Archie Goodwin...best pick in the draft?

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
I see a lot of Kobe in him in terms of aggressive style of play (no way in hell am I saying he'll be Kobe).

Yea, his style reminde me of Kobe during summer league. If Archie can develop his shot sooner than later, we're gonna have a superstar shooting guard.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every game I go into, I’m showing every team that didn’t pick me that they made a mistake.
That's a lot of games then. He's going to have to bring his A-game virtually every night. Well, except when the Suns play OKC or the Lakers.

I do look forward to seeing him play though, probably more so than any other new addition except for Bledsoe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am excited about Goodwin. I hope he remains aggressive and when the ball is in his hands I expect him to try and score. I don't want to turn him into a passive player who tries to make his teammates better. He has that chance to be special and special players makes special plays with the ball in their hands (see Bryant, Kobe). I see a lot of Kobe in him in terms of aggressive style of play (no way in hell am I saying he'll be Kobe). He's definitely the most exciting part of the 2013-2014 season.

I'll go ahead and say it... Kobe. ;)

Now is the time to think big before reality can take away our dreams.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If he can develop at least an average jumpshot and put on 20 pounds he's going to be really good.

He actually reminds me a lot of Bledsoe. Just taller and a lot less polished.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that kid's got A LOT of natural talent.

If he and Len can take any kind of step forward next year, this team is gonna make some noise.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

If he and Len can take any kind of step forward next year, this team is gonna make some noise.

And if they can just stay healthy all year they win 55 games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if they can just stay healthy all year they win 55 games.

all teams deal with injuries though. The Thunder lost Westbrook for 30 games and won 59 games. The Clippers didn't have Paul for 20 games and Reddick for 37 games and won 57 games. The Heat didn't have Wade for 28 games and won 55 games. The Spurs pretty much NEVER seem to have their starting lineup and won 62 games.

no NBA team really stays healthy all year, but if Archie and Len step up their games next year it gives us that much more depth to deal with injuries when they come. The problem this year was when Bledsoe went out, there just wasn't another playmaker out there on the court. Hopefully Archie is one of those guys next year and a big man who can actually play always creates opportunities for people around them.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Len still looks completely lost out there, I really really want him to start showing signs, but his basketball IQ is just awful.

Goodwin on the other hand...19 years old. It would have to be a pretty sweet deal for me to part with him at this point, I don't know really anyone from this last draft that I would want ahead of him, even a MCW.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Len still looks completely lost out there, I really really want him to start showing signs, but his basketball IQ is just awful.

Goodwin on the other hand...19 years old. It would have to be a pretty sweet deal for me to part with him at this point, I don't know really anyone from this last draft that I would want ahead of him, even a MCW.

Yeah, hopefully last night wasn't just a showcase for a potential trade.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's give him a full summer and NBA summer league and then reevaluate him. Big men take longer to mature. I've still got hope for him.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Let's give him a full summer and NBA summer league and then reevaluate him. Big men take longer to mature. I've still got hope for him.

For sure, not giving up on him - I just was hoping we'd see more flashes of competency.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure, not giving up on him - I just was hoping we'd see more flashes of competency.

i think it's likely that we won't see much of him until the season after next. He's SUPER raw and I feel like most big men that raw don't make much of a jump until their third year in the league

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll explode right away but more likely we'll end next season having seen nothing more than flashes of competency. I think he's a few years away, not just one.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like for all rookies, it's hard to play well when given inconsistent minutes.

When you know you will play a certain amount of minutes at a certain time (end of QTRs or whatever) it's much easier to get into rhythm.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen flashes from him (Len) this season but last night wasn't one of those games.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll explode right away but more likely we'll end next season having seen nothing more than flashes of competency. I think he's a few years away, not just one.

Perfect, right about when his rookie contract is done! :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perfect, right about when his rookie contract is done! :)

Doesnt it always seem that way with big men? Didn't Hibbert become a FA just as he was starting to show promise. Same thing happened with Gortat (when Dallas signed him as a RFA).