Cardinals at Broncos PS gameday thread 8-25-24

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
That was beyond awful to watch. Going to need something strong to get the taste out of my mouth. Looking forward to the start of the season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, this defense is absolute trash. If Kyler gets this team to 8 wins he should be in the MVP conversation
Has the first team defense even played a series this preseason? Can we at least play a few real games before we completely trash this team? There’s no quick fixes when you completely gut a team looking to build something sustainable.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Sir.... With all due respect, If you saw ANYTHING encouraging about this team at any point in these pre-season games.....You may need to have not only your eyes, but your sanity checked by professionals. I am concerned about your well-being my friend.
Watched 1st half. I liked Hayes' runblocking

SOCALCARD

Veteran
Reaction score
Watched 1st half. I liked Hayes' runblocking
I guess I shouldn't be so pessimistic. The pilots that flew the plane responsible for transporting the Cardinals didn't crash. So there's a bright spot in the Cardinals organization you could point out.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weaver was the lone bright spot. This team has little depth.
Undrafted guy outplaying drafted guys.

These guys might still be good, but heading into the draft I felt good about getting a couple day 1 starters/rotational players possibly in the 3rd round. Seems they have a ways to go.
Melton struggled more vs the run than I thought he would.
Curious how much he plays week 1.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't be so pessimistic. The pilots that flew the plane responsible for transporting the Cardinals didn't crash. So there's a bright spot in the Cardinals organization you could point out.
I get your point, but the way JG uses the pre-season it's impossible to judge anything on these games.

Hayes looked good in Run-blocking, Thomas and Luketa looks better than the 3rd stringers they were playing. I like Weaver enough to have him make the 53 as the 6th WR.

It's impossible to say anything more than these tidbits. E.g. Hall showed something in the first games playing next to 2nd stringers. How can you evaluate him when he is put in next to 3rd stringer and players that weren't on the team 6 days ago

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the first team defense even played a series this preseason? Can we at least play a few real games before we completely trash this team? There’s no quick fixes when you completely gut a team looking to build something sustainable.

On some level sure we can wait. What I see though, are the backups being completely outclassed by opposing backups.

So any injuries are going to be really rough. The belly of this team is still pretty soft

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Nope. Neither on first team O and D has a player played a single down apart from the two 1st rounder, that got 4 and 11 snaps respectively.

The closest apart from them would probably Sterling Thomas and Max Melton that are competing for starting nickel D roles - Willimas expected to slide to slot with either going outside.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Final score is deceptive. Game wasn't that close. Outside of Weaver there was very little to get excited about.
That said most of those guys will be working at McDonalds or Wendys very soon.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Final score is deceptive. Game wasn't that close. Outside of Weaver there was very little to get excited about.
That said most of those guys will be working at McDonalds or Wendys very soon.
Agree, the difference was abysmal their third/fourth string guys looked all pro compared to their opponents
Our scouting department failed to fill the roster
Im also concerned about the level of competition they brought into the training camp
They should definitely watch at the waiver line and add a bunch of players

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Neither on first team O and D has a player played a single down apart from the two 1st rounder, that got 4 and 11 snaps respectively.

The closest apart from them would probably Sterling Thomas and Max Melton that are competing for starting nickel D roles - Willimas expected to slide to slot with either going outside.
I was hoping one of the draft picks at CB would pop and contribute at a high level immediately. Those guys played but each one had some struggles. Again, it looked like players who need time. And that includes Melton.

I was hoping Monti was to going to demonstrate more of a knack at getting players past round 1 who would be really good for game 1. Other teams do that, we just don't.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I beg to differ Sir. I dont believe I am the one with my panties all bunched up and in a twist. (Said in my best Val Kilmer, Doc Holiday voice from "Tombstone")
Loved Tombstone lol! But, you’re the one who’s freaking out over losing a meaningless preseason game playing our 3rd & 4th stringers. That has Frances written all over it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On some level sure we can wait. What I see though, are the backups being completely outclassed by opposing backups.

So any injuries are going to be really rough. The belly of this team is still pretty soft
I don’t disagree that the D is still a work in progress. But, it’ll still be much better than last year. Next years draft is a defensive one, so we’ll continue to get better on that side of the ball. Preseason is vanilla, vanilla, vanilla.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No clue. A rookie for sure who gets bent out of shape over a preseason game played with 4th stringers lol.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree, the difference was abysmal their third/fourth string guys looked all pro compared to their opponents
Our scouting department failed to fill the roster
Im also concerned about the level of competition they brought into the training camp
They should definitely watch at the waiver line and add a bunch of players
Do remember last year when the Raiders destroyed the 49ers to the tune of 34-7? Of course you don't, it was only a preseason game.

Teams are evaluating different things during preseason games. One difference, the Broncos played a lot of 2nd string players this game. While we had a couple 2nd stringers in early, we mostly had guys on the roster bubble/guaranteed cuts out there from the jump

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't know why you would let your hair get on fire over this game, I looked at the rushing stats and went, who?

Best I can figure, the team has a pretty good idea of who the first and second string is and wanted to take a look at the bottom of the roster.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don't know why you would let your hair get on fire over this game, I looked at the rushing stats and went, who?

Best I can figure, the team has a pretty good idea of who the first and second string is and wanted to take a look at the bottom of the roster.

Yeah pretty hilarious that people are pushing the panic button over the 3rd preseason game! lol.

Last edited: