Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When's the last time a team built around a superstar center won a championship?

from phone

I wouldn't really consider Cousins a center he's a PF

Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Dirk

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. Value at peak, age doesn't align with team's peak years, great draft for perhaps even a superior pg. it seems so obvious to me I can't understand what the suns don't see. I understand they don't want to keep losing and he's our best player . . . but even with him playing the best basketball of his career we are still the second worst team in the league. So he's not really impactful in keeping us competitive for viewership sake.

You are seeing it the way I am. I don't see the point in keeping him for the reasons you just described plus too him having two full seasons left on his contact adds a little value as well. If the suns wait until his last year some of that value could be lost.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn't really consider Cousins a center he's a PF

Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Dirk
Dirk won his only championship when Tyson Chandler was brought in as Center. No Chandler, no championship for Dirk. That's the fact, Jack. :)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dirk won his only championship when Tyson Chandler was brought in as Center. No Chandler, no championship for Dirk. That's the fact, Jack. :)
Should also be noted that those Mavs often played not one, not two, but THREE point guards at the same time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ok and?

Dirk was a PF a big man that flat out carried that team with one of the most epic post season runs of all time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cousins got his 16th technical already so each one going forward is a 1 game suspension. This is his best chance to make the playoffs on the Kings and now he's sabotaging his teams season. They're 3 1/2 games back for the 8th seed and I know it's just to make the playoffs and get swept by Golden State but for someone like Cousins who gets his play scrutinized for not producing wins for his team you'd think he'd make a push for that spot to silence some critics but instead he's getting suspended. He's supposed to be the leader of that Kings team but his attitude has always been a question mark, at best. This is his 4th time in the last 5 seasons where he's been suspended for technicals accumulated throughout the season. He's the earliest to ever get suspended because of accumulated technicals by almost a month, Dwight Howard's mark of March 5th 2011 was the earliest before.

Picking up #16 was really bad in it's own right though. He got it at the very end of a game, in a losing effort with 1.1 seconds to go. The whole sequence is terrible, he throws up a contested 3, that was airballed, with the Kings down by 4 and about 11 seconds when he gets the ball across halfcourt. He never looked to pass it, he was determined to jack up that shot, and he tried jumping into his defender to get a whistle but his defender never left their feet. He started throwing a tantrum when Chicago came down with possession and he didn't get a call, the game was essentially over but he made sure to get ejected for that final second and that he'll miss their next game now. He already had 1 technical in the game so I'm sure someone warned him that his next one would be #16 and a suspension. Last year his 16th came with 6 seconds left in a 120-111 win against the Wizards. He was just fined 25k for making "obscene gestures and inappropriate statements" when leaving the court after their win on Saturday against the Warriors, which was a home game. Here is video of the last play which resulted in him drawing the technical...

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/07/kings-demarcus-cousins-suspended-16th-technical-foul

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the cost of his extension would be insane also. His home team extension will be approximately $207 million. That's a ton of cash for anyone but for someone who has never taken his team to the playoffs, even been in the playoffs at all, is a lot of money. His attitude definitely isn't that of a leader and he can't stay out of trouble. He's lost approximately $1.6 throughout his career due to fines and suspensions. Here's a link to an article talking about that price tag in regards to him saying he'd like to sign an extension with Sacramento. I think they'd be dumb to sign him to that, he hasn't taken them anywhere but the lottery, that's a lot of money to pay out to someone who hasn't brought your team any success whatsoever. Add in how Sacramento is probably paying out 3 head coaches a year under Cousins' time with the team that is another problem.

http://nesn.com/2017/01/nba-rumors-...ready-to-sign-max-money-extension-with-kings/

Here is some info on the coaching problems in Sacramento. It compares him to other stars from the 2010 draft class like Paul George, John Wall, Greg Monroe, Derrick Favors, and Eric Bledsoe.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/09/22/demarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings-coaching-carousel/

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah kingdad,

He's a headcase...Gets coaches fired... Probably a locker room cancer.

