Can a Rookie Revamp the Cards’ Safety Lineup

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t disagree that the safety group has been stable and competent. However, it’s critical to allocate dollars where the impact is. Few teams try to carry two high priced safeties. I’m not certain a rookie will supplant one of these guys, but I’m confident the Cards will consider going that way.
The Cardinals would have to have a significant change is FA philosophy for the paying of Budda and Jalen to be an issue over the next three years.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cardinals would have to have a significant change is FA philosophy for the paying of Budda and Jalen to be an issue over the next three years.
We should get good effort out of Budda as he will be trying to maximize his next contract. Possibly backing off a late in the season to avoid injury.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That still doesn't justify paying two safeties big money. That said, just looking at the market in general it seems unlikely that Budda makes more than 10m per year. If he plays well, 8-10M should be fine. If he plays like he did last year, wish him well and good luck on another team.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That still doesn't justify paying two safeties big money. That said, just looking at the market in general it seems unlikely that Budda makes more than 10m per year. If he plays well, 8-10M should be fine. If he plays like he did last year, wish him well and good luck on another team.
Jalen Thompson is in a contract year in 2025.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yup... if we pay buddy big this year we likely lose jt next year... if rabbit plays well we likely lose baker to FA...
Seems if Monti is smart...if rabbit is showing good progress we should dump baker at the deadline....pending how records are looking he can package it up as giving baker a shot with a contender

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When will it be okay to remove the IF, when using smart and Monti in the same sentence?
Yeah, I like a lot of what he's doing, but we're by far in the "show me" stage. He has proven nothing more than he's not necessarily as dumb as Keim. Results on the field will be the only way to remove the IF.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like a lot of what he's doing, but we're by far in the "show me" stage. He has proven nothing more than he's not necessarily as dumb as Keim. Results on the field will be the only way to remove the IF.
Missouri all the way

"Show Me"

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winning more games than losing during his tenure would be a good start
That's a high bar in year 2. Especially considering with both probably feel that he inherited the worst roster in the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have it backwards: if we go 12-5, he becomes a good GM. If we go 7-9, he’s still third-choice GM.

You are what your record says you are.
I have it the same as you. :confused:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I guess the bright side is safeties are being paid like running backs at this point, so you can likely get either Budda or Jalen at a reasonable rate, or replace them with decent players on the cheap.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have it backwards: if we go 12-5, he becomes a good GM. If we go 7-9, he’s still third-choice GM.

You are what your record says you are.
I don't have the stats to back up this opinion, but Bill B. , considered one of the all time great coaches, saw his career get off to a slow start. Sometimes, your record doesn't tell the whole story.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have the stats to back up this opinion, but Bill B. , considered one of the all time great coaches, saw his career get off to a slow start. Sometimes, your record doesn't tell the whole story.
I always felt Bill’s scheme and game planning was his strength not necessarily his ability to collect and stock talent.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Okay. But there’s no rush to crown someone who orchestrated one of the most talent-poor rosters in recent memory, either.