Alex Len

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was clear that mgmt DID NOT WANT McLemore. Gambo says that if Len was gone, they would have taken Burke. I would be very interested to know what it was that turned them off so much on him. I would have been as upset as Cheese is now if they had taken Burke. Just because its another pg.

I am not sure about Noel. It was reported that the med staff red flagged him. Now some are saying they did not get to examine him--that may have been Noel's doing, thinking there was no way he was slipping to 5. If the Suns declined on Noel because they could not clear him medically, that's running a pretty conservative ship. I am ok with that I guess, but it does mean that Noel might end up being a pretty good player.

He does have that long skinny athletic body type that many others have had like Stromile Swift and Anthony Randolf. There have been some players that have really succeeded with that body type, but they had good shooting skills (Durant).

The reason that we are having these arguments is because this draft is so poor.

Last edited:

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
agree about Burke...good college player...but his size is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome in the NBA

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
oh hmm I thought he was under 6ft for some reason (maybe just seemed shorter than everyone else on the court every time I saw him play) ...oh well maybe not such a huge hurdle then =)

Reaction score
oh hmm I thought he was under 6ft for some reason (maybe just seemed shorter than everyone else on the court every time I saw him play) ...oh well maybe not such a huge hurdle then =)

Burke also has a 6-5 wingspan as well and his standing reach was the same as Kendall Marshall's who's what 6-4? His size isn't the issue. I do think he'll have to bulk up a little and change his game a little because I don't think he's ultra quick like most of the smaller guards.

The issue is is he athletic enough? Manly Quick enough? When comparing him to guys like Kemba Walker or Try Lawson there extremely Quick and easily get open for shots or get in the paint to make plays so if Burke is indeed quick enough he has more upside than Both Lawson and Walker who are pretty good players in there own right.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Size for a point guard is often an issue, it remains to be seen whether it will be for Burke. The wingspan will help but vision could be a problem. He's not slow but he's not as fast as the other guards that have excelled despite their height. So, while I'm not sure he'll fail in the NBA, I'm glad we're not the team that took that gamble.

Steve

Reaction score
It was clear that mgmt DID NOT WANT McLemore. Gambo says that if Len was gone, they would have taken Burke. I would be very interested to know what it was that turned them off so much on him. I would have been as upset at Cheese is now if they had taken Burke. Just because its another pg.

I am not sure about Noel. It was reported that the med staff red flagged him. Now some are saying they did not get to examine him--that may have been Noel's doing, thinking there was no way he was slipping to 5. If the Suns declined on Noel because they could not clear him medically, that's running a pretty conservative ship. I am ok with that I guess, but it does mean that Noel might end up being a pretty good player.

He does have that long skinny athletic body type that many others have had like Stromile Swift and Anthony Randolf. There have been some players that have really succeeded with that body type, but they had good shooting skills (Durant).

The reason that we are having these arguments is because this draft is so poor.

Didn't Noel decline a visit (as well as porter)with us because he though he was a lock to go in the top 3.

If that's the case I believe that really hurt him had he came in and impressed he could of very well gone to us he like Oldipo has a great motor and work ethic. I think he has all star upside but is a completely different player from Alex Len I see Len as a more athletic Marc Gasol and Nerlens Noel a Better version of Tyson Chandler( think he has a much better feel and softer touch than Chandler did I basicly see him being Chandler with a better offensive game) both were good prospect. I just think him being out half the year as well with the way next year's draft is looking it couldn't have been an easy choice for MCD and the declined visit likely did him in.

Reaction score
Size for a point guard is often an issue, it remains to be seen whether it will be for Burke. The wingspan will help but vision could be a problem. He's not slow but he's not as fast as the other guards that have excelled despite their height. So, while I'm not sure he'll fail in the NBA, I'm glad we're not the team that took that gamble.

Steve

Well look at it this way Offensively he in a lot of ways is like Nash not an explosive athlete more of a crafty ball handler that can shoot it. But at the same time Nash is a two time MVP and a HOFer and Nash has always been regarded as not just a great shooter but one of the best all time. Difference is can Burke's game translate to the NBA I doubt he'll be the shooter Nash is.

The one thing I'll say about Burke is he was a great and I mean great Pick and Roll player in college so he should understand that part of the game and he's going to be a heavy pick and roll guy seeing how he may not be able to always create his own shot. But at the same time he'll have to have a good pick and roll players as they'd just trap him.

