Cam Cameron

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's time to do some serious thinking about the next head coach. Cam Cameron's name has been mentioned and I can't find anything wrong with him. Can anybody tell me why he would not be a sensible and good choice?

Some other thoughts.
B.Johnson needs to go and we need to replace him with a sheer burner, unless McCoy fills that definition and I'm not sure he does. Move Boldin back to the slot where he belongs in a 3 wide set. Imagine some of those match ups!
It's time to focus on the defense. We need to sign a top flight free agent CB if there is one available. We need to get the biggest and baddest OLB in the draft. Unless somebody can tell me who will replace Davis on the OLine, then we need to re-sign him to keep an improving o-line intact. That being said we should still add to the o-line in free agency also.

I hate the thought of starting all over again with a new regime, but after seeing the success of some teams this year such as the Saints and Jets, I really believe with a little luck the right head coach could do the same here.

Don't forget to comment on Cameron or who you might think would be better.

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know much about Cameron so I won't comment. BUT, I personally like Rivera (sp) the Bears DC. I believe he would bring some real toughness to both our Offense AND Defense and I would love him to bring in Mike Singletary as DC.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Don't know much about Cameron so I won't comment. BUT, I personally like Rivera (sp) the Bears DC. I believe he would bring some real toughness to both our Offense AND Defense and I would love him to bring in Mike Singletary as DC.

And Jim McMahon as OC, and Kevin Butler as Special Teams coach. ;)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Singletary's done wonders for the San Francisco defense. They've gone from ranked last in the NFL to 27th in the NFL! Sign me up!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Singletary's done wonders for the San Francisco defense. They've gone from ranked last in the NFL to 27th in the NFL! Sign me up!

I don't see how they could do much better than that considering the lack of top talent they have on that side of the ball.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see how they could do much better than that considering the lack of top talent they have on that side of the ball.

Top talent? Probably not. But they have a great DT, two above-average ILBs, a very good safey, and a good cornerback combo in Spencer and Harris.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Top talent? Probably not. But they have a great DT, two above-average ILBs, a very good safey, and a good cornerback combo in Spencer and Harris.

No one on the 9ers defensive line could be considered "great". Bryant Young was once "great", but now he's only good. Smith and Ulbrich aren't above average ILBs; neither make many plays (which is generally the litmus test you use to judge players).

Harris and Spencer have been better than imagined, but Spencer still gets picked on for big plays, neither are exactly great corners. Safety? Who would be "a very good safety"? Keith Lewis? Mike Adams? Tony "burnt toast" Parrish? None would be considered "very good".

They have a 4 good players (compared to the rest of the NFL) IMO right now:
Bryant Young, Walt Harris, Spencer, and Brandon Moore (their best defender and a guy that would've been a great addition to our team this past offseason, Rob Moore's little bro).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My point K9 is that the 9ers don't really have the personell to have even an average defense. They are lacking playmaking DBs, another playmaking LB for the 3-4, a nose tackle, and have two ILBs who don't make plays.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like the idea of Cammeron or Rivera. Proven coordinators that would make one side of the ball dominating. Hopefully the Bidwills ante for the right assistants, and push for us to keep Loney as O Line coach. Why screw with something that works? Loney has fixed the O Line to some degree, and with a little better talent, our line could be very good.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I prefer Ken Wiesenhunt.

- Along with Cameron he's considered the best offensive candidates
- He's a great X and O guy and very innovative.
- He's been the #2 guy for the Steelers and should know have to run a team
- The Steelers run a similar organisation to the Cardinals and he would know how to fit in (Old School management and similar cap strategy).

And the best part....
- He had the balls to tell Al Davis to his face, that he would never consider taking the Raiders' HC job, if the team didn't get a real GM, that wouldn't ruin his chances of success.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I prefer Ken Wiesenhunt.

- Along with Cameron he's considered the best offensive candidates
- He's a great X and O guy and very innovative.
- He's been the #2 guy for the Steelers and should know have to run a team
- The Steelers run a similar organisation to the Cardinals and he would know how to fit in (Old School management and similar cap strategy).

And the best part....
- He had the balls to tell Al Davis to his face, that he would never consider taking the Raiders' HC job, if the team didn't get a real GM, that wouldn't ruin his chances of success.

He would be a great choice, but if Cowher hangs it up in Pittsburgh, I think Wiesenhunt gets that job.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
One thing that i think could factor into the hiring process, in Ron Rivera's favor, is his hispanic background. Arizona has a large hispanic population and you know the Bidwill's are always looking for a good PR angle. He would satisfy the Rooney rule of interviewing a minority. I don't know for sure, but i think he'd be the first hispanic head coach in the NFL and the Cards have been one of the more progressive team when it comes to hiring minorities. On top of all that, i think he is the best candidate to be the Cards next HC and i hope he gets it. Not for the PR aspect of it but because he is the best guy. I really like the idea of Singletary coming as the DC but i can easily see SF putting the Asst. HC label on him and preventing him from moving on unless it's a HC job. My only fear with Rivera is what kind of staff he would be able to hire. I guess it can't much worse than the likes of Solomon or Alex Wood though.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Perhaps the best place to start would be the GM. Let him select the HC. For the life of me, I can't understand why a HC with great potential would want to coach the Cards without a top notch GM in place.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but i think he'd be the first hispanic head coach in the NFL

No, Tom Flores was named head coach of the Oakland Raiders back in 1979.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the best place to start would be the GM. Let him select the HC. For the life of me, I can't understand why a HC with great potential would want to coach the Cards without a top notch GM in place.

Because the couch could assume some or all of the GM's responsibilities. Not that I agree with it, but it does have some allure.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Because the couch could assume some or all of the GM's responsibilities. Not that I agree with it, but it does have some allure.

I thought he tried that when "You got a winner" came into town," and he left a loser. The word then was never again would Bidwill give so much power to one man.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he tried that when "You got a winner" came into town," and he left a loser. The word then was never again would Bidwill give so much power to one man.

....And yet there was much talk 'round these parts about the Bidwills giving Pete Carroll this amount of power.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

100% in agreement....that's a good reason to keep your expectations very low unless a proven gm decided he wants the challenge of a lifetime working for the killer b's.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
- The Steelers run a similar organisation to the Cardinals and he would know how to fit in (Old School management and similar cap strategy).quote]

not to be a wise guy...but could you please expand on this statement how THIS TEAM'S front office is similar to that of the steelers...you MIGHT have a better shot at it comparing it to the raiders fron office and field mgt.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
- The Steelers run a similar organisation to the Cardinals and he would know how to fit in (Old School management and similar cap strategy).quote]

not to be a wise guy...but could you please expand on this statement how THIS TEAM'S front office is similar to that of the steelers...you MIGHT have a better shot at it comparing it to the raiders fron office and field mgt.

None of the above since both have won multiple super bowls in my lifetime. Cards can only be compared to the Clippers. Larry Brown for GM.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And the best part....

Wouldn't he say this exact same thing to the Cardinals?