Draft Pick Watch

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know people don't like Plumlee, but he rebounds the ball and that translates from college to the pro game. I would be interested in him with a mid to late first round pick if we have one.

Plumlee would be an excellent pick at the end of the 1st round but I have a hard time to see that he will be available after #20.

In fact, it wouldn't be shocking at all if he would be a lottery pick.

He is a good athlete even at NBA standards, rebounds, plays defense, has a good size for a PF. His offensive game (especially jump shoot) needs polish but if his brother could be a 1st rounder, he is definitely a top3 pick :)

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion that we should give a very high priority to defense when selecting our draft picks. If we got a defensive minded assistant coach he could likely help with choosing who we draft. I think it should be a high priority when trading or signing free agents as well. Its harder work if you prioritize defense because there are not a lot of useful stats to screen the guys with - you have to study their play for a significant length of time. Blocked shots is not a bad stat but steals often go hand in hand with 'gambling' more than good defense.

The higher a draft pick is the more you should focus on defensive ability - everyone searches for offensive skills and potential so good defenders slip through the cracks more. Its my experience that defensive potential is not worth much - you wind up getting guys like Barbosa who can't defend worth a tinker's dam.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He reminds me a lot of Michael Beasley. No thanks.
The only similarities that they both have is that they are both left handed and neither is all that explosive. Shabazz is a way better shooter and it's not even close. I think Shabazz will be very good in the NBA and he reminds me quite a bit of Harden minus the passing.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Shabazz will be very good in the NBA and he reminds me quite a bit of Harden minus the passing.

And minus the ball handling, and off hand. He's more like a young Stackhouse right now, but he can develop beyond that.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion that we should give a very high priority to defense when selecting our draft picks. If we got a defensive minded assistant coach he could likely help with choosing who we draft. I think it should be a high priority when trading or signing free agents as well. Its harder work if you prioritize defense because there are not a lot of useful stats to screen the guys with - you have to study their play for a significant length of time. Blocked shots is not a bad stat but steals often go hand in hand with 'gambling' more than good defense.

The higher a draft pick is the more you should focus on defensive ability - everyone searches for offensive skills and potential so good defenders slip through the cracks more. Its my experience that defensive potential is not worth much - you wind up getting guys like Barbosa who can't defend worth a tinker's dam.

We do have a defensive minded assistant coach. My understanding is that is Elston Turner's strength.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shabazz has explosiveness.

He reminds me most of Pierce right now. Goodwin reminds me of Tyreke Evans/hopefully Sprewell.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are not a lot of similarities between Harden and Muhammad except that both are builded like a tank and good outside shooters.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Shabbaz is okay. I wasn't overly impressed with him. He has potential but he could be limited in an NBA setting.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Lakers win tonight against Miami we will know that the idea of getting a second lotto pick was just a mirage.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Guys we're just one Kobe knee sprain away from 2 Top 10 picks- don't give up hope!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I watch Noel he never has the impact on the game his stats suggest. I wouldn't be too thrilled with any of the top pf/c that look to be coming out this year with the exception of maybe Len, and that could be because I haven't seen Len play much(outside the beat down he laid on WCS and Noel).

My take on Noel is he is completely dependent on his length and athleticism. I think he gets steals because he gambles too much, and he gets blocks off sheer talent. Davis got blocks by playing good defense and then at the last possible second going up and blocking the shot, noel goes after EVERY shot. I can't count how many times he doesn't get the block and then his man gets the rebound because he's out of position.

Long and athletic but not much feel for the game IMO.

Bazz is no harden, Stackhouse is a good comparison he physically overpowers guys. He's a post up scorer, his best shot is that lefty one hand push shot it's not a jumper it's not a hook.

He's in better shape and his defense is improving but I thought he had 2 of his worst games against Utah and Colorado. Good player but if he were in next years draft he wouldn't be in the conversation top 5 IMO.

I've seen every UCLA game this year, Adams and Anderson impact the game more than Bazz does. Bazz is starting to play harder on defense, earlier in the year he was a complete no show on defense.

I think he'll go very high and I think he'll work hard to improve on offense, my whole question is who is he going to guard in the NBA?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My take on Noel is he is completely dependent on his length and athleticism. I think he gets steals because he gambles too much, and he gets blocks off sheer talent. Davis got blocks by playing good defense and then at the last possible second going up and blocking the shot, noel goes after EVERY shot. I can't count how many times he doesn't get the block and then his man gets the rebound because he's out of position.

Long and athletic but not much feel for the game IMO.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. In addition to over pursuing the ball looking for a block or steal he's also really poor whenever he tries to defend the post. He does have a good motor and is extremely quick for someone with his length which allows him to put up impressive stat lines mostly with activity instead of sound play.

He reminds me of Theo Ratliff with a little bit of Noah's game mixed in. I don't think he'll be a bad player to have, but not someone to build around imo.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Guys we're just one Kobe knee sprain away from 2 Top 10 picks- don't give up hope!

I watched the Golden State game, and by the second part of third quarter, Kobe was visibly out of gas. He got his shot blocked, missed a (contested) layup, and shot an air ball from behind the line. I really think that as the season progresses, he and Nash will wear out and they will start losing more. In all fairness, that analysis might be wishful thinking on my part, so I could be 100% wrong, of course.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight is a pivotal game. The Lakers must lose. MUST LOSE, I tell you.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
us losing tonight is equally as important..

This is one of the 3 most winnable games until end of february and with teams like Minnesota free-falling as well we want to hold on to that #4 lottery spot.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its too bad there's not a sure fire #1 pick from the Phoenix area coming out in the draft this year, if so, I'd like the Suns chances to win the lottery a lot more.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Tonight is a pivotal game. The Lakers must lose. MUST LOSE, I tell you.

Its not really pivotal... the Lakers can afford to lose every game to the top teams and make the playoffs quite easily. The closest thing they have to pivotal games are their two against Portland - its a four game swing between losing them both and winning them both. But the way Portland is tumbling now that might not be true for long and it will be the Jazz fighting the Lakers for the eighth slot.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not really pivotal... the Lakers can afford to lose every game to the top teams and make the playoffs quite easily. The closest thing they have to pivotal games are their two against Portland - its a four game swing between losing them both and winning them both. But the way Portland is tumbling now that might not be true for long and it will be the Jazz fighting the Lakers for the eighth slot.

I wouldn't have liked the effect on the Lakers' confidence had they won.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You are overlooking some things

1. Lakers have 9th toughest schedule remaining.
2. Utah played more road games than any other team so far. 24, Lakers played only 17.
3. Dallas has the same goal as the Lakers.
4. Dallas has an easier schedule, played 5 more road games already.
5. Dallas has more momentum and more flexibility to improve through trades. I think the probability that Dallas stays ahead of the Lakers is high.

That means the Lakers have to jump Houston, Utah and Portland. I guess Minnesota is a given, they are terrible. Rubio looks like a sad joke compared to pre-injury and Love is not playing.

Lakers playoff hopes are still just hopes.. they will need a good run.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake