Coro says this may be the Suns we see next season!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With Hill's agreement, Channing Frye's imminent signing, Nash's contract extension progress and intentions to keep Stoudemire (but not with a maximum extension), the plan to press ahead with a similar personnel and system is clearing up. The Suns don't have have any illusions of winning the West over the Lakers or Spurs but feel they can be in the middle of the Western Conference playoff group with this team.

A 12-man roster has taken shape with one opening for an inexpensive free agent or second-round pick Taylor Griffin. Frye's offense could even slip into the starting lineup alongside Stoudemire instead over Robin Lopez's defense.

I am thinking they will NOT sign another player and add to the 2010 cap space. My thinking is the guys we have now, minus Pavlivic and Wallace, are it! For better or worse, enjoy these Phoenix Suns next season!

Edit: Look for Sarver and Kerr to be on the golf course somewhere tomorrow since their work is done for this off season.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they plan on using Frye and Lopez at C, then they should get a back-up PF in case Amar'e goes down, someone inexpensive like Wilcox or Gooden who still is available.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hopefully some of the Suns fans who were "keen" to do all these moves to make the Suns better understand...

Outside of Dwayne Wade being traded for Jason Richardson.... Suns will not beat Lakers, Spurs... or heck Nuggets, Jazz out West alone.

You can add in all the overrated bigs and put up various 'dream' lineups of Dalembert, Chandler etc.... still not good enough..

Just a way to waste $$$$ and lose flexibility.... to be fodder for those teams. Suns are stuck as a playoff contender..

Thats why I so so want to set the Suns up in 3 years time by obtaining young players now.. who can blossom.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
So this is the start of the "one more year" spin? That didn't take long

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is a fundamental contradiction between these two statements:

"We can be in the middle of the Western Conference playoff pack."

"We haven't decided yet whether Channing Frye or Robin Lopez is in our starting lineup."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team must be in really deep financial difficulties. Given the present economic situation, it will be interesting to see how much less than max Amare will sign for.

Players pouting about not getting the max seem a little absurd in this environment. Brandon Roy is demanding a max deal in Portland.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a fundamental contradiction between these two statements:

"We can be in the middle of the Western Conference playoff pack."

"We haven't decided yet whether Channing Frye or Robin Lopez is in our starting lineup."

After Amare's comments on wednesday at AZCentral (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/57334) it sounds like Amare is planning to play center.

If Clark can play NBA D, a frontline of Hill, Clark, Amare might provide some offensive/defensive balance. Then you can let Clark focus on D and his offense can develop slowly.

Frye can come off the bench at the 4/5.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So we are looking at an off-season of:

Subtractions:
  • Shaquille O'Neal
  • Matt Barnes
  • Stromile Swift

Additions:
  • Channing Frye
  • Earl Clark (rookie)
  • Taylor Griffin (rookie)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So we are looking at an off-season of:

Subtractions:
  • Shaquille O'Neal
  • Matt Barnes
  • Stromile Swift

Additions:
  • Channing Frye
  • Earl Clark (rookie)
  • Taylor Griffin (rookie)

You could add Amare to the additions list. We only saw one game of Amare with Gentry.

IMO this team can win 50 games and be a 6 or 7 seed.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still think you would need to bring in at least 1 more big. Wilcox or Gooden could start at PF if Amar'e starts at C and they could be had for cheap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think you would need to bring in at least 1 more big. Wilcox or Gooden could start at PF if Amar'e starts at C and they could be had for cheap.

I think that a backcourt defender is more of a necessity than a big.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
A rebounder/defender is totally more needed than a backcourt player.

Our frontcourt will outscore their frontcourt. Our backcourt will outscore their backcourt. We just need rebounding to make sure the misses dont turn into baskets for the opposing team.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
A rebounder/defender is totally more needed than a backcourt player.

Our frontcourt will outscore their frontcourt. Our backcourt will outscore their backcourt. We just need rebounding to make sure the misses dont turn into baskets for the opposing team.

Assuming Amare stays healthy, I believe the Suns will do much better than most think. Amare will want to prove he's the "man" sort of like Joe Jonson did when he wasn't offered a max deal and was told to show that he was worth the max. The lack of other teams willing to give up much in return will add to his determination to prove how good he is and how much he's worth. Unless he is really stupid, he knows that his lack of rebounding and defense are the points that come up when evaluating his value. We've all seen occasional bursts of ability in rebounding and blocking shots - I think since he will be trying to prove he's worth the max, that he will show up on both ends of the court this year and some team will offer him a max deal (perhaps Atlanta). Everyone can the call Sarver a cheap sob for not extending Amare for the max when he had the chance.

HooverDam

Reaction score

The Suns frontcourt is going to outscore every other teams, as is our backcourt...remind me again how it is the Suns are going to lose this season?

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think that a backcourt defender is more of a necessity than a big.

Didn't we send Daryl Strawberry's kid away, and he was supposed to be a good defender? I think the Suns were dreaming Barbosa's long arms and quickness would equate to our backcourt defender. One can only hope!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns definitely need another center or a PF that can play center if nothing else but for insurance. I'm not sold on Lopez and Frye at center. Hopefully the contracts of Wallace or Pavlovic can conjure up one. Presently the Suns are going to be soft in the middle defensively.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Didn't we send Daryl Strawberry's kid away, and he was supposed to be a good defender? I think the Suns were dreaming Barbosa's long arms and quickness would equate to our backcourt defender. One can only hope!

I think we miss his girlfriend most of all.

Kerr and Co. are just slapping touch-up paint on a jalopy that needs a major overhaul. The sooner it gets done the sooner this team can start building back to contention again.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why the hell is the wallace/chandler deal a problem for sarver? Seriously I'm having a hard ass time trying to find the downside:

1) Money: Wallace has 1 yr 14 million, chandler has 2 years/24 million. I could understand if chandler had multiple years, but he has just one extra year. Don't know what wallace's buyout could be, but Money Bags sarver is saving how much, 12-14 million? If chandler is healthy isn't that worth it to make the suns a potentially dangerous team.

2) health: if the suns have serious concerns chandler's injury is longterm then i agree don't do the deal. otherwise what's the hold up? last year was the first time in 5 years he missed significant time, it's not like he has a history of injuries.