Bold Predictions: Niners make playoffs, Cards don't

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
NFC contenders that will get in

San Francisco 49ers (4-5). Despite sitting ninth in the conference rankings with a sub-.500 record, the 49ers are 4-2 against NFC opponents, with winnable games coming up against Green Bay, Jacksonville, Seattle, Arizona, Detroit and St. Louis. The 49ers will need to win six of their final seven games -- including the completion of a season sweep over the Cardinals -- to win the division, but that's doable if they limit giveaways.

NFC contenders that won't

Arizona Cardinals (5-3). Despite leading the division by 1.5 games over the 49ers, the Cardinals have one less conference win than San Francisco. Arizona's defense has not been as strong as last season. Though the Cardinals have had success against the run, they have allowed 29 pass plays of 20 or more yards and seven pass plays of at least 40 yards. The schedule is not particularly hard, but it's not a cakewalk either, with potentially tricky games against Tennessee and Green Bay and a game against the Vikings at home, where Arizona is 1-3. A stumble here and there and a loss at San Francisco could put the Cardinals at 10-6 and on the short end of a tiebreaker with the 49ers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-11-14/week-10-10-bold-predictions-on-playoff-picture

Agree? Disagree?

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Let's see: the Cardinals smash the Bears in Chicago, where they were previously undefeated at home. The 49'ers stumble against the Bears in their own house, where the Bears had a terrible road record to begin with. Cutler throws 5 interceptions, and yet the 49'ers only managed one touch down, and almost lost it in the final minute.

I just don't see where the author comes up with this.

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score
The writer sounds like he hasn't watched a single Cardinals game. Still, I think it is better for this team to be pushed by the 9er's all season instead of cruising to a division title with a 3 game lead.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
The writer sounds like he hasn't watched a single Cardinals game. Still, I think it is better for this team to be pushed by the 9er's all season instead of cruising to a division title with a 3 game lead.

It might be better for the team to be pushed, but as for me, I could use the 3 game cushion.:)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
As bad as the Niners offense can be their defense keeps them in most games. As Jekyll & Hyde the Big Red are, I still think it will come down to who wins the Monday nighter in San Fran. If we beat the teams we should beat in the Hawks, Lions & Lambs (twice) would should have 9 wins. No other games are givens!!! We must beat the Niners on Monday night!!!

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we just go 4-4 the rest of the way , the 49er's would have to go 5-2. If one of our 4 wins is against the 49ers, they would have to go 6-1 because they would lose the tiebreaker they currently hold.

They still have to go to Green Bay and Philadelphia not to mention Seattle.

Does anybody really see the 49ers going 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the way? I sure don't see it.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Let's see: the Cardinals smash the Bears in Chicago, where they were previously undefeated at home. The 49'ers stumble against the Bears in their own house, where the Bears had a terrible road record to begin with. Cutler throws 5 interceptions, and yet the 49'ers only managed one touch down, and almost lost it in the final minute.

I just don't see where the author comes up with this.

He came up with it here.......:moon:

DS_Whit

Rookie
Reaction score
and wouldn't 10-6 at least have a decent chance at a wild card?

With teams like Atlanta, Dallas, Philly and NYG, a wild card is not something that I would like to depend on. These teams all have a shot to not win their division but they all have a good shot at finishing 10 wins or even better.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
:doi: With this statement it is obvious the writer doesn't know what he is talking about!

Agree. Part of our poor pass defense is due to teams playing catch up against us.

But let's not kid ourselves by saying our defense is better than SF's . Especially their front four.

Just like it did against IND, SF's defense will keep them in most games this year.

The writers prediction is way out it left field, no doubt. But not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Still in the end, even with Gore, there offense just won't get them to 10 wins, while we've got enough fire power to overwhelm SEA, STL and DET. And, we'll win one of games against GB, MIN, TEN or SF to get us to 10 wins. Case closed.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bare in mind that he also says the 6-2 Broncos will miss the playoffs and the 3-5 Panthers will make it. I know these are supposed to be "bold" predictions, but these sound more like PCP hallucinations.

but that's doable if they limit giveaways.

Uh huh.....tell that to Alex Smith.

Reaction score
Agree. Part of our poor pass defense is due to teams playing catch up against us.

But let's not kid ourselves by saying our defense is better than SF's . Especially their front four. quote] I wasn't commenting about this, but now that you brought it up... :)

In general, folks seem to think that SF is playing great D while the Cards D is weak.

But...

Code:
Team:     SF                             ARI
Yards:               336.0 (19th)               339.8 (21st)
Pass:                248.3 (29th)               246.6 (27th)
Rush:                87.7 (3rd)                 93.1 (4th) 
Sacks:               17                         21  
INTs:                11                         8
FF Rec:              4                          5

Let's not kid ourselves... :cool:

seesred

Reaction score
When you measure Sats you need to allow for the teams they were up against. Sure the Niners look like our equal on paper, but anyone that saw Thursdays game where the Niners scored 10 points, against the same team we scored 41 must know that we are much stronger than the Niners and wont be held to 10 points in any game. Given that injuries don't stop it.
If I were a betting person I would bet the house we would be on top of the Niners at the end.

Since my house is not worth half the money I put into it. Maybe I'll just bet my Garage. If we win this Sunday it will put a slight stab in thier heart.

GBR

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And why is Green Bay winnable for the 49'ers, but tricky for us?
I don't know the niners well enough to say if it's an advantage for them, but pass rush is the key to beating the Pack. Their line is gawd-awful, but have very good skill-position players.

I'm a little worried about our pass-rush as the season progresses and the age and lack of depth at OLB start catching up with us.

That's not to say I think the niners have a better chance of beating GB than we do, but I do think pass rush is the key...maybe that gives them an advantage, maybe it doesn't.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
When you measure Sats you need to allow for the teams they were up against. Sure the Niners look like our equal on paper, but anyone that saw Thursdays game where the Niners scored 10 points, against the same team we scored 41 must know that we are much stronger than the Niners and wont be held to 10 points in any game. Given that injuries don't stop it.
If I were a betting person I would bet the house we would be on top of the Niners at the end.

Since my house is not worth half the money I put into it. Maybe I'll just bet my Garage. If we win this Sunday it will put a slight stab in thier heart.

Us, in Chicago, 41 points.
9ers, in SF, 10 points.

They (9ers) barely held on at home, we stomped the Bears away.....

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

But let's not kid ourselves by saying our defense is better than SF's . Especially their front four. quote] I wasn't commenting about this, but now that you brought it up... :)

In general, folks seem to think that SF is playing great D while the Cards D is weak.

But...

Code:
Team:     SF                             ARI
Yards:               336.0 (19th)               339.8 (21st)
Pass:                248.3 (29th)               246.6 (27th)
Rush:                87.7 (3rd)                 93.1 (4th) 
Sacks:               17                         21  
INTs:                11                         8
FF Rec:              4                          5

Let's not kid ourselves... :cool:

Intersting. Thanks for the context.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two words - Alex Smith

Give me a break, how on earth anyone can write this after watching Thursday's game is beyond me; it looked to me like both teams were TRYING to lose.

Niners will not finish over .500

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

GBR

Those were two very average teams. Who played a very sloppy contest. UGLY game! That''s what SF counts on.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
They still have to go to Green Bay and Philadelphia not to mention Seattle.

Does anybody really see the 49ers going 5-2 or 6-1 the rest of the way? I sure don't see it.

Hell no! What is the writer basing that on? Their dominating performance against the Bears?

SF is 2-5 in their last 7 games, including a loss at home to 1-6 Tennessee.

All of a sudden they are going to turn it on and go 6-1? No chance.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I respect the Niners.

I respect them more than some of the Seattle teams that were supposed to be good over the last two years.

There game plan has a history of having success in the NFL. Play great defense, and run the ball.

But in the new aged NFL, teams can now take away the running game. And now that the Niners are a little more "known" around the league, it is causing more attention to be paid to Frank Gore.

You don't have to tell a Cardinals fan about Frank Gore. We know about Mr. Gore and his ability to single handedly beat the tar out of your team. But if you shut down Frank Gore, both in the run game, or short passing game, then you pretty much shut down the Niner offense.

That is the Niner's biggest problem, and it doesn't help their two best offensive linemen are on IR.

Can the Niners put a string of wins together and steal this division ? Absolutely.

But after the next two weeks, the Cardinals can put this division away. If the Cardinals come out over the next two weeks, and beat the hell out of Seattle and the Rams then it sets up a 7-3 team going into Tenn.

We win at Tenn. the seasons is ours.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Bold Prediction: This guy doesn't get any of his bold predictions right.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
So he has Eagles, 9ers, and Panthers making it, with the Giants, and Cardinals missing. That means he has NO, Dallas, Phi, SF, Min, Atl, and Carolina all making the playoffs? When did they expand to 7 teams?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05