Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You talk like you don't even know who DeMarcus Cousins is...Let me refresh you memory.

2016-17 SEASON STATS

PPG 27.9
RPG 10.7
APG 4.7
STL 1.4
BKK 1.4
FG% 45.1
3P% 36.7
FT% 77.8

That's superstar numbers...Not complimentary numbers...Jeesh!

Again. That shooting percentage is problematic for a pf or c. That level of shooting from that position would hurt our team offensive efficiency.

IOW. He would have to play better here than he is in Sacramento to improve our team. He would have to shoot less and increase his shooting percentage. He would also have to improve his defense. He is a good distributor and that would help.

A player that shoots a low percentage and shoots a lot hurts. That's why we had BK so much.

Now, I do believe on a better team he could do that. But the team might have to better than ours.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think DeMarcus playing alongside Bled and Booker would see his numbers go up. Cousins is the focal point for defenses...
I would hope so. But I am not sure. Last year he had Rondo and Gay and he still shot about the same percentages. The fact is that he shoots REALLY consistently about the same numbers.

Its kind of like the business that loses money on every sale and tries to make up for it in volume.

He is a good distributor for a big man though.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You arnt going to get everything in one player...Even so Cousins fits that bill more than most.

Who is available at that position that is better than cousins...In his prime... and is attainable by the suns?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The fact that Rajon Rondo and Rudy Gay have been the best players that Cousins has ever played with is just sad.

If he wasn't a millionaire, I would almost feel bad for Cousins.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It usually takes at least one quality big man to take a team to a championship. Cousins is supposedly a super star or why trade for him?

Cousins has been with the Kings 7 seasons. It's about time. Maybe he is a complimentary player. You don't give up multiple valuable assets for a complimentary player.

Yeah what 3-4 x all star yeah he's a role player smh

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would hope so. But I am not sure. Last year he had Rondo and Gay and he still shot about the same percentages. The fact is that he shoots REALLY consistently about the same numbers.

Its kind of like the business that loses money on every sale and tries to make up for it in volume.

He is a good distributor for a big man though.

That's a dumb argument he a big who faces up and even steps out to 3 point range your trying to compare him to other centers who pretty much get put backs and dunks that's why there percentages are so high.

He shoots in the mid 40s pretty much where Dirk has been for his career. Because that's who he really compares to he's not a traditional big and you keep trying to compare his numbers to a traditional big

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You talk like you don't even know who DeMarcus Cousins is...Let me refresh you memory.

2016-17 SEASON STATS

PPG 27.9
RPG 10.7
APG 4.7
STL 1.4
BKK 1.4
FG% 45.1
3P% 36.7
FT% 77.8

That's superstar numbers...Not complimentary numbers...Jeesh!

I know his stats but I also know what he hasn't done, carry the Kings. How many playoff games has he played in?

Of course if the Suns traded for him I would support him 100%.

One of the things that really impresses me about Cousins is his willingness to pass the ball which tells me he is a team player.

However, I do not want the Suns to give the farm for him only to see him walk after next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah what 3-4 x all star yeah he's a role player smh

Give me your max offer for him so we can talk... not your minimum offer.

Do you trade Booker and a whole lot more for him? This is an All-Star big man as you say. Also are you going to chance him walking after next season.

He is also going to command a huge salary as well.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know his stats but I also know what he hasn't done, carry the Kings. How many playoff games has he played in?

I don't know what type of flawed logic you're trying to pass off because I'm not getting it. It's a team sport. He's a three time all Star and arguably the best center in the NBA. I think that means more than what ever point you're trying to drive home.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Give me your max offer for him so we can talk... not your minimum offer.

Do you trade Booker and a whole lot more for him? This is an All-Star big man as you say. Also are you going to chance him walking after next season.

He is also going to command a huge salary as well.

I don't think any sane fan is saying we should trade for Cousins without guarantees involved. He is going to have to ink some deal or nothing is going to happen.

You say he's going command a huge salary but think he's a complimentary player?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what type of flawed logic you're trying to pass off because I'm not getting it. It's a team sport. He's a three time all Star and arguably the best center in the NBA. I think that means more than what ever point you're trying to drive home.

You didn't quote my entire post which I think is pertinent to this discussion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any sane fan is saying we should trade for Cousins without guarantees involved. He going to have to ink some deal or nothing is going to happen.

You say he's going command a huge salary but think he's a complimentary player?

I'm saying if the Suns are going to trade for Cousins what is the max you would have the Suns offer.

Cousins is going to command a huge salary as well.

My stance, if the Suns can trade for Cousins for something reasonable like Len, Warren and the Suns first round pick I'd consider it.

I'm not sure you are going to get any guarantees.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm saying if the Suns are going to trade for Cousins what is the max you would have the Suns offer.

Cousins is going to command a huge salary as well.

My stance, if the Suns can trade for Cousins for something reasonable like Len, Warren and the Suns first round pick I'd consider it.

I'm not sure you are going to get any guarantees.

That's a fair question...Off the top of my head thinking about a deal that could do it... But before I say mind you that other teams could be involved and there could be a bidding war. My max offer would be something like...

Current draft pick... probably a top 3 pick.

Bender or Chris...Not both under any circumstance!

Warren or Len

One of the Miami picks but I'd try to give them a future Suns first rounder pick instead because that probably would be worth less than a Miami pick but still be good enough to get a deal done.

Now if Suns get the #1 pick instead of #3 pick that could alter negotiations in our favor. But on the whole.... While the deal might seem like a lot to offer it doesn't gut the team or stop our youth movement. We get to keep Bender or Chris..Keep Booker...Maybe keep both Miami picks. But what we gain is a player that is a mismatch nightmare for most teams in a position that is very hard to fill with an all-star. Both bled and cousins are in their primes and could dominate for 4-5 years. Plus putting them two together creates a synergy that by themselves is not nearly as powerful. Bled is a pentrating guard that will dish to cousins for an uncountable amount of dunks. Plus like you said Cousins is a very good passing big man which will benefit the Suns team in general.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fair question...Off the top of my head thinking about a deal that could do it... But before I say mind you that other teams could be involved and there could be a bidding war. My max offer would be something like...

Current draft pick... probably a top 3 pick.

Bender or Chris...Not both under any circumstance!

Warren or Len

One of the Miami picks but I'd try to give them a future Suns first rounder pick instead because that probably would be worth less than a Miami pick but still be good enough to get a deal done.

Now if Suns get the #1 pick instead of #3 pick that could alter negotiations in our favor. But on the whole.... While the deal might seem like a lot to offer it doesn't gut the team or stop our youth movement. We get to keep Bender or Chris..Keep Booker...Maybe keep both Miami picks. But what we gain is a player that is a mismatch nightmare for most teams in a position that is very hard to fill with an all-star. Both bled and cousins are in their primes and could dominate for 4-5 years. Plus putting them two together creates a synergy that by themselves is not nearly as powerful. Bled is a pentrating guard that will dish to cousins for an uncountable amount of dunks. Plus like you said Cousins is a very good passing big man which will benefit the Suns team in general.

I think you have put together a package the Kings would consider if they decided to trade Cousins and there was no bidding war. As the Kings want the best pick, the trade would not likely happen until the summer because Cousins might change the Suns draft position.

However, if the Suns got the #1 this summer it might change everything as you note. The Suns would likely be entertaining some sweet offers for this pick from other teams. Even the #2 pick might get some good offers as well.

Alas, we are not the Suns GM. :D

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you have put together a package the Kings would consider if they decided to trade Cousins and there was no bidding war. As the Kings want the best pick, the trade would not likely happen until the summer because Cousins might change the Suns draft position.

However, if the Suns got the #1 this summer it might change everything as you note. The Suns would likely be entertaining some sweet offers for this pick from other teams. Even the #2 pick might get some good offers as well.

Alas, we are not the Suns GM. :D

Yeah even the #2 would be pretty strong in trade value.

We're not the Suns GM but it's fun dreaming because it's not total fantasy. It blows my mind the assets we have to work with. It makes almost anything seem possible!

:cheers:

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sacramento looked pretty good tonight without Cousins against one of the best teams in the league.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would much rather trade even Bledsoe before even thinking about giving up our own 2017 pick.

Well that's definitely a solid option too. I just would hope we'd get a solid return and not feel short changed. I think at least a mid first rounder or better and a up and coming player would be the minimum we're looking for. Maybe more than one draft pick too.

Really though slin im surprised you wouldn't be all over getting Cousins. That seems like your kind of player that you dream of. Do you have something against him or do you just really value our draft pick?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm trading Booker for Cousins...in a heartbeat. Only cause I consider Cousins Top 7 talent. Now as I type that I have second thoughts. Id still do it

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm trading Booker for Cousins...in a heartbeat. Only cause I consider Cousins Top 7 talent. Now as I type that I have second thoughts. Id still do it

I wouldn't. Booker is only 20 years old and putting up great numbers. He still has a ton of potential yet to be explored. Plus he's a decent kid which is nice. He's UNTOUCHABLE.... I thought everyone knew that!?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

not surprising considering your past comments, which showed you were an impatient instant-gratification bandwagon type.
thankfully the organization is never going to do that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. I would not. Very short-sighted.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There aren't many players I would trade Booker for. That kid is already an amazing player and he is only 20 years old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05