Cardinals at Commanders gameday thread 9-10-23

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Eagles roster has 24 players who were drafted in the 5th round or later or were undrafted free agents.
Right. The research I found last week that discussed late round hit rates pointed out how few late round guys hit, but even fewer hit with the team they were drafted at.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doing some quick digging, here is what I found. (and I am not a data scientist)

Chauncey Gardner Johnson was acquired for a conditional 6th.

Zadarius Smith was acquired for a 5th.

Jets acquired Chuck Clark from the Ravens for a 7th.

49ers traded up 13 spots in the 3rd round for a 5th and and 7th.

Lions moved up 26 spots from the 4th to the 3rd round for two 5th rounders.

Saints moved up 12 spots in the 4th round for a 5th.

Falcons rolled the dice on Jeff Okudah for a 5th.

Brandin Cooks has acquired for a 5th and a 6th.

TE Jonnu Smith was traded for a 7th.

Shaq Mason and a 7th was traded for a 6th.

Stephon Gilmore was acquired for a 5th.

Raiders traded up 3 spots in round 2 for a 5th.

###

Seems like you can do a bunch of things with 5th round picks.
thanks for that, some pretty good names on that list. It does appear there is some value in a 5th round pick, just have to get a little lucky. Given that QB is a premium position, I'm not sure that I'm necessarily surprised we had to give up a 5th for Dobbs.

I'll give Dobbs another week before I write him off as a waste of a 5th round pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That one deep throw, really the only one Dobbs made over 20 yards, Wilson tried to go up and stab it out of the air but didn't touch it. How many times did DHop make that exact catch on a similar throw by Kyler? It was still 17-16 at the moment and would've put us in FG range in one play.

The wr room might actually be the least productive one on the team. I thought it would be the cornerbacks and defensive secondary overall. But that unit actually looked better than the WRs as a whole.

That throw was way high. Nobody was catching that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No but it isn't the same as trading away your lone 5th round pick.
Maybe. I would rather keep the 5th for something more than a scrub QB on a 1 year deal in a year we have built a roster to not compete. That has been my position since they made the deal. Blough could have done a comparable job based upon his career and cost nothing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe. I would rather keep the 5th for something more than a scrub QB on a 1 year deal in a year we have built a roster to not compete. That has been my position since they made the deal. Blough could have done a comparable job based upon his career and cost nothing.
Maybe so.

I think that any coaching staff is going to want a QB they know in this situation. I think you're vastly underrating this concept.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think Blough would've done better than Dobbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't stick any labels on Dobbs yet. It's game 1 with a team he's been with a couple of weeks. He had his 1st practice 13 days before the game. What's that maybe 6 to 8 practice sessions with them?

People just spent all season saying this was going to be the worst team only to find they actually had a lot of promise.

Dobbs didn't play well, but I'd give him a couple more games before making a determination.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wouldn't stick any labels on Dobbs yet. It's game 1 with a team he's been with a couple of weeks. He had his 1st practice 13 days before the game. What's that maybe 6 to 8 practice sessions with them?

People just spent all season saying this was going to be the worst team only to find they actually had a lot of promise.

Dobbs didn't play well, but I'd give him a couple more games before making a determination.
I do think he could play better with more prep time, certainly, but how much is the question.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Dobbs was worse than bad and has been so his entire NFL career - if he were on a different I'm pretty sure you'd have a completely different take

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This

To add to the conversation Zappe was put on waivers and we could have picked him up for nothing

I know he is not a mobile QB, but he can make the throws

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dobbs was worse than bad and has been so his entire NFL career - if he were on a different I'm pretty sure you'd have a completely different take
Every option is a bad option a week before the season starts. At that point the most logical option is to pick someone the play caller knows.

This isn't arcane.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

DOBBS - yds per pass: 4.4

CONNORS - yds per carry: 4.4

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is some professional level excuse making right here
What excuse is being made?

Dobbs sucked, and the situation overall sucked.

You're idea that Tune would have looked any better is pretty damn ridiculous. Tune made a few nice preseason throws, but generally sucked against guys on practice squads.

Talk about a dumb idea.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I have said several times that it isn't the end of the world, but it is still a waste of a pick that has value.

I hated the move then and I hate it now.

TBF - it's not a bad trade IF Dobbs was actually any good. It makes sense - 5th round pick for a guy familiar with the offense that could come in and lead the team like a veteran.

Most people knew he sucked and he showed it in week 1 - that is the problem. Along with our OC thinking it was a good idea and maybe pushing that we do it.

I don't fault Monti as much (still hate it) - you give your coaches players they believe in and say they can win with. Petzing lost credibility IMO.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather see Tune out there getting outplayed but taking some licks and learning in the role rather than Dobbs who has no long-term future with the team (IMHO). Still shaking my head at bringing him in rather than dumping Colt to go forward in Kyler's absence with Tune and/or Blough.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What excuse is being made?

Dobbs sucked, and the situation overall sucked.

You're idea that Tune would have looked any better is pretty damn ridiculous. Tune made a few nice preseason throws, but generally sucked against guys on practice squads.

Talk about a dumb idea.
Giving a 5th for Dobbs came with excuses
Starting Dobbs came with excuses
Dobbs dismal performance came with excuses

Then you topped it off with the ku de gra there was nothing else we could do excuse

It's okay man

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It got old hearing about how an Arizona sports star was in the Commanders owner's suite. Guess the national announcers thought that was a big deal.