Alex Len

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SG & wing players are easier to find,

This says it all. The Suns were not going to find a potential starting center at the end of the first round. SGs and Wings are easier to find as you point out. Let's hope Archie Goodwin develops. I'm excited by this pick as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottomline, quality centers are the hardest to find commodities in the NBA. If Len has a chance to become one then I'm all for it. He certainly doesn't seem like a stiff but a active mobile type player.

I'm eager to see what the Suns coaching staff can do with Len.

Same here.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you think about it, the ONLY positive things we've heard about McLemore were from this recent season. Every draft event had him be average or below average. And that workout must have been really bad. Everybody here was convinced it was a smokescreen (myself included), but they must have been telling the truth.

But we've seen positive things from McLemore. He has talents that we can say he has potential to be elite in the NBA as a shooter and as an athlete. We cant say those types things about Len. For his supposed strong offensive and defensive games he displayed neither in college.

McLemore supposedly struggled in workouts with teams, causing him to drop... Len could not work out in the 1st place because he has broken bones.

Bottomline, quality centers are the hardest to find commodities in the NBA. If Len has a chance to become one then I'm all for it. He certainly doesn't seem like a stiff but a active mobile type player.

I'm eager to see what the Suns coaching staff can do with Len.

Centers are not of the importance they used to be. Many of the contending teams of recent years did not use traditional centers. Speed and the ability to spread the court is whats currently dominating the league.

The Suns had a "true" center last year and one many of us considered to be one of the better ones in the league. But they were still a trash team because they had the worst shooters and least athletic teams in the league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But we've seen positive things from McLemore.

Not in the last 2 months. Everything that has been seen in the past two months has been mediocre at best. Not great when you are auditioning for the greatest job in your universe.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm. How many times does it have to be stated that the best medical/training team in the league (ours) red flagged Noel.

did the medical staff red flag McLemore also?

for me, it's not just that we passed up on Noel, but we passed on both Noel AND McLemore which has me infuriated.

okay, are you over the fact that they passed on Noel now since it's apparently known that the highly regarded Phoenix Suns medical staff red flagged his knee? By the way, they obviously made the Phoenix Suns feel comfortable about Len's health as well. As I've said many times I would have taken McLemore with my fairly limited exposure to each of them and my nonexpert scouting opinion. I'm not even close to sold on Len, but talk about some over the top reaction. I guess I understand because I felt the same way about Marshall last year.

When a guy's motor is questioned, it scares the crap out me, especially big men.

Uh, that's one of the biggest reasons that McLemore slipped not to mention he apparently bombed at least a few of his visits. And maybe I missed something, but I didn't hear about Len's motor getting questioned as much as his assertiveness and why he didn't dominate a little more. I can understand that although some of it probably has to do with the fact that he was playing on a fracture for at least part of the season.

People comparing Len to Lopez need to stop watching basketball. Len is a very good face to face player who uses quick jab steps and moves to get around big men. He's way faster than Lopez and he also passes extremely well out of the post. He's better than Lolopez who crouches like a 6 foot guard and can't get any rebounds.

I'm not saying he is going to be a star but he's better than Lopez.

And comparing him to Lolopez makes no sense. He's way way way way more athletic and he has good hands as well.

I agree. I'm not sure how you can look at video of Len and come up with Robin Lopez as a good comparison. For starters, Len stands up straight and looks to have great hands. But I'm not even saying Len will definitely be better than Lopez. I just don't see the comparison at all.

An argument can be made for a ton of guys. Its not just McLemore or Len (although in my mind McLemore wins that in a landslide). We could have drafted Burke, Carter Williams, CJ McCollum traded down, traded up. We could have drafted Noel and traded him just like New Orleans did.

you think the Sixers would have made that deal with us if we weren't willing to give them our 2014 draft pick? Try again

Well, here's hoping all that scouting paid off. I do like the Goodwin pick.

Joe

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OK. So the debate is Len or McLemore. Is there anyone else they should have taken in that spot?

No. If McLemore was already taken then I would have no hesitation drafting Len. Maybe McCollum could be a thought but Len still gets the nod over him.

I feel like passing on a guy as talented and skilled as McLemore is the kind of thing that can get a GM fired.

Hopefully McDonough got this one right.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN did a player comparison match and Lopez was the #3 player for Len. This isn't the stretch you guys think it is based off a youtube highlight video.

His 97% comparison is freaking Meyers Leonard.

Who did Meyers Leonard compare to? Robin Lopez

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man, Len was asked why he didn't get more touches in college and why his team was bad and he replied saying that its cause spacing sucks in college. And then the next reporter asked him "Well spacing could suck in the NBA too, so how would you adjust to that" and Len just looked plain dumb and muttered his way out of the question......

I sure hope the Suns plan on putting all shooters around this kid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not in the last 2 months. Everything that has been seen in the past two months has been mediocre at best. Not great when you are auditioning for the greatest job in your universe.

And what have we seen from Len in the past 2 months? Xrays?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Len vs Plumlee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOZGc2_ubc4
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330740150

Len does okay, but doesn't necessarily outplay Plumlee.

Maryland vs Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UML-dKikCzs
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330690258

Len looked monumentally bad. He shoots 2-for-9, makes the go-ahead bucket for the other team, gets blocked due to a two inch vertical, air balls two midrange jumpers, misses easy blocks, misses easy rebounds, gets pushed around on defense, has 10 rebounds (sixth most in the game). He made a couple of nice passes and maybe one good offensive move. Also, the other team was pretty much all guards.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And what have we seen from Len in the past 2 months? Xrays?

McD has 3 years of info on Len. Much more than anybody else in the entire league, I'd bet. And it's highly probable they didn't have that much info about McLemore. They had recent interviews as well. Sure they didn't see Len work out, but they saw McLemore a few times at least, and EVERY report says he bombed.

And of course, the old adage of good bigs being harder to come by than guards and wings can apply as well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And of course, the old adage of good bigs being harder to come by than guards and wings can apply as well.

That old adage is exactly why mediocre bigs are always drafted too early, to the detriment of the teams that draft them. Len may turn out to be fine, but following that "old adage" on draft night is a losing strategy, generally speaking.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That old adage is exactly why mediocre bigs are always drafted too early, to the detriment of the teams that draft them. Len may turn out to be fine, but following that "old adage" on draft night is a losing strategy, generally speaking.

Maybe "old adage" is the wrong word. How about "fact"? ;) Applies to anything, not just the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, Len was asked why he didn't get more touches in college and why his team was bad and he replied saying that its cause spacing sucks in college. And then the next reporter asked him "Well spacing could suck in the NBA too, so how would you adjust to that" and Len just looked plain dumb and muttered his way out of the question......

I sure hope the Suns plan on putting all shooters around this kid.

The kid was saying the coaching was bad at MD in a nicer way. So the reporter was basically asking him what he would do if coaching is bad here--with his new coach sitting next to him. He politely said that he would pass out of the double team.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was all for Ben, but after hearing about his workouts and he was one of the people that didn't even try that hard. I still think he will be a good play, but why did the Kings take him if they already have Evans?

I was never interested in Noel and him not even coming to AZ at sucks. He figured he was going top 3 no matter what.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len is William Bedford x2. I have no confidence in McDonough. Even Babby said this pick is all on McDonough because I bet he knows they should of taken McLemore but when Len turns out to be a bust and McLemore has a solid career, all blame goes to McDonough.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Now for Len I thought he had Top 3 potential has well. He is a lot more athletic than what some are saying. You would never see Bradley, Big Jake or other big center do what he can around the rim. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1873024480072C1482F718730&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I look at him as more of a Garnett type player, has a 12-15ft jumper and has some quickness to get around C & PF. He doesn't have the bulk, but with his length can defend and block shots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Len is William Bedford x2. I have no confidence in McDonough. Even Babby said this pick is all on McDonough because I bet he knows they should of taken McLemore but when Len turns out to be a bust and McLemore has a solid career, all blame goes to McDonough.

I don't know how you can make the William Bedford comparison. Bedford had other problems if you care to look. Also the Suns had not done their research on him. They were shocked when he fell to them. McDonnough has studied Len for years.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how you can make the William Bedford comparison. Bedford had other problems if you care to look. Also the Suns had not done their research on him. They were shocked when he fell to them. McDonnough has studied Len for years.

Comparison is on the court, not off. I just don't see the athleticism and quickness people are saying. Most of the videos I have seen of Len are him making wide-open dunks. Hope I am wrong but I don't see him having any offensive moves. He is only 20 and has room for improvement but he will be facing bigger and quicker guys than he did at Maryland. Jon Koncak could be another comparison.

I still don't understand why they did not take McLemore, that was such the better pick. Like in football, you take the best athlete available. The Suns are going to be bad with McLemore next year and looking at the available guys, they could of really starting building a team. Len is not a guy you build a team around.

Enough of the complaining, it just comes with the territory I guess with being a Suns fan. :bang:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Here is the Alex Len vs Kentucky game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wp2aA2QE-Q

He is till raw. His pick and roll D is poor and gets caught on the guards or in space to many times. He gets great position on Noel. Likes to tip the ball out on Rebounds if he can't grab it, which can be good and bad. Overall I think he is great project that will also give us a chance to get Wiggins next year or SG next year.

Does anyone think that maybe we are going to get Gordon from New Orleans? No way they keep both Holliday and Gordon.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Here is the Alex Len vs Kentucky game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wp2aA2QE-Q

He is till raw. His pick and roll D is poor and gets caught on the guards or in space to many times. He gets great position on Noel. Likes to tip the ball out on Rebounds if he can't grab it, which can be good and bad. Overall I think he is great project that will also give us a chance to get Wiggins next year or SG next year.

Does anyone think that maybe we are going to get Gordon from New Orleans? No way they keep both Holliday and Gordon.

Oh dear God, no. Unless that contract comes with unprotected first round pick, I would not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparison is on the court, not off. I just don't see the athleticism and quickness people are saying. Most of the videos I have seen of Len are him making wide-open dunks. Hope I am wrong but I don't see him having any offensive moves. He is only 20 and has room for improvement but he will be facing bigger and quicker guys than he did at Maryland. Jon Koncak could be another comparison.

I don't know how one would separate William Bedford the person, on the court and off the court.

As I recall Len was slated by the two major mocks to be drafted somewhere between #1-#4. When I see Len I look at what he can do and not what he can't do for a young man barely turned 20. IMO, Bennett and Burke were the most ready to play. The rest had question marks or were projects.

I still don't understand why they did not take McLemore, that was such the better pick. Like in football, you take the best athlete available. The Suns are going to be bad with McLemore next year and looking at the available guys, they could of really starting building a team. Len is not a guy you build a team around.

From what I read, McLemore did not work out well and had a questionable crowd giving him instruction. It may be all be rumor, but the Suns passed on him for a reason. The Suns were certainly eager to pull the trigger on Goodwin. Also if the Suns had Len rated as good or better that McLemore, I believe one should always go big.

Enough of the complaining, it just comes with the territory I guess with being a Suns fan. :bang:

I would say try to be patient. There is no clear winner likely to declared in this draft for a few years although I expect Bennett and Burke to surprise early.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Here's my question to you. If McLemore is so good why did 6 teams pass on him? If he is that good there is no way he falls to 7. How many #6 picks pan out in NBA history? Not saying Len is going to be Shaq lol but McLemore is likely an NBA bust my friends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake