Cardinal the color, not the bird

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this on the Internets;

"Contrary to popular logic, the team was not named after the beautiful bird but instead because the team played in used maroon jerseys the original team (in pre-NFL years) had purchased from the University of Chicago. When an observer scoffed that the jerseys were “faded red,” team owner Chris O’Brien countered that they weren’t “faded red,” they were “Cardinal red.”"

Pretty interesting. Theoretically, we could be a color, like the Cleveland Browns.

A-Bomb

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:

"Contrary to popular logic, the team was not named after the beautiful bird but instead because the team played in used maroon jerseys the original team (in pre-NFL years) had purchased from the University of Chicago. When an observer scoffed that the jerseys were “faded red,” team owner Chris O’Brien countered that they weren’t “faded red,” they were “Cardinal red.”"

Pretty interesting. Theoretically, we could be a color, like the Cleveland Browns.

A-Bomb

Of course the Stanford Cardinal beat us to that by about 15 years.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Of course the Stanford Cardinal beat us to that by about 15 years.

Lets just hope that the Cardinals brass doesn't take PC to the ridiculous extreme and unveil an evergreen tree as our new mascot and logo on Thursday.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
so essentially we're really the Arizona Faded Reds. no wonder we suck.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
so essentially we're really the Arizona Faded Reds. no wonder we suck.

Why do you think they're putting a cover on the new stadium. It helps to prevent fading in the sun. I knew we shouldn't have left those unis in the back window of the bus.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem is we are not the Arizona cardinal we are the arizona cardinalS

s is implying, along with the logo, a bird. I do not think you plurilize a color as a name.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Don't you mean the Stanford Indians?

That's what started it, they switched to Cardinals, and then to Cardinal the color.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Problem is we are not the Arizona cardinal we are the arizona cardinalS

s is implying, along with the logo, a bird. I do not think you plurilize a color as a name.

So it is actually the Cincinati Red and not the Reds? The Cleveland Brown and not the Browns? I don't think so.

S is implying a team of players.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
So it is actually the Cincinati Red and not the Reds? The Cleveland Brown and not the Browns? I don't think so.

S is implying a team of players.

hmmm you are correct sir. i retrack my previous post and declare it dumb. :thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:

A-Bomb

This has been discussed here many times. Pretty much everytime a name or logo change comes up.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Weren't the Cleveland Browns named after Paul Brown and not the color? Also, not sure how important this is to the discussion, but Cincinnati Reds is actually a shortened version of Red Stockings. Again, not named after a color, necessarily.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
Weren't the Cleveland Browns named after Paul Brown and not the color? Also, not sure how important this is to the discussion, but Cincinnati Reds is actually a shortened version of Red Stockings. Again, not named after a color, necessarily.

ah I retract my retraction!

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
BigJoe said:

you are correct on both accounts

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That's what started it, they switched to Cardinals, and then to Cardinal the color.
The Cardinals became the Racine Cardinals in 1901. Stanford University only officially became the Cardinal in 1981.

What is the history of Stanford's mascot and nickname?

The unique origins of Stanford’s mascot and have a history that dates back to the University’s founding in 1891. While the Cardinal has always been one of the school’s official colors, the nickname has gone through a series of changes, student votes, controversy and confusion.

Since 1981, Stanford has been known as the Cardinal. Stanford was known as the "Indians" from 1930-72. As for the mascot, Stanford does not officially have one. The "Tree," which is a member of the Stanford Band, has been mistaken as the school’s mascot, but it is not.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigJoe said:

You are Correct.

The original name came from Paul Brown and they addopted the color Brown for the team name and uniforms(Very ugly by the way!). However again they called the Browns not the Brown. Browns is the plural of Brown.

The Reds are named after the color of the stocking which is Red. Again they are not called the Cinicinati Red.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05