Alex Len

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I guess y'all just put more stock in McDonough then I do.

Well, of course. This is what he does for a living. I am going to assume he knows more about what he does for a living than I do. If I see actual evidence (not opinion) that he doesn't know what he is doing, then I'll be glad to join you and others on the "McD sucks" bandwagon. I am not arrogant enough to jump on the bandwagon until I see some evidence that McD is not better at his job than a bunch of amateurs like you and I.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, of course. This is what he does for a living. I am going to assume he knows more about what he does for a living than I do. If I see actual evidence (not opinion) that he doesn't know what he is doing, then I'll be glad to join you and others on the "McD sucks" bandwagon. I am not arrogant enough to jump on the bandwagon until I see some evidence that McD is not better at his job than a bunch of amateurs like you and I.

jesus...who's saying he SUCKS? NO ONE. Stop putting words in people's mouths. I just think the jury's out on him because the Celtics haven't done jack in the draft outside of a getting a role player in Bradley in the 5 years McDonough got power in the organization.

As far as the whole "he knows more..." how did that work for Blanks or Babby in the last couple years?

I mean, if you can't comment on picks because the pros know more then we do, should we just shut any and all draft threads down...unless the threads are just cheerleading?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
That's all true, but I wonder whether this moribund franchise can tolerate another entire season of waiting for next year. Last year's squad had no exciting young talent to develop, and now this year's squad is shaping up to be the same, unless Goodwin pans out. Len may prove to be competent, eventually, but he'll never be exciting, and excitement is what this fan base is sorely missing.

If the Suns had gone with McLemore and he bombed, it would still have been a better choice, because it would make the franchise look courageous and aggressive, plus put them in a better position for next year's draft anyway. McLemore was a win-win. Almost no one thinks that Len is going to step in and contribute right away, so there's very little reason to follow next year's team at all.

I disagree. This year we can see more of our (potential) future by watching Len and Goodwin, and we can see if Marshall has gotten any better. I don't think anyone's stoked to see Beasley and Wesley Johnson any more so that's out the window. So for me it's Dragic, Len and Goodwin, and maybe a bit of Marshall. That's some players to see. I hope Keef can take some steps, but I doubt it.

Another thing is that big men usually take longer to develop and Len's barely 20 years. It's good to give him a year now and get "the star" next year, at either PF or on the wing, or even at point guard, what do I know.

I'll be watching, but I hope we keep loosing because I want a top 3-5 pick next year.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
They said they planned on playing him at PG when he was drafted but he played almost exclusively with Vasquez on the court and only got spot minutes at PG. Rivers does have an adequate handle, but he can't finish at the rim or shoot and has terrible decision making. He needs to re-work his game from the ground up to be a productive player but I have hard time seeing that happen at this level.

That's not true. At least it wasn't for the games I went to and watched.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's not true. At least it wasn't for the games I went to and watched.

According to 82games the top 20 5 man units had Rivers alongside Vasquez or Roberts and only received 3% of the available minutes at PG. Rivers also started 26 games while Vasquez started all but 4 so they did play together quite a bit(which was the case in the 10 or so Hornets games I watched).

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213NOH2.HTM

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers -- THE CLIPPERS -- did more to energize their fanbase than the Suns.

Worst. Trend. Ever.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
jesus...who's saying he SUCKS? NO ONE. Stop putting words in people's mouths. I just think the jury's out on him because the Celtics haven't done jack in the draft outside of a getting a role player in Bradley in the 5 years McDonough got power in the organization.

As far as the whole "he knows more..." how did that work for Blanks or Babby in the last couple years?

I mean, if you can't comment on picks because the pros know more then we do, should we just shut any and all draft threads down...unless the threads are just cheerleading?

Well, you are saying he sucks as he passed on Noel and McLemore to take Len. You've been crying about it since they picked Len.

