Archie Goodwin...best pick in the draft?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because Dragic is a proven vet? Ugh. This is a recipe for a lot of bad basketball.

Isn't Dragic a proven vet? I don't get it, were you being sarcastic or truthful?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Dragic a proven vet? I don't get it, were you being sarcastic or truthful?

In the strictest sense of the word, Dragic is a proven vet. He's also a good guy in the locker room and off the court. What he's not is a team leader or someone who's ready to take a rookie under his wing and show him how it's done. Dragic needs the ball in his hands, and he's still not very good making others around him better. He's more likely to make Goodwin disappear than he is to help him.

Make more sense?

I suppose I'm not a huge Dragic fan. I think a lot of Suns fans are just because he's decent enough on a team full of guys who aren't that good.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In the strictest sense of the word, Dragic is a proven vet. He's also a good guy in the locker room and off the court. What he's not is a team leader or someone who's ready to take a rookie under his wing and show him how it's done. Dragic needs the ball in his hands, and he's still not very good making others around him better. He's more likely to make Goodwin disappear than he is to help him.

Make more sense?

I suppose I'm not a huge Dragic fan. I think a lot of Suns fans are just because he's decent enough on a team full of guys who aren't that good.

I don't see how you can tell that Dragic can't show a rookie how its done...

Dragic is one of the more hardworking players in this league. When he came in to the NBA, he was arguably the worst PG in the league. I remember a lot of Suns fans called him Tragic instead of Dragic because of how bad he was. I remember once thinking "Wow if this guy can make it to the NBA, why can't I"...

And then it all changed with Gentry taking Dragic under his wing and teaching him the ropes and giving him the tips and tricks to become a good PG in this league. And now 2 years later, Goran had a pretty good season for the otherwise disastrous season for the Phoenix Suns. He averaged 16 and 9 in his first year as starting PG for the Suns. He came to a team that had a completely different roster than it was when he was here.

He got bounced around from the Suns to the Rockets, worked hard at his game and is now one of the better PGs in this league. Sure he's not gonna lead us anywhere but he still a good player...not a star but a good player.

I definitely think that Dragic can teach what he learned from Gentry and from Houston and give a few pointers to Goodwin AND Bledsoe to help with their games. Dragic loves penetrating and Goodwin has excellent speed and quickness to become a cutter and get to the FT line. Or Dragic can run a fast break with Goodwin since Goodwin has the ability and athleticism for that. Especially since Hornacek wants to run an uptempo run n gun style offense, Goodwin will have his opportunities barring them stashing Goodwin in D-League, Earl Clark style.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you can tell that Dragic can't show a rookie how its done...

Dragic is one of the more hardworking players in this league. When he came in to the NBA, he was arguably the worst PG in the league. I remember a lot of Suns fans called him Tragic instead of Dragic because of how bad he was. I remember once thinking "Wow if this guy can make it to the NBA, why can't I"...

And then it all changed with Gentry taking Dragic under his wing and teaching him the ropes and giving him the tips and tricks to become a good PG in this league. And now 2 years later, Goran had a pretty good season for the otherwise disastrous season for the Phoenix Suns. He averaged 16 and 9 in his first year as starting PG for the Suns. He came to a team that had a completely different roster than it was when he was here.

He got bounced around from the Suns to the Rockets, worked hard at his game and is now one of the better PGs in this league. Sure he's not gonna lead us anywhere but he still a good player...not a star but a good player.

I definitely think that Dragic can teach what he learned from Gentry and from Houston and give a few pointers to Goodwin AND Bledsoe to help with their games. Dragic loves penetrating and Goodwin has excellent speed and quickness to become a cutter and get to the FT line. Or Dragic can run a fast break with Goodwin since Goodwin has the ability and athleticism for that. Especially since Hornacek wants to run an uptempo run n gun style offense, Goodwin will have his opportunities barring them stashing Goodwin in D-League, Earl Clark style.

16 and 9? Try 15 and 7 if we're rounding the decimal. To be clear, it was Dan Dan that tutored Dragic, not Gentry, that helped him explode in his first big playoff run with the Suns. It's what inspired the Rockets to sign him. He hasn't changed all that much since then.

I'm just being as objective as possible. I can't afford to operate on hope, not after 38 years of being a Suns fan. Dragic is just OK. He doesn't have a high basketball IQ. He's a hard worker? Excellent. He put up decent stats last year as the primary ballhandler on an awful team? Way to go.

Pardon if I'm not thrilled if our PG, who shot 44 percent from the field (which is also his career average in 5 seasons) and is an average defender (statistically), is the guy who's going to be the peer leader for another young player. Dragic still has a lot of work to do himself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16 and 9? Try 15 and 7 if we're rounding the decimal. To be clear, it was Dan Dan that tutored Dragic, not Gentry, that helped him explode in his first big playoff run with the Suns. It's what inspired the Rockets to sign him. He hasn't changed all that much since then.

I'm just being as objective as possible. I can't afford to operate on hope, not after 38 years of being a Suns fan. Dragic is just OK. He doesn't have a high basketball IQ. He's a hard worker? Excellent. He put up decent stats last year as the primary ballhandler on an awful team? Way to go.

Pardon if I'm not thrilled if our PG, who shot 44 percent from the field (which is also his career average in 5 seasons) and is an average defender (statistically), is the guy who's going to be the peer leader for another young player. Dragic still has a lot of work to do himself.

After almost fourty-five years of being a Suns fan, I can't afford NOT to operate on hope. First off, it's been a great ride. I know that to many fans, no championship means no satisfaction but that's not the case for me. I'm thankful for all the great moments this franchise has brought my way and I'm hopeful every time they take the court. If I wasn't hopeful, I'd have given up by now.

