Darius Robinson injured

KiwiCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Probably not the ideal place for this, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Many complaining that Monti has done a poor job on the edge group (I agree) however in his defense it is a very slim portfolio of difference makers in that position and it is a difference maker we need in that position. Notable players that have been available recently that we have missed out on - and i don't think all of these are difference makers fyi;

Brian Burns - 46 Sacks over 5 years - Between 7.5 - 12.5 sacks per year. Traded for a 2024 second-round draft choice (No. 39) and a 2025 fifth-round selection and agreeing to a swap of fifth rounders this year (the Giants getting No. 166 and sending No. 141 to Carolina). Subsequently given a new contract 141 million, 28.2 per, 76.5m fully guaranteed.

Danielle Hunter - 87.5 sacks over 8 Years. FA signing of 2 years 49m, 48m fully guaranteed

Montez Sweat - 41.5 Sacks over 6 years - Never had a double digit sack year. Traded for a 2024 2nd. 98m, 24.5 per, 42m fully guaranteed

Jonathan Greenard - 23 Sacks in 4 years - 1 year above 10 sacks. FA signing of 4 years, 19 per, 38 fully guaranteed

Hassan Reddick - 58 Sacks in 7 years - However 50.5 in last 4 years - Traded for a 2026 3rd

Of the above my thoughts are - Burns and Sweat are overpaid, Hunter good value plus short term commitment. Greenard a risk given his production mainly came from one year.

In regards to Reddick whose name has popped up a few times. Jets don't seem to be willing to re up his contract at his current demands - they gave up a third so for arguments sake lets say we gave them a third back for him.

In terms of a contract extension I would assume he wants something around the Burns deal (maybe not as many years) otherwise the Jets likely would have extended him. Would you be happy to give Reddick 112m 4 years 28 per with 60m guaranteed?

**Contract Numbers from OTC and stats from ESPN- apologies if any are wrong

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Keim signings were multi year contracts to overpriced vets who got in the way of young player development. This is none of those things.

(also let's not forget how Keim liked to spread cap hits over multiple years which consistently led to dead cap space but that had nothing to do with the player)
Wait didn't we have a salary cap guru of some sort back in those days? Maybe we still do but let's hope it wasn't the dude SK worked with.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You said he "reportedly sucked". I had never heard this reported before, in fact I read that he was one of the bright spots from the draft class, so I asked whether you had a link to these "reports" so I could have a better understanding of what to expect from the rookie, since the only time I've seen him is a bit in the preseason games.

You then said that on podcasts the entire "rookie class" was described as "mid" - a favorite term of yours (and almost no one else's) on here. When I ask for clarification, I'm a "lawyer"... because that's the only alternative to your admitting that there were in fact no "reports" that he sucked, and that you had come to that conclusion on your own.

Jeebus, indeed!

So, please enlighten us... did the entire rookie class "reportedly suck"?
Stumped him.

Kerouac's Madden Rating is a 52. He sucks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Many complaining that Monti has done a poor job on the edge group (I agree) however in his defense it is a very slim portfolio of difference makers in that position and it is a difference maker we need in that position.
I kind of disagree with this take. A difference-maker would be great, but I’d have settled for a Josh Jones-quality player at edge. Instead we ran back last year’s group with a sprinkling of an off ball linebacker who couldn’t get much PT for the pats.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Stumped him.

Kerouac's Madden Rating is a 52. He sucks.
52??
Dude, buy your cheap ass a new Madden...you still playing 2010... K9 aged out of 52 years ago!!

The only reason he is still a 40 is because he didnt join in on the colonoscopy discussion with the rest of us.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know what those 3 are at their stages. Those are 3 rather mediocre players that are proven liabilities rather than reliabilities. That is what a #KeimTeim signing is to me.
I get it. Most of those players do nothing for the long term trajectory but where I disagree is I believe they are more competent and potentially would have set our young DB room for a better chance for success.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I get it. Most of those players do nothing for the long term trajectory but where I disagree is I believe they are more competent and potentially would have set our young DB room for a better chance for success.
Agreed. And anything more than a walking corpse of an edge room might help us edge into the playoffs.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
52??
Dude, buy your cheap ass a new Madden...you still playing 2010... K9 aged out of 52 years ago!!

The only reason he is still a 40 is because he didnt join in on the colonoscopy discussion with the rest of us.
BTW, mine went well yesterday. lol The anesthesiologist, a young lady, just entered her first FFL and we chatted about her draft and lineup until she knocked me out...haha Honestly put me at ease.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BTW, mine went well yesterday. lol The anesthesiologist, a young lady, just entered her first FFL and we chatted about her draft and lineup until she knocked me out...haha Honestly put me at ease.
I’m happy for you. I have a brother in-law who is battling stage 4 colon cancer which has spread to other organs.

He told me his one regret was he didn’t listen to me when I told him when he turned 50 to get his colonoscopy. He waited until he was 56 by then it was too late for him.

It’s been tough for me to watch him die.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m happy for you. I have a brother in-law who is battling stage 4 colon cancer which has spread to other organs.

He told me his one regret was he didn’t listen to me when I told him when he turned 50 to get his colonoscopy. He waited until he was 56 by then it was too late for him.

Well, that’s awful. Very sorry to hear that.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, this back and forth is just that: back and forth. We will not know how good the defense or offense is until the season starts. My guess is that there’s a 3 year plan to get the Cards to the playoffs, and we’re in season 2. We’ll be better than season 1 and not as good as we’ll be in season 3. I like the fact we’re developing young players and not relying on aging veterans to fill holes.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So, so sorry to hear that. I had an attack of diverticulitis back when I was 40, so I’ve been having colonoscopies every 5 years since. My wife and daughter are both nurses, so they don’t let me lapse on anything these days. I’ll keep your BIL in my prayers!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Well, this back and forth is just that: back and forth. We will not know how good the defense or offense is until the season starts. My guess is that there’s a 3 year plan to get the Cards to the playoffs, and we’re in season 2. We’ll be better than season 1 and not as good as we’ll be in season 3. I like the fact we’re developing young players and not relying on aging veterans to fill holes.
I like this summary...

It's right on the head. As of now Monti has completely overhauled the roster. He looks to have a really good hit rate in his first draft. High-level he also looks to to hit his 2nd draft, despite some of the choices being not the consensus pick.

But as you say, we have no clue and probably will not have until mid-season. I love the fact that Monti has infused the roster with young talent, but as of now we do not know if PJJ will be elite, if Wilson will be as good as expected, if Williams is a starting CB material, how DR looks in live games, if Melton is ready, how much Reiman will be involved, if Benson is the future, if Adams will.

Potential is there, especially on offense, but as you say. NO CLUE

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like this summary...

It's right on the head. As of now Monti has completely overhauled the roster. He looks to have a really good hit rate in his first draft. High-level he also looks to to hit his 2nd draft, despite some of the choices being not the consensus pick.

But as you say, we have no clue and probably will not have until mid-season. I love the fact that Monti has infused the roster with young talent, but as of now we do not know if PJJ will be elite, if Wilson will be as good as expected, if Williams is a starting CB material, how DR looks in live games, if Melton is ready, how much Reiman will be involved, if Benson is the future, if Adams will.

Potential is there, especially on offense, but as you say. NO CLUE
At this point it’s all we have, some potential and a box of chocolates:)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great football take.
It is a football take. Monti’s high-level 2023 rookie class resulted in a 4-13 record and the anticipated good players in the 2024 rookie class either didn’t play in the preseason or are on injured reserve.

People buying the Tip Reiman hype are going to be EXTREMELY surprised once the season starts.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It is a football take. Monti’s high-level 2023 rookie class resulted in a 4-13 record and the anticipated good players in the 2024 rookie class either didn’t play in the preseason or are on injured reserve.

People buying the Tip Reiman hype are going to be EXTREMELY surprised once the season starts.
Using your logic… Are you saying Felix Anudike-Uzomah was the Steal of last year’s draft? His arrival to the Chiefs did result in a SuperBowl win.

Also. I didn’t get the memo that when doing an early evaluation the 2024 Cardinal draft Class We have to exclude MHJ, DR, Melton, Benson, Rabbit, Xavier Thomas and Weaver.

Last edited: