Favorite Cardinals Win

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some of the threads going right now are about bad Cardinal memories, busts, etc.

So going over that history got me thinking about the good old days.

SO my question is, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS, what is your favorite or most memorable Cardinals win?

For me a game that always comes to mind is in 1996 against the Eagles in SDS. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611240crd.htm

It was a meaningless game in a bad season (we had a lot of those in SDS) but as usual I was there with my dad and our group of STH's we rolled with back then.

If you didn't see it, this is what happened:

The Cardinals scored on a Boomer Esiason pass to Centers to put us up 29-20 with about 2 mins left. It was very memorable because it was the first and last time I ever heard my dad utter the following words:

"That's it, it's over, we got em!"

I was like; "DUDE ARE YOU INSANE WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!?! NOOOOO!"

lol

Then....

We kicked off, the Eagles ran it back for a TD 29-27

No problem, we still got it right?

The Eagles did an onside kick, recovered it, and RAN THAT BACK FOR A TD TOO!

I remember looking at my dad and saying THIS IS YOUR FAULT! lol

Fortunately you cant advance an onside kick, but the Eagles still had the ball and quickly gained some yards and kicked a field goal. 30-29.

Un freaking believable. People in the crowd were so frustrated it bordered on just being funny. It was so typical Cardinals, how do you let them run 2 kickoffs back for TD's in a row? Who does that? SERIOUSLY? lol

So the Eagles kicked off, the Cardinals got the ball with 47 seconds left and what does Boomer do? He drove us right down the freakin field and scored a TD.

It was pandemonium. Definitely the craziest final 2 mins of a game I had ever seen, talk about a roller coaster. I'll never forget it. We might as well have won the Superbowl, all 200 of us (jk) in SDS were hugging and high fiving and everyone was just laughing as they exited the stadium.

The funniest part was that there was time left on the clock after we scored so we had to kick off again! lol You could hear the crickets when that ball was in the air, and then pandemonium resumed when we actually tackled him.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definately my first ever Cards game. November 6th, 1988 against the 49er's

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1984 Skins at Cards

My mother asked me to spend the night at her house on 10-20-84 because she had a special Bday planned for early the next day. As I was awaken that early morning she threw down 2 tix to the Cards-Skins game. I had never been to see the Redbirds play outside of Dallas & never even rode on a plane...I was giddy!!!

On a cool raining noon game the Cards got behind I believe 21-7 going to the 2nd half & Riggins & the Hogs were on fire the 2nd qtr. Jim Hanifan decided to starting throwing the ball all over Busch Stadium. Lomax to Green hooked up on 2 long TD's that day as Darrell Green's tongue was touching the turf as Jetstream repeatedly torched #28. Neil O'Donoghue kicked a last second FG to send the St. Louis fans & me home with a big win 26-24. Ironic that Neil missed on the last game of the season with a division title on the line & a 2 point loss, 29-27. :bang: That team had the offense to do some damage in the playoffs!!!

A Bday to always remember!!!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say mine was the 1988 comeback win over the 9ers at SDS. Down 23-0 the Cards came back to win 24-23. As exciting a win as I've ever seen.

My seats were in the very top row on the east side..about the 15 yard line...cheapest possible I think

Only time I ever got to see Lomax/Roy Green in person

Cards had worked their way back to 6-4 after starting 0-2 and the fans were chanting 'Super Bowl, Super Bowl' on the way out of the stadium.. They finished the season 7-9 lol

On a personal note, that game was on Nov 6 and my last big drunk. I entered an alcohol treatment program 3 days later. Haven't had a drink since...22 years!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Watching on TV: the 38-0 win over Dallas on Monday night. I was just a kid but I remember 40 year was in a square dance group with my Great Grand Parents and had come over to watch the game.

Best live: that's tough. I'd have to say the '97 Dallas game. 2003 Vikings game is probably 2nd.

