Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A big part of me is digging the youth movement we have going and am liking the high draft pick.

BUT

Cousins would be interesting and fun. Him and Bled are at the top of their games...With Booker in that trio we'd have a blast watching them play...For YEARS. Assuming Cousins gets resigned...(and Bledsoe in two years)

Here is the thing...If we drafted a PG in this draft do we keep Bledsoe?? It just doesn't make sense drafting a top 3 PG and benching him for long stretches due to Bledsoe's dominance. But it's not fair to Bled either to have a rookie hog his minutes. I think we're better off trading the pick or Bledsoe.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Josh Jackson will never go first.

Fultz is the clearest #1 pick I can remember since Lebron. Josh Jackson is also a year older than a lot of freshman.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh Jackson will never go first.

Fultz is the clearest #1 pick I can remember since Lebron. Josh Jackson is also a year older than a lot of freshman.

You are right about Fultz. But whether a player is 18, 19, or 20 as a difference is WAY over rated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Eh, probably not. Without thinking about it, I'd say Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul, Lillard would all come before him, and I am sure there is another two or three players who may be better. My point was intended to be more figurative. 24.4 points, 7.7 assists, 4.9 rebounds, on 43%, and 37% behind the line in January is really impressive. To me, those are all-star level numbers. He has also improved every month, and his overall numbers look great. He also doesn't fail the "eye test" nearly as often as he failed last year.
If Bledsoe stays consistent, and it looks like there might be a good chance that he will, he is easily on par with Lillard and even Chris Paul at this point in his career. They certainly aren't "clearly" better than Bledsoe at this point.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If Bledsoe stays consistent, and it looks like there might be a good chance that he will, he is easily on par with Lillard and even Chris Paul at this point in his career. They certainly aren't "clearly" better than Bledsoe at this point.

My point was that he is playing at or around the all-star level. Who cares if there are seven better guards in the West right now, or five, or just three? My point is that he is playing extremely well, and that things are more complicated now. At the beginning of the season, the choice was easy- you draft a PG if they are the best player available, and move Bledsoe. Right now, I am not so sure that whatever PG we get is going to produce better numbers than Bledsoe.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point was that he is playing at or around the all-star level. Who cares if there are seven better guards in the West right now, or five, or just three? My point is that he is playing extremely well, and that things are more complicated now. At the beginning of the season, the choice was easy- you draft a PG if they are the best player available, and move Bledsoe. Right now, I am not so sure that whatever PG we get is going to produce better numbers than Bledsoe.

I got what you meant. Yes. He is playing at all-star level, no doubt. He is also an all around player. When he commits, he is a very good defender. His distribution skills are the weakest part of his game, but he is improving there too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is the rub.. If we draft a PG in the top 3 what are we going to do...Stash him on the bench? Shouldn't a guy drafted that high get more playing time than the average rookie? Fans are going to want to see him play.
Do what the cavs did when they drafted a stud pg in kj behind an all star in mark price and trade him for a final missing piece in making a run at it all (absent mj).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Eh, probably not. Without thinking about it, I'd say Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul, Lillard would all come before him, and I am sure there is another two or three players who may be better. My point was intended to be more figurative. 24.4 points, 7.7 assists, 4.9 rebounds, on 43%, and 37% behind the line in January is really impressive. To me, those are all-star level numbers. He has also improved every month, and his overall numbers look great. He also doesn't fail the "eye test" nearly as often as he failed last year.
No matter what happens with Bledsoe, it will be a tough decision. Although, frankly, not failing the eye test nearly as often as he failed last year is hardly a compliment. "Gee, for a fat person you don't sweat a lot." :)

Just as one good month of scoring 30 or 40 points a few times makes him an undersized Shooting Guard rather than our facilitator of the future. And, with Booker, it makes us a backcourt-heavy team on offense which doesn't equate to a balanced team going forward.

I guess what I am saying is that Bledsoe as the star of our team, even with improvements, doesn't equate to a better team performance. As evidence, since he got hot our record took a nosedive. The sad part is that apparently Sarver's planning is limited to a flash in the pan to put fans in the seats and hire underqualified (underpaid) Head Coaches. And there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No matter what happens with Bledsoe, it will be a tough decision. Although, frankly, not failing the eye test nearly as often as he failed last year is hardly a compliment. "Gee, for a fat person you don't sweat a lot." :)

Just as one good month of scoring 30 or 40 points a few times makes him an undersized Shooting Guard rather than our facilitator of the future. And, with Booker, it makes us a backcourt-heavy team on offense which doesn't equate to a balanced team going forward.

I guess what I am saying is that Bledsoe as the star of our team, even with improvements, doesn't equate to a better team performance. As evidence, since he got hot our record took a nosedive. The sad part is that apparently Sarver's planning is limited to a flash in the pan to put fans in the seats and hire underqualified (underpaid) Head Coaches. And there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

What you value from a point guard Bledsoe is bringing. We're not losing because of our offense, they've been lighting it up. We're losing because our defense is terrible and we probably have the worst 3s and 4s in the NBA. Also, Knight and Len are dreadful more often than not.

Bledsoe is not a problem and I also don't think he cares about being the star, he has shown a willingness to defer to whoever has it going. There are not many max point guards who would gladly play 2nd fiddle to a guy who just left his teens the way Bledsoe has.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
What you value from a point guard Bledsoe is bringing. We're not losing because of our offense, they've been lighting it up. We're losing because our defense is terrible and we probably have the worst 3s and 4s in the NBA. Also, Knight and Len are dreadful more often than not.

Bledsoe is not a problem and I also don't think he cares about being the star, he has shown a willingness to defer to whoever has it going. There are not many max point guards who would gladly play 2nd fiddle to a guy who just left his teens the way Bledsoe has.

