Alex Len

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not even close unless you're getting all your information from the internet draft sites. Bennett was running neck and neck with Noel for the first pick in this draft until his game went south.

Was he?

I don't think so.

As I've said many times this season, when healthy, he was clearly the most dominant player in college.

I disagree.

Bennett started the season with impressive performances but the non-conference competition was quiet weak (Northern Arizona, La Verne and UNC Irvine aren't really tough teams to beat).

Even if he played in a weaker conference, later on he started to fade-away slowly.

Was it because of the shoulder-injury or the opposing teams started to find out how to keep Bennett under control, I don't know but he was quite far away from being dominant in most of the season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was he?

I don't think so.

I disagree.

Bennett started the season with impressive performances but the non-conference competition was quiet weak (Northern Arizona, La Verne and UNC Irvine aren't really tough teams to beat).

Even if he played in a weaker conference, later on he started to fade-away slowly.

Was it because of the shoulder-injury or the opposing teams started to find out how to keep Bennett under control, I don't know but he was quite far away from being dominant in most of the season.

He was getting double digit free throws in just about every game until the shoulder injury. Following the game where he tore his rotator cuff, he started getting 2 or 3 free throws every game. He went from playing physically to shying away from all contact. He went from being a mediocre defender to being a horrible defender. If you want to think it was all a coincidence that's fine but obviously, at least one scouting department followed the bouncing ball.

As for the schedule, I notice you conveniently left out Oregon, Iowa State and California to name a few.

Steve

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all.

Len was projected a surefire lottery pick after his very first game of the season against Kentucky and Noel.

I don't think so. He drew some attention from that performance but most of the talk was about how poorly Noel played rather than how well Len did. It put him in the conversation as a possible first rounder but most experts I heard said he wasn't anywhere near ready to come out this season.

What little interest sparked by the Kentucky game was quickly squashed when he turned in mediocre performances against one of the weakest non-conference schedules in the nation (one road, two neutral and the rest were at home).

He averaged 12.5 points and fewer than 8 boards against the likes of Morehead State, LIU, Lafayette, Ga Southern, Northwestern, George Mason, Maryland-Eastern Shore, SC State, Monmouth, Stony Brook, Delaware State, IUPUI and Mary Beth's Ballet academy. Okay, I made up the last one but it's not exactly a who's who of basketball powerhouses. Keep in mind, he didn't make the ACC all conference team, he didn't make the ACC 2nd team and he didn't even make the 3rd all conference team.

He was generally considered to be a long term project that needed more time in college. Lindy's for example had him rated as the 14th best center going into the season and that was pretty consistent with the other publications I read.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob Young did a fun article on 6-28-13 at azcentral about the mock drafts giving grades. Instead of teams being graded by the mockers, he grades the mockers.

We find it interesting that the Suns are getting some bad grades for their draft, particularly for selecting Alex Len at No. 5 rather than Ben McLemore.

Of course, the trouble with draft grades is that they often are based upon what the folks doing the grading had in their mock drafts. So, because they’re wrong, teams should get a bad grade?

He goes on and gives examples. A good read.

— Matt Moore and Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.

Moore had Porter going No. 1 while Parrish fell for the Cavs double-cross and picked Noel. Both had Len going fourth and both had the Suns selecting Oladipo fifth. Parrish had Bennett going seventh and Moore had him 11th. Ouch.

Grade: D

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...draft-predictions-experts.html?nclick_check=1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob Young did a fun article on 6-28-13 at azcentral about the mock drafts giving grades. Instead of teams being graded by the mockers, he grades the mockers.

I never used to be this way. Before, if I had a favorite guy and they drafted someone not on my radar I just assumed they knew a lot more about it than I did. But now, post-Colangelo I've really begun to wonder. I swear their drafting these past several years has to have been based on reading some internet site. It's the only way we could have picked Marshall over some of the players still available.

I have hopes that our new front office is doing this the right way but it will take a couple of intelligent moves on their part for me to put to rest the knee-jerk responses that drafting someone like Len has elicited from me (and so many others). I want them to be right but I wanted them to be right when they picked Marshall and the first wonder twin too. I really hope my mock draft gets an F.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I never used to be this way. Before, if I had a favorite guy and they drafted someone not on my radar I just assumed they knew a lot more about it than I did. But now, post-Colangelo I've really begun to wonder. I swear their drafting these past several years has to have been based on reading some internet site. It's the only way we could have picked Marshall over some of the players still available.

I have hopes that our new front office is doing this the right way but it will take a couple of intelligent moves on their part for me to put to rest the knee-jerk responses that drafting someone like Len has elicited from me (and so many others). I want them to be right but I wanted them to be right when they picked Marshall and the first wonder twin too. I really hope my mock draft gets an F.

Steve
Not trying to brag, but I have actually got the Suns first round draft picks right since 2009. I said Lopez would suck, and he did. I said Morris wouldn't suck and will be a good tough player for us to have and would work his way to becoming a defensive staple and key role player/starter. I was wrong about the defensive staple part but I hit on everything else. Never thought he would turn into a 3pt shooting chucker though.

And I called the Marshall pick being awful. I almost felt worse about the Suns drafting Marshall than Phrazbit did about the Suns signing Beasley. That should tell you how bad I felt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to brag, but I have actually got the Suns first round draft picks right since 2009. I said Lopez would suck, and he did. I said Morris wouldn't suck and will be a good tough player for us to have and would work his way to becoming a defensive staple and key role player/starter. I was wrong about the defensive staple part but I hit on everything else. Never thought he would turn into a 3pt shooting chucker though.

Lol...you were right on Morris? He's not tough, he's not good defensively and role does he play on this terrible team besides tweener number 3? I mean...he's a KEY role players starter?

That was a wasted pick just like the others. It's like we actively look for guys with low ceilings to draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I called the Marshall pick being awful. I almost felt worse about the Suns drafting Marshall than Phrazbit did about the Suns signing Beasley. That should tell you how bad I felt.

I've been hit and miss through the years.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol...you were right on Morris? He's not tough, he's not good defensively and role does he play on this terrible team besides tweener number 3? I mean...he's a KEY role players starter?

That was a wasted pick just like the others. It's like we actively look for guys with low ceilings to draft.
Eh he isn't that bad, its just that idiot coaches like Gentry and Hunter turned him into Frye 2.0 instead of letting him post up as well.

And he's pretty tough, I don't remember anyone dunking on him or him letting anyone get any easy layups/dunks on him. And he finishes most of the time with authority as well.

He was in the Rising Stars all star game as well. He isn't a wasted pick

Hopefully Hornacek can use him better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one dunks on him because he just gets out of the way. Thats the opposite of toughness. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to defend the rim at the risk being a poster than a dude like Morris who is basically a non-factor.

And he does not get touches in the post because he has no ability in the post. He was projected as a sub-par stretch 4 when we drafted him and thats basically what he is. There is absolutely nothing Morris does well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No one dunks on him because he just gets out of the way. Thats the opposite of toughness. I'd rather have a guy who is willing to defend the rim at the risk being a poster than a dude like Morris who is basically a non-factor.

And he does not get touches in the post because he has no ability in the post. He was projected as a sub-par stretch 4 when we drafted him and thats basically what he is. There is absolutely nothing Morris does well.

What really pisses me off about Morris is that occasionally he will do something great, even have a really good game. You can see what he is capable off, you get excited, and then he goes back to his normal, clueless, terrible self for the next 10 games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What really pisses me off about Morris is that occasionally he will do something great, even have a really good game. You can see what he is capable off, you get excited, and then he goes back to his normal, clueless, terrible self for the next 10 games.
'Sounds like Robin (The Boy Wonder) Lopez.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed, although I think the 1 to 10 ratio is a bit harsh. It's even more frustrating because at times he does things that make you think he's actually a smart player, but just at times.

Steve

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I came into this draft ready to laugh my ass off at the team that picked Len. Then, naturally, the Suns did. This guy is Yi all over again.

Now's the time for everyone to make their predictions. Here's mine. Next year Len goes for 10/5, maybe 10/7 if he's lucky. That's what happens when you draft a guy for being tall and "quick" (really, just being 25-50 lbs underweight.) instead of being a good basketball player. He spends half the year injured and at least one of the next two years he's out for all or most of the season. That's what happens when you draft a 7'1" guy who is underweight and has stress fracture issues in his feet and ankles at the age of 20. How did Yao's career go after his stress fracture problems started?

In three years Len will be thrown away like a pair of stained underwear. McD will still be here and we will have forgiven him because we'll be so horrendous next year that with a little luck we win the Wiggins sweepstakes.

Goodwin becomes a guy who can go off for 30 or 40 on very rare occasions and get you excited, but most of the time does jack ****.

These are my predictions. You can't win big if you don't bet big.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I came into this draft ready to laugh my ass off at the team that picked Len. Then, naturally, the Suns did. This guy is Yi all over again.

Now's the time for everyone to make their predictions. Here's mine. Next year Len goes for 10/5, maybe 10/7 if he's lucky. That's what happens when you draft a guy for being tall and "quick" (really, just being 25-50 lbs underweight.) instead of being a good basketball player. He spends half the year injured and at least one of the next two years he's out for all or most of the season. That's what happens when you draft a 7'1" guy who is underweight and has stress fracture issues in his feet and ankles at the age of 20. How did Yao's career go after his stress fracture problems started?

In three years Len will be thrown away like a pair of stained underwear. McD will still be here and we will have forgiven him because we'll be so horrendous next year that with a little luck we win the Wiggins sweepstakes.

Goodwin becomes a guy who can go off for 30 or 40 on very rare occasions and get you excited, but most of the time does jack ****.

I don't agree with any of your predictions cause I think Len can be a similar player to Jonas Valaciunas but I must admit that I laughed more than a few times reading your post :D

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

As bad as Marshall played he's still better than Rivers, the guy you wanted.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's a historical fact that teams will gamble drafting bigs hoping to turn them into "NBA ready" type players. The fact that we got Len at #5 makes him far less of a gamble then if we had to use a #1 or #2 pick to get him. Fifth pick is just about right as far as risk/reward goes...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would be happy with 10 and 7 from Len if he plays some decent D, especially if Gortat is still around. It is going to take few years for him to hit stride. Impatient fans will gripe and complain, because McLemore WILL be better than Len next year.

Half the teams in the league will be tanking this year. It is going to be an ugly year of nba basketball. I am seriously thinking of dropping out of watching it altogether for a year. But there is too much of a temptation to see what is going to happen with Howard and LA. If the Lakers are really bad next year, it will be hard to stay away.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be happy with 10 and 7 from Len if he plays some decent D, especially if Gortat is still around. It is going to take few years for him to hit stride. Impatient fans will gripe and complain, because McLemore WILL be better than Len next year.

Half the teams in the league will be tanking this year. It is going to be an ugly year of nba basketball. I am seriously thinking of dropping out of watching it altogether for a year. But there is too much of a temptation to see what is going to happen with Howard and LA. If the Lakers are really bad next year, it will be hard to stay away.

Agreed. Putting up 10 and 7 doesn't really say anything. How he does it and what else he does out there will tell us more. If he plays decent defense that will be a big plus.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As bad as Marshall played he's still better than Rivers, the guy you wanted.
How do you figure? They have very similar stats...granted that Rivers played more but I still don't see how you can come to the conclusion that either is better than the other. They both suck equally.

And when Lamb was slipping, I wanted the Suns to trade up and get him.

But then when we were picking I wanted the Suns to draft Fournier, Terrence Jones or PJIII, not Marshall.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Agreed. The only good teams to watch are gonna be the super teams/teams with multiple all stars like

Miami: Bosh/Wade/Lebron
New York: Melo/Amare/Tyson
Brooklyn: Williams/Johnson/Pierce/KG/Lopez
Chicago: Rose/Noah
Indiana: George/Granger/Hibbert
Lac: Paul/Griffin
San Antonio: Parker/Leonard/Duncan
Lal: Nash/Bryant/Gasol/Howard (for now, but if he bolts he creates another superteam)
Thunder: Ibaka/Westbrook/Durant
GSW: Curry/Lee/Bogut

Other than those 10 teams and Memphis and maybe Denver, the rest of the league probably gonna be tanking.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You guys are right, 10 and 7 would be pretty good for a rookie year. Less so if Gortat gets traded like I'm expecting, but still.

I'm still expecting him to be run over like Frogger when playing defense, and I'm still calling a decent chunk at minimum of injury time for him.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, but watching a game where two teams are trying their best to outtank the other can be very entertaining, just not in a "Wow this is some great and talented basketball I'm watching," kind of way.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Len's gonna get backup mins behind Gortat so I think 10 & 7 is a bit too much, a better expectation would be like 9 boards, 6 boards in 20 mins.'

Lol I just realized that's just 1 pt and rebound short of what you guys said haha.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. The only good teams to watch are gonna be the super teams/teams with multiple all stars like

Miami: Bosh/Wade/Lebron
New York: Melo/Amare/Tyson
Brooklyn: Williams/Johnson/Pierce/KG/Lopez
Chicago: Rose/Noah
Indiana: George/Granger/Hibbert
Lac: Paul/Griffin
San Antonio: Parker/Leonard/Duncan
Lal: Nash/Bryant/Gasol/Howard (for now, but if he bolts he creates another superteam)
Thunder: Ibaka/Westbrook/Durant
GSW: Curry/Lee/Bogut

Brooklyn is going to be interesting. It reminds me of when the Lakers picked up an aging Karl Malone and Gary Payton. That was a colossal failure.