Cardinals' 90 Man Roster-Offense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB:

Carson Palmer---hungrier than ever to take the offense and his game to the championship level.

Drew Stanton---relishes his role and stays prepared to step in and produce if needed.

Matt Barkley---all the FO's talk about adding a young QB this off-season does not favor Barkley, although they didn't draft a QB, so there is less pressure to keep a draftee. If UDFA Jake Coker wins over the coaches, perhaps the FO can find a 7th round trade value in Barkley.

Jake Coker---has intriguing credentials and intangibles. If the team releases or trades Barkley, they could save a roster spot by keeping Coker on the PS. With the depth of this roster---keeping the 3rd QB on the PS this year could be a boon for the Cardinals.

RB:

David Johnson---has earned the bell cow role as a triple threat RB.

Chris Johnson---figures to share the load with David and will try to recapture and sustain the early excellence he manifested last year.

Andre Ellington---his versatility as a 3rd down receiver and slot threat could allow him to become more of a consistent factor, health permitting.

Stepfan Taylor---has warded off the Turk the past couple of years because of STs play. Can he do it again? Solid contributor and teammate.

Kerwynn Williams---couldn't beat out Taylor last year in TC so he needs showcase performances in the PS to win the spot.

Jared Baker---speedy, unsung UDFA who will likely get some PT late in PS games to make his case for the PS.

TE:

Darren Fells---coming off a good season and into another contract year. Wants to prove he's worthy of a 3-4 year deal.

Jermaine Gresham---get a fresh bill of health and a whole off-season to dig deeper roots in AZ. Should be highly motivated and might turn in a career year.

Troy Niklas---has to prove he can stay healthy and become the player Steve Keim envisioned when he drafted him the 2nd round.

Ifeanyi Momah---was having a superb month and a half before succumbing to injury. Need to resume the level of his play on offense and on STs to make the roster and be a contributor.

Gerald Christian---BA likes him and his tenacity in the run and passing games. Could well emerge as the best STs player of the group. If so, he sticks.

Hakeem Valles---Monmouth UDFA who Terry McDonough worked out the Monday before the draft. His tape reveals his good length, catch radius and speed, although he tends to fall down on most catches that are the slightest bit off target.

LT:

Jared Veldheer---was slowed by nagging injuries last year; will look to regain his consistency in pass pro and to keep improving in run game.

Rob Crisp---talented PS player who needs to show he belongs.

Clay DeBorg---Eastern Washington UDFA whom the Cardinals were scouting heavily in the draft process---brings versatility (T/G), toughness and grit.

LG:

Mike Iupati---played through shoulder stingers and tightness last year; and still was a dominant force in running game and reasonably reliable is pass pro.

Antoine McClain---big, mauling guard the coaches really like. With big year could slide into RG spot next year.

C:

A.Q. Shipley---played well in spot starts last year and as situational FB. Can he stave off the competition and prove himself as a reliable week-in-and-week-out starter?

Evan Boehm---4th round draft pick who is aggressive and determined. Should be interesting to see how quickly he gains a command of BA's offense.

Taylor Boggs---good sized journeyman who is solid insurance.

RG:

Evan Mathis---FA Super Bowl champion whose leadership could help Cards get over the hump.

Cole Toner---5th round draft pick from Harvard who will be trained as a utility guard/tackle/center option.

RT:

D.J. Humphries---2015 1st round pick who is hungry to put redshirt year behind him.

Earl Watford---4th year 2013 4th rounder who played well at RT in place of Massie during suspension and who can play the guard spots. One of the hidden gems on this roster.

John Wetzel---big, mauling RT who needs to prove he can protect the QB.

WR:

Larry Fitzgerald---coming off sensational year in which he excelled in all aspects of WR play.

Michael Floyd---rebounded well from grotesque hand injury last TC, but always seems to be battling a variety of injuries and a hesitation for catching passes over the middle and turning them into RAC yards. Remains a good deep post and go route threat.

John Brown---starts fast, now he needs to show he can finish fast.

J.J. Nelson---looks to build on flashes of excellence and to develop as a punt returner.

Jaron Brown---good STs player who pops up at key times in the passing game. Has deep catch ability, yet untapped because of over or under throws.

Brittan Golden---feisty STs player who could challenge Nelson as punt returner.

Jaxson Shipley---sure-handed, precise route runner who lack ideal speed, but makes up for it with quick feet and slippery moves.

Amir Carlisle---diminutive Notre Dame slot WR with quicks and return ability.

If the Cardinals keep only 2 QBs on the 53 Man Roster, with all of the added young talent on defense and STs, they could decide to keep Coker on the PS and keep 24 offensive players on the roster. If that turns out to be the case then some difficult decisions will have to be made as to whether to keep 4 RBs and 4 TEs....or to keep 8 or 9 offensive linemen...or to keep more than 5 WRs.

Early Projection (24):

QB (2): Palmer; Stanton
RB (4): D. Johnson, C. Johnson, Ellington, Williams
TE (4): Fells; Gresham; Niklas; Christian
OL (9): Feldheer; Iupati; Shipley; Mathis; Humphries; Boehm; Watford; McClain; Toner
WR (5): Fitzgerald; Floyd; John Brown; Nelson; Jaron Brown

PS (6): QB-Coker; RB-Baker; TE Valles; T/G-DeBord; T-Wetzel or Crisp; WR-Shipley or Carlisle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
when did we sign Brittany and Jason?

Ha!

It's this stupid spelling changer---if I type Brittan it comes out Brittany---if I type Jaron it changes it to Jason. I should have checked, but I was typing fast.

Reaction score
I think they keep Momah TE & drop McClain OL. I believe Momah is going to be a stud receiver at TE.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love Shipley (WR), but he doesn't fit BA's need for speed. And we do have five VG WR's ahead of him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I love Shipley (WR), but he doesn't fit BA's need for speed. And we do have five VG WR's ahead of him.

Exactly my thought as well, Garth. In light of that thought, the speedy rookie WR from Notre Dame, Amir Carlisle might get some good looks.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think they keep Momah TE & drop McClain OL. I believe Momah is going to be a stud receiver at TE.

The question about Momah is whether he can contribute on STs. As a #3 or #4 TE, he has to be able to do that. Gerald Christian can, which is why I had him narrowly winning the roster spot this early on. But, I agree with you, that if Momah impresses as he did last pre-season it will be hard to waive him. Then there's the question of whether Niklas will be healthy and improved. If not, could he be the odd man out?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looks good to me. Gotta love the competition and depth of this roster. It's come so far in the last few years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a feeling Jaron brown will be beat out by a rookie free agent. Not sure who, but I think they will go with someone younger with upside if it's even close.

I also think momha makes the team. Nicklaus at this point needs to go if he does not improve drastically, regardless of where he was drafted.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea I like the 2 qb idea, I drop RB Taylor, I think TE Troy Nikolas has had plenty of time he is on thin ice imo.

This O should be very good.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ha!

It's this stupid spelling changer---if I type Brittan it comes out Brittany---if I type Jaron it changes it to Jason. I should have checked, but I was typing fast.

I really hate spell checkers and autocorrect. Technology is not always an advancement.

I really liked what I saw from Momah last year. Much like the others IMO if Niklas is not challenging for the starting job he needs to get on down the road.

I don't think our WR group will change much but I do expect to see a couple of these guys hit the PS. Small and fast tends to indicate our deep ball game is not going to let up and maybe these guys were brought in so we have options available should anything happen to smoke and fire. Nothing would hurt our offense more than losing our ability to make the defense back up.

I like the RB...Penny...I was all on board to go after Jordan Howard...but this kid runs good and is more of a battering ram.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake