Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it's far too early for the jury to be out on either of them but do you realistically see Bender or Chriss or Len or Warren ever getting to the Cousins level, or even close? I think Bender might eventually reach that level but for the others, I kind of doubt it and I'm far from the biggest Cousins fan here. His numbers make him appear to be a top 5 kind of player, I think he's barely top 15. But still, top 15 is pretty darned good and he possesses a skill we sorely lack.

So, for me, Warren and Chriss and Len and even Bender are very replaceable if you're getting a top 15 player in return. But in a draft that's loaded with talent, much more so than just the point guards so many people seem to be focusing on, our pick has too much value to let it be part of a package for a player that might only be a short term rental.

As the Cousins rumor is slow to die, I have to wonder how much pressure McDonough is under to produce now (next season). Also he has always wanted to bring a star player to the Suns. I'm not sure how much patience Sarver has so I think he has to feel it.

The Suns might have been better to go after Harrison Barnes when he was a free agent.

I'm not comfortable paying the price (assets) to go after Cousins but I'm not the GM.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
As the Cousins rumor is slow to die, I have to wonder how much pressure McDonough is under to produce now (next season). Also he has always wanted to bring a star player to the Suns. I'm not sure how much patience Sarver has so I think he has to feel it.

The Suns might have been better to go after Harrison Barnes when he was a free agent.

I'm not comfortable paying the price (assets) to go after Cousins but I'm not the GM.

I don't consider Barnes to be a star player. He's a good player, but not the type of player that's going to lead a team or be the face of a franchise. Cousins is that and coming into his prime as well. You put him with Bledsoe and Booker and you're a playoff team. Add to that the nucleus of young talent we have to go with other draft picks and you can be a contender before he's 30 (in 3 years).

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Chriss potential all-star in two years? That would be awesome but I don't see it. Hope I'm wrong though!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss potential all-star in two years? That would be awesome but I don't see it. Hope I'm wrong though!

I think that's too soon too but I wouldn't completely rule it. He still looks lost frequently but he's also doing some pretty impressive things at the same time. I don't know if it will ever click upstairs but he is a unique physical talent and he's playing so much better today than he was just a month or two ago. He's still a huge liability most nights but he has his moments.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't consider Barnes to be a star player. He's a good player, but not the type of player that's going to lead a team or be the face of a franchise. Cousins is that and coming into his prime as well. You put him with Bledsoe and Booker and you're a playoff team. Add to that the nucleus of young talent we have to go with other draft picks and you can be a contender before he's 30 (in 3 years).

I was looking at it from the standpoint, the Suns could have had a very good player in free agent Harrison Barnes without giving up assets. IMO, the Suns would have been further along in their rebuild plus still have all their cards to play including their first round pick in the upcoming draft.

I agree having Bledsoe, Booker and Cousins on the same team would likely make the Suns a playoff team next season but then the Suns risk he could walk.

There are many roads to a goal. I guess I am choosing what I think is the safest. Who knows which is the best.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What's making this even more complicated is Bledsoe turning into an all-star. Best players in the draft are PGs, but the way Bledsoe has been playing, I am not sure he is not the PG of the future. Yeah, I get it, there are injury concerns, we don't know if he'll keep this up, and all that nice stuff, but the way he's been playing is really making things more complicated.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's making this even more complicated is Bledsoe turning into an all-star. Best players in the draft are PGs, but the way Bledsoe has been playing, I am not sure he is not the PG of the future. Yeah, I get it, there are injury concerns, we don't know if he'll keep this up, and all that nice stuff, but the way he's been playing is really making things more complicated.

Here is the rub.. If we draft a PG in the top 3 what are we going to do...Stash him on the bench? Shouldn't a guy drafted that high get more playing time than the average rookie? Fans are going to want to see him play.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can people say Bledsoe, Booker, and Cousins is a definite playoff team when Gay, Rondo, and Cousins can't win 35 games?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'll see. With the way Josh Jackson has been shooting of late he could well go first and wherever he's drafted, he'll still have a fair shot at best player in this class. And I'm sold on Lauri Markkanen and would not bet against him as the best player of this group.

As I've said before, I love this class and I don't agree with the oft-repeated idea that it's point guards and then a huge drop-off. Certainly, there are 3 pretty safe PGs near the top of this class, any one of whom could turn a team around but they aren't the only future stars here.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I won't say Cousins doesn't make me nervous. Even the Suns aren't Kings-level wacky but it's not like Phoenix has even half of Spurs-level stability. And obviously Watson is way more of a player's coach than, say, George Karl ... but I just wonder if a young team and a franchise without much recent history of success is the place for him. Just going by what you read in the media, of course.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What's making this even more complicated is Bledsoe turning into an all-star.

He's better, but an All-Star? Let's be generous and say that the West All-Star team is going to have seven guards. You see him as a top-seven guard in the West?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Cousins is over rated. He too inefficient for a big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see. With the way Josh Jackson has been shooting of late he could well go first and wherever he's drafted, he'll still have a fair shot at best player in this class. And I'm sold on Lauri Markkanen and would not bet against him as the best player of this group.

As I've said before, I love this class and I don't agree with the oft-repeated idea that it's point guards and then a huge drop-off. Certainly, there are 3 pretty safe PGs near the top of this class, any one of whom could turn a team around but they aren't the only future stars here.

I'd love for the Suns to get another draft pick in this draft.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not totally for the Cousins trade but I'm not totally against it. I'm sure a lot of us would consider it just for the excitement level even knowing we could never handle Golden State in a seven games series. We actually could afford to gamble and give our current pick because we have the Miami picks as a nice back up. Plus with our recent high picks and current youth we are not old by a long shot...Even with Cousins and Bledsoe.

WE CAN HAVE OUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO! :bday:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't say Cousins doesn't make me nervous. Even the Suns aren't Kings-level wacky but it's not like Phoenix has even half of Spurs-level stability. And obviously Watson is way more of a player's coach than, say, George Karl ... but I just wonder if a young team and a franchise without much recent history of success is the place for him. Just going by what you read in the media, of course.

He gets away with much thanks to the Sacramento media market. Phoenix would be a lot harder on/for him but could you just imagine if he ended up in a real media jungle such as New York or the DC area?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Jazz have two picks at 27 and 30... Interested? :sarcasm:

Unless I'm wrong, the Jazz select at #24 and #30.

I haven't studied much of the draft yet but I think in a quality draft (which this looks to be) there should still be good players that fall in the draft.

So yes, I probably would be interested. :lol:

Rudy Gobert was slected at #27 by Utah in 2013.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless I'm wrong, the Jazz select at #24 and #30.

I haven't studied much of the draft yet but I think in a quality draft (which this looks to be) there should still be good players that fall in the draft.

So yes, I probably would be interested. :lol:

Rudy Gobert was slected at #27 by Utah in 2013.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah...#24 and #30.

I don't even know if I'd give a Miami pick for those two...

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a guard driven league. If the Suns get lucky and get the second or first pick, it would be worth a lot. Trade down and draft Lauri. I would rather have Westbrook then Cousins.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah...#24 and #30.

I don't even know if I'd give a Miami pick for those two...

Well no. If the first Miami pick doesn't convey in 2018 (protected 1-7), both of the Miami picks in 2019 and 2021 will be unprotected.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think this draft will be similar to the 05 draft, that had a couple really good PG prospects in Chris Paul and Deron Williams but Bogut was selected #1 overall. A lot of people thought Paul was the best player in the draft but the league hadn't changed yet to a more guard driven style. Williams was picked #3 and Paul at #4 with Raymond Felton going #5. Marvin Williams was picked #2 ahead of those PG's also. There are 3 really good PG prospects with Ball, Fultz, and Dennis Smith at the top of the draft. There is also Frank Ntilikina from Europe. If we're after a PG there should definitely be a good prospect available in the top 5 and I don't think it matters if we pick #1 or #2 behind the Nets/Celtics because I don't see Boston picking a PG, although they could trade the pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He's better, but an All-Star? Let's be generous and say that the West All-Star team is going to have seven guards. You see him as a top-seven guard in the West?

Eh, probably not. Without thinking about it, I'd say Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul, Lillard would all come before him, and I am sure there is another two or three players who may be better. My point was intended to be more figurative. 24.4 points, 7.7 assists, 4.9 rebounds, on 43%, and 37% behind the line in January is really impressive. To me, those are all-star level numbers. He has also improved every month, and his overall numbers look great. He also doesn't fail the "eye test" nearly as often as he failed last year.