I agree.

Lots of folks put blame on Bledsoe, Chandler or Len for our major problems. All three probably could be better but our biggest issues are at the 3 and 4. When PJ Tucker is you best option at both positions you are not going to be very good. Put Marion or Amare on this team they certainly are in the playoffs. Put both of them and we could be a contender. I think you just have to have a star or close to a star at one or both of those positions. How are we going to get that guy? I think we all hope Warren morphs into that player, but I have my doubts.

Chandler
Amare
Marion
Booker
Bledsoe

That team would look real nice. Bledsoe and Booker could end up being one of this franchises best backcourts ever. Nash was great but he never had a 2 with what potentially Booker will bring down the road. However I really think that ultimately Booker will end up being a 3.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do what the cavs did when they drafted a stud pg in kj behind an all star in mark price and trade him for a final missing piece in making a run at it all (absent mj).

Yeah right...But we're more than a final piece away with the Warriors so damn good.

I'm still up for anything... Trade... Keep...Just nothing stupid!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But it's just about the numbers, it's also about the durability. Bledsoe is one more knee meniscus tear away from an early retirement. So far, none of the top draft prospects have any significant injury concerns like Bledsoe's.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But it's just about the numbers, it's also about the durability. Bledsoe is one more knee meniscus tear away from an early retirement. So far, none of the top draft prospects have any significant injury concerns like Bledsoe's.

Yeah then we'd be wishing we traded him.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bledsoe isn't the problem nor is he the solution apparently. :madarms:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah right...But we're more than a final piece away with the Warriors so damn good.

I'm still up for anything... Trade... Keep...Just nothing stupid!
We are more than one piece away today. But in a few years . . . if our young guns pan out we might be a single piece away and having a surplus of talent at one position allows you to trade from a position of strength.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are more than one piece away today. But in a few years . . . if our young guns pan out we might be a single piece away and having a surplus of talent at one position allows you to trade from a position of strength.

I think Bled is that surplus piece that needs to go soon especially if we draft a PG. Bled has only two years left on his contact after this season and I doubt we'll resign him. He should be traded by this summer at the latest.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Championship level big threes:
1. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili
2. Curry, Thompson, Green
3. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
4. Lebron, Irving, Love
5. Garnett, Pierce, Allan

Common characteristics of a big three:
Guard, wing, and a big, with the exception of the Warriors.

We need a star big. Can be a pf or center. Needs to be in the mold of a Duncan/Green/Bosh/Garnett. Love is an aberration because of LeBron. I do not think either Chriss or Bender is going to be that player. I am not sure Cousins could be either. I will say that the triple double he put up was impressive.

I am not sure Bledsoe and Booker are good enough to be a two guard substitute for a guard and a wing.

Then you have to fill out the roster with quality role players.

Here is how we could be a contender by next year.
1. Get the number one or two pick. Draft Fultz or Ball
2. Sign Blake Griffin in free agency.

Done.

I am not a Griffin fan (as a person) but that plan is completely doable. Griffin know the Clippers window is closing.

1. Bledsoe, Fultz/Ball,
2. Booker, Knight
3. TJ, PJ, Bender
4. Griffin, Chriss
5. Chandler, Len

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
4. Lebron, Irving, Love

We need a star big. Can be a pf or center. Needs to be in the mold of a Duncan/Green/Bosh/Garnett. Love is an aberration because of LeBron. I do not think either Chriss or Bender is going to be that player. I am not sure Cousins could be either. I will say that the triple double he put up was impressive.

I am not sure Bledsoe and Booker are good enough to be a two guard substitute for a guard and a wing.

Done.

I am not a Griffin fan (as a person) but that plan is completely doable. Griffin know the Clippers window is closing.

1. Bledsoe, Fultz/Ball,
2. Booker, Knight
3. TJ, PJ, Bender
4. Griffin, Chriss
5. Chandler, Len

Man, the outside shooting on that team would be awful.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
4. Lebron, Irving, Love

Done.

1. Bledsoe, Fultz/Ball,
2. Booker, Knight
3. TJ, PJ, Bender
4. Griffin, Chriss
5. Chandler, Len

Sign me up! :cheers:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When's the last time a team built around a superstar center won a championship?

from phone

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thats a fair criticism.

Is it? I would have though "mediocre" more than awful. And I'd worry more about the defense on that team than anything to do with the offense. Blake has a nice deep mid-range shot which serves the same as 3 pointer for spacing purposes and the guards have will space nicely too. But very little rim protection and an aging Chandler is going to get slower each season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Bled is that surplus piece that needs to go soon especially if we draft a PG. Bled has only two years left on his contact after this season and I doubt we'll resign him. He should be traded by this summer at the latest.
I don't disagree with you. Value at peak, age doesn't align with team's peak years, great draft for perhaps even a superior pg. it seems so obvious to me I can't understand what the suns don't see. I understand they don't want to keep losing and he's our best player . . . but even with him playing the best basketball of his career we are still the second worst team in the league. So he's not really impactful in keeping us competitive for viewership sake.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
3. Lebron, Wade, Bosh
4. Lebron, Irving, Love

Done.

1. Bledsoe, Fultz/Ball,
2. Booker, Knight
3. TJ, PJ, Bender
4. Griffin, Chriss
5. Chandler, Len
Eh I think your analysis is flawed. Booker is very much a wing in the mold of a ginobili or Thompson, so making the comment that the "two guard thing" won't work is discounting the spurs and warriors trio. Also we have no idea what kind of big bender or chriss is going to be and if you're including green as the warriors it obviously doesn't have to be a traditional big.