Archie Goodwin...best pick in the draft?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yep, and it'll be much more fun for us fans too.
Hell yeah, last year all we had to watch for entertainment was Dragic. This year we have Dragic, Bledsoe, Goodwin and Len if he gets/stays healthy. That is a huge difference in just 1 off-season.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would much prefer for him to get good minutes right out the gates. Not starter minutes necessarily, but something in the 20 MPG area seems like a good place to start. I just think the best way for him to improve will be for him to get some solid minutes against actual NBA competition.

I agree completely. Give Goodwin 15-20 mins as the primary backup SG while Garrett or Marshall runs PG.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah, last year all we had to watch for entertainment was Dragic. This year we have Dragic, Bledsoe, Goodwin and Len if he gets/stays healthy. That is a huge difference in just 1 off-season.

That was a bad team last year but I think you're selling Tucker short, he was a lot of fun to watch.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am still not sure why we signed Brown.

I just don't see a role for him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
As far as Goodwin goes, I hope he gets plenty of minutes. He's not ready, but this team has the luxury of playing people who are not quite ready. Develop youngsters, and if it costs you an extra game or two- great.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As far as Goodwin goes, I hope he gets plenty of minutes. He's not ready, but this team has the luxury of playing people who are not quite ready. Develop youngsters, and if it costs you an extra game or two- great.
Yup. No need to send him to the D-League yet.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"He was good today. He walked on that last one. I don't know how they didn't call that. It was nasty but he took off from the three-point line with one dribble. I could call that one from the bench! It was nasty though. He played good. I liked it." - PJ Tucker

You must be registered for see images attach

I have honestly seen worse than that during the regular season and playoffs and not get called. Plus I don't even think he actually traveled. He took two steps on a drive to the rim, I thought that was legal.

He has pretty long strides and is super quick so perhaps it looked to Tucker like a walk....

Errntknght

Reaction score
Never a travel in my book - only two steps after he caught the ball. (BTW, it was a bounce pass - he didn't dribble at all.) On the other hand they could have called the guy that bumped the defender trailing the play.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a travel. It'd take PJ five steps to travel that distance thus his confusion.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the Goran - Bledsoe back court works out. I think it should be very good. I also think Brown will get a chance to earn a spot. He will not get a gift but a chance. I am more than OK with a plan like that. I am not on suicide watch because we kept Shannon the Cannon. It is not like we have any All Stars or Hall of Famers in his way. What free agent could we have signed for 1.75 Mil that would be better?

I was on the Burke drugs for awhile as well and still think he will turn out to be a good pick for Utah. I am OK with our picks and moves thus far. I am more than willing to give Ryan and Horny some elbow room.

The thing that really bugs about the other board is that most believe there should be a brass statue in front of US Airways Center for their favorites like Goran and Dudley. I like both of them but not married to either. They are above average, at best, NBA players. Get a life, move on.

Now some are suggesting that we should bring back Amundsen. Why?

That would be dumber than dumb, IMO.

What's the other board? It sounds like you're talking about .net but if you are you're taking the opinion of like thre people and applying it to the entire board.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
David Thorpe:
Someone needs to explain to me how Archie Goodwin of Phoenix dropped so far in the draft. How can someone that young, that quick, that long, and that energetic fall that far? GMs will have some explaining to do, as will lots of scouts.

Goodwin interview:

http://youtu.be/lFZ7WSsb5ts

Errntknght

Reaction score
David Thorpe:
Someone needs to explain to me how Archie Goodwin of Phoenix dropped so far in the draft. How can someone that young, that quick, that long, and that energetic fall that far? GMs will have some explaining to do, as will lots of scouts.

Right after the draft someone talked about that and said the reason was that the expectations were so high for him coming to Kentucky and when he didn't quite live up to them, people over reacted. Sounded reasonable to me...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has shown flashes and yet has been inconsistent in SL. Lackluster game today.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has shown flashes and yet has been inconsistent in SL. Lackluster game today.

Yea but they went away from him today. He didn't have many opportunities today.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Reminds me of Dion Waiters not quite the shooter but not far off or the playmaker that waiters is. But there ability to attack the basket and get to the free throw line is similar.

I kind of hope Goodwin gets the chance to start at the 2 spot they list him and have said he's a PG but there's still no reason he can't start at the 2 spot.

I think Goodwin could be 1st team all rookie if given the minutes and right role That be real interesting if he could cause he'd likely beat out either oldipo or Mclemore. Right now him and Dragic would be the primary scores believe it or not Gortat really more of a pick and pop/roll type player not really a post up type guy who needs touches and I'm not sold on them giving Len 15-20 shots a game right of the bat either i could see them expanding his role as the year goes on though.

I think Goodwin's ceiling is a better version of Tyreke Evans think he's a little more athletic than Tyreke is and his form is not to far of being textbook so to say. Tyreke's forum is kind of funky and it make his jump shots very inconsistent. I think if Goodwin just squares up better and closes his shot a little (pulls his elbow in a little) he has solid forum kind of like what Kendall needs to do its called a jump shot for a reason so jump. Really I think both of them Goodwin and Marshall are easy fixes question is are they willing to put the time in and listen. Both have pretty high upsides if they do so.

At worse Goodwin's a solid guy coming of the bench who can score a little and defend.

Waiters? Their games are nothing alike

Errntknght

Reaction score
With Bledsoe, Dragic, Goodwin and Garrett (or maybe Christmas) as guards and PJ as a wing this team has the makings of a team that can run and run some more. There's a remote possibility that such a style would light a fire in Beasley - he'd be good at it if he worked hard ( huge 'if' I know). Len supposedly runs the floor when healthy - he'd make a good trailer. The Morris boys are young so they could run - Markieff has shown some of that if I recall, but not sure about Marcus - he might be okay pulling up at the 3pt line. We'd have to add some pieces that fit but we could see the start of it this year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea but they went away from him today. He didn't have many opportunities today.

It's funny how different players are evaluated. When everyone likes them their good days are standard and bad days are outliers. With other players it's just the opposite.