Another reason why Gortat needs to start

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the faith brother, that's cool, but we are in the now amigo. The debate basically comes down to "Should the best center start?" Folks that want Gortat to start seem to be relaxed, and happy we finally have a quality NBA respectable big man.

Some of the Lopez lovers are getting upset
, (not you JCS) when Lopez could obviously use more time to grow into his own. He could learn a lot from Gortat, what I really like is how Lopez is usually the first one off the bench celebrating when Gortat does something cool, now that shows class. Lopez can be a stud in the future, who knows.

Like I said before, I aint wirried about it. Gortat will start soon enough. :)

Get somebody you trust to read through the last month's posting and I GUARANTEE you that an impartial person will hold a much different opinion.

And, we're not upset that you guys think Gortat should start. Many of us that seem to be on the other side agree with you, Gortat probably should start. Most of us, IMO, are upset that you few keep turning every single conversation into a "Gortat should start" campaign. If you guys had given it a rest a few hundred posts ago, much of the current frustration would have never come to the fore.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Get somebody you trust to read through the last month's posting and I GUARANTEE you that an impartial person will hold a much different opinion.

And, we're not upset that you guys think Gortat should start. Many of us that seem to be on the other side agree with you, Gortat probably should start. Most of us, IMO, are upset that you few keep turning every single conversation into a "Gortat should start" campaign. If you guys had given it a rest a few hundred posts ago, much of the current frustration would have never come to the fore.

Steve
I like Gortat, I like to post about the guy, I think it's awesome we have a center, but it's all good, if it bothers you that much I won't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Gortat, I like to post about the guy, I think it's awesome we have a center, but it's all good, if it bothers you that much I won't.

I like Gortat, I like to read about the guy, I think it's awesome we have a center, but it's all good, if it bothers you to not obsess over him starting then by all means continue obsessing.;)

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Gortat, I like to read about the guy, I think it's awesome we have a center, but it's all good, if it bothers you to not obsess over him starting then by all means continue obsessing.;)

Steve
Who's this Gortat character you speak of? :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Who's this Gortat character you speak of? :p
He's the player with the second most NBA double-doubles off the bench this season. 'Deserves a promotion, wouldn't you say?

I agree with Steve. Let's keep obsessing. :rolleyes:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's the player with the second most NBA double-doubles off the bench this season. 'Deserves a promotion, wouldn't you say?

I agree with Steve. Let's keep obsessing. :rolleyes:

You mean that bald guy? I like scoring, defense, and rebounding but I can't do the Gortat love anymore. I am a people pleaser, or at least I try to be. I like the idea of starting Gortat but... but.. he wasn't here when we drafted Lopez. Lopez isn't as good, but that's no reason not to start him. His brother was really good for a minute, and Robin might be as good as his brother some day.

Gentry is really good when not having the same players that D'Atoni left, and he knows when to take out Lopez and Gortat at the same time so we can win the game. I don't like it when people mess with my Suns but I hate Carter, and wish E-doh! was still here.

This Gortat guy looks ok but what if Robin Lopez quits hanging out at Richard Dumas's house and lays off the crack pipe. He could be the next Kareem.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean that bald guy? I like scoring, defense, and rebounding but I can't do the Gortat love anymore. I am a people pleaser, or at least I try to be. I like the idea of starting Gortat but... but.. he wasn't here when we drafted Lopez. Lopez isn't as good, but that's no reason not to start him. His brother was really good for a minute, and Robin might be as good as his brother some day.

Gentry is really good when not having the same players that D'Atoni left, and he knows when to take out Lopez and Gortat at the same time so we can win the game. I don't like it when people mess with my Suns but I hate Carter, and wish E-doh! was still here.

This Gortat guy looks ok but what if Robin Lopez quits hanging out at Richard Dumas's house and lays off the crack pipe. He could be the next Kareem.

Wow. Although I figure you've had one too many, you're clearly a lot more of a Robin Lopez fan than I am. Personally, I wouldn't let him start on my local park team. But, each to their own.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow. Although I figure you've had one too many, you're clearly a lot more of a Robin Lopez fan than I am. Personally, I wouldn't let him start on my local park team. But, each to their own.

Steve
Come on, that was funny! I worked hard on that. :D Dumas reference should be worth 5 pts alone

Gwindor

Rookie
Reaction score
I find it ironic how someone can call someone "the anchor of a team" who is the 2nd worst in net +/- by a huge margin at -15 !!!

I guess I should be rooting for Gortat to be an anchor for our team because that would probably mean we have hit rock bottom and can look at potential top 5 picks.

Last game -> Gortat was far BEST in your beloved +/- stat, while having +18 (next was Dudley with +9). Just sayin'.

BTW... i'm concerned if playing against Gortat during practise have any influence on Frye post game coz he really improved this part of his game lately..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last game -> Gortat was far BEST in your beloved +/- stat, while having +18 (next was Dudley with +9). Just sayin'.

BTW... i'm concerned if playing against Gortat during practise have any influence on Frye post game coz he really improved this part of his game lately..

Good point. I think Gortat's physical play improves everyone around him. However, Frye has steadily been improving although Gortat may have helped him along. :)

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Good point. I think Gortat's physical play improves everyone around him. However, Frye has steadily been improving although Gortat may have helped him along. :)
That, plus one other factor. Gortat's presence moved Frye to PF, with the exception of a few brief minutes at Center here and there.

Channing Frye is simply not an NBA Center and now he doesn't have to try to be. That's a pretty good confidence builder for a guy who is expected to play to his size.

Now let's see him contribute at the other power position, even when his "3" isn't falling. Defense, rebounding, blocking, driving, back-to-the-basket, etc.

Not every other game or every third game. All game, every game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That, plus one other factor. Gortat's presence moved Frye to PF, with the exception of a few brief minutes at Center here and there.

Channing Frye is simply not an NBA Center and now he doesn't have to try to be. That's a pretty good confidence builder for a guy who is expected to play to his size.

Now let's see him contribute at the other power position, even when his "3" isn't falling. Defense, rebounding, blocking, driving, back-to-the-basket, etc.

Not every other game or every third game. All game, every game.

I'm glad Frye has learned he can be effective even when his his 3 point shot is not falling. I credit Gentry a lot in regard to his development in expanding his game. Sometimes I'm amazed when I remember the Frye that arrived in Phoenix and the Frye the Suns have now. True, Gortat allows him to play PF where he is now effective.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
True, Gortat allows him to play PF where he is now effective.
With all this talk about moving Lopez, I just hope that the Suns provide a legitimate Center backup and not move Frye back to significant minutes at Center.

The history says they would. It would un-do the development Channing has been experiencing.

He is still a project who needs to work at it to be a valuable Power Forward.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As a follow-up to my post just before this one, tonight vs. the Raptors, Tom Leander announced how Gortat's presence has helped, not only our Center position (with his own rebounding, defense and double-doubles), but the improvement of Frye (since moving to PF); Lopez (as much blood as you can get out of that turnip); and Warrick (rebounding and improved defense). (The comments in parentheses are mine.)

One player -- improvement at the four Power positions (two starters, two off the bench). That's quite an accomplishment!

Not to mention, his candid comments about how he expected us to start playing defense . . and we did. That doesn't show in the box score, but it has sure shown in our W-L record as of late.

Is it too much to say that, following Steve Nash, Marcin Gortat is our 2011 Most Valuable Player from among the four other positions?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Barbosa for Turk , Turk for Gortat. Thank you Blur!!!! Gortat is a beast, there is no question about that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up to my post just before this one, tonight vs. the Raptors, Tom Leander announced how Gortat's presence has helped, not only our Center position (with his own rebounding, defense and double-doubles), but the improvement of Frye (since moving to PF); Lopez (as much blood as you can get out of that turnip); and Warrick (rebounding and improved defense). (The comments in parentheses are mine.)

One player -- improvement at the four Power positions (two starters, two off the bench). That's quite an accomplishment!

Not to mention, his candid comments about how he expected us to start playing defense . . and we did. That doesn't show in the box score, but it has sure shown in our W-L record as of late.

Is it too much to say that, following Steve Nash, Marcin Gortat is our 2011 Most Valuable Player from among the four other positions?

I think it's a little unfair to credit all the improvement to Gortat. Frye was certainly showing improvement long before Marcin came to town and Warrick although inconsistent has shown flashes of brilliance all season long. Gortat has definitely helped shore up the power positions but IMO the absence of Hedo has also been a plus.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frye's defense has improved a lot. But his rebounding needs to be more consistent.

I like the progress I'm seeing in him.

Also he doesn't shoot as many 3s recently. He actually posts up now when a smaller player is guarding him.

I still don't think he is a good enough PF for us to make a run to (in) the playoffs. But we'll see.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a little unfair to credit all the improvement to Gortat. Frye was certainly showing improvement long before Marcin came to town and Warrick although inconsistent has shown flashes of brilliance all season long. Gortat has definitely helped shore up the power positions but IMO the absence of Hedo has also been a plus.

Steve

Frye had flashes but by it's no coindicence the team started looking different in the front court after thet trade. The other thing that can't be overlooked is that they said Frye and Gortat have been going at each other in practice. Sounds like Frye is benefiting from that in practice as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frye had flashes but by it's no coindicence the team started looking different in the front court after thet trade. The other thing that can't be overlooked is that they said Frye and Gortat have been going at each other in practice. Sounds like Frye is benefiting from that in practice as well.

I don't discount that at all. Gortat, despite having practiced against Howard, is also probably benefitting from playing regularly against a big with a different style although probably to a lesser degree. I think much of Gortat's improvement is simply a function of court time and confidence. And, as I mentioned earlier, losing Hedo probably helps quite a bit too.

I keep pointing to Hedo because I know that I really didn't enjoy watching this team a couple of months ago even when they won. They just weren't fun to watch, IMO. Now though, this team is very entertaining. I think you can see the players feel it also and they all seem to be more supportive as a result. We've gone from zero/bad chemistry to pretty good chemistry overnight and I think the improvement is equal parts the presence of Gortat and the absence of Hedo.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I no longer think that Robin Lopez should come off the bench

That's right. I no longer think that Robin Lopez should come off the bench.
I think he should stay on the bench. From start to finish.

Except for the few rebounds that come his way

He might as well be rebounding in traffic with a ping pong paddle.

I am so sick of watching him put one hand up and seeing the ball
bounce off his flat palm.

Robin Lopez is a spacehead.

A tandem of Gortat/Siler at Center would be an improvement.