Brett Farve rips on Walker for his sit out

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Someone on our team should relay this to Boldin

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_20876863.shtml

Brett Favre isn’t sure whether Javon Walker cares what he thinks of his receiver’s holdout, but just in case, the Green Bay Packers’ quarterback made it clear.

“If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I’d tell him he’s going about this the wrong way,” Favre said. “When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I’d tell him I’ve been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you.”

Favre, 35, expressed his disappointment with Walker during a telephone interview from his Hattiesburg, Miss., home. He said he was upset when he heard Walker intended to sit out the season if the Packers don’t renegotiate his contract. Walker, the Packers’ first-round draft pick in 2002, has two years remaining on his existing deal. He is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006. Walker had a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He played in his first Pro Bowl in February.

“I would’ve never thought it would be a guy like Javon,” Favre said. “I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don’t.”

Favre said Walker’s holdout reminded him of Sterling Sharpe’s decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Vikings in the 1994 season opener.

“Nowadays you’re seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt,” he said. “If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I’ll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon’s situation was ‘Here we go again.’ “Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky’s the limit for that guy, and I’d be the first to defend him, but he’s going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, ‘Let’s work as a team to see if we can get this done?’ Why not go about it that way?

“Maybe I’m old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it’s a lesser player, but it’s all based on what a team has as far as value in that person.”

Favre left no doubt as to how he thinks the Packers should handle the situation.

“I sure hope the Packers don’t give in to him,” he said. “I don’t sit up in the front office, and I don’t talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don’t ask me, and it’s not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

“That’s why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said.”

Favre was excused from the team’s post-NFL draft minicamp. He heard of Walker’s decision to hold out on Thursday evening. He said Walker might be wise to go to General Manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.

“Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?” he said. “If Javon does what he’s supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he’s paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn’t complaining two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don’t even think twice about what they’re paying you.”

If Walker’s stance doesn’t change, Favre said, “I’d just as soon go without him. He’s a great player. I think he can help us. He’s likeable and easy to get along with, but I’m guessing he’s getting the wrong advice, and he’s buying into that.

“I just don’t see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he’s not in, I think it’ll start bothering him, and he’ll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you. “We’ve got guys who’ll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him.”

OP
OP
Mrh182

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
If I was green...I'd print the article....change the word "quarterback" to "coach", change "farve" to "Green", and "walker" to "boldin"...then send him a copy every day

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Got Id give 10 boldins for a guy like Favre..

I remember a few years ago when GB came here to play, I was walking in along the bottem of the stadium and just turned the corner to my NEZ seats when my eye was caught by two nice-looking female Cardinal fans. As I passed by I heard them talking about Bret Favre; I heart one say, "Thats Brett Favre...I wish he was OUR quarterback"!

I remeber thinking, "Me too". I hope Warner has a great year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Got Id give 10 boldins for a guy like Favre.

Everything he said is right on the money.

You do realize Favre renegotiated his rookie contract after his 3rd year in Green Bay(4th overall) and first Pro Bowl? Walker has been in Green Bay for 3 years and is coming off his first pro bowl.

Favre had one year left on his rookie deal from Atlanta but signed a 5 year 19 million deal with a team record bonus as a reward for his season. walker has 2 years left(they voided the 7th year of his original deal) and will make 515K this year under his current deal.

Walker has 21 TD's in his last 2 years and is clearly coming into his own.

The primary difference is Green Bay came to Favre to redo the deal, they haven't done that with Walker.

I love Favre but when you're excused from the minicamp for mental fatigue after having 4 months off, and you've been the highest paid player on the team since 1994, it's a bit easier to not worry about your contract.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Redheart said:
I remember a few years ago when GB came here to play, I was walking in along the bottem of the stadium and just turned the corner to my NEZ seats when my eye was caught by two nice-looking female Cardinal fans. As I passed by I heard them talking about Bret Favre; I heart one say, "Thats Brett Favre...I wish he was OUR quarterback"!

I remeber thinking, "Me too". I hope Warner has a great year.

... Postscript: The Cards won the game :D

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You do realize Favre renegotiated his rookie contract after his 3rd year in Green Bay(4th overall) and first Pro Bowl? Walker has been in Green Bay for 3 years and is coming off his first pro bowl.

Favre had one year left on his rookie deal from Atlanta but signed a 5 year 19 million deal with a team record bonus as a reward for his season. walker has 2 years left(they voided the 7th year of his original deal) and will make 515K this year under his current deal.

The primary difference is Green Bay came to Favre to redo the deal, they haven't done that with Walker.

I love Favre but when you're excused from the minicamp for mental fatigue after having 4 months off, and you've been the highest paid player on the team since 1994, it's a bit easier to not worry about your contract.

LOL! That post has way too many facts in it! It is messin' with that warm-fuzzy feeling I was having about Favre!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You do realize Favre renegotiated his rookie contract after his 3rd year in Green Bay(4th overall) and first Pro Bowl? Walker has been in Green Bay for 3 years and is coming off his first pro bowl..

Did he hold out or threaten to hold out or did he say just like he said in the article go to the team and work something out without having an agent represent him that worried about himself(the agent) more than the player?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redheart said:
LOL! That post has way too many facts in it!

I just found it extremely ironic that a player who has NEVER once played out his contract is telling Walker to do just that. Favre had his 2nd deal extended to get the Packers caproom, like in the old days where he got a fat new bonus and a new deal that lowered his cap value and put a lot of cash in his pocket.

In fact if Favre retires after this season he'll have played his entire career without "honoring" one complete contract. Note I'm not saying he's done anything wrong,he's earned his money, competed ferociously, and played his ass off his whole career, but to call out a teammate who's asking for similar treatment to what Favre got in 94 seems a bit hypocritical.

Again, Favre never held out in 94 but he never had to, the Pack gave him a fat new contract.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Did he hold out or threaten to hold out or did he say just like he said in the article go to the team and work something out without having an agent represent him that worried about himself(the agent) more than the player?

He didn't have to threaten anything, the team came to him.
Note, in no way am I saying Walker's value to the Packers comes close to Favre's, they could give Favre 8 MVP's as far as I'm concerned he's been that great for that long.

I just think he has probably completely forgotten that Green bay did for him precisely what Walker is asking for.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He didn't have to threaten anything, the team came to him.
Note, in no way am I saying Walker's value to the Packers comes close to Favre's, they could give Favre 8 MVP's as far as I'm concerned he's been that great for that long.

I just think he has probably completely forgotten that Green bay did for him precisely what Walker is asking for.

But, GB came to Farve. They are not coming to Walker and that is probably why he is ticked.

that is why it makes this Boldin issue perplexing. The Cards are wanting to extend Boldin and give him a nice raise but he is balking. With the info I know I say Boldin is in the wrong.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedStorm said:
But, GB came to Farve. They are not coming to Walker and that is probably why he is ticked.

that is why it makes this Boldin issue perplexing. The Cards are wanting to extend Boldin and give him a nice raise but he is balking. With the info I know I say Boldin is in the wrong.

FWIW while looking up Walker's salary I found a link that suggested one of the reasons the Packers don't want to redo Walker this year is Favre. It seems they are in a tight cap year and they are counting on Favre retiring to free up caproom next year for Walker.

Look without Favre, Walker doens't make the probowl last year. I'm as big a Rodgers fan as there is on this board and even I don't think he'll ever come close to what Favre has in Green bay, Favre made a lot of WR's look better than they were. I just think great players who have always been treated favorably in contract talks with their team don't realize not every player gets that same treatment.

I'm not bashing Favre, I just think he has forgotten about his first contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

thank god someone posted this. favre needs to the shut the f**k up considering that the team leapt to take care of him under similar circumstances. walker's only problem is that he's not a qb.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I think that is why he said
I’d tell him I’ve been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you.”

I think he was speaking from personal experience.

Brett Favre :notworthy

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Favre was a restricted free agent at the time and was getting offers from the Rams and Saints. He wasn't under contract when he held out. That's a big difference. Favre didn't complain either when guys like Jake Plummer got bigger contracts than him even though he went to 2 Super Bowls and won 3 MVPs. From the article below:

"Maybe the only time the Packers ever had to operate without Favre was at their April 1994 minicamp in Mesa, Ariz., during construction of the Don Hutson Center. Favre, a restricted free agent at the time, didn't practice for contractual reasons.

Favre visited the New Orleans Saints earlier that winter and then reportedly received a five-year, $20 million offer from the Los Angeles Rams."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/nov01/packers27112601.asp

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
. walker's only problem is that he's not a qb.

That and that he is black.

If Favre was a WR he still wouldn't have been criticised like this!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
That and that he is black.

okay - now it makes sense - someone else is posting as LV because this is absolutely ********.

Are you kidding? Bringing race into this?

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I just found it extremely ironic that a player who has NEVER once played out his contract is telling Walker to do just that.

He just said he is going about it the wrong way and he is right.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
okay - now it makes sense - someone else is posting as LV because this is absolutely ********.

Are you kidding? Bringing race into this?

OK, look...I didnt explain myself entirely, so I will accept the "********" comment and aplogize for just "throwing out the race card" -SORRY

What I meant was, and this has been well docuemnted by black former Green Bay players, is that race is a HUUUUGE issue in Green Bay. Outside of some guys on the team there are very few black families that live in GB.

They tend -in GB- to have much less tolerance for this type of thing coming from black players than they would from a beloved white "Favre" type.

I am not suggesting everyone in GB is racist but the reality is that former GB players recognize this to be a problem in GB....

That is all I meant, and sorry for not clarifying....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
OK, look...I didnt explain myself entirely, so I will accept the "********" comment and aplogize for just "throwing out the race card" -SORRY

What I meant was, and this has been well docuemnted by black former Green Bay players, is that race is a HUUUUGE issue in Green Bay. Outside of some guys on the team there are very few black families that live in GB.

They tend -in GB- to have much less tolerance for this type of thing coming from black players than they would from a beloved white "Favre" type.

I am not suggesting everyone in GB is racist but the reality is that former GB players recognize this to be a problem in GB....

That is all I meant, and sorry for not clarifying....

******.:D

Honestly I agree with Russ - Favre should shut up - he's got no business talking about this - the team came to him and re-did his deal and he never HAD to live out a contract. He's coming from a lack of experience which makes him ignorant on the subject IMO.

Quan sucks. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05