As far as "he knows more", you are right- there is evidence that Blanks was terrible, and it's fair to say that he is terrible and doesn't know more. If McD gives us evidence that he not much better than Blanks, then I'll adjust my position, but I am going to give the man the benefit of the doubt for now because I have no evidence that he is incompetent.

Of course we can comment- I've commented on the pick, and I stand by my comments that I would have taken McLemore over Len, but Len over Noel. That's my opinion, I am happy to share it, I am happy to discuss it, but what I am not going to do is spend an hour every day posting about how bad Len is, how McD doesn't know what he is doing, etc.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
I just registered on here to say my thoughts about Alen Len - Barring injury I think he'll be a star ... I am a Maryland Student, so I've watched nearly all of his games - But don't take that as me being biased, If he sucked I would say so

The one thing that is bugging me is the fact that everybody is just glossing over how many minutes he played - 27 ... You extend that to Per 36 minutes and his #'s would look similar to the top players in the country (About 16-11) - And that's all while being 19 years old and not playing Basketball for very long

Len is also an extremely unselfish player (Which works well in the NBA, but not in college) - If he wanted his #'s against bad teams, he could have demanded the ball more and played more ... People forget the goal in college is to win though - Maryland dominated inferior competition to start the season (won like 10 straight) and Turgeon Played Len no more than 25 minutes both games

There is also a lot of mis-information about Len's rebounding / Defense ... He is a Great Low-Post defender and also a very solid rebounded (Will be a better defender in the NBA than Noel) ... That is evident from Maryland being Top 5 in the nation I believe in Rebounding and Defense - Something that very few people are mentioning and Len had a lot to do with that

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just registered on here to say my thoughts about Alen Len - Barring injury I think he'll be a star ... I am a Maryland Student, so I've watched nearly all of his games - But don't take that as me being biased, If he sucked I would say so

The one thing that is bugging me is the fact that everybody is just glossing over how many minutes he played - 27 ... You extend that to Per 36 minutes and his #'s would look similar to the top players in the country (About 16-11) - And that's all while being 19 years old and not playing Basketball for very long

Len is also an extremely unselfish player (Which works well in the NBA, but not in college) - If he wanted his #'s against bad teams, he could have demanded the ball more and played more ... People forget the goal in college is to win though - Maryland dominated inferior competition to start the season (won like 10 straight) and Turgeon Played Len no more than 25 minutes both games

There is also a lot of mis-information about Len's rebounding / Defense ... He is a Great Low-Post defender and also a very solid rebounded (Will be a better defender in the NBA than Noel) ... That is evident from Maryland being Top 5 in the nation I believe in Rebounding and Defense - Something that very few people are mentioning and Len had a lot to do with that

Some good information there, thanks for the post. I'm especially glad to hear his defense is better than advertised.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay...so, can you think of one impact player that Suns have drafted in the last 4 years?

How could I think of one when there haven't been any?

Short answer: no.

But I'm not sure why you're asking the question. We've had terrible talent evaluation during that time. The jury's still out on McDonough and crew who just had their first draft.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
don't forget, that Suns team had INCREDIBLE scouts and routinely were finding gems at almost every point of the draft. this team hasn't shown that ability at all in forever.

This is a different GM. So I don't think that's a very fair assessment.

I'm not super-stoked about the pick. Probably somewhere in the middle. But, I'll give McDonough, who was scouting Len 3-4 years ago in a tiny gym in Lithuania, the benefit of the doubt.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
unfortunately, the team has missed on a lot more guys ever since Sarver took over and wiped the old Suns scouting team out of the building.

outside of Dragic, can anyone think of one impact player the Suns have drafted in the last 8 years?

Rajon Rondo :bang:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, the jury's out on McDonough for me. He didn't come to any position of real power in the Celtics organization until 2008...which was after they drafted Rondo and in that time, he drafted one player who's a decent NBA player in Avery Bradley. That team was built on trades and established NBA superstars, not the draft and now the cupboards are completely bare and the Celtics are looking at a complete rebuild with no pieces but Rondo.

What you are not aware of is the fact that McDonough was THE major proponent in drafting Rondo. I'm not going to go back and find the articles but it's a known fact.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What you are not aware of is the fact that McDonough was THE major proponent in drafting Rondo. I'm not going to go back and find the articles but it's a known fact.

Yeah, the stories about McDonough when he got the Suns job indicated that he had Rondo #2 on his board for that draft. I remember that draft pretty well, I was pretty disappointed the Suns sold those 2 late picks because I really wanted Sergio Rodriguez or Jordan Farmer. I was just fine with them not wasting their time on Rondo because I thought he'd flame out just like Marcus Williams did.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
According to 82games the top 20 5 man units had Rivers alongside Vasquez or Roberts and only received 3% of the available minutes at PG. Rivers also started 26 games while Vasquez started all but 4 so they did play together quite a bit(which was the case in the 10 or so Hornets games I watched).

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213NOH2.HTM

But Roberts isn't a PG either. Rivers did all the ball handling when General Grievis was on the bench and kind of split duties with Grievis handling the ball during the first half of the season. How does 82 games get their stats to know who is playing PG? Pull it off the ESPN box score?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But Roberts isn't a PG either. Rivers did all the ball handling when General Grievis was on the bench and kind of split duties with Grievis handling the ball during the first half of the season. How does 82 games get their stats to know who is playing PG? Pull it off the ESPN box score?

I'd guess they're using synergysports or some other such service but you could always contact them if you're really curious. You can also look at the fact that Rivers and Gordon don't pair at all in the top 20 5 man units as a pretty strong indication that Rivers wasn't seeing much time at PG by the time Gordon returned.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm skeptical about Len's defense, but we'll see.

What's not questionable is the boot on his foot. Again, how did Yao's career go once he started having stress fracture problems?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've watched more video on Len and I'm getting more excited about getting him. I know I've only seen highlights but he looks so fluid and his touch around the rim looked remarkable. I'm saying right now no way he turns into a bust. If his ankle is ok and he can hold up physically I don't see how see can lose with this guy. He's just raw right now but he oozes potential. He will excel at something with the Suns....book it!

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll admit having seen more of him I'm not as disappointed. I'm still concerned about the health issue though. The greatest training staff in the world can't do jack if your bones just aren't capable of absorbing all the stress of jumping and running constantly without fracturing.

Not to mention he'll undoubtedly gain at least some weight.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll admit having seen more of him I'm not as disappointed. I'm still concerned about the health issue though. The greatest training staff in the world can't do jack if your bones just aren't capable of absorbing all the stress of jumping and running constantly without fracturing.

Not to mention he'll undoubtedly gain at least some weight.

Yeah that really is the elephant in the room now isn't it? If his bones are cracking now and he's bound to gain weight....

Still, he might be fun to watch for a few years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one here is going to persuade someone else that their opinion is wrong so i Guess ill just end my part of the discussion with something simple.

I didn't like the pick, but I hope to be proven wrong.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I admit that I was pretty pissed after they passed on Mclemore ...that I didn't care who they picked and shut off the TV right after the pick. Didn't care much for Noel as I happened to watch a bunch of the Kentucky games early on in the season when they were ranked pretty highly and was not impressed by Noel at all (he just looked skinny, clumsy offensively with no touch around the rim).

Anyways after taking a few days to cool off and looking at some of the tape on Len I'm now mildly intrigued to see how he develops. He looks to me to have more innate offensive ability than Noel and he freaking just turned 20. The Goodwin pick softened the sting of losing out on Mclemore as I remember thinking while watching those Kentucky games early on that he was the most exciting and talented player on the court.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one here is going to persuade someone else that their opinion is wrong so i Guess ill just end my part of the discussion with something simple.

I didn't like the pick, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Fair nuff

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake