Big Jake article

sunsfn

Reaction score
Work ethic pays off for 'Big Jake'
By Ronald Tillery
Contact
November 19, 2003

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_2438862,00.html

Jake Tsakalidis's humble basketball beginnings originated about a three-hour drive north of Moscow.

He actually didn't play for the longest time.

Advertisement

There was hockey. He ran around on soccer fields. And for eight years Tsakalidis was an Olympic-caliber swimmer.

It wasn't until Tsakalidis grew seven inches at age 15 that he even picked up a basketball and committed to the sport. Even then, it took a cross-country skier to teach the now 7-2, 290-pound center how to be what the Grizzlies so desperately needed in the paint.

Whenever Tsakalidis's father, Nikolai, wasn't on the slopes he labored in a Russian factory.

Tsakalidis remembered the work as tough, dirty and heavy on the muscles.

"He always had arm problems and problems with his legs," Tsakalidis said. "He worked hard. I just have in my mind that I'm going to keep working every day to get better and better."

That philosophy and on-court diligence is why Tsakalidis will make his fourth consecutive start at center tonight when the Griz host the Detroit Pistons.

Tsakalidis found himself again at basketball's ground zero following an October trade that shipped him and Bo Outlaw from Phoenix to Memphis. However, 'Big Jake' is now making a big difference.

His size, strength and comprehension of coach Hubie Brown's system have been major factors with the Grizzlies manufacturing their best start in franchise history.

Since Tsakalidis supplanted Stromile Swift as the man in the middle, the Griz have won three straight games - a run that began with Tsakalidis essentially neutralizing Shaquille O'Neal in a Nov. 10 win against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"He's not just a big guy, he's a physical man," Brown said. "And he has better athleticism than you first think. Now the familiarity with what we're doing helps. You can see he's playing with tons of more confidence. He makes the job easier in the paint because he takes so many guys out when the shot goes up. He may not get the rebound, but he takes guys out of there. We haven't had that."

Tsakalidis had played a total of six minutes in the team's first six games for a variety of reasons. He came to Memphis out of shape because an ankle injury from last summer's European Championships hindered his conditioning.

Tsakalidis, 24, also needed time to fit into Brown's structure.

"Here, we know where we have to be," Tsakalidis said. "Sometimes in Phoenix we just ran and waited on Stephon (Marbury) or Shawn (Marion) to see what would happen. Here it's consistent."

Stability is what Tsakalidis has brought to the front line so far. The Griz still have been outrebounded in every game Tsakalidis has played. The noticeable difference is how much space Tsakalidis requires in the paint, and what the added bulk has meant to front line production.

The Griz can now play an inside-out offensive game because Tsakalidis is an adept post scorer. Plus, the interior defense has improved, and Pau Gasol went from feeble rebounding to averaging more than 11 boards playing next to Tsakalidis.

"He's just so big and strong, and you always notice that," Gasol said. "When guys go in the paint they notice it. People aren't getting offensive rebounds on us as easily. He's able to move them out and intimidate because of his strength."

No one knows Tsakalidis's impact better than Lorenzen Wright. As his backup, Wright wrestles with Tsakalidis every day in practice.

"He's definitely getting into the flow," Wright said. "He likes to bang and get in there and mix it up."

Tsakalidis often draws on his father's advice for inner strength.

At 15, Tsakalidis made the decision to leave Russia and play professional basketball in Greece. His dad had no basketball knowledge to impart. Instead, father lectured son about important life skills for two months that summer.

The result? Big Jake is definitely Nikolai Tsakalidis's son. He turned four years in Greece into first-round NBA draft position three years ago.

"The upside is his great work ethic," Brown said. "All you have to do is go to him and talk about a weakness, and he works hard to accomplish what the coaches want."

Tsakalidis knows no other way.

"I just want to help this franchise win games," he said. "I see how my parents lived so I know you have to work hard to make something."

:)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I wish him good luck, but he would not fit into the future plans of the Suns. So far his stats are about the same as his best year in PHX. But he still is not a shot blocker or a good scorer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the thing that really struck me was his comments in regards to knowing where to be verses waiting for steph or shawn. our team could have probably used a hubie instead of a 4QF. probably still could . . .

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
the thing that really struck me was his comments in regards to knowing where to be verses waiting for steph or shawn. our team could have probably used a hubie instead of a 4QF. probably still could . . .

That comment also stuck out to me. Well, that and that crap about Big Jake being more athletic than he appears. There was also the one about him being a good low post scorer. Whatever! I haven't watched him play yet this season, but I don't believe is figured out how to get that shotput look shot to drop yet.

Joe Mama

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
That comment also stuck out to me. Well, that and that crap about Big Jake being more athletic than he appears. There was also the one about him being a good low post scorer. Whatever! I haven't watched him play yet this season, but I don't believe is figured out how to get that shotput look shot to drop yet.

Joe Mama

agreed

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I think the Suns will look back on this trade and regret it to the utmost extent. Should Johnson be blamed for not playing him much after he returned from the IR or should we blame Bryan when we finally realize that we needed his defense to win games in the west. There is always excuses for not winning ....They need to gel, we are a young team, we don't have a center, the coach is bad, there is an attitude between coach and players, our defense stinks, we were unlucky(shots would't drop), there is no leader on the team and so on and so on. When will the excuses stop and we begin to win consistently? Other teams win and so should we. We have the talent. I'm sick of the promises made year after year, the trading of certain players, young and inexperienced coaches and so on and so on!

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
"A fish stinks from the head" Changes will need to be made from the top down, starting with FJ.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would say Frank is at the top. Not sure there is anything to worry about. We got White and he is much more productive than Big Jake will ever be.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama

Joe Mama

The comments in regards to knowing where to be verses waiting for steph or shawn hit the nail on the head. It's still the same.... and not very many players fit this style - big Jake included. The other problem he had was FJ. FJ wouldn't play him & for all practible purposes eliminated any confidence before it could develop. He's now in the process of demeaning Voskel & Trybanski.- I don't know if Trybanski is worth playing, but a head coach should not belittle a man for getting a bunch of rebounds like FJ did in preseason. White has been a pleasant surprise but he should not have been handed the starting roll on his first day with the team.

I've always liked big Jake and have said so in several other posts. I remember one post I mentioned I'd remind you if he ended up doing a good job for Memphis and believe I mentioned to one of the guys one this board to get his season tickets while they were still cheap.
:)

I've seen him play in the Lakers game & the Orlando game and he was impressive in both. I only watched the first half of Memphis vs Orlando game the other night and Big Jake’s first half stats were: 15 minutes, 9 pts, 4 reb (2 / 2), 1 ast, 1 BS. The half time report even showed a highlight of Big Jake running the floor & getting a dunk. Stats don’t show it all because Orlando missed several shots because of his size in the middle. He actually looked good – no kidding – running the floor, passing the ball, fighting for position & getting rebounds and he even looked ok dribbling the ball – He actually jumped off his feet several times – blocked a shot on one of his “jumps” :D AND, yes, he did make the jump "look" - or hook shot:wink:

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
I definately don't wish Jake luck as others do. I don't like it when Suns players leave and are successful elsewhere (ala Kidd). It's more heartwarming to me when they fall flat on their face (ala McDyess).

"Not only must I succeed but everyone else must fail"

Genghis Kahn

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by creed
I definately don't wish Jake luck as others do. I don't like it when Suns players leave and are successful elsewhere (ala Kidd). It's more heartwarming to me when they fall flat on their face (ala McDyess).

Genghis Kahn

Unfortunately I feel the same way. When players that are traded away succeeded it makes it look like the Suns made the wrong move. I don't like that.

Still, I wish no ill will on Big Jake.

Joe Mama

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
I think the Suns will look back on this trade and regret it to the utmost extent. Should Johnson be blamed for not playing him much after he returned from the IR or should we blame Bryan when we finally realize that we needed his defense to win games in the west. There is always excuses for not winning ....They need to gel, we are a young team, we don't have a center, the coach is bad, there is an attitude between coach and players, our defense stinks, we were unlucky(shots would't drop), there is no leader on the team and so on and so on. When will the excuses stop and we begin to win consistently? Other teams win and so should we. We have the talent. I'm sick of the promises made year after year, the trading of certain players, young and inexperienced coaches and so on and so on!

SUNS RULE!

Personally, I dont, nor will I ever regret getting rid of that stiff. I hurt inside wishing for him to be successful. Now I dont have to worry about it. If he is, great, but having him being successful wouldnt have helped this team any. You say we always have excuses for not winning. Arent you creating one for your inability to support this team by alluding that Big Jake would have become something for this team that he never once showed a proclivity for other than a few menaingless-out-of-the-playoff-equation games two years ago??? Whatever. Big Jake sucked. End of story.

Im much happier with a badass at the 5 who practices in full, the day after having a pin inserted in the joint of his finger...

"Tape that sh*t up and screw the pain killers. See you on the court!"

I dont care that hes 6'9" Ill take that center any day over a 7 footer with hands of stone, and no ability to run.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wally
White has been a pleasant surprise but he should not have been handed the starting roll on his first day with the team.

It was "handed to him" by the guy he replaced. Keep that in mind when y'all continue to rehash over and over and over how much y'all hate Frank. I dont care for him either. But if you guys are going to invent reasons to hate him out of thin air, come up with something creative at least.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
It was "handed to him" by the guy he replaced. Keep that in mind when y'all continue to rehash over and over and over how much y'all hate Frank. I dont care for him either. But if you guys are going to invent reasons to hate him out of thin air, come up with something creative at least.

I wasn't aware that Voskel was the one who made the decisions in the lineup. Maybe that's the whole problem & FJ isn't to blame for any of the problems:D . Seriously, I din't know Jake (must of) told FJ he wanted to come off the bench, but even if he did, FJ still made the decision (I think). Even though I now think White deservers to be the starter, I believe he should have earned it. Now that Scotty is off the injured list, do you think White should give the starting job to him? Wonder what FJ will do:eek:

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score

Genghis Kahn

Kidd and McD are both different situations. McD royally screwed the Suns over after they had already committed to him leaving them with nothing to go to a nothing team. Kidd bad-mouthed the Suns after getting traded. I was actually ok with Kidd being on another team and was wishing him to do well until he opened his yap and wouldn't shut it.

What did Big Jake do? He basically said the coach isn't that great. Anybody disagree with that? Other than that you might say he didn't try as hard as what we would have liked but the coach didn't really give him much of a chance. At least he wasn't sucking the team dry with an overpaid contract like a certain Aussie did.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wish Tsakalidis well. The organization was down on him because he was slow and didn't have much experience. Well, they knew that when they drafted him. If they changed their minds about what they wanted, that's not his fault.

Besides, I have him on my fantasy team now. :D

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I, for the LIFE of me, STILL cannot figure out how any reasonable person can say that McDyess screwed the Suns over. He left and that sucks, but he didnt screw this team over. Hating him for leaving after he fulfilled his contractual obligation to the team is just wrong.

If any former Sun player has my sympathy (hell, it borders on pity at this point) its Antonio McDyess.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wally
I've seen him play in the Lakers game & the Orlando game and he was impressive in both. I only watched the first half of Memphis vs Orlando game the other night and Big Jake’s first half stats were: 15 minutes, 9 pts, 4 reb (2 / 2), 1 ast, 1 BS. The half time report even showed a highlight of Big Jake running the floor & getting a dunk. Stats don’t show it all because Orlando missed several shots because of his size in the middle. He actually looked good – no kidding – running the floor, passing the ball, fighting for position & getting rebounds and he even looked ok dribbling the ball – He actually jumped off his feet several times – blocked a shot on one of his “jumps” :D AND, yes, he did make the jump "look" - or hook shot:wink:

I watched part of the Grizz/Pistons game last night. It's obvious he still needs work but I remember one instance where he beat everyone down the floor on defense and then when the ball was thrown high to an inside player Jake jumped up, grabbed the ball out of the air making the steal and then threw it back downcourt to a team mate who was then fouled and went to the line. It was pretty impressive. Another time he was going in to dunk it and it took three other guys jumping on him to keep him from getting it in the basket. Those are just some hightlights I remember. There were other times he still looked lost or confused both on defense and offense.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by JJ Slim
What did Big Jake do? He basically said the coach isn't that great. Anybody disagree with that? Other than that you might say he didn't try as hard as what we would have liked but the coach didn't really give him much of a chance. At least he wasn't sucking the team dry with an overpaid contract like a certain Aussie did.

What did Big Jake do?? He became a non-Suns player....thats crime enough. How dare he go somewhere else and have some success!

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
What did Big Jake do?? He became a non-Suns player....thats crime enough. How dare he go somewhere else and have some success!

LOL!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I, for the LIFE of me, STILL cannot figure out how any reasonable person can say that McDyess screwed the Suns over. He left and that sucks, but he didnt screw this team over. Hating him for leaving after he fulfilled his contractual obligation to the team is just wrong.

If any former Sun player has my sympathy (hell, it borders on pity at this point) its Antonio McDyess.

He did screw us over, by leaving after his contract was up after we traded 2 first rounders to get him. We would've offered the same or more money.

If a team traded 2 first rounders to get me, I would feel a sense of loyalty. I guess we should blame Jon Lucas and Nick Van Exel more than anyone else, since McD doesn't have a strong personality and is easily influenced by others.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well loyalty shmoyalty. Its business. I agree, Lucas, Dutt and VanExel are to blame here in the greatest collusion-never-to-be-investigated this league has ever seen.

But McDyess had every right to do what he wanted. Your feelings are hurt, but he didnt do anything wrong. If anything, blame Ainge for not trusting him and making him the man. Blame the Suns for giving up so much for him. Sure you couldnt have forcast the impending lockout (could you? maybe you could) and you couldnt forcast the under the table stuff, but again emotion cant get the best of you here. The situation screwed the Suns. Its illogical to blame it on the player who was simply making a decision he had every right to make.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
He did screw us over, by leaving after his contract was up after we traded 2 first rounders to get him. We would've offered the same or more money.

If a team traded 2 first rounders to get me, I would feel a sense of loyalty. I guess we should blame Jon Lucas and Nick Van Exel more than anyone else, since McD doesn't have a strong personality and is easily influenced by others.

I agree, he did screw us over, but he probably didn't know it. Saying he doesn't have a strong personality is really being nice... The guy would have a hard time coming up with the answer to 2 + 2 = ??
On the other hand, Ainge didn't play him very much & he wasn't happy about that.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Well loyalty shmoyalty. Its business. I agree, Lucas, Dutt and VanExel are to blame here in the greatest collusion-never-to-be-investigated this league has ever seen.

But McDyess had every right to do what he wanted. Your feelings are hurt, but he didnt do anything wrong. If anything, blame Ainge for not trusting him and making him the man. Blame the Suns for giving up so much for him. Sure you couldnt have forcast the impending lockout (could you? maybe you could) and you couldnt forcast the under the table stuff, but again emotion cant get the best of you here. The situation screwed the Suns. Its illogical to blame it on the player who was simply making a decision he had every right to make.

Its not illogical to blame Dice at all. He took less money...went to a lessor team...and failed terribly. The outcome was bad for all concerned. Even the Nuggets didnt want him anymore and traded him for Nene.