DG Legacy

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe that were a lot of questions concerning the coaching job DG did in Arizona, but think that the team he left was much better than the one he inherited, record aside. And that assessment is based on the team's talent level and CAP situation. How much credit does Rod Graves get for this, I'm not sure. But a lot of our good players are under contract and, historically for the Cards, that's a big improvement. The record didn't improve and, as they say the bottom line in coaching is W-L, thus DG was let go. And that was, IMO, the right decision. But I'm glad he was here for three years and say thank you, Dennis.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Green's "legacy" was left in Minnesota.

Rohinic

Reaction score
Good point about talent. I hope Whisenhunt brings the Steelers attitude towards acquiring players - namely through draft and development, rather than free agent splashes - to move this team forward. That'd be a novelty!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Green did some good things here, but he deserved to get fired.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Dennis Green's "legacy" was left in Minnesota.

The legacy of losing and having a talentless roster was here with this ownership group long before Dennis Green was on board. He did change the culture and got the team thinking of competing 360 days a year and having them think that you have to win in the off season as well as 16 weeks a season. That is why we have a good cap situation and a talented roster. Dennis Green is responsible for that change and for that he deserves our thanks. I hope things do not revert to the way they were prior to Greens arrival.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green = Wyche in Tampa

Built up talent on a poor team, but couldn't win with it. Dungy comes in and makes the talent win. They needed another coach to get it over the top, but hopefully we have both guys in Whisenhunt.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a positive note -

DG left us with the most talented Cardinal roster I've seen in a long, long while and a more effective approach to the draft.

We can rehash all the bad stuff - I'd be inclined to lump all of that into a general category of "he was instrumental in bringing in good talent; he just didn't develop and organize that talent in a way that resulted in enough W's.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have more real, bonafide NFL players than we've ever had. If Whis is able to win the next couple of years, it'll be because of players Denny landed.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
This team is much better off than before Green got here. His legacy is what got in the way of him here. I believe he was trying to rebirth the Vikings through the Cards. When he first got here it was "Well this is how we were successful with the Vikings and so this is what we're going to do here." I don't think he was ever able to see past his "glory days" and thus wasn't able to adapt to the fact that these are different players and different times. I think it really confused him. Maybe now he's humbled enough to re-evaluate his approach. I wish him well and thanks for putting talent on the team and giving the front office a clue as to how to operate in todays NFL.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05