore too, although no where near as much as others.

And they go Len. I readily admit I believe McDonough is a lot smarter on these topics then me but this was disconcerting pick to say the least and such basic thinking (hey hes big and can move!) that it scares the hell out of me.

Actually what really worries me is that this was a Bob Sarver special.

Sarver: "Hey Ryan before you pick we are trading Gortat before Game 1 and need his replacement."

Ryan: "Ummmm....Sure boss lets go Len."

And Gambo was spot on from the get go and even 5 mins before the pick on Twitter which lends credence to the above.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
At 7-1 255, with good mobility, good timing, good hands. I cannot see how Len isn't the one with the most upside.

Draftexpress consistenly had Len rated as THE top prospect on their 100 top prospect board. When you get the player who is considered by many as the top prospect with the most upside in the draft AND he is 7-1, AND you get him at the fifth pick, its hard to find fault.

Givony is a little bit biased towards Euros. I've never really trusted his analysis too much.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Noel was the perfect pick. High Ceiling, Dominant defensively and wouldnt have played till 2014 literally ensuring we get #1 next year.

And they go Len. I readily admit I believe McDonough is a lot smarter on these topics then me but this was disconcerting pick to say the least and such basic thinking (hey hes big and can move!) that it scares the hell out of me.

Sarver: "Hey Ryan before you pick we are trading Gortat before Game 1 and need his replacement."

And Gambo was spot on from the get go and even 5 mins before the pick on Twitter which lends credence to the above.

Umm. How many times does it have to be stated that the best medical/training team in the league (ours) red flagged Noel.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm. How many times does it have to be stated that the best medical/training team in the league (ours) red flagged Noel.

did the medical staff red flag McLemore also?

for me, it's not just that we passed up on Noel, but we passed on both Noel AND McLemore which has me infuriated.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Win less than 30 with him...... Win less than 30 without him.

I would have been much happier with Noel or McLemore but what the hell do I know.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
did the medical staff red flag McLemore also?

for me, it's not just that we passed up on Noel, but we passed on both Noel AND McLemore which has me infuriated.

OK, I don't get it. McLemore's motor is a question mark and he's not a big. His entourage is a problem. He was sliding for a lot of people. I still would have liked to have had him, but for me it was a toss up between McLemore and Len.

If Noel was a red flag, he was a red flag. He is not even in the discussion. I am not sure how passing on both is any different than passing on one. They did not pass on McLemore, they took the player they liked better, period. Its not like Len was such a stretch. Len was less of a stretch at 5 than Bennett was at 1, or Zeller at 4.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't get the Len hatred. I would have picked McLemore, but then again I wanted Tskitishvilli over Amare back in the day, so I don't know if I am the right person to make a pick. Having said that I would have picked McLemore, I just don't understand why people are freaking out about Len.
Guy who are 7'1, 250lb, can move like that, can play D, can block shots, have some nice moves on offense don't grow on trees. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, or Hakeem, but none of them were available.

There is no use talking when nobody is listening. Haters need to hate.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I don't get it. McLemore's motor is a question mark and he's not a big.

and meanwhile, even with his questionable motor, he was still MUCH more successful as a freshman, then Len as a sophomore.

Len, a 7'1 C, made little to no impact on a Maryland team that didn't make the tournament and he wasn't even deemed one of the top 15 players...in his conference.

McLemore was the best player on a Senior laden Jayhawk team that was ranked in the top 5 all season and was named 1st Team in the entire NCAA and was a John Wooden award finalist.

Who cares if Len is a big. Drafting a big simply because he's a big just isn't a good basketball decision.

His entourage is a problem. He was sliding for a lot of people. I still would have liked to have had him, but for me it was a toss up between McLemore and Len.

and i guess i just don't see how Len, who's size should have let him dominate college basketball but didn't even come close is a toss up to a younger, more athletic, impact player on a top 5 team.

If Noel was a red flag, he was a red flag. He is not even in the discussion. I am not sure how passing on both is any different than passing on one. They did not pass on McLemore, they took the player they liked better, period. Its not like Len was such a stretch. Len was less of a stretch at 5 than Bennett was at 1, or Zeller at 4.

he's less of a stretch...why? because the Suns took him? he did NOTHING impressive in college. Not ONE thing can you hang your hat on and say "Wow, Len is GREAT at that." That's my problem with picking him over guys like Noel and McLemore.

only time will tell who's right or wrong. hope to be proven wrong, but I hate the pick...if you couldn't tell. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I don't get it. McLemore's motor is a question mark and he's not a big. His entourage is a problem. He was sliding for a lot of people. I still would have liked to have had him, but for me it was a toss up between McLemore and Len.

Not even close unless you're getting all your information from the internet draft sites. Bennett was running neck and neck with Noel for the first pick in this draft until his game went south. Internet sites ignored him after that but it's clear the scouts didn't. They were well aware that his drop-off was caused by his rotator cuff injury. As I've said many times this season, when healthy, he was clearly the most dominant player in college. There are some legitimate questions about translating to the pro game but he was always in the running for the first pick.