And what was that game where the newspaper guy said we shouldn't go to the game or should wear paper bags? I'll never forget everyone yelling at him as he left the field with team after the Cards won.

Other great moments: The game where after 37 beers I sloshed back in the stadium to score Jersey Girl a bobble head doll.

The 16-15 win over the Redskins where we had the Nigerian Nightmare bus ride from the Vine. Aeneas 100+ yard TD return.

The old halftime meets at SDS where you had to remind Kooter that you just talked to him last Sunday because he'd have no idea who you were.

And of course every game in Sec 28 at SDS with Jstadvl and AZCards21 and earlier in the loge with JRein. Great times.

:koolaid:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the threads going right now are about bad Cardinal memories, busts, etc.

SO my question is, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS, what is your favorite or most memorable Cardinals win?

For me a game that always comes to mind is in 1996 against the Eagles in SDS. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611240crd.htm

It was a meaningless game in a bad season (we had a lot of those in SDS) but as usual I was there with my dad and our group of STH's we rolled with back then.

The Cardinals scored on a Boomer Esiason pass to Centers to put us up 29-20 with about 2 mins left. It was very memorable because it was the first and last time I ever heard my dad utter the following words:

lol

Then....

Fortunately you cant advance an onside kick, but the Eagles still had the ball and quickly gained some yards and kicked a field goal. 30-29.

Un freaking believable. People in the crowd were so frustrated it bordered on just being funny. It was so typical Cardinals, how do you let them run 2 kickoffs back for TD's in a row? Who does that? SERIOUSLY? lol

So the Eagles kicked off, the Cardinals got the ball with 47 seconds left and what does Boomer do? He drove us right down the freakin field and scored a TD.

It was pandemonium. Definitely the craziest final 2 mins of a game I had ever seen, talk about a roller coaster. I'll never forget it. We might as well have won the Superbowl, all 200 of us (jk) in SDS were hugging and high fiving and everyone was just laughing as they exited the stadium.

The funniest part was that there was time left on the clock after we scored so we had to kick off again! lol You could hear the crickets when that ball was in the air, and then pandemonium resumed when we actually tackled him.

actually, the Eagles return for a touchdown came earlier in the game when WE tried a "surprise onside kick" and they surprised us by catching it out of the air and returning for a touchdown.

but yes, that's one of my favorite games.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

lol

Then....

Marcus Dowdell!!! Wasnt that last drive like 93 yard or something and no timeouts if I remember correctly, good times @ SDS

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

lol

Then....

4th qtr scoring w/ times
Fourth Quarter
You must be registered for see images
Arz--P.Carter 6 pass from B.Esiason (PAT failed), 4:02.
Phi--R.WATTERS 4 run (G.Anderson kick), 6:37.
Arz--L.Centers 2 pass from B.Esiason (K.Butler kick), 12:15.
Phi--D.Witherspoon 95 kickoff return (G.Anderson kick), 12:34.
Phi--FG G.Anderson 32, 14:08.
Arz--M.Dowdell 24 pass from B.Esiason (K.Butler kick), 14:46.A--36,175.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
actually, the Eagles return for a touchdown came earlier in the game when WE tried a "surprise onside kick" and they surprised us by catching it out of the air and returning for a touchdown.

but yes, that's one of my favorite games.

I dont think you are right my friend, look at the box score, they scored on a kickoff return, then did the onside kick.

I dont remember the sneak onside, but I'm not sayin it didn't happen.

I remember the 4th very clearly though. :)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching on TV: the 38-0 win over Dallas on Monday night. I was just a kid but I remember 40 year was in a square dance group with my Great Grand Parents and had come over to watch the game.

Best live: that's tough. I'd have to say the '97 Dallas game. 2003 Vikings game is probably 2nd.

And what was that game where the newspaper guy said we shouldn't go to the game or should wear paper bags? I'll never forget everyone yelling at him as he left the field with team after the Cards won.

