Gambo and Ash - Barbosa closer than Diaw to a contract extension.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting that Barbosa is much closer to signing an extension than Diaw. It looks like Diaw is going to possibly command 9-10 million a year, thanks to Nene's ridiculous contract.

I've always figured that Diaw was closer, but it does make sense that he's looking for more money. When the hell are they going to get these contracts under control? Or, when will the owners realize that they're throwing away money?

In 2-3 years the Nuggets are going to be giving up draft picks just to unload Nene. Book it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Gambo is reporting that Barbosa is much closer to signing an extension than Diaw. It looks like Diaw is going to possibly command 9-10 million a year, thanks to Nene's ridiculous contract.

I've always figured that Diaw was closer, but it does make sense that he's looking for more money. When the hell are they going to get these contracts under control? Or, when will the owners realize that they're throwing away money?

In 2-3 years the Nuggets are going to be giving up draft picks just to unload Nene. Book it.

It makes sense. Barbosa's bargaining position is not really good right now.

Concerning the owners: Overall, it's actually working. More teams are making money now than a few years ago. All but a few teams are under the luxury tax, and even the Knicks will drop below the lux tax in the next year or two.

There are the regrettable deals, but they aren't always apparent initially.

Everyone though Kenyon Martion and Dampier were good signings, while Nash was a bad one.

The problem that the Sun's have is that they have too many good players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:

Yep. Not to mention that Diaw and the Suns are anywhere from 2 to 3 million apart per year. That is a pretty big gap. Oh and forget about the Suns trading Marion to clear up cap room. Rumor has it that almost every team has called in reference to Shawn and the Suns said no. So if they are not willing to trade Marion for cap space, either the Suns have to be willing to pay the Luxury tax or trade someone other then Nash, Amare or Marion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WastedFate said:

not the biggest fan of this news. I don't think Diaw is looking at 9-10 based on Nene's contract,I'm thinking he's looking at that based on the JJ fiasco and other player sof his ilk around him. If he was basing his contract off the Nene deal, I'd think he'd want considerably more than 9-10 considering he's shown much more than Nene has.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Yep. Not to mention that Diaw and the Suns are anywhere from 2 to 3 million apart per year. That is a pretty big gap.

that can't be. I just can't imagine that's the case unless Boris is asking for the MAX. Is that what Gambo and Ash reported? That they're two to threemillion off PER YEAR?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
The Suns didn't have to trade Marion this year. They weren't in cap trouble at all and they need him to win this year. Next year will be different and I expect them to trade Marion then, especially if we win the championship. I don't find this too surprising. Hopefully we can sign Barbosa to a fairly cheap contract but I always expected signing Diaw would be tough...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
The Suns didn't have to trade Marion this year. They weren't in cap trouble at all and they need him to win this year. Next year will be different and I expect them to trade Marion then, especially if we win the championship. I don't find this too surprising. Hopefully we can sign Barbosa to a fairly cheap contract but I always expected signing Diaw would be tough...
The lux tax problems with trading Marion next summer is the Suns will still have to take back ~ $16 million in salaries, albeit (hopefully) in multiple players. Nonetheless, that's still taking away from Diaw's money because they won't have the time the trade away the parts they get for Marion.

Based on what the market's paid out and what Diaw showed last year and in the playoffs, he's worth $10 million per. I think it would be very difficult to argue otherwise at an arbitration table.

Kolo

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that can't be. I just can't imagine that's the case unless Boris is asking for the MAX. Is that what Gambo and Ash reported? That they're two to threemillion off PER YEAR?

He's probably at 10, Suns are probably at 8. Hopefully, they'll meet in the middle. I can't blame Diaw here--if I was him, I'd demand Nene money as well.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
not the biggest fan of this news. I don't think Diaw is looking at 9-10 based on Nene's contract,I'm thinking he's looking at that based on the JJ fiasco and other player sof his ilk around him. If he was basing his contract off the Nene deal, I'd think he'd want considerably more than 9-10 considering he's shown much more than Nene has.

I'm thinking the money would be about the same as Nene for a couple reasons. First, Boris is not even a restricted free agent. Unless he's a top-notch superstar you would expect at least a little bit of compromise from his camp since he will be locking up a good deal early. Secondly, Nene is huge and athletic. Big men like him traditionally get a little more money.

Everybody now is looking for "Nene" money. I guarantee the teams are cursing and Denver Nuggets for giving him that contract.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm thinking the money would be about the same as Nene for a couple reasons. First, Boris is not even a restricted free agent. Unless he's a top-notch superstar you would expect at least a little bit of compromise from his camp since he will be locking up a good deal early. Secondly, Nene is huge and athletic. Big men like him traditionally get a little more money.

that's why I said he's probably NOT looking at Nene's contract, but just based on what he's worth and what similar guys have gotten. This is the more important contract IMO versus Barbosa. I hope it gets done because on the open market next year, Boris will likely demand JJ-like numbers if he continues to progress as we believe he will.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This Nene thing will blow over. When Dampier got $84 million you didn't see every big in the league asking for the same.
Stupid contracts are handed out every year but not every day.

I don't know what Diaw's worth but I bet his numbers go down next year, unless Amare doesn't come back strong.

The Suns can't give him $10 million a year. No team can survive with over $40 million tied up in forwards.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear Barbosa is close. Obviously I think Diaw is the player which should concern the Suns the most and I'll remain optimistic they'll get something done in time. Personally 9-10mil per seems like a good deal compared to what he'd get on the open market and as cheese said the Suns are lucky he's not using guys like Nene, Chandler, Dalembert or Curry to compare himself too otherwise the price would be even higher.

sunsfn

Reaction score
WastedFate said:

It looks like Diaw is going to possibly command 9-10 million a year, thanks to Nene's ridiculous contract.

Did GAmbo say that or is that your thoughts? Nothing wrong with that, but Diaw is out of the country and that may have something to do with him not getting signed for a while.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
This Nene thing will blow over. When Dampier got $84 million you didn't see every big in the league asking for the same.
Stupid contracts are handed out every year but not every day.

I don't know what Diaw's worth but I bet his numbers go down next year, unless Amare doesn't come back strong.

The Suns can't give him $10 million a year. No team can survive with over $40 million tied up in forwards.

I actually think that Golden State warriors overpaid Foyle before Eric Dampier got his ridiculous contract.

What you guys think Boris Diaw should get if they agree to an extension this summer?

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I actually think that Golden State warriors overpaid Foyle before Eric Dampier got his ridiculous contract.

What you guys think Boris Diaw should get if they agree to an extension this summer?

Joe Mama

I'd go no higher than 5/$45. Amare coming back will most definitely affect Diaw's performance, which is why I wouldn't go 5/$50 or higher.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

10-11 million per. That's what it's gonna take to get it done and probably what he deserves. The guy, whether people want to admit it or not, is going to be the SF of the future and Amare's #2 star next to him for the next decade. Gotta be able to have forward thinking here.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Before the offseason started I was hoping they could sign him for no more than 9mil per(which is what I think Parker is getting). Though when there was no deal emminent when FA started I figured it'd go into the 10-11mil per range.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
I love Diaw but if he wants $10Mil per and we don't want to give it, just let him play this season and then ship him with Atlanta's pick (Hopefully somewhere between 4-7 and move up enough to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.

Coaches would have nightmares thinking about facing Stoudemire and Oden. :eek:

So Diaw signed or not signed will still workout for us in the longrun.Cause hes either helping us win a title or he gives us a huge trading chip.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'd go no higher than 5/$45.

If Diaw would be willing to start at 8 and escalate to 11, I think that might get 'er done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
I love Diaw but if he wants $10Mil per and we don't want to give it, just let him play this season and then ship him with Atlanta's pick (Hopefully somewhere between 4-7 and move up enough to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.

NO ONE IS GOING TO TRADE AWAY THE ABILITY TO DRAFT ODEN. That's a freaking pipe dream. It would have been like people considering to trade away the number one pick when Lebron came out - not gonna happen.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
I love Diaw but if he wants $10Mil per and we don't want to give it, just let him play this season and then ship him with Atlanta's pick (Hopefully somewhere between 4-8) and move up enough to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.

So Diaw signed or not signed will still workout for us in the longrun.Cause hes either helping us win a title or he gives us a huge trading chip.

Well ... then you'd probably have to do some snappy roster exchange with some other players, because I don't think you could lose both Marion and Diaw in the same summer, pin your hopes on a rookie center, and expect the Suns to keep rolling along the road to a championship. I don't believe the Suns can keep Marion, anyway, but you definitely can't afford to lose your best two forwards (sans Stoudemire) and expect things to stay up.

NastyOne

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
NO ONE IS GOING TO TRADE AWAY THE ABILITY TO DRAFT ODEN. That's a freaking pipe dream. It would have been like people considering to trade away the number one pick when Lebron came out - not gonna happen.

Depends on how the other lottery canidates do in college this season.

If a few other players position themselves into superstar staus come draft night, then someone might feel comfortable getting Diaw and moving down a couple of spots and still getting a star rookie.

It would be hard for a GM to turn down Diaw & #4(Hopefully) for the #1.

Hell i'd even throw in Barbosa and another one of our first rounders.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Depends on how the other lottery canidates do in college this season.

If a few other players position themselves into superstar staus come draft night, then someone might feel comfortable getting Diaw and moving down a couple of spots and still getting a star rookie.

It would be hard for a GM to turn down Diaw & #4(Hopefully) for the #1.

Hell i'd even throw in Barbosa and another one of our first rounders.

Diaw, Barbosa, the Atlanta #1 AND another #1 for Oden?

Oden's good, but come on now.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Well ... then you'd probably have to do some snappy roster exchange with some other players, because I don't think you could lose both Marion and Diaw in the same summer, pin your hopes on a rookie center, and expect the Suns to keep rolling along the road to a championship. I don't believe the Suns can keep Marion, anyway, but you definitely can't afford to lose your best two forwards (sans Stoudemire) and expect things to stay up.

Rookie center thats already better than all but two of the centers currently in the NBA.(Shaq and Ming)

2 years tops and he'll be the best center in the NBA.

He's so good people think he would've went #1 if him and Lebron were in the same draft.

We wouldnt even need anymore bigmen with Stoudemire and Oden lol

NastyOne

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Diaw, Barbosa, the Atlanta #1 AND another #1 for Oden?

Oden's good, but come on now.

If the Spurs offered that for Duncan, would you take it? I would, and this kid is projected to be another Duncan or better.