Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
He's probably had several on air conversations about this rumor and I haven't listened to all of them but he didn't say anything like this during his initial episode on it. He did, however, say almost those exact words about Booker though.
Yeah he said it around 2:30pm. That Booker, Bledsoe, and Chriss wouldn't be in the deal.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why is everyone so attached to Chriss? Do you see him developing into anything more than what warren has?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone so attached to Chriss? Do you see him developing into anything more than what warren has?

I don't. I don't know what to expect from Warren now either, he's been a huge disappointment since he returned from his mysterious malady or injury. And I don't think we're all that attached to Chriss either except for maybe one poster. He's been even worse than expected and I expected huge growing pains for him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wonder that often. He did look good offensively in the Grizzlies game this week but he hasn't shown much outside of that, he could be the worst defensive starting PF in the league right now also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder that often. He did look good offensively in the Grizzlies game this week but he hasn't shown much outside of that, he could be the worst defensive starting PF in the league right now also.

I don't think it's even close. I'm a stranger to advanced stats but to the eye test, he's the worst by a long shot IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, Chriss doesn't have the physical body to play consistent defense right now plus he is young. However, what concerns me the most is how much can he develop his body to hold his own on defense down the road.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm impatient with the young guys but cheese reminded me that the blazers waited out jermaine O'Neal and got a big payoff in his development. We need to be patient with chriss and bender. They are nowhere near where they will be. And bigs do take longer when coming into the league so young.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm impatient with the young guys but cheese reminded me that the blazers waited out jermaine O'Neal and got a big payoff in his development. We need to be patient with chriss and bender. They are nowhere near where they will be. And bigs do take longer when coming into the league so young.

And both of them but especially Chriss were obvious long term projects when we drafted them. I just worry about Chriss because of his lack of awareness. I really can't think of a player his age that was so completely unaware on the basketball court who then went on to succeed in this league. Hoping he'll beat the odds but not at all confident.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope those that are unhappy with Chriss's development are not on the band wagon to resign Alex Len.

I am more than willing to give Chriss a chance to develop. At least he appears to have a heart beat which on most nights Alex Len does not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say this... if we DID make that deal and have a "big three" moving forward with Bledsoe, Booker and Boogie, we might as well can Watson's ass and throw the kitchen sink at Calipari in the grand Kentucky Kids Growns Up In The NBA experiment. Just go all in at that point.

That might actually make me give a damn... and give the Suns credit for at least taking as massive of a swing as possible. This middle of the road... in bad-lands, not even tank-lands... has sapped pretty much ANY "give a ish" about the team and that makes me sad. I LOVED this team more than anything. The 1988-89 Suns were my first sports love and to this day, no team compares... in any sport... to the 1992-3 Suns squad. The Cards were close last year and even though the Backs won a title, it's baseball (although it was an amazing run). I miss the Suns. I miss actually caring about basketball. I literally don't care AT ALL. At least not enough to sit through a single game... or more then even a couple minutes. That sucks.

Rant over.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd say this... if we DID make that deal and have a "big three" moving forward with Bledsoe, Booker and Boogie, we might as well can Watson's ass and throw the kitchen sink at Calipari in the grand Kentucky Kids Growns Up In The NBA experiment. Just go all in at that point.

That might actually make me give a damn... and give the Suns credit for at least taking as massive of a swing as possible. This middle of the road... in bad-lands, not even tank-lands... has sapped pretty much ANY "give a ish" about the team and that makes me sad. I LOVED this team more than anything. The 1988-89 Suns were my first sports love and to this day, no team compares... in any sport... to the 1992-3 Suns squad. The Cards were close last year and even though the Backs won a title, it's baseball (although it was an amazing run). I miss the Suns. I miss actually caring about basketball. I literally don't care AT ALL. At least not enough to sit through a single game... or more then even a couple minutes. That sucks.

Rant over.

Um, they are doing a great job tanking in one of the best drafts in a while. In second place with a 4 game distance between teams in the 4 spot and later.

I agree middle of road, where they were post barkley to nash, is worst place to be. They are not there, theyre hopefully where minnesota, philly, Milwaukee are.. setting themselves up as teams of the future.

Since booker's emergence last year as a likely franchise player this is the most interested i've been since 2010.

They are doing things right, one 20 old franchise player, two 19 year olds with really nice upside and a top pick in a big time draft. Throw in a 23 year old warren and len.

I would be leary of getting away from that timeline, where 5 years from now golden state is likely winding down, and our pieces are emerging. A trade for Cousins will will not help you beat golden state in the next 5 years. They are winning the next 4 titles.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just to clarify, if the Suns traded for Cousins now they would have him for the remainder of this season and the 2017-18 season as well.
I thing 15-16 months is what he has in mind. It's still a short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Uhh...Not so fast. Cousins wouldn't be enough to get past Golden State... He's not locked in a long term contract...He's very possibly a locker room cancer (coaches and players bail on him). Whats the point of having him on the Suns??

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope those that are unhappy with Chriss's development are not on the band wagon to resign Alex Len.

I am more than willing to give Chriss a chance to develop. At least he appears to have a heart beat which on most nights Alex Len does not.

Chriss and Len are two entirely different players, Len is more of a defensive old school center and Chriss is a very athletic but undersized PF right now. Len has looked good this year but a number of people wanted to move on shortly after he was drafted and haven't really changed their mind. He's at least as good Chandler is and we're paying him 15 million a year. Chriss will take time to develop but there is a chance he ends up being a SF in the NBA, the main reason he's our starting PF is out of necessity, not skill. I think Bender is more NBA ready but the front office and Watson view him as a better player overall, now and down the road, so they're not going to shake his confidence by starting and playing him against superior competition every night.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss and Len are two entirely different players, Len is more of a defensive old school center and Chriss is a very athletic but undersized PF right now. Len has looked good this year but a number of people wanted to move on shortly after he was drafted and haven't really changed their mind. He's at least as good Chandler is and we're paying him 15 million a year. Chriss will take time to develop but there is a chance he ends up being a SF in the NBA, the main reason he's our starting PF is out of necessity, not skill. I think Bender is more NBA ready but the front office and Watson view him as a better player overall, now and down the road, so they're not going to shake his confidence by starting and playing him against superior competition every night.

I don't know what you base that on but Chandler is the better player and it isn't even close. Chandler is better at literally every facet of the game and our splits when Len is out there compared to Chandler are worlds apart. We're getting killed when Len is on the court to the tune of -11 per 100 possessions, with Chandler out there it is -2.

Len is a terrible offensive player and on defense, while he can make some plays, overall he is really lousy, he just gets lost out there, frequently meandering away from his man. His biggest defensive problem is his fouling. Even if we got rid of Chandler, Len fouls at such a pace the if given starting minutes he'd foul out nearly every game.

I do agree that Chriss may be better off in the long run as a SF.

And I also think Bender is the better player of the 2. Bender's individual stats are not good right now but when he is on the court things seem to go well. He seems to have a good feel for how to move around both on offense and D. And going back to Len... that is his biggest problem, he does not seem to know where to go on either end, a bad instinctual player.

He isn't trash, given a few more years he could be a decent reserve but there is nothing about him that suggests he is or is going to be someone who should be a regular starter.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting a 26 yr old career 21ppg 11rpg 1 steal 1 block big man and keeping Booker and Bledsoe?
No brainer.
He is an inefficient high use big man. For a center to shoot 45% is pretty bad actually. Yeah. He rebounds 11. That's good but so does the guy he's replacing. He could play pf so that would be an improvement across the board over Chriss. Tysons rim protection is horrible and Cousins is not a good defender. The team would have a lot of flaws and not easy to fix.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is an inefficient high use big man. For a center to shoot 45% is pretty bad actually. Yeah. He rebounds 11. That's good but so does the guy he's replacing. He could play pf so that would be an improvement across the board over Chriss. Tysons rim protection is horrible and Cousins is not a good defender. The team would have a lot of flaws and not easy to fix.

Lol

chickenhead

Reaction score
The Suns team that Barkley came to was a much better organization with a more established core. I don't want to give up the #1 for Boogie, at least not now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumor I am hearing and that was on the radio and bleacher report and other outlets
Len, Warren, #1 for Cousins. Neither Len or Warren I would consider core players.
Anyone have any links saying otherwise not just oh well I'm hearing or I imagine

Try Arizonasports.com. Select podcasts and then click on Burns & Gambo "episodes". Listen to the 12 minute "Going Deep" segment on 1-31 which is when Gambo first "breaks" this rumor. If you do you'll see that the names aren't solid and from the beginning, Gambo suggests there will possibly be another young player and later on he says there may even be more.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Griffin is taking it to the Suns tonight. Suns don't have "that guy". Do it!

I'd keep Warren, wouldn't let Booker, Bledsoe, Chriss and Len go though. I say Len because there's always a need for a backup center, he isn't garbage. Kings probably need a center in return for Cousins though.

I just don't see Bender panning out. He's got some length but may be more of an AK47 type of player without any legit offense right now.

I wouldn't do the deal if either Bender or Chriss is part of it. I would jump at the Warren, Len and our #1 rumor.
Bender and Chriss are far too young and both have way too much upside to let them go.
Way too early for the jury to be out on either of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do the deal if either Bender or Chriss is part of it. I would jump at the Warren, Len and our #1 rumor.
Bender and Chriss are far too young and both have way too much upside to let them go.
Way too early for the jury to be out on either of them.

I agree it's far too early for the jury to be out on either of them but do you realistically see Bender or Chriss or Len or Warren ever getting to the Cousins level, or even close? I think Bender might eventually reach that level but for the others, I kind of doubt it and I'm far from the biggest Cousins fan here. His numbers make him appear to be a top 5 kind of player, I think he's barely top 15. But still, top 15 is pretty darned good and he possesses a skill we sorely lack.

So, for me, Warren and Chriss and Len and even Bender are very replaceable if you're getting a top 15 player in return. But in a draft that's loaded with talent, much more so than just the point guards so many people seem to be focusing on, our pick has too much value to let it be part of a package for a player that might only be a short term rental.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
I agree it's far too early for the jury to be out on either of them but do you realistically see Bender or Chriss or Len or Warren ever getting to the Cousins level, or even close? I think Bender might eventually reach that level but for the others, I kind of doubt it and I'm far from the biggest Cousins fan here. His numbers make him appear to be a top 5 kind of player, I think he's barely top 15. But still, top 15 is pretty darned good and he possesses a skill we sorely lack.

So, for me, Warren and Chriss and Len and even Bender are very replaceable if you're getting a top 15 player in return. But in a draft that's loaded with talent, much more so than just the point guards so many people seem to be focusing on, our pick has too much value to let it be part of a package for a player that might only be a short term rental.

Personally, I just think this years draft is special and has the potential to yield several star/super star type players, so a top 5 pick is a premium. I'm not a big fan of either Warren or Len but they are both young and have a shot to be if nothing else serviceable starters on most teams. I really like Chriss and think in two years or so he could be an all-star. His athletic ability and range for his size is something not easily found, and I think the kid has the drive and heart to reach his potential. I'm a little less confident in Bender but scouts have been raving about this guy for several years now and he is so young I think it would be a mistake to let him go at this point. Len, Warren and a top 5 pick in a very good draft is a solid offer and one I would be more then happy to give up.