Other great moments: The game where after 37 beers I sloshed back in the stadium to score Jersey Girl a bobble head doll.

The 16-15 win over the Redskins where we had the Nigerian Nightmare bus ride from the Vine. Aeneas 100+ yard TD return.

The old halftime meets at SDS where you had to remind Kooter that you just talked to him last Sunday because he'd have no idea who you were.

And of course every game in Sec 28 at SDS with Jstadvl and AZCards21 and earlier in the loge with JRein. Great times.

:koolaid:

No doubt the 38-0 win over Dallas was my favorite. That was 1970!! The Cardinals had 3 consecutive shutout wins that year. Previous to that W, we had beaten the Oilers 44-0 & the Patriots 31-0. My second favorite regular season win was when we beat the Skins 20-17 in the 1975 thriller that pretty much sowed up our 2nd NFC East title in a row. That was the game that Mel Gray caught the controversial td with like 25 seconds to go in the game.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1997 week 2 OT win vs Dallas was one of my favorites. Naked bootleg to Pat Carter and the 2pt to tie and then the Butler did it in ot!!! Fans rushing the field and carrying the goal post out of the stadium. I remember hanging over the tunnel and yelling "we beat the f'ing cowboys" and Michael Bankston stopped and turned around w/ a huge grin and said "f yeah". That week tied for 1st place was special.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No doubt the 38-0 win over Dallas was my favorite. That was 1970!! The Cardinals had 3 consecutive shutout wins that year. Previous to that W, we had beaten the Oilers 44-0 & the Patriots 31-0. My second favorite regular season win was when we beat the Skins 20-17 in the 1975 thriller that pretty much sowed up our 2nd NFC East title in a row. That was the game that Mel Gray caught the controversial td with like 25 seconds to go in the game.

Then the week after the Dallas game the Cards held the defending SB champion Chiefs to 6 points in a 6-6 tie. So three games against AFL teams only allowing a total of six points. The Cards should have switched over to the AFC instead of the Steelers. We'd have won 7 Super Bowls by now.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1997 week 2 OT win vs Dallas was one of my favorites. Naked bootleg to Pat Carter and the 2pt to tie and then the Butler did it in ot!!! Fans rushing the field and carrying the goal post out of the stadium. I remember hanging over the tunnel and yelling "we beat the f'ing cowboys" and Michael Bankston stopped and turned around w/ a huge grin and said "f yeah". That week tied for 1st place was special.

Wasn't that what triggered them to put in the "SUPER GOAL POSTS" in SDS and spoiled all the fun? That and the ASU Nebraska game I think.

We tried to tear them down again after we beat the Chargers to go to the playoffs, but those suckers just wouldn't come down. Bent the hell out of them though, they might as well have let us tear it down. lol

Remember the guys got the field goal net and tried to use that to get it down?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think you are right my friend, look at the box score, they scored on a kickoff return, then did the onside kick.

I dont remember the sneak onside, but I'm not sayin it didn't happen.

I remember the 4th very clearly though. :)

trust me. they returned our onside kick for a touchdown.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't that what triggered them to put in the "SUPER GOAL POSTS" in SDS and spoiled all the fun? That and the ASU Nebraska game I think.

We tried to tear them down again after we beat the Chargers to go to the playoffs, but those suckers just wouldn't come down. Bent the hell out of them though, they might as well have let us tear it down. lol

Remember the guys got the field goal net and tried to use that to get it down?

I had the chunk of turf from after the Chargers game in 1998 growing in a flower put for about 4yrs. I remember the security guys flipping out becuase they had the new surface in for the Fiesta Bowl and people were ripping it up.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
My second favorite regular season win was when we beat the Skins 20-17 in the 1975 thriller that pretty much sowed up our 2nd NFC East title in a row. That was the game that Mel Gray caught the controversial td with like 25 seconds to go in the game.

The "phantom catch". I've seen that many a time & there wasn't a chance in hell Gray caught that.