Some have compared him to Kevin Johnson? I never really got to watch Kevin Johnson so I don't know how he compares maybe some of you do? I'm thinking a playmaking version of Moe Williams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well look at it this way Offensively he in a lot of ways is like Nash not an explosive athlete more of a crafty ball handler that can shoot it. But at the same time Nash is a two time MVP and a HOFer and Nash has always been regarded as not just a great shooter but one of the best all time. Difference is can Burke's game translate to the NBA I doubt he'll be the shooter Nash is.

The one thing I'll say about Burke is he was a great and I mean great Pick and Roll player in college so he should understand that part of the game and he's going to be a heavy pick and roll guy seeing how he may not be able to always create his own shot. But at the same time he'll have to have a good pick and roll players as they'd just trap him.

Some have compared him to Kevin Johnson? I never really got to watch Kevin Johnson so I don't know how he compares maybe some of you do? I'm thinking a playmaking version of Moe Williams.

I don't see the KJ comparison at all. He was a super athlete, lightning quick. Parker-esque but with sick hops. The guy dunked on Mark Eaton, Hot Rod Williams (when he could still move) and Hakeem...amongst others.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KJ is my favorite Sun of all time...I still have my KJ Converses in a closet somewhere. Devastating first step, could get into the lane at will. If he hadn't had all those injuries he would've been in the discussion of best all time PG's IMO...Anyways back on topic Trey Burke is no Kevin Johnson

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
KJ is my favorite Sun of all time...I still have my KJ Converses in a closet somewhere. Devastating first step, could get into the lane at will. If he hadn't had all those injuries he would've been in the discussion of best all time PG's IMO...Anyways back on topic Trey Burke is no Kevin Johnson

Exactly. Burke isn't half the athlete KJ was.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD said on an interview with Gambo that he has scouted Len personally for years, including at least 15 games attended in person.

When Gambo asked him specifically about his inconsistent production at Maryland his answer was that a big man cannot pass the ball to himself. He would get himself in position, pin his man under the basket and the ball would not come, or would come AFTER the double team or when the shot clock was about to expire.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Does anybody else see similarities between Len and Dirk? His moves around the basket remind me a lot of Dirk especially that up and under move he likes to use. His fade away looks like Dirk too.

Hopefully he's a better defender and he'll never have Dirk's shot but...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, the player he reminds me of is Duncan. He is not, and never will be as good as Duncan, but his way of moving is reminiscent.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Comparing KJ & Burke is an insult to KJ.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does anybody else see similarities between Len and Dirk? His moves around the basket remind me a lot of Dirk especially that up and under move he likes to use. His fade away looks like Dirk too.

That was the one comparison that crossed my mind, but didn't want to mention because I wasn't sure if it was valid.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah he reminded me of Dirk as well...I even thought it at the time. Real smooth looking with some agility.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Len was the BPA at #5 and PHX did the right thing taking him over Noel and McLemore who both dropped with good reason.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing I don't like about Len is that he tries to use the backboard too much and he sucks at it. The ugliest shots I have ever seen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I went back and watched a lot of college footage of Robin Lopez, and Brook too. Robin was a shotblocking beast in college. He was very active and looked very mobile. I know it was highlight stuff, but even then, the activity and agility was clear. Brook went 10th in that draft and Robin 15th. Wow, this was a bad draft.

I don't know what happened to Robin, by the time he finished with the Suns he looked slow and stiff. It must have been the back injury.

In Cheese's defense, the comparison is not that far out of line.

Interesting to read this now.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robin-Lopez-1073/

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns fan community has simply turned awful.

The boards are filled with irrational haters, can't argue objectively, can't argue at all.

They will just find players and turn them into scapegoats and continue hating on them at every little chance they get see Lopez, Brooks, Beasley, Marshall, Brown etc. phrazbits annoying hating on Beasley is the best example, he makes it personal pretty much instead of rooting for Phoenix Suns players to develop he just point blank hates on whoever does not suit him.

Or they will irrationally love players.

Lopez never was as bad as the idiots on here claimed at every chance, by ever objective measure he was just as productive and even more efficient than Gortat on a per minute basis and last year he had a better year than Marcin.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My problem with Lopez was simply the fact that he managed to turn himself into a 6'1 guard every time he was in the low post. I have never seen a player make himself smaller in the low post. His mobility was terrible the season after his surgery. Gortat is still a superior player, but I'd take Lopez at $5M per year over Gortat at $12M or even $10M per year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't. I think having nothing (cap space) is better than having Lopez. I can't stand watching another year of Lopez playing volleyball when trying to get a rebound.

No player has frustrated me more in the past 6 years than Lopez has. God gave him that size, the athleticism and mobility and yet he's wasting it all. I wish someone more deserving got those genes.

So glad we got rid of him...and got a first round pick in the process.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake