Alex Len

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Len's gonna get backup mins behind Gortat so I think 10 & 7 is a bit too much, a better expectation would be like 9 boards, 6 boards in 20 mins.'

Lol I just realized that's just 1 pt and rebound short of what you guys said haha.

Even down the road, when Len might start and be a part of a good team, 12, 12 and 3 would be good production.

So rookie expectations should not be high.

Reaction score
Len's gonna get backup mins behind Gortat so I think 10 & 7 is a bit too much, a better expectation would be like 9 boards, 6 boards in 20 mins.'

Lol I just realized that's just 1 pt and rebound short of what you guys said haha.

I think Len will be a backup in tell the trade deadline or unless we get an offer for Gortat that we can't pass up either is really the perfect case for him.

As far as taking him you simply can't pass on a guy like him with legit low post skills it is one thing to take a athletic 7 footer who you hope to develop into a low post scorer but when he's already an effective one it makes it an easy choice.

Len was listed at 7-1 and 255 if that's legit he's not all that small really I wouldn't want him no bigger than 270. What lead to Oden's down fall was all the weight he put on he put on he put on like 30-40 pounds if not more from his 1st to 2nd year and his body just couldn't take it it's a shame because the trailblazers ruined his career and Roy's by letting him comeback from knee surgery like 10 days later to lose a playoffs series they weren't going to win anyway. I wouldn't want Len to bulk up unless he had to who's out there that's going to bully ball him? Howard? Hibbert? Bynum? Outside of them really can't see anybody else overmatching him physically.

Think of it this way you have Stephen Curry or Roy Hibbert who do you take? Its an easy choice you take Hibbert. There may not be another Stephen Curry but the drop off isn't as far from year to year with guards theres just simply more talent at that position and legit centers just don't come around very often like Anthony Davis was listed as a center coming out and he'd likely struggle to stop Len in the post 1 on 1 kind of Like Amare defending Duncan he just didn't have the size. There are what 2 maybe 3 legit "centers" not PF's who can put up 20-10? heck nobody had a 20-10 year this year.

I would have taken McLemore but at the same time I understand why we took Len if he ends up being just an 17-8 guy who can score out of the post and block some shots we could've still very well ended up with the best player in this draft. I just hope at worst Len can give us what Gortat can the suns are so bad a team from a talent stand point they can't really afford to miss and end up with a player who had no business being picked in the top 5 it really is a roll of the dice so to say.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think so. He drew some attention from that performance but most of the talk was about how poorly Noel played rather than how well Len did. It put him in the conversation as a possible first rounder but most experts I heard said he wasn't anywhere near ready to come out this season.

No, DX had him at #13 even before the Kentucky game:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/lens-draft-stock-on-the-rise-after-kentucky-game/

and after he solidified his position in the top10. I can't really recall any serious mock that placed him out of top10. Even if it was any, the consensus was that he is a lottery pick all year.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was getting double digit free throws in just about every game until the shoulder injury. Following the game where he tore his rotator cuff, he started getting 2 or 3 free throws every game. He went from playing physically to shying away from all contact. He went from being a mediocre defender to being a horrible defender. If you want to think it was all a coincidence that's fine but obviously, at least one scouting department followed the bouncing ball.

As for the schedule, I notice you conveniently left out Oregon, Iowa State and California to name a few.

Yes, these are good teams, my point was that against N. Arizona, La Verne and UC Irvine UNLV had blow-out wins so Bennett's impressive stats have a bit less significance, IMO.

As for his FT-shooting: he picked up the injury at the end of February and if his FT-attempts are the main indicator of his dominance, they started to drop way before his injury.

Anyway, I see where are you coming from regarding Bennett, and probably you have seen some of his good/better games where he has indeed shown that kind of charisma, phisicality and skillset that is needed to become a dominant player.

My point is that he had too much of those games when he was very/quite quiet and because of that he was not really a legit candidate for #1 and it was a surprise that the Cavs picked him at the top.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even down the road, when Len might start and be a part of a good team, 12, 12 and 3 would be good production.

So rookie expectations should not be high.
I think Len should be putting up 16 and 10 when he's in his prime. If not, that's a bust.

As a top 5 pick, that's a fair expectation.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not like we're organizing a sit-in to keep him from entering the arena or anything. We're just offering our opinions based on what little familiarity we have with this guy, no different than the many fans here who are voicing their support of this selection. But, there isn't a person here that won't give Len (or Goodwin) a fair chance when the season rolls around.

Steve

Don't forget. Everybody booed the Majerle selection and look how that turned out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget. Everybody booed the Majerle selection and look how that turned out.

don't forget, that Suns team had INCREDIBLE scouts and routinely were finding gems at almost every point of the draft. this team hasn't shown that ability at all in forever.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL... 12 boards and 3 blocks would be good production? Both of those numbers would have led the league in each category this year...and most years.

That would be GREAT production, but anyone seriously believing Len will lead the league in rebounding and blocks per game...well...I just don't see how that can be expected in any way shape or form.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, DX had him at #13 even before the Kentucky game:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/lens-draft-stock-on-the-rise-after-kentucky-game/

and after he solidified his position in the top10. I can't really recall any serious mock that placed him out of top10. Even if it was any, the consensus was that he is a lottery pick all year.

Nice find. I'm surprised to see someone rated him so highly prior to the Kentucky game, it certainly wasn't the case from the preseason magazines that I read. As I mentioned, Lindy's had him as the number 14 center in their preseason rankings.

Steve

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have hopes that our new front office is doing this the right way but it will take a couple of intelligent moves on their part for me to put to rest the knee-jerk responses that drafting someone like Len has elicited from me (and so many others). I want them to be right but I wanted them to be right when they picked Marshall and the first wonder twin too. I really hope my mock draft gets an F.

Steve

Yep, I hope I'm able to laugh at you guys for years to come. :p

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Urban myth. Some people booed him. :) BTW, I wasn't one of them nor was I disappointed when we drafted Nash. As for Majerle, I never understood why so many people were against that pick it's not like he came out of nowhere. He was good enough to make the team that represented us in the Olympics that year. I think Cotton's legend was really cemented that night when he had words for the boo-birds. And yes, back to your point, we the fans miss on a lot of these guys.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban myth. Some people booed him. :) BTW, I wasn't one of them nor was I disappointed when we drafted Nash. As for Majerle, I never understood why so many people were against that pick it's not like he came out of nowhere. He was good enough to make the team that represented us in the Olympics that year. I think Cotton's legend was really cemented that night when he had words for the boo-birds. And yes, back to your point, we the fans miss on a lot of these guys.

Steve

unfortunately, the team has missed on a lot more guys ever since Sarver took over and wiped the old Suns scouting team out of the building.

outside of Dragic, can anyone think of one impact player the Suns have drafted in the last 8 years?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you figure? They have very similar stats...granted that Rivers played more but I still don't see how you can come to the conclusion that either is better than the other. They both suck equally.

And when Lamb was slipping, I wanted the Suns to trade up and get him.

But then when we were picking I wanted the Suns to draft Fournier, Terrence Jones or PJIII, not Marshall.

Rivers was much much worse. He was so bad that articles were being written to ask if he was having the worst season in league history! Marshall was a slick passer who everyone knew couldn't shoot, that's exactly how he played. Rivers was supposed to be a shooter/scorer and someone you pegged as the next Curry. Instead he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. No one in the entire league made as few baskets as him on as many attempts, the scrub couldn't even hit his free throws. And for good measure he also could not pass or defend either.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Yeah, what was it he said? You're going to regret it, or something like that?

As far as drafting Len, I don't watch enough college ball to be upset with the pick. I'm just trying to keep an open mind and hope that McDonough and crew know what they're doing. TBH, I'm excited to have a mobile 7'1" center prospect on the Suns for a change. I thought he showed promise in the videos I watched. It could really be something if he turns out to be good.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, the team has missed on a lot more guys ever since Sarver took over and wiped the old Suns scouting team out of the building.

outside of Dragic, can anyone think of one impact player the Suns have drafted in the last 8 years?

The last 8 years is really like 4 since they cashed in or traded away so many draft picks. Stupid mistake that I'm glad to see that Sarver has acknowledged.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair we really haven't been all that bad given where we drafted. Of course where we drafted was our fault as we kept giving away any of the picks that might have done us some good. If there is anything that will convince me this organization has seen the light it will be if they re-stock their scouting cupboard with quality people. Not that I'd know who those quality people are but it will be evident to us after the fact when we once again start finding the occasional gem later in the draft.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what was it he said? You're going to regret it, or something like that?

As far as drafting Len, I don't watch enough college ball to be upset with the pick. I'm just trying to keep an open mind and hope that McDonough and crew know what they're doing. TBH, I'm excited to have a mobile 7'1" center prospect on the Suns for a change. I thought he showed promise in the videos I watched. It could really be something if he turns out to be good.

Yeah he just growled at them that they'd regret booing Majerle. Nobody could growl like Cotton. Well, maybe Tom Waits but I don't know if he follows basketball. As for Len, I don't watch enough Maryland basketball to justify how upset I was with the selection.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rivers was much much worse. He was so bad that articles were being written to ask if he was having the worst season in league history! Marshall was a slick passer who everyone knew couldn't shoot, that's exactly how he played. Rivers was supposed to be a shooter/scorer and someone you pegged as the next Curry. Instead he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. No one in the entire league made as few baskets as him on as many attempts, the scrub couldn't even hit his free throws. And for good measure he also could not pass or defend either.

Rivers definitely sucks but so does Marshall. Damn I said Rivers is as good a shooter as Curry? I really don't remember saying that but WOW if I did which my idiot self probably did. I thought Rivers was gonna do good in this league I really did. I think the Hornets-Gordon situation did him no favors but still he should have been playing much better. Oh well, not like we had a shot at getting him anyway.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How do you figure? They have very similar stats...granted that Rivers played more but I still don't see how you can come to the conclusion that either is better than the other. They both suck equally.

Because Marshall proved he has at least 1 NBA level skill. Everyone knew Marshall couldn't score or defend coming out but in the 3 games he started he averaged over 12apg.

Rivers is supposed to be a scoring guard and he scored at a worse rate on higher volume and doesn't appear to have any NBA worthy skill. Marshall finished with a better PER, TS%, steal rate, assist rate, O-rating and D-rating. You're right that they were both terrible, but one was worse.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We get one of the best scouts in the league to run our team and everyone is thrilled. He drafts a guy that he has been following closely for three years. He says he has only been scratching the surface of his potential. The draftee has projected going 1-4 in every mock I have seen over the last few weeks. He has great size and length. Now the world is coming to an end.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Because Marshall proved he has at least 1 NBA level skill. Everyone knew Marshall couldn't score or defend coming out but in the 3 games he started he averaged over 12apg.

Rivers is supposed to be a scoring guard and he scored at a worse rate on higher volume and doesn't appear to have any NBA worthy skill. Marshall finished with a better PER, TS%, steal rate, assist rate, O-rating and D-rating. You're right that they were both terrible, but one was worse.

Rivers wasn't very good but I have to tell ya... it was in large part the Hornets fault for trying to make him a PG. There was no backup PG on the roster so he was kind of it by default. I would be surprised if he didn't make vast improvements in the next couple years. You can tell he has all the moves when you watch the highlights he just shot really really poorly. I'm not a Marshall fan, but I'm still holding out hope he'll improve because I don't think he's moveable for anything. It's just... he'll never be able to improve his athleticism so he has to be able to compensate for it with a more than reliable jumper or he'll be out of the league in 3 years. :(

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last 8 years is really like 4 since they cashed in or traded away so many draft picks. Stupid mistake that I'm glad to see that Sarver has acknowledged.

okay...so, can you think of one impact player that Suns have drafted in the last 4 years?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get one of the best scouts in the league to run our team and everyone is thrilled.

personally, the jury's out on McDonough for me. He didn't come to any position of real power in the Celtics organization until 2008...which was after they drafted Rondo and in that time, he drafted one player who's a decent NBA player in Avery Bradley. That team was built on trades and established NBA superstars, not the draft and now the cupboards are completely bare and the Celtics are looking at a complete rebuild with no pieces but Rondo.

He drafts a guy that he has been following closely for three years. He says he has only been scratching the surface of his potential.

I guess I'm just not crazy about a guy with his size and length only scratching against college guys.

The draftee has projected going 1-4 in every mock I have seen over the last few weeks.

so were the two guys we passed on.

I guess y'all just put more stock in McDonough then I do.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rivers wasn't very good but I have to tell ya... it was in large part the Hornets fault for trying to make him a PG. There was no backup PG on the roster so he was kind of it by default. I would be surprised if he didn't make vast improvements in the next couple years. You can tell he has all the moves when you watch the highlights he just shot really really poorly. I'm not a Marshall fan, but I'm still holding out hope he'll improve because I don't think he's moveable for anything. It's just... he'll never be able to improve his athleticism so he has to be able to compensate for it with a more than reliable jumper or he'll be out of the league in 3 years. :(

They said they planned on playing him at PG when he was drafted but he played almost exclusively with Vasquez on the court and only got spot minutes at PG. Rivers does have an adequate handle, but he can't finish at the rim or shoot and has terrible decision making. He needs to re-work his game from the ground up to be a productive player but I have hard time seeing that happen at this level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake