Cardinals at Broncos PS gameday thread 8-25-24

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Y’all’s threshold for what constitutes “hitting the panic button” is extremely low. Twelve quarters of dire football isn’t really a concern, but it is kind of a bummer.

Many of these same folks will be saying that it doesn’t actually matter if we start 1-3 because the team is so young blah blah blah.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Y’all’s threshold for what constitutes “hitting the panic button” is extremely low. Twelve quarters of dire football isn’t really a concern, but it is kind of a bummer.

Many of these same folks will be saying that it doesn’t actually matter if we start 1-3 because the team is so young blah blah blah.
The tone around here will change dramatically after we curb stomp Buffalo in week one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On some level sure we can wait. What I see though, are the backups being completely outclassed by opposing backups.

So any injuries are going to be really rough. The belly of this team is still pretty soft
And being compared to Denver is a nice litmus test. Denver also went into a rebuild when they hired Payton. And they didn't have Murray. Interesting to see how they end up at the end of the year and how it compares to AZ.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping one of the draft picks at CB would pop and contribute at a high level immediately. Those guys played but each one had some struggles. Again, it looked like players who need time. And that includes Melton.

I was hoping Monti was to going to demonstrate more of a knack at getting players past round 1 who would be really good for game 1. Other teams do that, we just don't.

I don't know. All is not lost like you are making out.

I like what I have seen from Benson and think if something happens to JC there will be little drop-off at RB.

Tip looked really good blocking in the limited time he played in the preseason. I think he will contribute early.

The Rabbit looks like he will get some playing time even though he is stuck behind Budda and JT.

Xavier Thomas has shown some flashes and will get opportunities to contribute early.

As for the other rookies:

Xavier Weaver looks like he may have earned a backup role at WR and KR

Melton looks like he needs a little more seasoning before he gets significant playing time.

Adams has looked really good in the running game. He just needs to work on his pass protection a litte. I think he will be fine.

Christian Jones really struggled his first couple of preseason games. I'm not writing him off just yet though.

Elijah Jones hasn't shown me anything to say he has earned a roster spot. I'm guessing it's practice squad at best for him.

Palmer has had flashes at WR but I think he was outplayed by fellow rookie Weaver. Maybe a practice squad guy but no guarantees.

Davis looks OK at CB but he is stuck behind a bunch of players. His only chance of sticking around is the practice squad which I would be fine with.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I like what I have seen from Benson and think if something happens to JC there will be little drop-off at RB.

Tip looked really good blocking in the limited time he played in the preseason. I think he will contribute early.

The Rabbit looks like he will get some playing time even though he is stuck behind Budda and JT.

Xavier Thomas has shown some flashes and will get opportunities to contribute early.

Melton looks like he needs a little more seasoning before he gets significant playing time.

Adams has looked really good in the running game. He just needs to work on his pass protection a litte. I think he will be fine.

Christian Jones really struggled his first couple of preseason games. I'm not writing him off just yet though.

Elijah Jones hasn't shown me anything to say he has earned a roster spot. I'm guessing it's practice squad at best for him.

Palmer has had flashes at WR but I think he was outplayed by fellow rookie Weaver. Maybe a practice squad guy but no guarantees.

Davis looks OK at CB but he is stuck behind a bunch of players. He only chance of sticking around is the practice squad which I would be fine with.
A couple thoughts on this.

1 - You aren't wrong.

2 - A big issue is the quality of the roster around these players. If guys aren't making this roster, they look like pretty big misses because the competition is not very good at most positions.

3 - The other issue is the slow burn of the rebuild. If these players aren't hitting out of the gate, a slow process gets slower, and that generally leads to people getting fired.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Loved Tombstone lol! But, you’re the one who’s freaking out over losing a meaningless preseason game playing our 3rd & 4th stringers. That has Frances written all over it.
just watched the wyatt earp and the cowboy war doc on netflix - kinda made me mad at the movie lol

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Final score is deceptive. Game wasn't that close. Outside of Weaver there was very little to get excited about.
That said most of those guys will be working at McDonalds or Wendys very soon.
But at least they'll have stories to tell when they're sitting around the bar in 20 years.. "Did I ever tell you about the time I played in the NFL?"

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL preseason is the biggest rip off in sports - utter trash the NFL is rolling out there

In the distant past at least you would get to see the starters for a Series or two during the preseason games. Now you barely get to see the backups. I ended up watching every snap of the last preseason game because I wanted to be able to talk about what I saw on this board. However it was painful to watch, even for me, when I knew that most of the players on the field wouldn't be in the NFL in two days.

The NFL is really going to have a hard time justifying charging for these games when more and more teams keep all of their starters out for the entire preseason.

My wife asked if we should go to one of the preseason games this year. I told her no way. It's not worth it even if the tickets were free. I'm not going to deal with the headache of getting to the game only to watch players who might be bagging my groceries in a couple of weeks. I feel for Season Ticket owner who are still forced to buy this trash. It's just another reason I no longer own season tickets.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the distant past at least you would get to see the starters for a Series or two during the preseason games. Now you barely get to see the backups. I ended up watching every snap of the last preseason game because I wanted to be able to talk about what I saw on this board. However it was painful to watch even for me when I knew that most of the players on the field wouldn't be in the NFL in two days.

The NFL is really going to have a hard time justifying charging for these games when more and more teams keep all of their starters out for the entire preseason.

My wife asked if we should go to one of the preseason games this year. I told her no way. It's not worth it even if the tickets were free. I'm not going to deal with the headache of getting to the game only to watch players who might be bagging my groceries in a couple of weeks. I feel for Season Ticket owner who are still forced to buy this trash. It's just another reason I no longer own season tickets.
Nahhh when you’re the big boy on the block you can do what you want. Sad but true. Still was 30,000-40,000 people in that stadium yesterday in Denver… While not fulll still plenty of people showing they’ll go regardless. The NFL doesn’t need to justify any of it fans still pay for the season ticket package in droves. Now that being said it is dumb and a total rip off. Heck they charge an arm and a leg for the PB which is now basically a flag football exhibition. It’s PATHETIC

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Kyle Vandenbosch on 98.7 this morning:

#1. The backup QB is probably not on this roster but Tune slightly outplayed Ridder but that isn't saying much.

#2. In every preseason game and in all facets of the game, our 2s and 3s got bad outplayed. He went into this off season thinking that the floor of the team had been built it. It ha not been.

#3. Heavily disagrees with sitting non QB rookies during preseason. They should be playing to get experience. The one rookie we had get hurt was in practice so protecting them isn't necessarily helping them.

This is a Cardinals team employee folks.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Kyle Vandenbosch on 98.7 this morning:

#1. The backup QB is probably not on this roster but Tune slightly outplayed Ridder but that isn't saying much.

#2. In every preseason game and in all facets of the game, our 2s and 3s got bad outplayed. He went into this off season thinking that the floor of the team had been built it. It ha not been.

#3. Heavily disagrees with sitting non QB rookies during preseason. They should be playing to get experience. The one rookie we had get hurt was in practice so protecting them isn't necessarily helping them.

This is a Cardinals team employee folks.
Well reference #3 we just had a rookie have a possible serious injury yesterday in the game…. Semantics but true

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Davis looks OK at CB but he is stuck behind a bunch of players. His only chance of sticking around is the practice squad which I would be fine with.al
I don't really disagree with any of that. Other than Adams. I would say he played worse than that. But, he is a project. All that postdraft talk about how we maybe got an immediate starter with Adams was not realistic. Maybe he will be a very good starter, All Pro someday? But, you can say that about everyone not named Harrison, which is a little disappointing.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was especially frustrated about Benson and Reiman not playing. They aren't even starters.
Didn’t Benson get dinged in game 2? I think he did in the game thread people were worried about it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was especially frustrated about Benson and Reiman not playing. They aren't even starters.
Well, Gannon obviously has a different philosophy on preseason than basically the rest of the NFL. I bet no one played their starters, and 2nd team even, less than we did.

If we beat Buffalo, he looks smart. If we start 0-4 and look bad most of the time, then his job should be on the line already.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Benson get dinged in game 2? I think he did in the game thread people were worried about it.
I haven't seen anything official on that. Who knows?