Fill Me In on Rod Hood

Le Tigre

Reaction score
He's coming into Cincinnati for a look over.

Good? Bad? So-so? Worth considering?

We have two fairly good starters...so he would be nickel I would think.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Hood was very productive here. His release was a little shocking to most on this board. He's not elite, but he's very solid. He will do very well as a nickel and part time starter...can even push your existing starters.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hood was very productive here. His release was a little shocking to most on this board. He's not elite, but he's very solid. He will do very well as a nickel and part time starter...can even push your existing starters.

I agree with that.

He would be an upgrade for the Cincy secondary, IMHO.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's not a burner, but when he stays with the play, he's dynamite.
I really liked him and I was looking forward to figuring out if it was him, or the defensive scheme, that struggled at times.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
At the right price he is a strong #2 CB and maybe a #3 on the best secondary in the league.

I am a fan.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He was simply a cap casualty here.

Solid and unspectacular.

Good pick up at the right price.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only problem he plays the receiver not the ball. In fact, I've found myself thinking he had great position and if he knew where the ball was, it would be an easy interception. I really never got the chance to see if he has good hands.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
plays much better when he can face the QB--

disaster with his back to the Qb -- will be right with a guy only to have the ball go right by his head and into the WRs arms

would have like to have him here at #3 cb

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

He is at best a #3 nickle back. He was really average as a starter. The most irritating part about him was he never looked for the ball. Just tells you how sucking our CB's were when Hood and Green were starting. Not sure where the "dynamite" part came from. He was ok.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solid but not spectacular.

Perhaps better suited for more conservative play against Eastern run-oriented teams than against the swifties in the West.

Just guessing, but I think the Cards were looking for more playmaking capability opposite DRC and felt that McFadden might provide a little bit more of that than Hood.

No knock on Rod. All it really means is that he might be a better fit in the rainy, windy Northeast than in the desert.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good not great.

His biggest flaw is not seeing the ball in the air. He gave up a couple of back breaking TDs last season by simply not "looking up"

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
JeffGollin is right. Solid, not spectacular. Worth having on your team.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a horrible-horrible option for you guys. He's a good player, but a really good guy too. After meeting him, the team will likely take him off of their list.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, he's the epitome of "solid." He's not going to be a pro-bowler, he's not going to dazzle you, but he seems to get the job done more often than not.

JMHO

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He's a horrible-horrible option for you guys. He's a good player, but a really good guy too. After meeting him, the team will likely take him off of their list.

:D

Don't be deceived by the last name "hood". Maybe that was the initial attraction for Bengals management. He really hasn't had any off field issues since he's been in Arizona.

OP
OP
L

Le Tigre

Reaction score

:D I was waiting for the anticipated jab on the "criminal" image we have heretofore projected to the rest of the world. Rest assured, we have been "rehabilitated" and are no more criminal than say, the Cowboys (well, we did just bring in Roy Williams). ;) And certainly, less dastardly than the cheating 'roid-ridden Steelers.

But I digress. Thanks for the insights as to Mr. Hood. Chances are he'll come and leave anyway...but it's nice to know something about him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That's too funny.

Maybe you should do PR for Boldin and Dockett. :D

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I agree with most. He is a solid starter IMO. I liked him a lot. Pissed that he was released.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Why do you have to be a jerk even to an out of towner? Unreal.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
To answer your question, Bengals fan---and I apologize for the jerks who tried to denigrate this post---Rod Hood is, IMO, a liability at CB...he plays what I call a "lazy" corner...first of all, when the ball is snapped he looks like an NBA player in the first quarter of a meaningless mid-season game. He's just kind of hanging out. Then when he realizes the play could be heading his way he panics and starts to grope the WR who by now has evened up with him and is in a good position to blow by him. Even worse, when the ball is in the air, he never looks back for the ball, rendering him virtually helpless. It would be good if he could simply read his WR's eyes as the ball is coming to him and get his own hands up in front of the WR's but he doesn't EVER.

I wouldn't trust him as a nickel back because he is going to get flagged left and right. He plays with his hands, which is too bad because he has good feet, but very little instincts.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
To answer your question, Bengals fan---and I apologize for the jerks who tried to denigrate this post---Rod Hood is, IMO, a liability at CB...he plays what I call a "lazy" corner...first of all, when the ball is snapped he looks like an NBA player in the first quarter of a meaningless mid-season game. He's just kind of hanging out. Then when he realizes the play could be heading his way he panics and starts to grope the WR who by now has evened up with him and is in a good position to blow by him. Even worse, when the ball is in the air, he never looks back for the ball, rendering him virtually helpless. It would be good if he could simply read his WR's eyes as the ball is coming to him and get his own hands up in front of the WR's but he doesn't EVER.

I wouldn't trust him as a nickel back because he is going to get flagged left and right. He plays with his hands, which is too bad because he has good feet, but very little instincts.
Very accurate analysis, Mitch...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you have to be a jerk even to an out of towner? Unreal.
Do you ever stop crying Mitch?

Even the OP knew I was joking around.

Why dont you go back to writing your 30th thread of the day on the same subject as the last 300 and let the mods police the board?

While we're policing though, last I checked it was against board rules to insult, i.e. call people thinks like "jerks". Shouldn't you be banned right now?

You are the last person to take about being rude btw. The relatively new folk on the board love your threads because they typically aren't as well-versed with the team, yet when people who do know the team and football in general pretty well read your stuff they tend to find numerous discrepencies between your writing and the truth. Why do you feel the need to insult Joeschmoe, the best and most knowledgeable poster on this board by a mile every time he disagrees with you?

Please put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05