Diaw in the Post Late

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't know the exact number of times that Diaw had the ball in the low post with an undersized defender on him where he had great position and couldn't finish, but it was too many for the Suns to not to make tie or take the lead from the Spurs.

I think the strategy was great because he kept getting good looks, but the flaw is his inability to finish. Really that was the game breaker at the end.

You have to finish when you have such good low post positioning against a smaller defender. Especially down late in the 4th, or at any time really.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No, the strategy sucks. Would you keep throwing the ball into Sean Marks in the 4th quarter because he has a smaller man on him? Of course not, D'Antoni's coaching today was horrific and the repeated calling of this play was just one of the many reasons.

OP
OP
R

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I would keep throwing the ball to Marks, is he making his shots? I guess you're trying to compare Marks and Diaw. While I see where you're trying to go with this, I disagree with you. Would I rather give the ball to a guy in the low post defended by a smaller defender or continue to take outside shots? I personally would put it the low post.

The point of my original comment was to say that Diaw sucks basically.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm guessing D'Antoni was banking on SA sending a double over at Boris and Boris by nature was looking for it to come but nobody in their right mind would double soft-as-tissue Boris and the last few minutes showed you why.

OP
OP
R

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
Point taken. Those were good opportunities that needed to be taken advantage of. They weren't. I'm not sure that there were better shots available. I don't put that on D'Antoni. I put that on Diaw.

I do though, put the Suns falling flat coming out of the half for the second game on D'Antoni. That's coaching

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
That strategy cost the Suns the game, flat out. Diaw was playing awful and they just kept going to him.

I don't get it, they have Oneal who was playing very well, and Amare who is probably the best low post scorer in the entire world, and they're feeding Diaw? Seriously, what was D'Antoni thinking? Those touches should have gone to Shaq or Amare.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No, the strategy sucks. Would you keep throwing the ball into Sean Marks in the 4th quarter because he has a smaller man on him? Of course not, D'Antoni's coaching today was horrific and the repeated calling of this play was just one of the many reasons.

Comparing Boris Diaw to Sean Marks is #536 of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Diaw is very good at exploiting mismatch downlow. But in this game, the whole team's confidence was shaken and the pressue became too much. And it didn't help that nobody could shoot from outside in the 2nd half. Even Amare got cold.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That strategy cost the Suns the game, flat out. Diaw was playing awful and they just kept going to him.

I don't get it, they have Oneal who was playing very well, and Amare who is probably the best low post scorer in the entire world, and they're feeding Diaw? Seriously, what was D'Antoni thinking? Those touches should have gone to Shaq or Amare.

I agree that we went too much to him, but I don't disagree with trying it to begin with. Any self-respecting fan who knows what they're talking about has seen Diaw play very well in the low post against smaller defenders. Unfortunately, after the third bungling, they should have tried something else, and didn't.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Comparing Boris Diaw to Sean Marks is #536 of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board.
You're smarter than this.

I used Marks to make a point, you don't base your offensive possession around a guy who can't play simply because he is being guarded by a smaller player whether it is Marks or Diaw or postseason Barbosa or whoever.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

was you saying that Marks has earned a spot in the rotation based on his pre-season performance #536? ;)

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
The reason it didn't work, and Eddie Johnson did a great job of calling Diaw out on it, was because everytime he choked he was hesitating or looking to pass.

Never have I seen such high potential wash up at such a young age in the NBA.

If Diaw isn't gone before the start of next season. I am.

Ya hear that Phoenix?!!? D-U-N

OP
OP
R

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree that we went too much to him, but I don't disagree with trying it to begin with. Any self-respecting fan who knows what they're talking about has seen Diaw play very well in the low post against smaller defenders. Unfortunately, after the third bungling, they should have tried something else, and didn't.

Exactly. Those were great opportunities not taken advantage of.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

Oh it was definately a sound idea. My problem is that they didn't realize when it wasn't working and try something else. It was like D'Antoni had it in his head that Diaw was the key and he was going to force that issue no matter what. I would have liked to see him try something else, that's all.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Diaw isn't gone before the start of next season. I am.
Who's going to take on his salary? A passer, in the body of a Small Forward, playing Center. Who is more aggressive in bars in Scottsdale than on the court.

We're stuck with him.

Unless D'Antoni can convince his next team to take him. :)

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
How many shots did Shaq and Amare miss also?

You can't fault Diaw for missing. It happens. He is the best post player the Suns have. And generally he has a nice mismatch with Udoka or Oberto.

Personally, I'd like to see Antoni start Diaw in place of Hill in game 3, utilize Strawberry for 10-15 minutes, and play zone more.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
for game 3 i hope we run the offense through diaw. because on mismatches he can score big time against smaller defenders. i love diaw because he's sooo clutch. did you see how he held that 2nd half together? 5ft looks, wow he nailed them with ease.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many shots did Diaw really miss during that third-quarter stretch? I think he only took one shot and turned the ball over one time on a travel. Every other time he passed out. Let's also not forget that to a degree it was Diaw's defense that allowed the Phoenix Suns to get back into the game in the fourth quarter.

Ultimately I think what is really killing the Phoenix Suns right now is Hill's injury. I mean what a tease the season was. It finally looks like we were going to go into the playoffs completely healthy, and then in the second to last game he pulls his groin basically on a layup. I don't remember hearing about somebody's goat getting turned back at the gate to the arena. Why does it seem this team is cursed?

Joe

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
The strategy was good - Diaw scored a lot in the low post over smaller defenders on Saturday, he just not consistent and confident enough to make it every game. Its a shame but it is what it is.

He played pretty good D on Parker in the fourth though, and was useful in the first half against Oberto.