Brett Farve rips on Walker for his sit out

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Got Id give 10 boldins for a guy like Favre.

Everything he said is right on the money.

So true! What a refreshing voice of reason with all of this Hold Out BS! Good for Farve !

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You do realize Favre renegotiated his rookie contract after his 3rd year in Green Bay(4th overall) and first Pro Bowl? Walker has been in Green Bay for 3 years and is coming off his first pro bowl.

Favre had one year left on his rookie deal from Atlanta but signed a 5 year 19 million deal with a team record bonus as a reward for his season. walker has 2 years left(they voided the 7th year of his original deal) and will make 515K this year under his current deal.

QUOTE]
But did he miss camp time to get the deal or was he just rewarded? I don't think Favre is mad about Walker getting more money. He's mad about him missing practice time and letting his teammates down for that raise.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
******.:D

Honestly I agree with Russ - Favre should shut up - he's got no business talking about this - the team came to him and re-did his deal and he never HAD to live out a contract. He's coming from a lack of experience which makes him ignorant on the subject IMO.

Why does having an opinion make him wrong. no, he doesn't know about wanting more money, btu he does know about "team", so he has every right to voice his opinion about what another player is doing to the rest of the players who are practicing. Just Favre didn't walk the same path, doesn't mean his comments are not justified, warranted, correct, and even the same as many other teammates.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
thank god someone posted this. favre needs to the shut the f**k up considering that the team leapt to take care of him under similar circumstances. walker's only problem is that he's not a qb.

I gotta disagree Ouchie. Bottom line is that Favre IS that team. Their success is based a TON more on his performance than on anyone else's.

Just think what Green Bay's record would have been like the last 3 years without Favre and then do the same without Walker.

It's night and day. No Walker, no big deal. No Favre, well who knows.

I agree with Favre. Walker, Quan, T.O. etc should shut up, quit their crying and play football. Renegotiate in private with the team. If the team doesn't want to reward them for playing above the original contract than play it out and leave.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Anyone notice that it's been wide receivers the past couple of years threatening holdouts? Is it because they're on ESPN highlights more often than other players? Are they simply becoming more egotistical? I really don't know the answer, it's just something I've noticed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houdini said:
Favre was a restricted free agent at the time and was getting offers from the Rams and Saints. He wasn't under contract when he held out. That's a big difference. Favre didn't complain either when guys like Jake Plummer got bigger contracts than him even though he went to 2 Super Bowls and won 3 MVPs. From the article below:

"Maybe the only time the Packers ever had to operate without Favre was at their April 1994 minicamp in Mesa, Ariz., during construction of the Don Hutson Center. Favre, a restricted free agent at the time, didn't practice for contractual reasons.

Favre visited the New Orleans Saints earlier that winter and then reportedly received a five-year, $20 million offer from the Los Angeles Rams."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/nov01/packers27112601.asp

Then my source is wrong because SI said that Favre had one full year left on his rookie deal from Atlanta when Green Bay EXTENDED his deal with a 5 year 19 million deal.

if that's not true, I apologize to Favre, but it did quote Favre in the article saying he was glad he knew where he'd be for the next 5 years so he didn't have to worry about negotiating a contract at the end of the year.

Boy would NFL history have been different if Favre had left Green Bay.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Then my source is wrong because SI said that Favre had one full year left on his rookie deal from Atlanta when Green Bay EXTENDED his deal with a 5 year 19 million deal.

if that's not true, I apologize to Favre, but it did quote Favre in the article saying he was glad he knew where he'd be for the next 5 years so he didn't have to worry about negotiating a contract at the end of the year.

Boy would NFL history have been different if Favre had left Green Bay.

Maybe we are both right and talking about different years too. If your source is right, I'd still defend Favre though. Because the Packers have had an unwritten policy of extending contracts to some players they like with a year to go on their contracts, but not with more than a year to go like Walker this year or McKenzie last year.

I liked Boldin and Walker, as they both semed like good guys. But of the two I could defend Boldin much more easily than Walker, because it sounded to me like the Cardinals told him they were planning on extending his contract. The timing just turned out bad for Boldin and the team because of his injury, so now both sides are in an odd situation. I think Walker is flat out wrong though with his holdout because no promises were ever made to him, and he's still under contract.

T. Owens I have no forgiveness for. He wants out of his contract the year after he signed it. Too bad TO. The Eagles made it to the Super Bowl without you during the playoffs.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Houdini said:
T. Owens I have no forgiveness for. He wants out of his contract the year after he signed it. Too bad TO. The Eagles made it to the Super Bowl without you during the playoffs.

And they lost the Super Bowl with him too. Don't understand what his perceived leverage is here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houdini said:
Maybe we are both right and talking about different years too. If your source is right, I'd still defend Favre though. Because the Packers have had an unwritten policy of extending contracts to some players they like with a year to go on their contracts, but not with more than a year to go like Walker this year or McKenzie last year.

I liked Boldin and Walker, as they both semed like good guys. But of the two I could defend Boldin much more easily than Walker, because it sounded to me like the Cardinals told him they were planning on extending his contract. The timing just turned out bad for Boldin and the team because of his injury, so now both sides are in an odd situation. I think Walker is flat out wrong though with his holdout because no promises were ever made to him, and he's still under contract.

Yeah I guess it wasn't clear but I don't necessarily think Walker is right. Walker was a very pedestrian Wr as a rookie, and good in year 2, he didn't offer to give back any money after those years, so why should he demand a raise now after one great year?

To me Quan is different, Quan had a MONSTER rookie year, and then gave his all to the team last year doing everything the team asked of him before during and after the injury.

What I read earlier implied the Packers basically told Walker next year we'll have caproom from Favre's retirement and you'll be taken care of, this year we don't have the caproom to do the kind of new deal you want, so he fired his agent, hired Rosenhaus and now hasn't reported.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05