Cardinals at Bills gameday thread 9-8-24

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

take it for what its worth

my opinion: even if he throws it to MHJ and they score a TD -- you know the Bills were using that 40 secs to get the winning FG. The only chance of winning there was scoring a TD with less than 10 secs left

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

my opinion: even if he throws it to MHJ and they score a TD -- you know the Bills were using that 40 secs to get the winning FG. The only chance of winning there was scoring a TD with less than 10 secs left

This is garbage from Orlovsky.

First if Dortch is his 1st read then MHJ should be his 2nd because a) It's in his line of sight already and b) if the CB bites on the pump to Dortch then he's open.

Second, even when he comes back from the left MHJ has 15 yards on the 2 recovering DB's.. All Kyler has to do is throw it down into the EZ and let MHJ adjust to it in the air.

Third, a good QB, one in his 6th year and getting paid $45m a year is thinking pre snap "My #4 overall pick WR is 1 vs 1, maybe I can get the CB to bit on a pump fake to Dortch to open him up".

I'm sure Orlovsky thinks this wasn't on the QB, considering how good he was as a QB.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to think Orlovsky was pretty good

So I was at the game representing. Which may not be a good thing because now I’m like 3-34 all time watching them live. Just brutal. When you’re there, you do miss so, so much by not seeing the replays, etc. Phenomenal football environment in Buffalo & I was shocked at how many Cardinal fans were there. Plenty of good & some bad for sure. But a pretty clean game when you take into account that we don’t play anyone in preseason. It was a tale of 2 halves. Petzing was very good in the 1st half & not so good in the 2nd. Give the Bills some credit. I thought their D was better than expected. We got hosed on 3 legit PI calls that were never called, with 2 to Dortch on that last drive. Murray & our OL were in command of that game until Williams went down. Then the Bills took advantage of Beachum way too often. And even Paris got schooled by Rousseau, but he had 2 sacks on Beachum & one resulted in the fumble by Kyler. I thought Benson should have played a little more. He played in one series & we scored on that series. He was never seen again. Petzing has some mind boggling run calls on 3rd downs when the ball should have stayed in Murray’s hands. Inexcusable that our WR1 & WR2 had 2 catches combined. And they still almost won. Not sure who’s fault that is, but it has to be fixed & fixed soon. MHJ hadn’t played in a real game since November, so I guess that matters too. Wilson dropped a perfectly thrown pass on the sideline on that drive that was bad. He has to make that catch every time.

I know I’m missing a ton, but no one will read this if it gets too long lol. Bills OL is very good & our DL definitely needs Robinson back asap. I thought Mack played great & Collins was good too. We allowed like 4 third and long
conversions where Allen escaped a sack & burned us. Some of that is on us & some of that is because Allen is phenomenal at doing just that. I saw that he did hurt him, but it remains to be seen whether he’ll miss time? All in all, there was plenty of both good and bad. The wind definitely played a part in our play calling, but that applies to both teams. Lastly, and most importantly, the wings in Buffalo ARE the best lol!!!

WeBlitz

Veteran
Reaction score

First if Dortch is his 1st read then MHJ should be his 2nd because a) It's in his line of sight already and b) if the CB bites on the pump to Dortch then he's open.

Second, even when he comes back from the left MHJ has 15 yards on the 2 recovering DB's.. All Kyler has to do is throw it down into the EZ and let MHJ adjust to it in the air.

I'm sure Orlovsky thinks this wasn't on the QB, considering how good he was as a QB.
You think you know more than a Quarterback that actually played professionally?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

WOW!

That puts that play in a completely, completely different light!

I take back what I said about that being an egregious miss by Kyler!

The only chance Murray had to both see MHJ and then make that throw was when he was running for his life back to the right, and by that time the two defenders were recovering! At best it would have been a jump ball into double coverage!

urs

All Star
Reaction score
WOW!

The only chance Murray had to both see MHJ and then make that throw was when he was running for his life back to the right, and by that time the two defenders were recovering! At best it would have been a jump ball into double coverage!
Wonder if some on this board were cautioning about still frames not telling the whole story and others jumping to attack, yesterday?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I was at the game representing. Which may not be a good thing because now I’m like 3-34 all time watching them live. Just brutal. When you’re there, you do miss so, so much by not seeing the replays, etc. Phenomenal football environment in Buffalo & I was shocked at how many Cardinal fans were there. Plenty of good & some bad for sure. But a pretty clean game when you take into account that we don’t play anyone in preseason. It was a tale of 2 halves. Petzing was very good in the 1st half & not so good in the 2nd. Give the Bills some credit. I thought their D was better than expected. We got hosed on 3 legit PI calls that were never called, with 2 to Dortch on that last drive. Murray & our OL were in command of that game until Williams went down. Then the Bills took advantage of Beachum way too often. And even Paris got schooled by Rousseau, but he had 2 sacks on Beachum & one resulted in the fumble by Kyler. I thought Benson should have played a little more. He played in one series & we scored on that series. He was never seen again. Petzing has some mind boggling run calls on 3rd downs when the ball should have stayed in Murray’s hands. Inexcusable that our WR1 & WR2 had 2 catches combined. And they still almost won. Not sure who’s fault that is, but it has to be fixed & fixed soon. MHJ hadn’t played in a real game since November, so I guess that matters too. Wilson dropped a perfectly thrown pass on the sideline on that drive that was bad. He has to make that catch every time.

I know I’m missing a ton, but no one will read this if it gets too long lol. Bills OL is very good & our DL definitely needs Robinson back asap. I thought Mack played great & Collins was good too. We allowed like 4 third and long
conversions where Allen escaped a sack & burned us. Some of that is on us & some of that is because Allen is phenomenal at doing just that. I saw that he did hurt him, but it remains to be seen whether he’ll miss time? All in all, there was plenty of both good and bad. The wind definitely played a part in our play calling, but that applies to both teams. Lastly, and most importantly, the wings in Buffalo ARE the best lol!!!

That's a good point actually. The offensive decline did start after Williams went down.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss

Good morning. Here are a few interesting stats from the Cardinals’ loss to the Bills yesterday in Orchard Park:
- Kyler Murray averaged only 2.9 air yards per completion and failed to complete a single pass thrown 10 or more yards downfield, finishing 0-of-6 on those throws, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
. It was the first time he failed to complete such a throw in a game since Week 14 of 2022, when he only threw one pass.
- Marvin Harrison Jr.’s four receiving yard were the fewest receiving yards by a receiver taken in the top 5 during his debut since Desmond Howard, who had no yards in 1992, and the fewest yards by a receiver taken in the top 10 during his debut since Mike Williams had three in 2005, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
.- Harrison Jr. played 54 of 60 offensive snaps and ran 33 routes, the most among Cardinals, per
@ESPNStatsInfo
- Harrison Jr. ran 11 routes against man coverage, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
- Kyler Murray averaged only 2.9 air yards per completion and failed to complete a single pass thrown 10 or more yards downfield, finishing 0-of-6 on those throws, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
. It was the first time he failed to complete such a throw in a game since Week 14 of 2022, when he only threw one pass.

This is why we lost.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WOW!

Exactly why freeze frames never tell the whole story. Kyler had a great first half, but losing Williams definitely was a huge factor with how Petzing play called. 3 missed legit PI’s in the second half was too much to overcome. And Wilson’s drop on the sideline hurt a ton too.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss

Good morning. Here are a few interesting stats from the Cardinals’ loss to the Bills yesterday in Orchard Park:
@ESPNStatsInfo
- Marvin Harrison Jr.’s four receiving yard were the fewest receiving yards by a receiver taken in the top 5 during his debut since Desmond Howard, who had no yards in 1992, and the fewest yards by a receiver taken in the top 10 during his debut since Mike Williams had three in 2005, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
.- Harrison Jr. played 54 of 60 offensive snaps and ran 33 routes, the most among Cardinals, per
@ESPNStatsInfo
- Harrison Jr. ran 11 routes against man coverage, according to
@ESPNStatsInfo
I was at the game. It was a very windy day, with winds exceeding 20 mph all day. The Cardinals definitely game planned to run & throw short to mid range passes. Even Allen only
attempted a couple of long passes. Even all the Bills fans said to me all day that they had no clue Murray was as good as he was.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was at the game. It was a very windy day, with winds exceeding 20 mph all day. The Cardinals definitely game planned to run & throw short to mid range passes. Even Allen only
attempted a couple of long passes. Even all the Bills fans said to me all day that they had no clue Murray was as good as he was.

Plus there was the bunny Wilson dropped in the 4th quarter PA!

I don't know if you've seen the replay on that one, but it was a 25 yard laser to the sideline right in Wilson's breadbasket!

How deflating for our QB1 to do everything right in a clutch moment, and then not get the payoff from his teammate!

Thank you so much for supporting the Cardinals yesterday, and I think we still have some hope for this year! Hope you agree!

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Johnny Venerable
@JohnnyVenerable
·
25m

Mack Wilson Sr. (87.9) and Zaven Collins (85.8) were the two highest graded Arizona Cardinal defenders vs Buffalo, per @PFF.Both flashed on an otherwise tough day for AZ's front-7.
Would love to see the grades on our D-Line. Rousseau made me so jealous...imagine having that kind of disruptive force on our team.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Third, a good QB, one in his 6th year and getting paid $45m a year is thinking pre snap "My #4 overall pick WR is 1 vs 1, maybe I can get the CB to bit on a pump fake to Dortch to open him up".

Douglass awful decision in the moment doesn't make it a bad decision on the QB. Dortch would need to be spread out more to make that a more obvious decision as to what you are saying. Douglass has no reason to be jumping near the middle of the field.

And as Dan said by the time KM works his way back that ball is possibly tipped or int. It would need to be thrown to the back pylon and MHJ already stopped his momentum as well.

Just unfortunate we didn't capitalize on a blown coverage

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he should have thrown it to MHJ at the point he comes off going left but I don't buy at all your presnap read comment it was NOT single coverage he had the safety over the top, he's in a position where he can help on either Dortch or MHJ although obviously if Kyler puts the ball down the right sideline it's unlikely the safety can get there. The safety vacates because of the pump fake to Dortch, but pre snap the safety is doing what they did all game, playing over the top of MHJ.

I also am not sure I agree on the line of sight comment, because the reason Kyler didn't throw to Dortch, as he explains, is the defender jumps just as he's about to throw it. That defender didn't vanish into thin air after he jumped he continued to rush from that side. If you watch after that, there's 3 pass rushers to Kylers right including the guy who jumped, and Von Miller who was killing Beachum the 2nd half, there's only 2 pass rushers to his left, the OL as pointed out shifted to his left. Also I think the RB is Conner and Kyler likely assumes that Conner is going to release so he's thinking look left, nobody is open come back to Conner. But because that free runner that jumped was in there, Conner can't release.

If you freeze that play later there's 5 pass rushers and 6 guys in coverage 3 on each side. We have Wilson and McBride against 3 defenders on the left, MHJ and Dortch on 3 defenders on the right. The only guy that's open is MHJ, he's WIDE open but Kyler is still looking left when that happens. You can see as he comes off the left he looks middle, again I THINK he expects Conner will be there but James had to stay in or Kyler would have been sacked.

WHere I think the best argument is if MHJ is truly going to be our #1 WR, then Kyler should have waited longer looking right before coming off to look left but again I think the blocking dictated that he figured he had to move left because there's only 2 pass rushers on that side, the problem is that took him away from the guy who ends up wide open.

I still think he should have seen him but I do agree with Orlovsky it's not quite as glaring as the still pic makes it seem.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus there was the bunny Wilson dropped in the 4th quarter PA!

I don't know if you've seen the replay on that one, but it was a 25 yard laser to the sideline right in Wilson's breadbasket!

How deflating for our QB1 to do everything right in the clutch, and then not get the payoff from his teammate!

Thank you so much for supporting the Cardinals yesterday, and I think we still have some hope for this year! Hope you agree!
To do everything right in the clutch? Down 31-28, we had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead and Kyler got two balls batted down and then took a sack when someone sneezed on him.

Then he totally boofed a wide open Harrison TD.

writing that he did everything right in the clutch is devoid or reality, terrible drop by Wilson or not.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

btw: i am not buying Dan O's 100% absolution on Kyler, but it sure isnt the cut and dried bad play some are pushing. Next, I want to see the all 22 of the final play to see if there was a better option there

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
WOW!

Or he could have, you know, not bailed and hit the guy running wide open who is directly in his sight line. This was a bad miss by KM and exactly one of his bad habits that has plagued him his entire career.