Cardinals at Bills gameday thread 9-8-24

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Can you imagine being on a team where the defenses philosophy seems to be; " Don't worry about it. We can give up as many points as we want. The offense will win the game. ". That seemed to be the Cardinals defensive philosophy today SMH.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Why a thumbs down? I liked Kyler at Oklahoma and cheer for the underdog like I did way back in the day for; " Doug Flutie ". Hate all you want but, the Cardinals defense needs to get better quick or it's going to be a long season for Cards fans SMH.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler clearly lost this game for us. He threw some bad balls. He had less than 5.2 yards per attempts AFTER some big screen and runs after catch from players. And when it came to the crunch he fluffed his lines.

It's ok to admit he had a bad game, it doesn't mean he's trash. It more likely means he should have played more in preseason.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still don't understand that run on 3rd and 10 on the last drive. It was one of the strangest play calls I have seen in that situation. It's not like Conner was having a great game, either. He averaged 3.1 ypc with a 20-yard run thrown in there.

Petzing seemed to outsmart himself multiple times in the second half.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I still don't understand that run on 3rd and 10 on the last drive. It was one of the strangest play calls I have seen in that situation. It's not like Conner was having a great game, either. He averaged 3.1 ypc with a 20-yard run thrown in there.

Are we sure this was petzing? Honestly reminds me of Siriani treating 3rd downs like second downs for the eagles aka gannons mentor.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
He's 20 yards clear downfield by then. Kyler had plenty of time to see him before and after he avoided that.
I will NEVER make an excuse for Kyler Murray. Definitely makes me think about him being or not being the guy, that's a FACT... I would NEVER say that Kyler didn't blow it at the end ( even though the last time these 2 teams played ended about the same; " Minus the Hail Murray :. ) Won't make excuses for anyone on the Cards but, the Cards defense is an embarrassment right now it's just a fact. To have Josh Allen go 18-23, 232 yards and 2 touchdowns, 4 straight touchdowns for Bills offense and expect to win. Good luck with that Cardinals fans lol. Will say it again... Cards fans might hate me for it but, right now, today, the Cardinals defense looked absolutely atrocious, horrible,
Just curious if anyone knows if they made more than one stop in the ENTIRE 2nd half?

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, I get it to some degree as they are expecting pass and you can maybe get most of the 10 in a 4 down situation. But it's a low odds play, better odds are to keep the RB in pass pro and pick someone out. Or even have JC run a wheel or flat and pass to him.

And if you do run it, I'd have the faster, more fresh Benson in.

But yeah Petzing deserves some of the stick for the 2nd half, there were 3 or 4 bad play calls and too much hand it off to JC on 1st down that was predictable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will NEVER make an excuse for Kyler Murray. Definitely makes me think about him being or not being the guy, that's a FACT... I would NEVER say that Kyler didn't blow it at the end ( even though the last time these 2 teams played ended about the same; " Minus the Hail Murray :. ) Won't make excuses for anyone on the Cards but, the Cards defense is an embarrassment right now it's just a fact. To have Josh Allen go 18-23, 232 yards and 2 touchdowns, 4 straight touchdowns for Bills offense and expect to win. Good luck with that Cardinals fans lol. Will say it again... Cards fans might hate me for it but, right now, today, the Cardinals defense looked absolutely atrocious, horrible,
Just curious if anyone knows if they made more than one stop in the ENTIRE 2nd half?

The game was there for Kyler to win though. Yes, the defense was not good, but despite all that with the game on the line your highly paid QB who has been hyped up all season shouldn't be having a half like he did, and shouldn't be missing wide open #1 WR's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? You must have a really low opinion of the team if you were encouraged by this game.

We couldn’t stop them all game.

The game wasn't just the 2nd half. This is the problem with this board. We could have played awesome for 3 quarters and tanked the 4th to lose and the first 3 quarters get forgotten.

There was lot in this game to be positive about. You don't score 28 on the road at the Bills without their being some positives.

Nobody scored more than 25 on the Bills at home last year.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I used to think Orlovsky was pretty good

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He's often a bit over the top with praise in regards to QB play. I like him and think he breaks down plays pretty well but he is not objective sometimes analyzing QB play.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not being argumentative, but do you think kyler would’ve replicated what Palmer did if were to replace Palmer with kyler? I don’t.
Out of that 38-21-1 record, 10 of those wins came in Carson’s first season where he had a 24/22 TD/INT ratio. You know what really helped that team get 10 wins? A top 1 rushing defense with top 7 overall defense.

2014? Played good to start, but injured for the season shortly.

2015? Peak Palmer. Pretty much the only great season he had with us.

What’s funny about that playoff win @Chopper0080 and that other dude brought up is that Carson tried his absolute best to throw the game. Constant dropped INTs from the Packers. This is also with the defense holding Rodgers to 20 points.

I liked Carson a good bit, but revisionist history should not be beating all of you guys’ asses like this. I was there. We were all there. Lets not rewrite history.

And to answer your question about Kyler, yea.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler clearly lost this game for us. He threw some bad balls. He had less than 5.2 yards per attempts AFTER some big screen and runs after catch from players. And when it came to the crunch he fluffed his lines.

It's ok to admit he had a bad game, it doesn't mean he's trash. It more likely means he should have played more in preseason.
I'd say he didn't win the game for us. Which is what you'd hope a QB being 45 mill would do. Hope its just a preseason thing.
Are we sure this was petzing? Honestly reminds me of Siriani treating 3rd downs like second downs for the eagles aka gannons mentor.
I do wonder if K1 checked into that play. Cant remember.

Out of that 38-21-1 record, 10 of those wins came in Carson’s first season where he had a 24/22 TD/INT ratio. You know what really helped that team get 10 wins? A top 1 rushing defense with top 7 overall defense.

What’s funny about that playoff win @Chopper0080 and that other dude brought up is that Carson tried his absolute best to throw the game. Constant dropped INTs from the Packers. This is also with the defense holding Rodgers to 20 points.

I liked Carson a good bit, but revisionist history should not be beating all of you guys’ asses like this. I was there. We were all there. Lets not rewrite history.

I think early Kyler would have as well. Current? Not as sure. Arians would have been good for him in terms of pressing him to take chances though.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Kyler said in his presser that he didn't see him.
and that's a problem.

I was watching red zone after the Cards game and a very similar play occurred withe Baker Mayfield and a rookie(I think) WR. The WR was obviously not the #1 option but Baker saw it opening up. Result, perfect pass, TD. Veteran QB's usually can see the field pretty well. I get missing a guy coming open but missing your #1 option on an obvious blown coverage at the biggest point in the game is hard to swallow from a "franchise QB".

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
and that's a problem.

I was watching red zone after the Cards game and a very similar play occurred withe Baker Mayfield and a rookie(I think) WR. The WR was obviously not the #1 option but Baker saw it opening up. Result, perfect pass, TD. Veteran QB's usually can see the field pretty well. I get missing a guy coming open but missing your #1 option on an obvious blown coverage at the biggest point in the game is hard to swallow from a "franchise QB".
Totally different circumstances though (assuming this is the play you're talking about)

I think Marv's man bit on that first pump fake to another guy. Kyler went to his other read on the left.

Also Baker wasn't getting much pressure from Washington all day.

Still seeing how the Cards play against the Commanders will be interesting. Cause that's how its supposed to look with them being a bad team.

Edit: Now its possible he could have been stripped sacked as the guy suggested. However, a flaw and something Kyler needs to overcome is taking a hit and making the throw. It might have ended the game, fumble, but it also could have won it with the TD. He's got to be willing to take a hit and make the throw as well. Tough outcome.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally different circumstances though (assuming this is the play you're talking about)

I think Marv's man bit on that first pump fake to another guy. Kyler went to his other read on the left.

Also Baker wasn't getting much pressure from Washington all day.

Still seeing how the Cards play against the Commanders will be interesting. Cause that's how its supposed to look with them being a bad team.

Edit: Now its possible he could have been stripped sacked as the guy suggested. However, a flaw and something Kyler needs to overcome is taking a hit and making the throw. It might have ended the game, fumble, but it also could have won it with the TD. He's got to be willing to take a hit and make the throw as well. Tough outcome.

Marv is still wide ass open after Kyler has avoided the rusher.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"Palmer wasn't that good actually" really sums up the vibe of most of this board.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe but the ball hit him in the chest. No one did Kyler any favors today, himself included, but if this team is going to take the next step, we should win this one.

That would have been a pretty remarkable catch for Dortch though, one handed with the guy all over him.

Live I thought it was PI, on replay I'm not sure it wasn't but of course I'm biased.

The 2 plays on that drive that really bothered me was the drop by Wilson, and the 3rd down run to Conner. The first one cost us time and yardage, and the 2nd one was just insane.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think Orlovsky was pretty good

Wilson was a clear drop, I have a hard time calling the one by Dortch a drop even though it did get there. A few years ago he threw a ball like that, not as high, to Isabella on 4th down and it hit Andy right in the chest with a DB closing and Andy dropped it. This was a similar play but the ball was higher, there was actual contact by the DB(the Isabella play there wasn't before the ball arrived) and Dortch had to do more movement to get there. Do NFL Wr's make that catch sometimes absolutely but I can't call that a drop.