Archie Goodwin...best pick in the draft?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny how different players are evaluated. When everyone likes them their good days are standard and bad days are outliers. With other players it's just the opposite.

When you are 18 with one total year of ball beyond high school, the bad days are outliers. When you are 23 with five years of ball beyond high school, unsurprisingly the standards are higher.

Steve

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I love me some Archie Goodwin. Somoone brought up a Calipari quote that he was uncoachable when drafted and he seems to not be the most gregarious guy but damn that kid has length, can shoot, and gets to the cup and gets fouled AT WILL. I think we will look back and say he should have been a Top 5 pick.

Which is awesome as our actual Top 5 pick has busted wheels and I am still unsure of.

Only been 3 weeks but I like him more then Mclemore in terms of NBA skillsets and how it translates. Him and Bledsoe are the future backcourt and once its proven over the regular season I bet Dragic and Gortat are gone in a combo trade for a young forward under control and another 1st rounder!

And I love Dragic. But you cant teach the athleticism that Bledsoe and Goodwin bring to the table.

HOPEFULLY we add a Top 3 guy in next years loaded class (I am looking at Randle or Gordon assuming we dotn win the lottery and then our Suns could take off.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
HOPEFULLY we add a Top 3 guy in next years loaded class (I am looking at Randle or Gordon assuming we dotn win the lottery and then our Suns could take off.

ThRandle and Gordon are probably the two guys I want the least unless they measure at least 6'10 with a good wingspan/reach.

I think even best case those two will be offensive only players like Blake Griffin, Kevin Love. Undersized scoring PFs who do not protect the rim. Might put up nice stats but don't really help their teams winning much or might be the next Derrick Williams, Michael Beasley, Thomas Robinson..

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
What number will Archie wear? He had 10 in Kentucky. I hope Garrett is either gone or gives up the 10 to Archie. He's wearing 29 in summer league because, I guess he was picked 29th.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you are 18 with one total year of ball beyond high school, the bad days are outliers. When you are 23 with five years of ball beyond high school, unsurprisingly the standards are higher.

Steve

I am fine with the positive vibes for Archie, I just think we should be a little positive for the twins as well. 23 is still quite young, especially for a big man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am fine with the positive vibes for Archie, I just think we should be a little positive for the twins as well. 23 is still quite young, especially for a big man.

I agree and I am a little positive when I talk about them. I think they have the abiiity to play up to their draft slot, maybe even a little higher. I like the fact they have both come to summer league in great shape. I don't think they have a particularly high ceiling but I do believe their current level is higher than many give them credit for. I think they are already decent role players and could even become strong role players. I doubt that either will ever be a long term starter although I guess Marcus has an outside chance of making that happen.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the only reason that this board rates Marcus's potential as higher than Markieff's is that we've seen less of Marcus.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason that this board rates Marcus's potential as higher than Markieff's is that we've seen less of Marcus.

Maybe, but when I watched him play for the Rockets the thought passed through my head that the Suns may have selected the wrong brother.

At least now the Suns have both of them to choose from. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not for me. I think the problems Marcus will have playing against small forwards is slightly less than the problems Markieff will have squaring off against power forwards. Also, they both tend to drift to the 3 point line and I'd much rather that be my 3 shooting from out there than my 4.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think they are already decent role players and could even become strong role players. I doubt that either will ever be a long term starter although I guess Marcus has an outside chance of making that happen.

Yeah, I guess when I have a lottery pick, I want a guy that at least has a credible chance of being a starter on a decent NBA team. My main issue with drafting a guy (or in this case the Morri) is that even at the time, it seemed like their potential growth curve was pretty flat. Nothing I've seen so far has convinced me otherwise.

Both take the majority of their shots from the perimeter, are bad defenders and don't contribute much else. Getting 8-9-10 guys on a roster just isn't that exciting to me, those players are a dime a dozen. Like you, I see an outside chance of both MAYBE becoming a 6-7 guy off the bench. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far, my impression of them has been pretty accurate.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess when I have a lottery pick, I want a guy that at least has a credible chance of being a starter on a decent NBA team. My main issue with drafting a guy (or in this case the Morri) is that even at the time, it seemed like their potential growth curve was pretty flat. Nothing I've seen so far has convinced me otherwise.

Both take the majority of their shots from the perimeter, are bad defenders and don't contribute much else. Getting 8-9-10 guys on a roster just isn't that exciting to me, those players are a dime a dozen. Like you, I see an outside chance of both MAYBE becoming a 6-7 guy off the bench. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far, my impression of them has been pretty accurate.

I was neutral about our draft pick at the time unlike the Marshall selection which I hated. I just hadn't watched all that much of them so I had no idea what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at first because he seemed to do all the little things. That pleasant surprise didn't last long, it died right after he decided he was an outside shooter. On the plus side of this is the fact he really has looked better this summer. I think the shooting stats might be flukey but he's clearly in the best shape we've seen from him and is playing very physically. Now we just have to see if he will continue to bang when the season starts.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not wild about either Morris, but I certainly feel Markieff is more useful than Marcus. As near as I can tell Marcus can only do one thing, catch and shoot from the outside... and he is not particularly great at that. I've seen Markieff do multiple things well, he plays a lot bigger than Marcus, he is just wildly inconsistent.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
There was a time I still hoped that Keef would play more on the inside, but that didn't happen. Could have been nice to have an inside presence that could rebound and mix it up.

With Duds and Wesley Johnson last year, I could not see why we would need the other twin, but I guess it's nice to have both in a pair.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With Duds and Wesley Johnson last year, I could not see why we would need the other twin, but I guess it's nice to have both in a pair.
They thought it would have brought out the best in both of them to have each other on the same team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, @A1Laflare10 has 16 points at halftime of this NBA Summer League championship. I must have been holding him back.

One way or the other, Calipari will always find a way to make it about him. What an ego. He couldn't just say congrats to Archie for a great first half?

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They thought it would have brought out the best in both of them to have each other on the same team.

Maybe the Suns hope they will get a bundle discount as well. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One way or the other, Calipari will always find a way to make it about him. What an ego. He couldn't just say congrats to Archie for a great first half?

Steve

He is a real douche. Can't wait for the inevitable scandal that ruins his Kentucky legacy the same way it did at UMASS and Memphis.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns Rookie Archie Goodwin Wins MVP of Rookie Transition Program

You must be registered for see images
Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

The NBA mandates a Rookie Transition Program for all the newcomers in the latest draft class to attend. This program was created in 1986 and is the longest running and most extensive support system in professional sports. It provides an assortment of educational and developmental programs. Each September, every rookie takes part in the six-day seminar that gives them an idea of what being a professional athlete will be like as they transition into their new jobs.

The NBA has named Phoenix Suns draft pick Archie Goodwin as their MVP of the event. While this award has nothing to do with his basketball abilities, it echoes the character and maturity of one of the youngest players in this year’s rookie class. Fellow rookie and Minnesota Timberwolves 1st round pick, Shabazz Muahmmad was reportedly expelled from the same program. Muhammad was caught with an unauthorized female visitor in his hotel room. He will be fined and be required to retake the course with the 2014 NBA Draft Class. Unlike Muhammad, Goodwin excelled with the program and acted like a professional.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/...oodwin-wins-mvp-of-rookie-transition-program/

Love it. This kid is like the anti Beasley.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Archie Goodwin Plans on Giving ‘Hell’ to Teams That Passed on Him | SLAM

After a so-so freshman season on an underachieving University of Kentucky team ended with him sliding to No. 29 in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns guard Archie Goodwin has a simple message for the League:

“It would have been great to have been drafted where I thought I should have been,” Goodwin told SLAM during last week’s Panini photo shoot portion of the Rookie Transition Program. “Now every team that didn’t pick me, I’ve got to give them hell.”

At only 18 years of age, Goodwin was not only the youngest player selected in this past June’s Draft but also, admittedly, one of the rawest. If Summer League in Las Vegas, where he averaged 13.1 ppg and 3.3 rpg, was an indicator, the native of Little Rock, AR, is on the way to shushing his detractors and backing up his bold words.

“The experience of playing with guys that had been [at Summer League] before really helped me,” said Goodwin. “I did pretty good. I did better than people thought I would do.”

Part of that had to do with what looked to be, forgive the small sample size, a revamped jump shot.

Best known as an elite athlete, in 33 games at Kentucky last season Goodwin shot 44 percent from the field and only hit 17 threes (27 percent). This past July, however, in seven Summer League games he accumulated 8 threes on 57 percent shooting.

“I’ve been working a lot on my shot, just getting it more consistent,” said Goodwin. “I just needed to be able to showcase my skills and showcase what I’ve been working on.”

With a strong summer behind him and a verbal promise from Coach Jeff Hornacek that he’s going to play right away on a rebuilding Suns team, Goodwin is poised to show his fellow rookies and the rest of the League that it’s not about where you start, but rather where you finish.

“I know a lot of guys in this [Draft] class are not better than me,” said Goodwin. “I’m blessed to even be here, but to see how far I slid down—it was a surprise. Every game I go into, I’m showing every team that didn’t pick me that they made a mistake.”

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Awesome articles.

Definitely the anti-Beasley.

Hopefully this is another pick that makes McDonough look like a genius.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I remember two or three of you guys mentioning that he was being overlooked amidst all the hype for other guards and we should grab him at 30 if he was still available. I remember someone saying he might be the best 2 in the draft and thinking no way was a guy from Kentucky going to be so lightly regarded if he was anywhere near that good. Maybe Wiggins will slip to us next year if he doesn't quite live up to expectations!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I am excited about Goodwin. I hope he remains aggressive and when the ball is in his hands I expect him to try and score. I don't want to turn him into a passive player who tries to make his teammates better. He has that chance to be special and special players makes special plays with the ball in their hands (see Bryant, Kobe). I see a lot of Kobe in him in terms of aggressive style of play (no way in hell am I saying he'll be Kobe). He's definitely the most exciting part of the 2013-2014 season.