dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i think going to Diaw EARLY in the game will help the suns,
going to him in the dying moments of the 4th Q won't

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ultimately I think what is really killing the Phoenix Suns right now is Hill's injury. I mean what a tease the season was. It finally looks like we were going to go into the playoffs completely healthy, and then in the second to last game he pulls his groin basically on a layup. I don't remember hearing about somebody's goat getting turned back at the gate to the arena. Why does it seem this team is cursed?

Joe
Who among us didn't expect that Hill and Nash would be tired come the playoffs? Even Bell showed age.

A double-edged sword. The starters got worn out. The bench watched Diaw and Barbosa get most of the remaining minutes and are not playoff ready now. They were left out of the team chemistry.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Who among us didn't expect that Hill and Nash would be tired come the playoffs? Even Bell showed age.

A double-edged sword. The starters got worn out. The bench watched Diaw and Barbosa get most of the remaining minutes and are not playoff ready now. They were left out of the team chemistry.

I guess you didnt read the work injured, replaced it with tired. Sometimes people see only what they want to see, and dont even read the post.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and james jones and rondo and joe johnson and tim thomas

man, can you imagine... Nash, JJ, Marion, Amare, KT, with Barbs, Rondo, Bell, Tim Thomas off the bench? what a shame.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
man, can you imagine... Nash, JJ, Marion, Amare, KT, with Barbs, Rondo, Bell, Tim Thomas off the bench? what a shame.

Don't forget Hill (would have hired for the minimum to play on a 70-win-team), Iguadala and Deng. ;) Not sure, if we would have been able to sign Bell after not sending JJ to Atlanta, though.

Anyway, we could have needed a back-up for KT instead of having all those swingmen. How about trading a couple future first-rounders (those we sent to Seattle and some more) and Iggy+Deng to Orlando for their no 1 pick? :)

Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amaré Stoudemire
Dwight Howard
Leandro Barbosa
Rajon Rondo
Kurt Thomas
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Don't forget Hill (would have hired for the minimum to play on a 70-win-team), Iguadala and Deng. ;) Not sure, if we would have been able to sign Bell after not sending JJ to Atlanta, though.

Anyway, we could have needed a back-up for KT instead of having all those swingmen. How about trading a couple future first-rounders (those we sent to Seattle and some more) and Iggy+Deng to Orlando for their no 1 pick? :)

Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amaré Stoudemire
Dwight Howard
Leandro Barbosa
Rajon Rondo
Kurt Thomas
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell?

iirc, the plan was to bring in Bell to back up JJ not start. The Suns thought they could put together their little book and sign JJ on the cheap.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amaré Stoudemire
Dwight Howard
Leandro Barbosa
Rajon Rondo
Kurt Thomas
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell?

Man with 20/20 like that you couldn't fit in CP3 to back up Nash?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I guess you didnt read the work injured, replaced it with tired. Sometimes people see only what they want to see, and dont even read the post.
You're wrong. I read the post. Now let's get past your personal innuendo.

Weary players are more prone to injury.

Short rotations during the season make the playoffs an add-on to a tired team, rather than being refreshed for the all-important second season, as it called.

Many of us commented on it as the 7-man rotations were prevalent during the season. But a short-sighted Coach clung to his tunnel vision.

Barbosa and Diaw and we respond with a meow . . . rather than a growl. :)

nowagimp

Reaction score
You're wrong. I read the post. Now let's get past your personal innuendo.

:)

Yeah, weary players are prone to appendectomies, huh? Now I know you know more than the suns medical staff, but thats what they said " he reinjured a weak area that resulted from the appendectomy". Read "reinjured", and injury that resulted from the appendectomy that never healed in a 36 year old player in the midst of a playoff fight. Now what was your personal agenda, that "DA sucks"? Your posts are very consistent in this area, even monotonous.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score

Short rotations during the season make the playoffs an add-on to a tired team, rather than being refreshed for the all-important second season, as it called.

Many of us commented on it as the 7-man rotations were prevalent during the season. But a short-sighted Coach clung to his tunnel vision.

Barbosa and Diaw and we respond with a meow . . . rather than a growl. :)

This is just wrong. How do you reach the conclusion that Hill is hurt now because he played too many minutes?

It's really as simple as this:

Question: Was Grant Hill better before or after his appendectomy?
Answer: He was much better before. In fact, if you check the actual statistics, you'll see that he improved from month to month during the beginning of the season, despite the fact that he was playing, in your mind, "too many minutes."

Question: When did Grant Hill injure his groin? After a 2 1/2 week rest, or after playing lots of minutes in game after game after game (your long, grueling season model)?
Answer: He got injured after a prolonged rest.

So, by merely looking at the facts, we can see that Hill got better the more games he played, and that he got worse with too much time off.

Even if you were going to ignore the fact that Grant Hill has raved about the benefits of the between-game rests that he is able to get in Phoenix as compared to his previous teams; even if you neglect to acknowledge the fact that Grant Hill opted to come to Phoenix and be one of the first guys on the team into the gym (rather than resting as much as possible to get ready for the long, grueling season); if you didn't do any research and didn't know that Grant Hill averaged a mere 48 SECONDS MORE this season than last season and still played the most games since 1999-2000... even if you ignored all of that, you would still have to know that he is hurt right now because he got out of shape during recuperation from his appendectomy. Otherwise, you wouldn't be smart.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, weary players are prone to appendectomies, huh? Now I know you know more than the suns medical staff, but thats what they said " he reinjured a weak area that resulted from the appendectomy". Read "reinjured", and injury that resulted from the appendectomy that never healed in a 36 year old player in the midst of a playoff fight.

I'm sure DA's lack of a bench and desperate need to get Hill back had nothing to do with Hill coming back before he was sufficiently healed. It's all a viscious circle.

do you really just think it's a coincidence that the Spurs older guys are always healthy come playoff time and we see a rash of injuries from our guys as the season wears on?

nowagimp

Reaction score
I'm sure DA's lack of a bench and desperate need to get Hill back had nothing to do with Hill coming back before he was sufficiently healed. It's all a viscious circle.

do you really just think it's a coincidence that the Spurs older guys are always healthy come playoff time and we see a rash of injuries from our guys as the season wears on?

Yeah they had no abdominal surgeries on their 36 year olds and yes they have a deeper bench with no rookies. Kerr is responsible for the suns bench players, and he hasnt delivered yet. If hill was 25 I might buy that his injuries were a minutes thing, but I expect a 36 year old may take 6 months to fully recover form abdominal surgery.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they had no abdominal surgeries on their 36 year olds and yes they have a deeper bench with no rookies. Kerr is responsible for the suns bench players, and he hasnt delivered yet. If hill was 25 I might buy that his injuries were a minutes thing, but I expect a 36 year old may take 6 months to fully recover form abdominal surgery.

and Raja exploding calf two years ago and KT's stress fracture? Or Raja's supposed ankle problems this year which haven't healed? This isn't just about Grant Hill. Kerr may be partially responsible for not having bench players, but DA's just as much to blame for the way he completely bungled the 2006 offseason where we just gave away draft picks and whiffed with TT.

again, it's all a vicious circle as far as I'm concerned.

nowagimp

Reaction score

This could be part of the problem, but it also might be partly that a 36 year old takes 3-6 months to recover from an appendectomy and get in NBA shape. NBA athletes have some of the most demanding physical requirements of any athlete in the world.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It looks like you're out-voted in your opinion, Budden and nowagimp.

Tell me, do you really believe that using 7 or 8 players from a 12-man roster and not developing talented rookies is complete coaching?

That's my gripe with D'Antoni. He's one-dimensional. 'Not the way to go all the way.

cly2tw

Reaction score
look at Detroit,
they use their rookies even in the playoffs

Landry, Pope, Rondo, Farmar, Scola, Milsap, Brewer, Bass, Brook, Price ... all excellent to very solid contributor of rookie or 2nd year, who their respective coaches have confidence using in crucial playoff games

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I don't get about Suns fans saying rooks have no business playing on an elite team is the short-term memory loss some of them must have (or they just must be new-bies who only starting following once we got Nash) forgetting how big guys like Dan Majerle (major minutes as a rookie on a WCFinalist) Richard Dumas (starter on a Finalist), Oliver Miller (savior of Game 5 against the Lakers and solid contributor on a Finalist), Elliot Perry (solid backup who had to play a lot of games due to KJ injury on 3rd seed) and Wes Person (starter on 59 win team) played during the 1988-1995 runs through the playoffs.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
To be honest I don't think D'antoni has a problem playing rookies, he has a problem playing anyone who isn't adequate enough on the offensive end for his liking.