Steve

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm not saying Dragic is great. But he's still a top 15 PG in this league.

If a good deal comes around, I wouldn't mind at all if Dragic got traded. I actually think we should cash in on him next season if the Bledsoe-Dragic back court doesn't work.

I'm not one to overrate Goran. Some think he's a borderline all star and I don't think he's that or even close. He was the best player on an awful team. On a title team he's probably the 4th or 5th option while 3rd on a good playoff team.

But you are making him out to be a scrub which he definitely isn't. And yes, having him teach the things that he's learned back when he was terrible in his first few years of the league isn't a bad idea.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To be clear, it was Dan Dan that tutored Dragic, not Gentry, that helped him explode in his first big playoff run with the Suns.

By the time Dragic got to the NBA Dan D'Antoni was an assistant in New York. You're probably thinking of Barbosa.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the time Dragic got to the NBA Dan D'Antoni was an assistant in New York. You're probably thinking of Barbosa.

You're right. I am. They're almost the same player to me. Barbragic.

KJBuckets

Reaction score
I'm not saying Dragic is great. But he's still a top 15 PG in this league.

If a good deal comes around, I wouldn't mind at all if Dragic got traded. I actually think we should cash in on him next season if the Bledsoe-Dragic back court doesn't work.

I'm not one to overrate Goran. Some think he's a borderline all star and I don't think he's that or even close. He was the best player on an awful team. On a title team he's probably the 4th or 5th option while 3rd on a good playoff team.

But you are making him out to be a scrub which he definitely isn't. And yes, having him teach the things that he's learned back when he was terrible in his first few years of the league isn't a bad idea.

Dragic makes for a good starting point guard given his play in the last two years. He'd make a great 6th man on any team. I'd hold onto him...in this league you don't need a top 5 point guard to win, you need a tandem which works together (Durant & Westbrook / Lebron & Wade / Parker & Ginobli, Tim D / Rondo & Co). Dragic completes a fundamental piece in need of a companion, he only needs a better SG or perhaps even the right PG Combo guy as his partner. I see his game similar to that of Ginobli -- had the suns had him on their roster when he was younger. The difference is that the Suns have tailored Dragic to become more of a sole ball-handler looking to pick and prod the defense. I don't see this as sustainable; there's only one Nash. Dragic doesn't need to have the ball in his hands as often -- even he's requesting a secondary ball-handler AND who knows if Bledsoe fits that role. I'm hoping for Wiggins or Parker next draft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its been reported that Goodwin play SG and Marshall will play PG for the Suns SL team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

If you look at the 28 games he started in 2011 with the Rockets he averaged 18 and 8 on 48% shooting. Now I know it is a small sample size when compared to all of last season, but I feel like he can get close to those numbers again if the suns get some shooters around him. Last year the Suns were terrible at spreading the floor and thus couldn't make teams pay for crowding the paint.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Its been reported that Goodwin play SG and Marshall will play PG for the Suns SL team.

Good. This should mean that he will see alot of minutes throughout SL. Was afraid initially that he would lose some minutes to Marshall and Garrett.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

The other board in town is going Nutso on the thought of Bledsoe being announced as our PG and Goran the SG for the regular season. They think that Goran is the better PG. Reportedly Horny recently announced that was his plan.

My opinion is that they are our best two back court players and both are capable of playing the point. I think is more about putting the best two players on the court for the most minutes possible than anything else. I like it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
on that "other board" someone also said that Goran we need a PG like Steve Nash or Trey Burke next to Goran.

Burke is struggling more than Marshall last year in summer league and has like nothing in common with Nash.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
on that "other board" someone also said that Goran we need a PG like Steve Nash or Trey Burke next to Goran.

Burke is struggling more than Marshall last year in summer league and has like nothing in common with Nash.

It will be interesting to see how the Goran - Bledsoe back court works out. I think it should be very good. I also think Brown will get a chance to earn a spot. He will not get a gift but a chance. I am more than OK with a plan like that. I am not on suicide watch because we kept Shannon the Cannon. It is not like we have any All Stars or Hall of Famers in his way. What free agent could we have signed for 1.75 Mil that would be better?

I was on the Burke drugs for awhile as well and still think he will turn out to be a good pick for Utah. I am OK with our picks and moves thus far. I am more than willing to give Ryan and Horny some elbow room.

The thing that really bugs about the other board is that most believe there should be a brass statue in front of US Airways Center for their favorites like Goran and Dudley. I like both of them but not married to either. They are above average, at best, NBA players. Get a life, move on.

Now some are suggesting that we should bring back Amundsen. Why?

That would be dumber than dumb, IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of Barbosa, he and Dragic paired very well together in 2010. I am not saying we bring back Barbs (thats an awful idea), but those 2010 results give hope for the Bledsoe, Dragic pairing.

Dragic is at his best attacking in transition and last year we had basically no one who also was good in transition. With Bledsoe he now has a premium running mate on the break.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In short.. Yes....(based on Goodwin improving upon his weaknesses and improving maturity and confidence, which is likely)

I want to buy his jersey... That's how much I like this pick.
You better get it now, its gonna be a lot more expensive in 2-3 years. :D

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Huh interesting...so perhaps no D-league or benchwarmer duties for Goodwin! :)
I would much prefer for him to get good minutes right out the gates. Not starter minutes necessarily, but something in the 20 MPG area seems like a good place to start. I just think the best way for him to improve will be for him to get some solid minutes against actual NBA competition.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would much prefer for him to get good minutes right out the gates. Not starter minutes necessarily, but something in the 20 MPG area seems like a good place to start. I just think the best way for him to improve will be for him to get some solid minutes against actual NBA competition.

Yep, and it'll be much more fun for us fans too.