And he's the best center in the nba

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno guys...Part of me dont care about about Cousins craziness...Or he hasn't made the playoffs...Or the 200 mill he's gonna get.. He's an exciting player to watch and a incredible talent. I mean what is even more important than the Suns winning a championship is being entertained as much as possible. Only one team wins a championship and that's a brief moment. I'd like to watch Cousins, Bledsoe, and Booker play together three or four times a week... Wouldn't you?? To me that's more exciting than getting a number one pick rookie pg. We already got Bledsoe who is playing out of his mind...Why not hook him up with Cousins? Chances of us resigning Bledsoe (in two years) with Cousins on our team would be much greater.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anyone here tell me you wouldn't salivate and be absolutely giddy at the thought of Bled, Booker, Cousins playing together. All three of these guys would get to the foul line constantly...That team would be dangerous!!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno guys...Part of me dont care about about Cousins craziness...Or he hasn't made the playoffs...Or the 200 mill he's gonna get.. He's an exciting player to watch and a incredible talent. I mean what is even more important than the Suns winning a championship is being entertained as much as possible. Only one team wins a championship and that's a brief moment. I'd like to watch Cousins, Bledsoe, and Booker play together three or four times a week... Wouldn't you?? To me that's more exciting than getting a number one pick rookie pg. We already got Bledsoe who is playing out of his mind...Why not hook him up with Cousins? Chances of us resigning Bledsoe (in two years) with Cousins on our team would be much greater.

I think the chances of him blowing up this franchise into a Morris/Melo type of mess is just as likely. But who am I? I would think Watson, the players, and even McD have a better take on Cousins' character than I do.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When you think about it... The Suns really dont have a vocal leader to take charge. It should be Bledsoe but that's not his way... I actually think we need Cousins big mouth!

:biglaugh:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the chances of him blowing up this franchise into a Morris/Melo type of mess is just as likely. But who am I? I would think Watson, the players, and even McD have a better take on Cousins' character than I do.

Blow up the Suns?... We're already the second worst team in the NBA. It's already blown up.

And about character ..Well Len is no trouble maker... How is that working out? Isn't Cousins so good he's worth some BS?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blow up the Suns?... We're already the second worst team in the NBA. It's already blown up.

And about character ..Well Len is no trouble maker... How is that working out? Isn't Cousins so good he's worth some BS?

Ask the Kings that question, 7 years with no playoff appearances, they haven't been able to resign anyone during his tenure, and have a revolving door of coaches. Plus he's on the trade market, if he was really worth the headache then he wouldn't be. He's a top 5 Center, but that's it. It's like Kevin Love before he went to Cleveland, no one called him the best PF in the league even though he put up huge numbers for Minnesota because he didn't win. Cousins is nothing but empty stats. Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Hassan Whiteside, and Joel Embiid are all better Centers right now.

It would be blowing up this team if we traded off half our youth in addition to draft picks for Cousins. We'd be giving away the players we've drafted in the lottery the last few years for a malcontent of a player who is talented but isn't talented enough to turn us into a winner, he may not even turn us into a playoff team. Trading away our future just to go back to fighting for the 8th seed and a mid teen's 1st rounder won't help us now or in the next 3-4 years either. Cousins doesn't attract free agents so we'll be stuck in that spot for a good while, fighting to get swept by Golden State each year, because they have the #1 seed locked down for the next 3 or 4 years.

If our pick is #1 or #2 overall it will have more value on draft night than it would in a rumored Cousins trade right now. If we keep it though we can draft one of the PG's to grow with Booker, Warren, Bender, and Chriss. They'll all be hitting their stride in 3-4 years when Golden State is slowing down. Booker is definitely a keeper, it's too early to tell with Bender or Chriss but Warren is more than capable of being a solid scorer at SF for the future.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ask the Kings that question, 7 years with no playoff appearances, they haven't been able to resign anyone during his tenure, and have a revolving door of coaches. Plus he's on the trade market, if he was really worth the headache then he wouldn't be. He's a top 5 Center, but that's it. It's like Kevin Love before he went to Cleveland, no one called him the best PF in the league even though he put up huge numbers for Minnesota because he didn't win. Cousins is nothing but empty stats. Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Hassan Whiteside, and Joel Embiid are all better Centers right now.

It would be blowing up this team if we traded off half our youth in addition to draft picks for Cousins. We'd be giving away the players we've drafted in the lottery the last few years for a malcontent of a player who is talented but isn't talented enough to turn us into a winner, he may not even turn us into a playoff team. Trading away our future just to go back to fighting for the 8th seed and a mid teen's 1st rounder won't help us now or in the next 3-4 years either. Cousins doesn't attract free agents so we'll be stuck in that spot for a good while, fighting to get swept by Golden State each year, because they have the #1 seed locked down for the next 3 or 4 years.

If our pick is #1 or #2 overall it will have more value on draft night than it would in a rumored Cousins trade right now. If we keep it though we can draft one of the PG's to grow with Booker, Warren, Bender, and Chriss. They'll all be hitting their stride in 3-4 years when Golden State is slowing down. Booker is definitely a keeper, it's too early to tell with Bender or Chriss but Warren is more than capable of being a solid scorer at SF for the future.

You should go over to hoops habit and read some articles...It pretty much says everything I said. I also read recently a centers ranking and it listed Cousins as the #1 Center...He would be no worse than #3 by anyones standards. And he's only 26 years old. And I don't expect a Cousins trade by the deadline...It would be this summer if it were to happen at all.

It would take a big deal to get Cousins...I'm sure we'd have to part with Bender or Chris which wouldn't bug me because it would be hard to develop them both at the same time in my opinion. We still have the Miami picks to hedge on our youth movement as well as Booker...And Chris/Bender although one of them would be dealt probably. Still thats plenty of quality youth to go with guys in their primes.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's been 7 years since we made the playoffs... I don't know how many more years the fans have the patience to wait. I'm seeing a lot of empty seats at Talking Stick arena. I'd like to root for the Suns again someday and not wait yet another half decade. We have the assets easily to get this deal done. If we don't deal for Cousins then we are going to have a logjam at PG and Bled will have to be dealt. I'd rather keep Bled and add Cousins..It's simpler, better, and way more exciting. You got two players peaking at the same time and Booker getting better and better. That trio nucleus could definitely attract quality free agents.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not condoning it but maybe Cousins acts the way he does because he is tired of losing and doesn't see it coming to an end in SAC. Moot point since Divac is saying he won't deal him, but maybe that changes in the offseason.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You should go over to hoops habit and read some articles...It pretty much says everything I said. I also read recently a centers ranking and it listed Cousins as the #1 Center...He would be no worse than #3 by anyones standards. And he's only 26 years old. And I don't expect a Cousins trade by the deadline...It would be this summer if it were to happen at all.

It would take a big deal to get Cousins...I'm sure we'd have to part with Bender or Chris which wouldn't bug me because it would be hard to develop them both at the same time in my opinion. We still have the Miami picks to hedge on our youth movement as well as Booker...And Chris/Bender although one of them would be dealt probably. Still thats plenty of quality youth to go with guys in their primes.

Bender was looking really good a couple of weeks ago. People were starting to see that he might have more potential than Chriss. I wounder if he's been "hurt" these last couple of weeks to decrease the likelihood of Kings or some other team asking for him in a blockbuster?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
he had like 1 good game in garbage time... and I really doubt the Suns have such an elaborate plan that includes Bender himself snapchatting pictures of his ankle treatments..

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not condoning it but maybe Cousins acts the way he does because he is tired of losing and doesn't see it coming to an end in SAC. Moot point since Divac is saying he won't deal him, but maybe that changes in the offseason.

That's the way I see it. It actually wouldn't be a terrible thing to see a few Suns more ticked off instead of so accepting of losing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a top 5 center he's a legit top 10 overall in the NBA.

Dude stop with the whole well what has he done for the Kings. There a flat out joke of an organization and to aurgue otherwise is pointless. They've drafted horrible and they've never been a free agent destination.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what proof is that? Where has Bledsoe taken the Suns?

It usually takes at least one quality big man to take a team to a championship. Cousins is supposedly a super star or why trade for him?

Cousins has been with the Kings 7 seasons. It's about time. Maybe he is a complimentary player. You don't give up multiple valuable assets for a complimentary player.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It usually takes at least one quality big man to take a team to a championship. Cousins is supposedly a super star or why trade for him?

Cousins has been with the Kings 7 seasons. It's about time. Maybe he is a complimentary player. You don't give up multiple valuable assets for a complimentary player.

You talk like you don't even know who DeMarcus Cousins is...Let me refresh you memory.

2016-17 SEASON STATS

PPG 27.9
RPG 10.7
APG 4.7
STL 1.4
BKK 1.4
FG% 45.1
3P% 36.7
FT% 77.8

That's superstar numbers...Not complimentary numbers...Jeesh!