As for Zeller, I kept hearing the same things when I watched the pre-draft shows. They'd say that Zeller is the most complete big man in college and despite all these internet services ranking him in the low lottery, come draft day he would move back to where he belongs in the top 5. His wingspan scared away a few people but when you look at his strengths - mid range game, pick and roll defense, athleticism, court speed, footwork, passing and a great locker room guy it's no surprise that teams thought better of him than DX and the like.

I agree with you about Noel, if our medical people red-flagged then that's the end of the conversation. We don't need to take that kind of gamble. I have no problem with passing on McLemore either. I find it hard to believe that Len is really a better option but I do take some comfort in knowing that McD didn't just follow the internet hype when they drafted him. He has a history with Len and I believe them when they say he was at the top of their board. Now, we just need to see how Jeff and company are going to fit these pieces together.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Have you been reading this and every other thread? These picks had NOTHING to do with Sarver! McD has been following Len since 2010 in Lithuania!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you about Noel, if our medical people red-flagged then that's the end of the conversation. We don't need to take that kind of gamble. I have no problem with passing on McLemore either. I find it hard to believe that Len is really a better option but I do take some comfort in knowing that McD didn't just follow the internet hype when they drafted him. He has a history with Len and I believe them when they say he was at the top of their board. Now, we just need to see how Jeff and company are going to fit these pieces together.

Steve

OK. So the debate is Len or McLemore. Is there anyone else they should have taken in that spot?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
OK. So the debate is Len or McLemore. Is there anyone else they should have taken in that spot?

From my perspective, no. Len or McLemore was the only choice. I would have gone with McLemore, but I wasn't there to see how bad he was in workouts, and I haven't been scouting Len for the past 3 years, so I am assuming McD did the right thing.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Gambo reported today that if Len was gone they would have taken Burke over McLemore.

I am thinking they really didn't like McLemore.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Alex Len was talked about #1 Pick (potentially) all the way back to game against Noel. Every new update on ESPN Insider had him rated high, early on Season they had Len and Zeller as top 2 bigmen, etc. Noel then took over for Zeller on top tier.

I'm a bit worried about ankle but also all the scouts, GM's saying Maryland had trouble getting him the ball - Derrick Favors had similar issues at GT and he actually played with some decent players (Iman Shumpert and Glen Rice Jr.). Favors has more talent and athleticism but hasn't had a breakout year that many expected... I liked the Suns Draft but the only time was excited in last few years (on Draft day) are the years I don't watch College much (Earl Clark was my Pick that year - at least who was left on board). My favorites were Jordan Hill, T Williams, Thabeet, Daye, Budinger, etc. Lol and I had Stephen Curry rated in 20's - though ankle had some issues but he could've been a Sun.

I Love the Goodwin Pick! When I was actually watching (early Season) he was one of my favorites - I pegged him a bit high when mentioned favs were him, Porter, McLemore, Oladipo, Muhammad, etc. (in whichever order) as best 5 players early on.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

An argument can be made for a ton of guys. Its not just McLemore or Len (although in my mind McLemore wins that in a landslide). We could have drafted Burke, Carter Williams, CJ McCollum traded down, traded up. We could have drafted Noel and traded him just like New Orleans did.

I have not seen much of a positive argument for this pick. Yeah, you can pick apart the other candidates based on either their production, injury concerns or effort... but if you put that same microscope on Len he has EACH of those concerns. He didnt produce, stress fractures are a terrifying sign in big men and he frequently disappeared.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone in the draft had flaws. McLemore was rumored to be sliding because of poor workouts. Noel has absolutely no offensive game and is outweighed by a lot of G's.

Here are the positive from selecting Len:
- NBA size for a C at 7'1 255
- Mobile and athletic (former gymnast)
- Offensively and defensively skilled
- Young and full of potential
- Replacement for Gortat

SG & wing players are easier to find, plus spot open for either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Len of course needs to get stronger and develop his skills but he has the tools to be successful. I could see him being a Zydrunas Ilguaskas.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Everyone in the draft had flaws. McLemore was rumored to be sliding because of poor workouts. Noel has absolutely no offensive game and is outweighed by a lot of G's.

Here are the positive from selecting Len:
- NBA size for a C at 7'1 255
- Mobile and athletic (former gymnast)
- Offensively and defensively skilled
- Young and full of potential
- Replacement for Gortat

SG & wing players are easier to find, plus spot open for either Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker. Len of course needs to get stronger and develop his skills but he has the tools to be successful. I could see him being a Zydrunas Ilguaskas.

Good summary. :thumbup:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bottomline, quality centers are the hardest to find commodities in the NBA. If Len has a chance to become one then I'm all for it. He certainly doesn't seem like a stiff but a active mobile type player.

I'm eager to see what the Suns coaching staff can do with Len.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you think about it, the ONLY positive things we've heard about McLemore were from this recent season. Every draft event had him be average or below average. And that workout must have been really bad. Everybody here was convinced it was a smokescreen (myself included), but they must have been telling the truth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake